AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 04
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 61 32.11%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 59 31.05%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 42 22.11%
7 out of 10: Good... 19 10.00%
6 out of 10: Average... 4 2.11%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 0 0%
4 out of 10: Poor... 4 2.11%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 1 0.53%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-28, 17:06   Link #41
Deltaray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doria View Post
Pretty sure he called her his imouto, so younger. Don't recall for certain, though.
Yeah he did call her imouto, so younger it is.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 17:09   Link #42
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Maybe it's just me or the fansub that I watched but, Rosalia said she doesn't believe people die when they are killed in the game yet she herself is stuck in the game for god knows how. One would think that being stuck in a game is no laughing matter.
Old 2012-07-28, 17:11   Link #43
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
Maybe it's just me or the fansub that I watched but, Rosalia said she doesn't believe people die when they are killed in the game yet she herself is stuck in the game for god knows how. One would think that being stuck in a game is no laughing matter.
that is human brain for you. the ability to self deceive and rationionalize away irrational action is truly great
Old 2012-07-28, 17:19   Link #44
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I suppose this episode for the most part could be considered the first "fun" episode we've seen, though it still had it's purpose as it fleshed out Kirito a little more as a character by introducing some of his family and revealed the game's morality system, which will be good to know for the future so we can tell which characters to look out for and such.

Though, the specifics for orange-level morality kind of confuses me, at first I thought it was someone who only stole things from others, but when Rosalia mentioned that Kirito would go orange-level if he harmed her confused me a bit. Don't you go red-level if you PK someone?

Silica for the most part seemed like a character that was there to please the otaku audience. Her obvious crush on Kirito, the high-pitched squeaky voice, the short scene of her in her underwear (which is TOTALLY pointless in an MMORPG btw) and the numerous tentacled monsters that kept attacking her which I doubt was just a coincidence. She could've been much worse yes, but she didn't really give off the same vibes of a strong and dignified woman like Asuna did in episode 2.

I can't say whether or not she'll be appearing again either. The end of the episode suggested that she won't be though, which is a plus by my standards.

Again, for a filler-esque episode it could have been a LOT worse thanks to Silica, but they managed to refrain from going too over the top, so I really have no complaints.~
Old 2012-07-28, 17:22   Link #45
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaihan View Post
Favourite episode so far, Kirito didn't even need to fight against them, his regen did all the talking.
Visual on flower floor was quite an amazing place.
Though I did notice the amount of tentacle-like mob like targetting Silica...
You'd think Kayaba is a troll at its best. First he gives you a pretty flower land stage... and then proceeds to populate it with slimy disgusting tentacle mobs that can harm you both physically and mentally.
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 17:31   Link #46
Jerseykid

What happened to the main girl in all the title pics? I would have expected to see her a lot more by now
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 17:36   Link #47
Belgaesh

This was a great episode, with a much better pace than last episode. And what can I say, Silica is just so cute.
Belgaesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 17:39   Link #48
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Though, the specifics for orange-level morality kind of confuses me, at first I thought it was someone who only stole things from others, but when Rosalia mentioned that Kirito would go orange-level if he harmed her confused me a bit. Don't you go red-level if you PK someone
She said harm not kill. In many MMOs you'll get a first strike kind of thing for simply attacking a player and if you actually kill someone is when red kicks in.

From what he mentioned about him being fine with it being on him for a few days I'll assume it works on a system where you can slowly work off the orange/red marking by killing NPC monsters similar to a lot of MMOs with open world pvp (Especially Korean ones).

Gotta say so far I've been really impressed with the authors seemingly large breadth of knowledge when it comes to general MMO mechanics. Makes the show far more immersive and enjoyable as a hardcore MMO player myself.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 17:41   Link #49
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Though, the specifics for orange-level morality kind of confuses me, at first I thought it was someone who only stole things from others, but when Rosalia mentioned that Kirito would go orange-level if he harmed her confused me a bit. Don't you go red-level if you PK someone?
I got the impression that if he was to harm her, he'd go orange-level, but if he were to PK her, then he'd go red-level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykid View Post
What happened to the main girl in all the title pics? I would have expected to see her a lot more by now
*cough*Trapped in my signature.*cough*
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 17:42   Link #50
lansglenn

I can definitely appreciate a "happy" episode two let out all the steam of sadness and depression that's been building up.

