AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-13, 09:10   Link #601
The Butcher
Butchered Taste

Great episode. Dragon's army didn't stand a chance in hell.

Every time you hear that OP, it tell something epic/bad ass is about to happen.

Koko trolls everyone who stand in her way. Also make sure they get so screwed they can't recover.

God Koko is so awesome.
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 11:10   Link #602
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Y'know, if any other girl was using that SAW para the way Valmet was, I'd say that'd be unrealistic hax.

Given, however, that we've seen just exactly what kind of body Valmet has, I can completely buy her handling that SAW para as if it was an MP5.

I have to admire Koko's style - and the show also hints that she's not on the best of terms with her Father. Interesting... and what's more, HCLI has their own fleet of spy satellites that Koko can call upon. Wonder if they're into private sat surveillance as well...

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 14:14   Link #603
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Two big surprises: Mao survived all the death flags he triggered last ep, and the doctor wasn't treacherous.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 14:55   Link #604
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
HCLI has their own fleet of spy satellites that Koko can call upon. Wonder if they're into private sat surveillance as well...
Note the rocket launch in the OP and the first episode.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 16:54   Link #605
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Two big surprises: Mao survived all the death flags he triggered last ep, and the doctor wasn't treacherous.
Death flags.
On another note, Loved the action on this episode. By the time it ended, I wondered was that really 20 mins?

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 18:10   Link #606
kimpleng
Lurker

I don't understand how AA battery work.
Aren't modern AA battery using radar for targeting system?
Why they blaming infrared jammer?
Is there low end (cheap) version that using infrared sensor for tracking the target?
kimpleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 18:14   Link #607
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaihan View Post
Death flags.
On another note, Loved the action on this episode. By the time it ended, I wondered was that really 20 mins?
Oh man same here, totally thought the ep was gonna end after them flying away but it continued on a little further than I expected!

Dunno why but I have to admit I was expecting something a little more along the lines of this

Onwards to my favorite part of the series!
Old 2012-06-13, 19:41   Link #608
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpleng View Post
I don't understand how AA battery work.
Aren't modern AA battery using radar for targeting system?
Why they blaming infrared jammer?
Is there low end (cheap) version that using infrared sensor for tracking the target?
The infrared jamming's for the Strela 2M2J Sava, which is the Yugoslav-made version of the Soviet-made Strela 2 (or SA-7 Grail). And since it has a poor reputation of being used against IR jamming (regardless if it's natural/artificial), the Sava has a tendency to fail in hitting its target.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 21:04   Link #609
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I'm enjoying this show, but I know I'd be enjoying it a lot more if it actually had a budget. I find that too bad really. OST is great though.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 23:12   Link #610
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

BTW, what plane was Koko's team flying? Was it a C-130 Hercules or Antonov An-12 since different sources says it's either the former or latter.
Old 2012-06-13, 23:33   Link #611
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Definetely an An-12 since a C-130 has a different look, which I would definitely notice with the cockpit exterior for instance.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2012-06-14, 00:13   Link #612
Southern Cross
Crux

Quote:
I have to admire Koko's style - and the show also hints that she's not on the best of terms with her Father. Interesting...
The conversation she had in the latter half of the episode provided some great, telling insight about the "family business." Considering how the guy she was on the line with was talking about how her dad wanted to improve influence with the Doctors' organization and the CIA, that means her dad pretty much knew in advance what Koko was going to do in the crazy situation she was thrown in down to Koko rescuing the Doctors' leader and leaving a bound Dragon for the CIA to apprehend with ease.

So it's implied that Koko's father set up the poorly timed crossing-of-paths between Koko and the Dragon, probably by hinting to the Dragon that his daughter was harboring the Doctors, just to get Koko to stand up for the Doctors (even though it's all just business to her) and get rid of the Dragon for good (again, more business although she probably just personally wanted him out of the picture for messing with her business) in his plot to advance his political intrigue.

Her father probably knows how lethal she is so I think he just purposely uses her to deal with his dirty laundry in situations like this, to my understanding. From this, Floyd seems so mafioso to me, and that is a pretty awesome touch. It's great how characters who don't even appear at all can still be very interesting.

I love this show, and this episode exemplified everything great about it. How long is this supposed to be running for, anyway?
Southern Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 00:53   Link #613
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

All in all, it's a good episode - you really are enjoying yourself when the episode ends and you go, "Wait, so fast?"

