AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-04-15, 19:06   Link #601
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
On another note, has anyone here tried to get something like 365 project done (a photo a day for a year)?
I started one yesterday (don't see why it would have to be started on Jan. 1st) and I'm already starting to regret it.
I've seen and followed quite a few, but never did one, myself. I think it would feel like a real accomplishment at the end of it, but I don't see the point to doing it for myself. Photography is a fun thing for me; if I forced myself to do it every day, it would come to feel like a stressful chore. Most shots would probably start to look the same and uninspired. The "one a week" projects seem more feasible, but even then you're still forcing yourself. Let the creativity flow on its own, I say
Old 2012-04-16, 13:30   Link #602
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
I'm no artist, but I've taken quite a few photos in my travels, most of which I've never gotten around to sorting and uploading to my web albums, but check out what I have. I usually take more video footage than pics since I tend to do more vlogging, but if I see a photo opportunity, I'll take it.
https://picasaweb.google.com/106251153595111582998

This one is still my favorite. 30 sec exposure, 12:00am from my friends rooftop in the Judaein Desert. He's really in the middle of nowhere.
Click this if you want it smaller http://s1-02.twitpicproxy.com/photos/full/535564368.jpg
Spoiler for Very LARGE Night shot:
Old 2012-04-17, 16:29   Link #603
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I've seen and followed quite a few, but never did one, myself. I think it would feel like a real accomplishment at the end of it, but I don't see the point to doing it for myself. Photography is a fun thing for me; if I forced myself to do it every day, it would come to feel like a stressful chore. Most shots would probably start to look the same and uninspired. The "one a week" projects seem more feasible, but even then you're still forcing yourself. Let the creativity flow on its own, I say
For the most part I actually agree with you on this one. I'm quite mindful of the fact that it wouldn't be a minor miracle if I get to the end of the project, it would be a major one. One thing I've already decided is that if this project is about to take the fun out of photography I'll just stop.

Though recent experiences have shown me that when needed I can get down and dirty and dig up at least some degree of inspiration out of quite deep gutters. So I'm not going to give up easily. Every once in a while it's good to push yourself outside of your comfort zone and see what happens. I have so far paid little attention to the small interesting tidbits of photo ops around me. To me the process has always been that I go out with something specific in mind, be that place, theme or what ever. Always with a plan of some sort. So what makes this experiment quite interesting is the fact that it's something that's quite alien to my usual methods. Sort of throwing myself at the mercy of the elements.

And even as I'm only starting my second week I'm feeling that there's a change in the way I observe my surroundings. I'm seeing just a little bit more, simply because I'm looking. And even though there's a moderate amount of pressure to come up with something, the minute you find it, it's pretty much an instant reward. So I believe that if I manage to muddle through somehow, this will change the way I look at photography, for the better.

I did something similar about a year ago actually though in a completely different field. I compiled about 1+ hour long playlists on Spotify and published them weekly. It was surprisingly difficult given that I wanted each one of them to have some kind of theme or common nominator. In the end a bit less than a half of these playlists ended up being just albums that I picked but there was a challenge in that as well, not just quite as big one. I managed a year of that even though I hadn't set any specific goal as to how long I'd keep it up. And what I was left with was 52+ Spotify playlists, some of which were quite interesting and representing quite a varied field of musical genres.

But as I said, if it begins to feel like work more than a hobby, I'll rather cut my losses with the project rather than have fun removed from the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
I'm no artist, but I've taken quite a few photos in my travels, most of which I've never gotten around to sorting and uploading to my web albums, but check out what I have. I usually take more video footage than pics since I tend to do more vlogging, but if I see a photo opportunity, I'll take it.
https://picasaweb.google.com/106251153595111582998

This one is still my favorite. 30 sec exposure, 12:00am from my friends rooftop in the Judaein Desert. He's really in the middle of nowhere.
Click this if you want it smaller http://s1-02.twitpicproxy.com/photos/full/535564368.jpg
Spoiler for Very LARGE Night shot:
Skimmed through your albums. I do have to say deserts do make for fantastic subjects for photos. I still hold that Mojave desert is the most beautiful place I've ever visited. Long exposure shots are quite nice as well. Nice job considering the equipment.

Though I you don't mind I'd drop one piece of constructive criticism. Watch those horizons they're crooked in quite a few of your photos and frankly not enough for it to seem intentional. It's a relatively easy fix so I'll sacrifice a bit of image area and fix them. Well, that's probably something that bothers me more than most anyway.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 23:01   Link #604
xAdversus
スーパー素晴らしいカメラマン!

Prom Shoot by ericcmakk, on Flickr

Here's another contribution for the thread. Had a prom shoot today!

Also your local Northern California photographer.
xAdversus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 23:10   Link #605
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Sophie is quite the looker, however the sunburst seems to be washing her out.

Endless "" Soul
Old 2012-04-21, 23:12   Link #606
xAdversus
スーパー素晴らしいカメラマン!

Yeah, but I love sunflares. :3

Old 2012-04-22, 13:13   Link #607
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Here are a couple of recent shots I took while the weather was good. =]

Nothing real fancy.

Spoiler for click:

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 17:06   Link #608
escimo
Paparazzi

@xAdversus
Can't say I'm a fan of the flare either. However it has to be said it's good that it seems to be real. The people who use photoshop lens flare in photos should have their fingers cut of and eyes digged out of their sockets...

@Drake
I like the animal photos. The expression on the goat is priceless.

Here's a panorama I shot today. Click for high res version. To be noted, it's almost 6MB.

Old 2012-04-22, 17:33   Link #609
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

The goat was awesome ! and it was tiny like a little puppy goat D=

Anyway thats cool escimo I love pano's but I've yet to actually do a proper one myself, the only time I ever attempted it I ended up with a dodgy horizon.