Silica displays an honest and genuine personality that I find very endearing.

10/10 No complaints.

I would've docked a point for lack of significant "meaning" in this episode, but it's forgivable since it's a first offense.
Old 2012-07-28, 17:46   Link #51
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Great episode. Black Swordsman has always been one of my favorite SS's and the transitions were much more natural compared to last week. No complaints from me

As a side note: is it just me, or do the blue dots on his cape look weird?
Old 2012-07-28, 17:48   Link #52
Awrya
U mad?

Did Kirito pull a Lelouch when he covered his face with his hand?

Like a boss, casually slapping enemies with his sword

The thing I'm most impressed about is the coordination of the thieves. Consecutively attacking someone with sword skills must have required a lot of practice.
Old 2012-07-28, 17:53   Link #53
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
I got the impression that if he was to harm her, he'd go orange-level, but if he were to PK her, then he'd go red-level.
Ah but the point I'm trying to make is that wouldn't Kirito already be at a high enough level that he would be able to PK her with just a single attack? He said it himself that strength in SAO is nothing but data values and if high enough, you're practically invincible.
Old 2012-07-28, 17:53   Link #54
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
Did Kirito pull a Lelouch when he covered his face with his hand?

Like a boss, casually slapping enemies with his sword

The thing I'm most impressed about is the coordination of the thieves. Consecutively attacking someone with sword skills must have required a lot of practice.
I'm actually more impressed that they animated their attack sequence so smoothly, you can see each different hit taking turn to land instead of just a bunch of flash swipes.
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 17:56   Link #55
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Ah but the point I'm trying to make is that wouldn't Kirito already be at a high enough level that he would be able to PK her with just a single attack? He said it himself that strength in SAO is nothing but statistics and if high enough, you're practically invincible.
Ahh, right. Well, I guess it depends on the type of attack; a normal swipe might just damage her, but a sword skill might kill her. He has to have some type of weak attack, right?
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 18:02   Link #56
Archmagination2002

I guess it wasn't explained as well as it could have been. There is truly no Red for killing another player.. Red is what the players call those people/guilds who kill other players.

The game system makes no distinction between stealing/attacking/killing another player.. they all go Orange for breaking the rules. So when Kirito says he has no problem going Orange for awhile that means he was actually willing to kill her if she wouldn't cooperate. Kirito=Badass!
Archmagination2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 18:05   Link #57
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by styr View Post
edit: Also, anyone else notice that one of Rosalia-san's accomplices was dual wielding axes? During the scene when Silica looks at the group across the bridge he is standing on the far right with his midriff showing. When all of her thugs activate skills you can even see both of his axes glow pink/magenta for a second. Unique skill?
Yes, I noticed.
I'm sure a lot of people noticed that guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
It's to show how they're used to ganging up on their victims (aka players).

Quote:
Ahh, right. Well, I guess it depends on the type of attack; a normal swipe might just damage her, but a sword skill might kill her. He has to have some type of weak attack, right?
It was shown on ep 3 (when he chooses Tracking in the skill menu) that Kirito has Throwing Knife skill.
Compared to a melee attack, it's probably weaker.
Old 2012-07-28, 18:18   Link #58
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

That was a good adaptation, a lot better than the last two episodes.

The story itself isn't too important, but it was an excellent introduction to PK-ing in SWO.

A simple fun way of introducing some of the more important game mechanics to the audience.
don_Durandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 18:18   Link #59
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Maybe, but that would entirely depend on just how much of a distance there is between their player levels. I could easily believe that Kirito would only need to be at least 15 to 20 levels higher than his opponent for a single non-skill sword strike to be an instant kill attack. If the the difference was only 10 or so then maybe she would survive albeit with very heavy damage.

Quote:
It was shown on ep 3 (when he chooses Tracking in the skill menu) that Kirito has Throwing Knife skill.
Compared to a melee attack, it's probably weaker.
Cause the best course of action is to throw a enemy-tracking knife at your target when you have your sword directly against their throat right?
Old 2012-07-28, 18:31   Link #60
bludvein

I truly have no complaints about this episode. It was a near-perfect adaptation and the animation was excellent. If there is one downside its the seeming unimportance of the episode in relation to the main story, but that was a problem even in the original. No way to fix it without writing original material, which probably wouldn't be well received.
bludvein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion