Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Bleach

Notices

Old 2009-05-11, 01:09   Link #1641
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewanderer View Post
The Amagai arc isn't canon with either the manga or anime. It won't effect anything.
what is "canon" (sorry noob question)
Gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-11, 01:19   Link #1642
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyte View Post
what is "canon" (sorry noob question)
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/canon

Dictionary.com ftw =D
Old 2009-05-11, 01:26   Link #1643
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Quote:
14. Printing. a 48-point type.
dont really see what this has to do with bleach, is that the font the manga is printed in?
Gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-11, 04:15   Link #1644
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
Canon, in terms of a fictional universe, is any material that is considered to be "genuine", or can be directly referenced as material produced by the original author or creator of a series. Basically, something that is "canon" means that it is something that "actually happened" in that fictional universe. An example of something non-canon is a fan-fiction; a fan fiction about a particular story is not "canon", as the story in the fan fiction never actually happened in that fictional universe.
Yeah, in context, filler isn't canon, the manga is. Of course, this might be debatable, as filler police san might explain gleefully.

Shelter: here:http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=62750
Scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-11, 06:27   Link #1645
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I found a good example to clarify the matter, see fullmetal alchemist season 1: the story diverged greatly from the manga but it was still canon, because the way things happened crucially affected the main plot afterwards, without "returning" to the manga plot, and ending in a totally different way.
On the other side, see the notorious filler hell of naruto: from 136 to 218-ish, whatever happens is of little or no importance and does not mean progress of any kind;there are no references of these events later on (unless it's used to take up time or another filler arc connects to it, making a side story), and you could watch 218 after 136 without missing anything, meaning that the episodes in between do not contribute to the story.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-11, 19:24   Link #1646
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scep View Post
Yeah, in context, filler isn't canon, the manga is. Of course, this might be debatable
The definition of "canon" is bullshit. Implying that nothing the mangaka writes isn't "genuine" is sickening. The anime staff is just as official as Kubo's work. Kubo don't own Bleach, and if he died, the anime team could legally continue Bleach if they wanted. Kubo isn't Bleach, anime continuity is genuine, and there isn't a damned good reason the words "canon" or "filler" should be thrown around so freaking discriminately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scep View Post
as filler police san might explain gleefully.
Grow up.
Old 2009-05-12, 04:13   Link #1647
kitten320

Quote:
The definition of "canon" is bullshit. Implying that nothing the mangaka writes isn't "genuine" is sickening. The anime staff is just as official as Kubo's work. Kubo don't own Bleach, and if he died, the anime team could legally continue Bleach if they wanted. Kubo isn't Bleach, anime continuity is genuine, and there isn't a damned good reason the words "canon" or "filler" should be thrown around so freaking discriminately.
I so agree with you!
It gets freaking annoying when people go arond 'Fillers don't count!'.
If they didn't count, why they would be made in the first place?!

They could simply stop doing anime for some time
Old 2009-05-12, 08:06   Link #1648
Kafriel
Senior Guest

The words filler and canon exist, people use them to separate material that is crucial to the story and material that is not. I don't give a dime about "real" and "original", I only use the words to separate two different things, because people can get easily confused.If you're understanding something else then it's your problem.
Quote:
One piece has been running for a decade and in 400 episodes very few were "filler", and it all followed a single plot. Unlike other anime that make use of a plot and then throw it in the trashcan, leaving people with questions like "when are we going to see <insert filler character name> again in action?", which is why filler characters either die or disappear forever.
Quote:
To have something to air while the manga's getting ahead, so that the anime won't have to make an anime-exclusive main plot and diverge from the manga, ending prematurely.
Old 2009-05-12, 08:08   Link #1649
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

AFAIK, fanfiction has no limits to its content, unlike fillers which still stick to the metaphysics of a specific fictional universe. I say something that is "canon" must mean instead that it is something that "can actually happen" in that fictional universe according to its metaphysics.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 08:12   Link #1650
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

Quote:

Grow up.
Grow up? Oh hey, are your words some kind of growth serum? Like, extra height? I wouldn't mind that actually.

Yeah. The anime team could legally continue bleach if they wanted. Legally speaking, they can turn the next episode of bleach into 30 minutes of niceboat. There are alot of things that they can do. But the question is whether they will do so. Yes, they can alter the storyline. But would they do so?

Also, this isn't a discussion thread, so lets stop here.
Scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 09:06   Link #1651
Konpachi
Sinear Mambur

Quote:
The Amagai arc isn't canon with either the manga or anime. It won't effect anything.

Wrong. Being anime original don't have anything to do with that. Because the Amagai arc is out-of-continuity is the sole reason it won't effect anything, not because Kubo didn't write it.

