Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-09-28, 03:09   Link #241
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjacat View Post
I believe Monami's job is in fact MUCH simpler: she's there to lure Izumida away from Ryoko. She's exactly like Ryoko, except she's nicer and she can cook!

They know Ryoko well enough to be aware of the Izumida-shaped hole in her armor.
That's one way of looking it, but I think her main purpose is to replace Ryoko herself. I mean, whether Ryoko is interested in Izumida or not will not affect such an aim at all. But she does want Izumida to go to her side of course.

...And so, episode 13 ends this series. So, how does it end?

Spoiler:

So it's over. Damn... To be honest, most of the time the plot is simply incredulous and even downright weird. However as we all know, the main strength of this show lies with its characters (specifically, Ryoko and Izumida) and how they interact with one another throughout the series. For that, I'm already satisfied and I would certainly like to see more of this duo hopefully sometime in the future.

I won't be holding my breath though. It seems this series has been overshadowed by other offerings this season, so unfortunately it seems to be quite unlikely.

Last edited by kujoe; 2008-09-28 at 03:22.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 04:26   Link #242
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Most funniest of all was the Ryoko/Izumida/Monami/Yukiko love (shape) angle for a bit. XP

PS - Any seiyu for Monami or shall we forever be left not knowing?

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 05:53   Link #243
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 12

Well, it certainly kept in tune with the rest of the series so far. One minute Ryoko is dodging tanks and missiles from helicopters, the next she's having a shower and stealing an elegant (and very sexy) red dress. It is all incredulous, yet I can't wait to find out how it all ends.

Nonagase ended up having a very disappointing motivation. Power, that he doesn't even fully understand. Yawn.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 10:25   Link #244
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
The ending of episode 12 is so very... Ryoko.

The plot is as nonsensical as ever, but I just don't care. It's shame they waited 'till episode 10 to introduce the actual plot, though it's nice to see bits and pieces from the earlier parts of the series play a role.

I'm disapointed episode 13 is the last one, that show has more potential than that.
Ninjacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 13:43   Link #245
Dakkar
N/A

Quote:
It's shame they waited 'till episode 10 to introduce the actual plot, though it's nice to see bits and pieces from the earlier parts of the series play a role.
The show basically follows Izumida's point of view, and for him all the events shown in earlier episodes were weird and unrelated. Ryoko was giving out vibes of knowing a way more than lies on the surface, but kept details to herself.
Now, as the main conflict has been brought into light, all the pieces from before are falling into their places, which shows that this conspiracy has been planned and prepared for quite a long time.
This approach might not be the most convenient for viewers, but there's nothing wrong with it...
Dakkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 16:19   Link #246
kujoe
from head to heel

I forgot to mention that Izumida has a new dream at episode 13. A good one too, if I might add... even though Izumida doesn't consider it as such.

Spoiler for Izumida's new dream:
Old 2008-09-29, 23:47   Link #247
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
they can at least kiss once, for god's sake x.x
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 02:23   Link #248
Zippicus

I enjoyed this series quite a bit. A lot of it was pretty crazy but no more so than some of the stranger X-files episodes, which is somewhat how I viewed this series. My favorite part in the last episode was when Yukiko lost it and was laughing manically firing those machine guns lol.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 18:23   Link #249
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

LOLed pretty hard when she had two Type 89s at her hands. Man, I wonder why she can hold 'em. XP

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island

Last edited by Yu Ominae; 2012-02-13 at 03:22.
Old 2008-10-05, 21:12   Link #250
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
An enjoyable ending to an enjoyable ride. Asses were kicked, stuff exploded, Yukiko had her awesome moment, bad guys were punished, good guys prevailed. And everyone happily rides into the sunset. Including the main antagonist.

I usually hate open endings where nothing is really resolved, but it fits that series very well. I'd love a second season!
Ninjacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 22:27   Link #251
kujoe
from head to heel

I want a Christmas special.

First, because Christmas would probably be hell for Izumida, since Christmas is a time for love in Japan. All those shopping bags that Izumida is carrying? That's probably just the start.

And second, what would Christmas be without some villain trying to cause a mess of some sort?

Gift giving, mistletoes, and a new case... Yep, I want a special alright.
Old 2008-10-06, 00:41   Link #252
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

@Ninjacat

- Emphasis on the Type 90.

And yeah, I feel like doing a fanfic on this or maybe Blassreiter. XP

Old 2008-10-06, 07:15   Link #253
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
An enjoyable ending to an enjoyable ride. Asses were kicked, stuff exploded, Yukiko had her awesome moment, bad guys were punished, good guys prevailed. And everyone happily rides into the sunset. Including the main antagonist.
Yeah, pretty much. It's not really the sort of ending you take all that seriously, but neither was the whole show. I dunno what I thought of the ending. Nothing changed, for one, and the interactions between Izumida and Ryoko that made this series so amusing to watch kinda went to the background in this last ep. I think I'll rate this ending with an "eh", which isn't quite a "meh", but it's close.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 22:38   Link #254
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I finally got around to watching the last three episodes.

I thought the play on the anime cliche of taking down the Tower was one of the funniest parts of the closing episode. That, and of course, Yukiko and her dual machine guns. I was glad to see her character have a role to play other than being a foil for Ryoko. (I still think Kuwashima was wasted in the role, though.)

The last arc was notably better than the rest of the show. They certainly left open the possibility for more Ryoko since we know there are lots more Isurugi clones out there waiting to wreak revenge on our heroine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
PS - Any seiyu for Monami or shall we forever be left not knowing?
Is that the last person in the cast list, the one with the question mark instead of a name? Perhaps it's Ryoko's VA?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 23:02   Link #255
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Credits on the last ep said it Hitomi-san, same seiyu of Ryoko. Different pitch of her voice at work.