Regards the flechette rounds for that 122mm artillery gun, while it's primarily intended for taking out infantry in the open, the steel flechettes can penetrate lightly armored vehicles, and while they may not be able to kill the SA-6 launcher and the ZSU-23, both units will be mission killed, as the flechettes will destroy the guidance and communications systems, and the exposed crew will be killed.

Somehow, I'm kinda thinking that Mao is from Vietnam, given that IIRC it maintains soviet block tube artillery; the US has gotten out of using flechette rounds - or beehive, as they were called during the Vietnam War - in favor of case shot and HE set to airburst, while there's still a fair bit of beehive in Russian/ex-Soviet stocks.

I have to say, as befits a combat engineer, Wiley is definately the man to see when you want something blown up. Especially turning a beehive round into a giant claymore mine.

As for sources saying it's a C-130, I can't really say, unless they changed it from the manga to the anime... or it's confusion caused by the "angel wings" smoke pattern of the flares, which is commonly associated with the MC-130 Combat Talon.

And I'm rather tickled by Mao hitting so many death flags... and ending up being the man of the hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Cross View Post
The conversation she had in the latter half of the episode provided some great, telling insight about the "family business." Considering how the guy she was on the line with was talking about how her dad wanted to improve influence with the Doctors' organization and the CIA, that means her dad pretty much knew in advance what Koko was going to do in the crazy situation she was thrown in down to Koko rescuing the Doctors' leader and leaving a bound Dragon for the CIA to apprehend with ease.

So it's implied that Koko's father set up the poorly timed crossing-of-paths between Koko and the Dragon, probably by hinting to the Dragon that his daughter was harboring the Doctors, just to get Koko to stand up for the Doctors (even though it's all just business to her) and get rid of the Dragon for good (again, more business although she probably just personally wanted him out of the picture for messing with her business) in his plot to advance his political intrigue.

Her father probably knows how lethal she is so I think he just purposely uses her to deal with his dirty laundry in situations like this, to my understanding. From this, Floyd seems so mafioso to me, and that is a pretty awesome touch. It's great how characters who don't even appear at all can still be very interesting.

I love this show, and this episode exemplified everything great about it. How long is this supposed to be running for, anyway?
Exactly; this is the kind of show where if you think a little, things become so much clearer, and you can really see that plotting wise, this is above most other shows on TV.

Season One of Jormungand is 13 eps, so we have another 3 more to go; after that, they'll air a second season in September, IIRC.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-06-14, 01:13   Link #614
grss1982

Quote:
All in all, it's a good episode - you really are enjoying yourself when the episode ends and you go, "Wait, so fast?"

Regards the flechette rounds for that 122mm artillery gun, while it's primarily intended for taking out infantry in the open, the steel flechettes can penetrate lightly armored vehicles, and while they may not be able to kill the SA-6 launcher and the ZSU-23, both units will be mission killed, as the flechettes will destroy the guidance and communications systems, and the exposed crew will be killed.

Somehow, I'm kinda thinking that Mao is from Vietnam, given that IIRC it maintains soviet block tube artillery; the US has gotten out of using flechette rounds - or beehive, as they were called during the Vietnam War - in favor of case shot and HE set to airburst, while there's still a fair bit of beehive in Russian/ex-Soviet stocks.

I have to say, as befits a combat engineer, Wiley is definately the man to see when you want something blown up. Especially turning a beehive round into a giant claymore mine.

As for sources saying it's a C-130, I can't really say, unless they changed it from the manga to the anime... or it's confusion caused by the "angel wings" smoke pattern of the flares, which is commonly associated with the MC-130 Combat Talon.

And I'm rather tickled by Mao hitting so many death flags... and ending up being the man of the hour.

Exactly; this is the kind of show where if you think a little, things become so much clearer, and you can really see that plotting wise, this is above most other shows on TV.

Season One of Jormungand is 13 eps, so we have another 3 more to go; after that, they'll air a second season in September, IIRC.
IIRC, the C-130 does not have a glass observation deck on the nose as seen in the previous episode where Koko asked Jonah to come to the front of the plane.

BTW, the clackers that Willey was using are they really re-usable in real life? I mean I thought those clackers are used for detonating claymore mines only?
Old 2012-06-14, 01:16   Link #615
Dop
Mmmm....

Yes, definitely an AN-12!

