Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2010-05-30, 21:09   Link #1
Ayame_
Ever Bright, Ever Blue
*Graphic Designer

MKV video and audio lag

I seems this is a common problem from some of the other threads ive read here. Not sure if mine is totally the same, but ive never had MKV problems before until lately in this anime season, Angel Beats from Mazui has been the major problem.
Comp specs
Toshiba Satellite laptop, 3 years old.

Intel(R) Core Duo(TM) CPU T2450 @ 2.00 GHz
2 gigs of RAM
32 bit OS
Windows Vista SP 2

I was using the newest MPC HC and CCCP codecs, I read a recommendation to try Shark codecs, which I am doing currently.

Problem was that the video would lag and then the audio would lag and cut out to try and resync, but it never would, when id try and pause the video in MPC HC it would keep playing, only at a slower speed, not sure what is going on, thanks for any advice.
Old 2010-05-31, 06:05   Link #2
JEEB
Bishoujo fanatic
*Fansubber

Your computer is just a bit more powerful than the TL-50 I used to have on an XP system, so having playback problems on a bit "heavier" system such as Vista is not exactly unnatural.
  • First of all, remove all codec packs and such and re-install CCCP so that all settings are reset. Try to play it back (in the included MPC-HC).
  • If not acceptable, open the CCCP settings app and enable 'MT' instead of 'H.264' (it's the multithreaded H.264 decoder, and yes -- it's set up a bit weirdly, but IIRC someone (*cough* Lord *cough*) just wanted to win space over anything else so it was done like that). Try to play it back once more. If you have an nvidia video chip on the laptop, try setting the renderer to Haali's from the default EVR-CP as mentioned here (just in case you're being hit by a problem with certain nvidia drivers and/or certain other components).
  • If it still doesn't work, try the 2010-05-21 beta from here. The betas already have automatic multithreading on on CPUs that have >1 core and have updated components. The ffmpeg in ffdshow, f.ex. has been quite updated since the last release (there was quite some speedup on H.264 decoding around after the change in years). Try playing the release back.
  • If it still doesn't work, it just means that your laptop isn't fast enough for it. Or that your environment is broken. Or the file is broken. You can always diagnose the problem with the CCCP insurgent. Make a test render and a full log -- and post that in code tags here, or onto the CCCP pastebin while linking to the bin here. It would help coming to some kind of conclusion.
Old 2010-05-31, 09:54   Link #3
Ayame_
Ever Bright, Ever Blue
*Graphic Designer

KK so here is the insurgent test tender report

File: C:\Users\Matt\Documents\Azureus Downloads\[Mazui]_Angel_Beats_-_09_[78AE467F].mkv

Filter 0: Default DirectSound Device
Filename: quartz.dll
Filter CRC: CRC Unavailable.
Date: ERROR: File Not Found.
Filter 1: Video Renderer
Filename: quartz.dll
Filter CRC: CRC Unavailable.
Date: ERROR: File Not Found.
Filter 2: ffdshow Audio Decoder
Filename: C:\Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\Filters\FFDShow\ffdshow.ax
Filter CRC: 4917B290
Date: 2009-08-30 | 22:14:16
Filter 3: DirectVobSub (auto-loading version)
Filename: C:\Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\Filters\VSFilter.dll
Filter CRC: B787032D
Date: 2009-08-30 | 23:51:48
Filter 4: ffdshow Video Decoder
Filename: C:\Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\Filters\FFDShow\ffdshow.ax
Filter CRC: 4917B290
Date: 2009-08-30 | 22:14:16
Filter 5: C:\Users\Matt\Documents\Azureus Downloads\[Mazui]_Angel_Beats_-_09_[78AE467F].mkv
Filename: C:\Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\Filters\Haali\splitter.ax
Filter CRC: 125697A6
Date: 2009-03-24 | 21:32:24

Ill let you good folks interpret that. I just dont get why this is happening now, my laptop could play 1080p videos with no lag just a short time ago, now 720 is lagging big time. I just dont understand what happened. It can play old mkv files back fine, but the new ones it has some trouble with. Thanks for the assistance.
Spoiler for full log:
Old 2010-05-31, 14:47   Link #4
PositronCannon
*Fansubber

My laptop has the same specs except for a less powerful processor (Core Duo 1.66GHz), and it runs everything 720p perfectly (and rarely has issues with 1080p), so I doubt it's the specs, really. I use the K-Lite Codec Pack though, but seeing the reputation it seems to have around here, I guess that doesn't have anything to do with anything.
Old 2010-05-31, 16:54   Link #5
Ayame_
Ever Bright, Ever Blue
*Graphic Designer

Ah k, yeah I think my specs are going to be okay, like its only 3 years old and it ran things fine not too long ago, so I dont think its a hardware issue. I hope not anyways, id be depressing to have to get a new laptop, but i guess i could go over to avi...
Old 2010-05-31, 16:57   Link #6
JEEB
Bishoujo fanatic
*Fansubber

Going by the log with a quick look I really can't see anything that would mean a broken system on the DirectShow side, even though you have some payware filters installed for specific apps (thankfully they don't seem to be overtaking anything in a bad way).

As for "other 720p encodes play fine" -- every encode is different and different things that add/remove from the load exist. Thus comparing to something really isn't that good of a thing. So -- as I alreay said: Reset settings from the settings app and try enabling the multithreading decoder. Or just upgrade to the beta I mentioned in my earlier post. The beta contains much newer ffdshow-tryouts, Haali's splitter as well as MPC-HC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #cccp
<@Lord> and the latest beta is better in more aspects than worse than the last release afaik
as well as the beta wiki page should tell you enough about how good the current newest beta is :V (the upgrade "problem" only happens with beta-to-beta and doesn't break anything -- it just tells you to manually uninstall and install instead of getting the usual upgrade when installing the next.)

If after this you still have problems, do try the Overlay renderer (will kill Aero, but is somewhat faster). Otherwise you might wish to think about trying some alternative H.264 decoders. ffmpeg's multithreaded decoder is quite fast, but commercial alternatives might give some extra performance. See the DivX H.264 and CoreAVC wiki articles on getting such installed if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositronCannon View Post
I use the K-Lite Codec Pack though, but seeing the reputation it seems to have around here, I guess that doesn't have anything to do with anything.
There's a reason for the negative reputation it has, mostly because it contains all kinds of things, some of which are most probably not a-OK to be given to others without permission (not to mention that they're mostly unneeded). Also, after you select the components to install, the installer tries to hack it all together so that nothing breaks too badly (at least that's what he tries). Is this sane software design? If it works for you, great. Still, I would probably re-think about recommending it to others. Kierank (they guy who added NAL-HRD to x264) reacted hard towards clsid on that matter, but since it was the ffdshow-tryouts thread his posts got removed by a moderator as being off-topic. CCCP's minimalism strikes me as being a much better alternative. You can remove things from the install if you want to keep something of your own, but there's nothing wrong and no internal overlap done with selecting it all -- which actually is the default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositronCannon View Post
My laptop has the same specs except for a less powerful processor (Core Duo 1.66GHz), and it runs everything 720p perfectly (and rarely has issues with 1080p), so I doubt it's the specs, really.
The TL-50 was a 1.6GHz dual core AMD CPU, on XP with CoreAVC it could do 720p nicely with Haali's, and 1440x1080 with overlay. 1920x1080 was a no-go (at least at more CPU-intensive settings). So yeah, as long as multithreading is on, I wouldn't really think that the 720p video decoding itself should be a problem (at stable 24/1.001fps rate and not calculating in subtitle rendering). The playback package you're using most probably set the multithreading on automatically on install, as the newer CCCP builds do when they find more than one core on the machine.
Old 2010-05-31, 17:43   Link #7
Ayame_
Ever Bright, Ever Blue
*Graphic Designer

Bless multithreading, thank you for the help. Angel Beats! 09 Opening still had one audio slag on the opening but it was better after that. Much appreciated, I may upgrade to that beta anyways, to see if i can beat the punch on any other problems.
Old 2010-05-31, 19:28   Link #8
PositronCannon
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEB View Post
There's a reason for the negative reputation it has, mostly because it contains all kinds of things, some of which are most probably not a-OK to be given to others without permission (not to mention that they're mostly unneeded). Also, after you select the components to install, the installer tries to hack it all together so that nothing breaks too badly (at least that's what he tries). Is this sane software design? If it works for you, great. Still, I would probably re-think about recommending it to others. Kierank (they guy who added NAL-HRD to x264) reacted hard towards clsid on that matter, but since it was the ffdshow-tryouts thread his posts got removed by a moderator as being off-topic. CCCP's minimalism strikes me as being a much better alternative. You can remove things from the install if you want to keep something of your own, but there's nothing wrong and no internal overlap done with selecting it all -- which actually is the default.
Yeah, I understand. I wasn't really recommending it, more of a "just saying" thing. I had my reasons to use KLCP instead of CCCP in the past; not really anymore, but as long as it works and gives no issues, no point in changing now.

As a fansubber, I always recommend CCCP as playback solution, anyway.
Old 2010-06-09, 04:27   Link #9
Phillip C

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayame_ View Post
I seems this is a common problem from some of the other threads ive read here. Not sure if mine is totally the same, but ive never had MKV problems before until lately in this anime season, Angel Beats from Mazui has been the major problem.
Comp specs
Toshiba Satellite laptop, 3 years old.

Intel(R) Core Duo(TM) CPU T2450 @ 2.00 GHz
2 gigs of RAM
32 bit OS
Windows Vista SP 2

I was using the newest MPC HC and CCCP codecs, I read a recommendation to try Shark codecs, which I am doing currently.

Problem was that the video would lag and then the audio would lag and cut out to try and resync, but it never would, when id try and pause the video in MPC HC it would keep playing, only at a slower speed, not sure what is going on, thanks for any advice.
I joined the forums looking for an answer to the exact problem.
My laptop played videos perfectly until i upgraded to windows 7

specs were
Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5800 operating at 2.0GHz
4GB of DDR2 SDRAM memory
64 bit OS
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD graphics with up to 1759MB shared memory

720p and 1080p videos became unwatchable and I looked at every possible solution from changing codecs to more advanced options. I finally took some advice and downloaded SMPlayer. I was told it was one of the more advanced players available and that i shouldn't fear the options that are included. SMPlayer is the BEST player I have used. Nothing is sluggish and playback is now back to where it was before i upgraded. I HIGHLY recommend SMPlayer. It will save you alot of headaches and alot of time to get back to watching anime
Old 2011-02-10, 22:37   Link #10
Friday
Im shy too...

want to watch .​hack⁄⁄Quantum but video lagging about 2 sec but the sound is normal.

win xp, ie7
have CCCP 2010 etc....
all other mkv are working fine...

help
Old 2011-02-13, 12:14   Link #11
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
want to watch .​hack⁄⁄Quantum but video lagging about 2 sec but the sound is normal.

win xp, ie7
have CCCP 2010 etc....
all other mkv are working fine...

help
whats your CPU? and what resolution is the video your playing? high resolution videos like 720p and above will need more powerful CPU, so if you got a CPU that has Pentium 4 or Athlon64 performance then forget HD or 720p resolution, just download SD ones or 480p and below videos