Old 2012-04-22, 18:53   Link #610
xAdversus
スーパー素晴らしいカメラマン!

@escimo - I'm absolutely horrid in post processing. I wouldn't add a fake sunflare even I knew how. Lol. I didn't want the flare to be so drastic, but I was shooting without a hood, so it turned out to have extremely long flare lines. :/

Old 2012-04-23, 09:50   Link #611
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Here's a panorama I shot today. Click for high res version. To be noted, it's almost 6MB.

Nice one! What camera are you using?
Old 2012-04-23, 11:24   Link #612
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Quote:

Skimmed through your albums. I do have to say deserts do make for fantastic subjects for photos. I still hold that Mojave desert is the most beautiful place I've ever visited. Long exposure shots are quite nice as well. Nice job considering the equipment.

Though I you don't mind I'd drop one piece of constructive criticism. Watch those horizons they're crooked in quite a few of your photos and frankly not enough for it to seem intentional. It's a relatively easy fix so I'll sacrifice a bit of image area and fix them. Well, that's probably something that bothers me more than most anyway.
I know nothing about photography not to mention that my camera is really bad in sunlight since there is no eye view-finder. Only the screen that attracts a lot of glare. I'd love to hear more on how to fix those problems though.
Old 2012-04-24, 06:00   Link #613
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAdversus View Post
@escimo - I'm absolutely horrid in post processing. I wouldn't add a fake sunflare even I knew how. Lol. I didn't want the flare to be so drastic, but I was shooting without a hood, so it turned out to have extremely long flare lines. :/
Well, that would be the next thing for you to work on. Especially if you shoot JPEG. Adobe dropped the price of Lightroom to relatively reasonable level and that and shooting in RAW gives you a lot of flexibility in terms of workflow. If you choose to get Lightroom and have any questions about it I'd be glad to help as much as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Nice one! What camera are you using?
This was taken with Olympus PEN E-P1 and Voigtländer 25mm F/0.95 Nokton. It was shot in manual mode at F/8 and ISO 200 with an exposure time around 1/1000s. (Not sure about the exposure time though. I used a cheapo monopod for stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
I know nothing about photography not to mention that my camera is really bad in sunlight since there is no eye view-finder. Only the screen that attracts a lot of glare. I'd love to hear more on how to fix those problems though.
Correcting a crooked horizon is extremely easy in basically any image processing software, including free ones like gimp. Most of them have some kind of image rotation adjustment. However it's good to note that unless you leave the blank spaces resulting from rotating the image, you'll lose part of the image area when you crop the image. Either way it's always best to try to get the angle as correct as possible when shooting. There are also cheap small spirit levels available that you can attach to your camera. These can be bought in most camera stores. Some cameras have a similar feature built in.

---

On a side note, Adobe released Photoshop CS6 for preorder. It's available also with subscription license which costs $19.99/month (plus possible VAT) in US. That's for one year subscription. It's also available with Month-to-Month subscription for $10/month more. Us Europeans have to pay a bit more once again... A free public beta is still available for a while longer.

With a year's subscription I think the price begins to be quite reasonable. As a year's subscription costs about the same as the upgrade from previous version.

Sorry for the advertising and no, I'm not an Adobe employee. Just happen to like what they've been doing lately.
Old 2012-04-27, 19:39   Link #614
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Been taking some monotone shots lately.

Spoiler for pics:

Also some others I forgot to post previous. =]

Old 2012-04-30, 08:21   Link #615
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Been taking some monotone shots lately.
This is wonderful!

---

I'll just drop this here... I'm one happy camper right now.

Day 21. 2012/04/30 by J. Savio, on Flickr
Old 2012-04-30, 19:12   Link #616
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Cheers =]

Thats an expensive setup you've got there, maybe you could share the wealth =D

In other news,

Spoiler for Click:

Last edited by Drake; 2012-04-30 at 19:24.
Old 2012-05-02, 21:27   Link #617
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Some really flooring photographs uploaded here, great stuff. Since I'm planning on entering a Film & Media Arts degree course very soon, I'm hoping to grab myself a proper camera and start learning the basics of framing and all that.

Perhaps someone can offer some recommendations for which one I should buy? Basically, I'm looking for crystal clear quality on pictures (not focusing on wide-angle lenses and the such right away) with the option to record high definition video as well (and none of those that only allow limited periods of filming at a time). Size doesn't really matter, and trivial issues like colour aren't a concern either. Of course, longer battery is preferable (hopefully one with a built-in charge battery instead of replacing them) and finally, my budget will probably run from anything up to around $400. I'm quite aware that will limit my choices, but I don't need professional quality as of yet. Needless to say, a decent amount of optical zoom (instead of digital) is preferable as well.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.
Old 2012-05-04, 01:16   Link #618
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Scratch that question, actually. I somehow managed to get an awesome deal on a brand new Canon EOS Rebel T2i today. I only did manage to start out with a simple 18-55mm lens for the time being, but I figure I'll have access to better ones once I actually learn how to fully operate this thing.

No time like the present to start learning.
Old 2012-05-07, 16:11   Link #619
xAdversus
スーパー素晴らしいカメラマン!

Day 46/366 - Starry Seattle by Connor Surdi | www.connorsurdi.com, on Flickr

a landscape shot that a good buddy of mine took. quite breathe taking

Old 2012-05-08, 12:10   Link #620
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

I recently uploaded my favorite photo of mine to National Geographic and I think it would be pretty cool if it got into the magazine.
I posted this photo before in this thread, but if you like it please vote honestly on in.
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/my...llery/1369401/

protip: You need to register to vote/upload etc

Tags
photography