I knew it had to be a Russian aircraft because of the nose glazing, which was a common design feature even on Russian airliners. They were for 'navigational purposes', obviously, and not for bomb aiming purposes...!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 01:23   Link #616
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:

I suddenly think that Mao may be from Malaysia/Singapore for example due to the Austronesian-like features and all and that his country was peaceful. And that Mao is a Chinese name and in this case, both these countries have a Chinese population.

I'd say Philippines (where yours truly came from) due to the tiger stripe camo that the military uses (well, some spec ops units actually), but it's a no-no since we're still dealing with a commie-led insurgency and a Muslim independence-led insurgency, although the latter's settling for autonomy last I heard.

I'm sure those who read/seen the manga are laughing at the claims that Mao would die. No spoilers for that one unless you want to take it to the manga thread.

Old 2012-06-14, 02:43   Link #617
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by grss1982 View Post
IIRC, the C-130 does not have a glass observation deck on the nose as seen in the previous episode where Koko asked Jonah to come to the front of the plane.
To clarify: I can't say why those sources said it was a C-130, unless the angel wings confused them - I'm quite aware that the C-130 doesn't have a glass observation deck, and it's remarkably different from an An-12. I also meant to say that having not read the manga, I'm not sure if the plane was an An-12 in the manga as well - can we get some confirmation on that?

Quote:
BTW, the clackers that Willey was using are they really re-usable in real life? I mean I thought those clackers are used for detonating claymore mines only?
They're commonly used to detonate claymores, but combat engineers also use them to detonate explosives. And yes, they're reusable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
I suddenly think that Mao may be from Malaysia/Singapore for example due to the Austronesian-like features and all and that his country was peaceful. And that Mao is a Chinese name and in this case, both these countries have a Chinese population.

I'd say Philippines (where yours truly came from) due to the tiger stripe camo that the military uses (well, some spec ops units actually), but it's a no-no since we're still dealing with a commie-led insurgency and a Muslim independence-led insurgency, although the latter's settling for autonomy last I heard.

I'm sure those who read/seen the manga are laughing at the claims that Mao would die. No spoilers for that one unless you want to take it to the manga thread.
Point, although IIRC the commie-led insurgency was fading away during Ramos' days? Depending on how long it's been since he joined Koko - it's implied that he's been with her crew for a long time - Mao might have joined up about ten years ago? IIRC there was a period where things were quiet in the Phillipines?

Edit: Sorry, forgot about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Note the rocket launch in the OP and the first episode.
Noted on both points. What I was wondering about was whether HCLI is in the private surveillance business, or whether they're keeping their own psy sats in orbit to take care of their interests. Both would be rather worrying, IMO.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2012-06-14 at 03:17.
Old 2012-06-14, 09:25   Link #618
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yeah, I was amazed Mao survived. He was never even in any real danger, at least not any more than the other members of the team. The idea that the doctor might be treacherous didn't occur to me...
Old 2012-06-14, 12:01   Link #619
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Yes, definitely an AN-12!

I knew it had to be a Russian aircraft because of the nose glazing, which was a common design feature even on Russian airliners. They were for 'navigational purposes', obviously, and not for bomb aiming purposes...!
But it turned into AC-130 in the end anyway
Old 2012-06-14, 15:38   Link #620
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
To clarify: I can't say why those sources said it was a C-130, unless the angel wings confused them - I'm quite aware that the C-130 doesn't have a glass observation deck, and it's remarkably different from an An-12. I also meant to say that having not read the manga, I'm not sure if the plane was an An-12 in the manga as well - can we get some confirmation on that?

Point, although IIRC the commie-led insurgency was fading away during Ramos' days? Depending on how long it's been since he joined Koko - it's implied that he's been with her crew for a long time - Mao might have joined up about ten years ago? IIRC there was a period where things were quiet in the Philippines?
I can confirm that it is an An-12 since the nose is much different from the C-130, which Jonah was to view the ground from the sky with Koko.

And yeah, that would be President Aquino, who was almost responsible for defeating the communist insurgency. The rectification movement, which purged the New People's Army of any potential double agents, only made things worse when the group had greater numbers in the 90s due to corruption, poverty and greater inequality in the countryside. The only time things were quiet is in December when the NPA gets a ceasefire with the government... After that, they just shoot each other in the new year.

Spoiler for Meanwhile... Damn you, Takahashi! I want those patches!:

Last edited by Yu Ominae; 2012-06-15 at 05:01.

Tags
action, gunfights, seinen