I found out later after.

Old 2008-10-14, 23:03   Link #256
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgz View Post
they can at least kiss once, for god's sake x.x
Talk about no resolution to the love part of the show.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-31, 02:04   Link #257
Undertaker

Sorry not been around to follow the theard, was busy with work.

Finally caught up with the series and finished, I stand my ground that is is and slightly above average show with great characters and get consideralbe extra point if you follow the novels.

Episodes and the monster aren't as good as novels since novels has much more researchs behind them and much more coherent in terms of plot but looks the series as a whole, it's pretty much in line with how novels constructed. And if treat it as one snigle plot it wasn't bad, with everything (what was shown as it is) ties together in the end nicely inside the series' setting.

First there are isolated incidents that seems unrelated from the view of Izumida (series's POV) through he knew there's more than meets the eye and Ryoko know more than she let on. Than he try to figure out what Ryoko knows and piece everything together while get Yukiko and co. involved, and lastly finally catching up to Ryoko's plan/action and solve the case. In between,we are treated with sexiness of Ryoko-sama and the great character interaction between her and Izumida.

Only question I have in the end is how this series will play in turn of the continuity of the novel series? It's obvious the series took place after the latest novel and there were various referense back them through out. But with introduction of Monami, I wonder if she'll play part in Tanaka's new novels?

BTW, after the start of Tytania, 5 of Tanaka's series has made anime-transition. (LOGH, Ryoko, Tytania, Arslan, Shoryuden) with couple other having manga adaption (LOGH, Ryoko, Ambition Waltz,etc) Further solidify his place and one of the TOP WRITER in ASIA and undisputed in anime/manga circle. Although that still does not cuse him for been digging up too many holes and unable to fulfill them as LOGH is still his only series that officialy ended, (Arslan I ended , but Arslan II is still listed as ongoing) with multiple unfinished series that last saw new releases over 10 years ago.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 18:37   Link #258
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Been a while since I watched the show.

Did JACES have a full meaning like the JPP (Japanese/Japan Private Police)?

Also, is Yukiko the daughter of an ex-PM or police chief? Think my facts are mixed up.

Last edited by Yu Ominae; 2010-03-24 at 19:12.
Old 2010-05-29, 00:47   Link #259
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

Just finished this series. It was an above average show for myself. The interactions between Ryoko(She is now one of my favorite characters) and Izumida was definitely the best part of the series in my opinion. Too bad Izumida is so dense though.

One of my disappoints is not knowing what Ryoko imagined when she almost committed suicide due to those bugs in episode 8. Obviously had something to do seeing Izumida.

I was there was an way to read the novel or manga online. Can't find it anywhere.

Last edited by SonOfHeaven; 2010-05-29 at 01:11.
SonOfHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-15, 11:16   Link #260
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
REVIEW TIME

Something-something Jikenbo is basically a mystery series, a combination of CSI Miami and Supernatural (the series). It has to do with weird crimes that always end up having something supernatural (the term) about them. The protagonist is also the main attraction of the show, Ryoko the investigator. She is a highly dynamic, highly cunning, and super sexy woman, and as long as you like her charm, then the rest of what is going on in the show don’t matter. It seems as if people dying by the hundreds and martial law being enforced are less important that watching her devious smirk, her mesmerizing eyes and her perfect curves. But she wouldn’t be able to do all that without someone next to her to be compared to and here is where her assistant Izumida, a male police investigator. He is also a handsome guy but always tries to look serious and distant, unwilling to mix business and pleasure. A thing that is hard with her boss constantly teasing him in various ways. Practically Ryoko is a sadist who loves to torment guys with her charms before she sends her dog Izumida to beat them up and make them spill everything they know. An he is a rather unsecured with himself young man who does his best to not fall for her… but ends up being her lapdog anyway.

The chemistry of the main duo is the most important element of the show and, again, as long as you like their relationship you can stop worrying about what is going on with the plot. Because if you do chances are you will fall asleep. Each case is performed in a very straightforward manner and no matter how much they try to make it look scary, or mysterious, or different, it is still nothing but a simplistic route of going from place A to place B after an easy to follow line of thought. Plus the whole deal is lacking very much in excitement as the protagonists are almost almighty in whatever they are doing and their opponents make terrible mistakes. So watching Izumida carrying the several heavy luggage of Ryoko, while she is telling him what a good job he does is more interesting that a super virus that can kill anyone in the world. Plus not everything is logical or that scientific from a detective’s point of view and all cases end up being non-detective with so many magic stuff they have in them.

The rest of the cast is completely flat and you hardly get to see them being colorized. They are there just playing their roles without anything for you to care about. The most interesting amongst them is Ryoko’s main rival and her own aid, and only because they are identical counterparts with less charm and screen-time.

The production values are very good, as everything is drawn with great detail and good lighting and shadowing effects. The OST is also made to feel like it fits the show, Jazz, Blues, and a touch of film-noir. Both lack some fine details to count as super great but are otherwise very good.

In all, this show is not really good. The only thing that is cool is Ryoko and her dog Izumida. The cases are played out in a silly and boring way, the rest of the cast is uninteresting, and even the main duo never develops to anything more than what you see them at first. Replay value is practically zero and your enjoyment equals how many episodes you could stare at those two before getting bored with the rest. I managed to stand them for three.

If you liked it, also try Kuroshitsuji. It is gayer but it has more weirdness in visuals to keep you interested for more.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supernatural