Don't give opinions out like that as if they were fact.
It wasn't an opinion. Even if it was, what you said was just that as well, and yet you are similarly 'giving them out as if it were fact'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I so agree with you!
It gets freaking annoying when people go arond 'Fillers don't count!'.

More people would freak at there being no Bleach to filler-Bleach. Also, this is a business, they make money from the episodes.

Lastly, to settle this canonity issue, we should look at it like Star Wars. The manga holds a higher level of genuinity than the anime does.

Quote:
When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves — and only the films. Even novelizations are interpretations of the film, and while they are largely true to George Lucas' vision (he works quite closely with the novel authors), the method in which they are written does allow for some minor differences. The novelizations are written concurrently with the film's production, so variations in detail do creep in from time to time. Nonetheless, they should be regarded as very accurate depictions of the fictional Star Wars movies.
I suppose this would apply to translations. For absolute canon, one can only take apart the exact words Kubo wrote (in Japanese, of course). However, as mentioned in the quote, most translations would still be regarded as very accurate.

Also, (I can't seem to find the quote but the gist of it is that) everything in the anime is considered canon until/unless something more official (eg. the manga) contradicts it.
Konpachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 09:39   Link #1652
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
The words filler and canon exist, people use them to separate material that is crucial to the story and material that is not. I don't give a dime about "real" and "original", I only use the words to separate two different things, because people can get easily confused.If you're understanding something else then it's your problem.
The fact is, being "filler" or "canon" don't have anything to do with whether or not something has to do with the story. There's nothing to say, no official document that states that anime original material can't add to the storyline. They're official material too, so they logically should have an equal shot at the "main story". Also, these so-called "fillers" can not only have a story to tell of their own, but they can even cover and flesh out the background or history as well.

Don't believe me? Well just look at that "filler" Bount arc. It might not've had much to do with that Aizen shit, but it actually explained that the Bount race were prototypes for modsouls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
AFAIK, fanfiction has no limits to its content, unlike fillers which still stick to the metaphysics of a specific fictional universe. I say something that is "canon" must mean instead that it is something that "can actually happen" in that fictional universe according to its metaphysics.
That's so true.

But the manga itself has to stick to things that can "actually happen" in it's own content.

Anyway, I apologize for momentarily derailing this thread. I just said what had to be said
Old 2009-05-14, 14:23   Link #1653
Meisterdieb

The anime is canon as well, unless...
- Kubo says otherwise
- or some facts in the anime contradict facts in the manga in which case the manga (having come first) would take precedent)

(Compare with Star Wars where much of the Expanded Universe is considered canon as well, with the movies being absolute canon. But most of the other works (Clone Wars series), novels etc are considered canon as well. There are exceptions but they are "marked" as non-canon)
Meisterdieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 14:32   Link #1654
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

This is NOT a Debate or Speculation thread . If you want to debate discuss or speculate make use of the appropriate threads. Henceforth please keep that in mind ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Please, no speculation in the Q&A thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
This thread is for those with questions about the Bleach anime or manga. Please keep discussion about episodes in the relevant threads. And please don't ask things like asking who is stronger or more capable of winning a fight, only ask questions that can actually be answered as facts from the anime or manga.
Old 2009-05-20, 17:25   Link #1655
hyperviper

How come not a single "good guy" in Bleach die? And what happens if they die? Go back to "Soul Society" since it's like "heaven"?

That's just ridiculous
hyperviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-21, 11:46   Link #1656
Kafriel
Senior Guest

When shinigami die they become the spirit particles that compose SS, as explained by Kaien in rukia's flashbacks. Good guys don't die because the author chooses so, can't do anything about it.
Old 2009-05-23, 17:51   Link #1657
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
I don't know if this was answered before and I'm not even sure if it's fit to ask in this thread but I'll go along anyway.

How many Shonen Jump's Bleach Character polls were there and when does it happen? Was it once a year or few times in a month. I'm interested to see what characters progressed and who went down.
Old 2009-05-24, 03:58   Link #1658
Double_Edge
Cool Lander

What is the name of the song that starts at 3: 42?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viDU7...eature=related
Old 2009-05-27, 08:48   Link #1659
Konpachi
Sinear Mambur

Crimson Cloud:

Let's predict the next popularity poll results.
Konpachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 20:40   Link #1660
saffy
English Butter

Somethings been bugging me while I dipped out of Bleach for a while, what was Orihime's use to Aizen? was it simply to lure the shinigami? Or are there other theories involved? if so what is the factual basis for this?

Im betting this may already have been answered but there's so many pages to get through :S
saffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
q&a