AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-02, 02:22   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Thumbs up Autumn 2004 Banner Contest!!!!

Welcome to the new Autumn banner contest. You've seen the cool banners we have at the top of our forum. Some of you remember the last banner contest. Others have wondered where those cool banners come from. In case you didn't know, they were made by people on this forum. Now is your chance to make a banner that will grace our forum for at least the next season.

Banners may contain anime artwork from any source including your own art. They must be anime related and they must be appropriate for our forum. The theme for this banner contest is the season of Autumn. That means falling leaves, Halloween, Ginko and anything else that fits with the season. Feel free to use your imagination. I'm hoping that we'll see some original artwork this year.

The rest of the rules:
  • All entries must have a Autumn theme.
  • The edges of all banners must blend into the top bar. Please see below for details.
  • All entries must be in GIF, PNG or JPG format. Remember, we want the banner to be able to load quickly for the sake of 56Kers so no animations will be accepted and filesize should be kept to 20K or less.
  • Each member may only enter 3 banners maximum. If you go over this number you need to specify which banners to use or else your last 3 entries will be used.
  • Members will only have until 06:00:00 Fri Sep 10 2004 in GMT. Check Time Zone Converter for information on what time this is near you. (In EST this is 2am Friday morning... or really late Thursday night. Actually that is about the same time I posted this thread. )
  • This thread is to be used for banner entries only. Nominations in this thread will be ignored. However it is the place to tell each other which banners you like, I just won't count it as a nomination.
  • On September 9th, 2004 a new thread will be created in which everyone will nominate their favorite banners. This will be immediately after the banner creation thread is closed. Nominations will run until September 16th, 2004 at which time the nomination thread will be closed.
  • At this time the 10 most popular banners will be put up on a poll for the entire forum to vote for since more people respond to polls that don't require them to post. Each contestant will only be listed once regardless of how many banners he entered.
  • The poll will close on Sept 21 after exactly 5 days of voting. Polls close automatically so please check the poll for information concerning when it will close in your timezone. Note that the following day is Autumn and hopefully we'll have the winning banners up in time.
  • The three most popular banners will be chosen to rotate at the top of our forum.
  • Of these three, One is the winner and the other two are runner ups. The winner is the contestant whose entry got the greatest number of votes. As recognition of the accomplishment this winner will recieve a special prize generously donated by Keitaro: a $35 gift certificate to Amazon.Com.

Disclaimers:
  • I may disqualify any banner deemed to be offensive or inappropriate.
  • No moderators (of any rank) are allowed to win the grand prize. If by some stroke of brilliant artistry one of us does win, the prize will go to the first runner up.
  • All nominated banners become property of AnimeSuki and may be used now or in future years without asking your permission.

If you want to use the AnimeSuki font, there it is.

The edges of the banner must blend into the top bar. That means the very edge of the template below must not be covered by any image or else it will look like it has been cut off. If a mistake is made on edge blending we will all try to point it out so that it can be fixed. Banners whose edges are messed up will be ineligable.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-09-04 at 18:20.
Old 2004-09-02, 03:41   Link #2
Green˛
It's bacon!

Canned
^ ver1.1: Recompressed due to compression error

Canned
^ ver1.2b: Slightly blended edges/Increased color saturation

(^ It means that it's time to get the heated pools ready. )

^ ver2.0: Still undecided if the edges are blended enough.

/Above banners will be tweaked over time if needed. Many other banners currently in the works.

Last edited by Green˛; 2004-09-03 at 16:58. Reason: Additions/Changes
Old 2004-09-02, 05:26   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Very nice Green˛ but...

The left and right edge doesn't blend into the background very well (IMHO). I placed your image onto a 1000 x 60 (extended) background and it stands out to much. Could you not simply merge the two images together at the edges, going from the wavey darker blue to the solid lighter blue.
Old 2004-09-02, 10:14   Link #4
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

(all my banners are below)
EDIT: Hope im allowed alterations later on o.o

---
(I've narrowed it down to...)
Halloween:

Autumn:

---
Current Top 3:

comments, criticism, and ratings are all welcome! Please give me your thoughts!

Last edited by ChibiDusk; 2004-09-04 at 14:38.
Old 2004-09-02, 11:33   Link #5
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
NoSanninWa, you're so predictable. I could tell you were going to make the banner contest today by just seeing you earlier today by you viewing the Spring contest, but now I wonder why there was never a Summer Banner Contest.....

Green: Yeah, it's just a little too dark and would have of a Summer feel, but it's still very nice. I'm sure you can make it a tad bit lighter.

Overall: 88%

I will edit my post if you have made any changes.
Old 2004-09-02, 12:32   Link #6
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Ok, I made something for this animesuki banner contest ^_^ I have no idea -what- exactly to call it, but basically...you upload your image, and it shows the banner in the position ontop the forums. Ok, heres the steps in using it:

1: Click this URL (http://geocities.yahoo.com/filemanager)
2: Log-in, username: twidesinet and password: Mognet
2.5: (then go to "File Manager" if your not already there.)
3: Delete the file 1.gif
4: upload your banner (you must name it 1.gif, I don't know if it *has* to be gif, if it's jpg or png just try renaming it to .gif and see if that works)

5: Open this page: (http://www.geocities.com/twidesinet/banner-gen.html)
If it's not your banner, then someone else uploaded before you viewed it. I'm not expecting a huge amount of people to use this, so I don't think that would ever occur. If it does, just try again in a few moments. Hope it comes in handy!

Last edited by ChibiDusk; 2004-09-02 at 12:57.
Old 2004-09-02, 13:00   Link #7
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
a question, is it possible to make the banner appear in the vBulletin skin? probably not, but I have get used to this calm blue instead of the brownish animesuki style, btw I know NSW use this skin too, dont you miss the banner?

I will do some banners later, this is fun! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
NoSanninWa, you're so predictable. I could tell you were going to make the banner contest today by just seeing you earlier today by you viewing the Spring contest, but now I wonder why there was never a Summer Banner Contest.....
Razer you are creepy
Old 2004-09-02, 13:14   Link #8
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
I could tell you were going to make the banner contest today by just seeing you earlier today by you viewing the Spring contest
What were you doing, refresh NoSanninWa's personnal detail page every five seconds? XD

I didn't do a banner last time, I guess I will show my noobish PSCS skill this time

It is ok for me to use in-game characters right?
Old 2004-09-02, 15:13   Link #9
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Well, here's my attempt...

Old 2004-09-02, 15:14   Link #10
Anbu_33

Send a message via MSN to Anbu_33
ok , first one done , dont actually know if ill do the other 2 since im kinda busy , ill just see if i can , hehe , helps me practice my skills

Old 2004-09-02, 15:36   Link #11
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbu_33
ok , first one done , dont actually know if ill do the other 2 since im kinda busy , ill just see if i can , hehe , helps me practice my skills
Sorry but this is no good since the background colour of your banner doesn't even attempt to match the light blue background of the template (you know, that image NoSanninWa posted at the start of the thread).
Quote:
The edges of the banner must blend into the top bar. That means the very edge of the template below must not be covered by any image or else it will look like it has been cut off. If a mistake is made on edge blending we will all try to point it out so that it can be fixed. Banners whose edges are messed up will be ineligable.

Old 2004-09-02, 15:36   Link #12
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

another sad attempt
I'll make more then three, then just pick the three I want to be used to represent myself, if that's ok with the mods?

Old 2004-09-02, 15:40   Link #13
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDusk
another sad attempt
I'll make more then three, then just pick the three I want to be used to represent myself, if that's ok with the mods?
That's fine by us. Good luck as you must be one of the favourites

About making more than three, here's a hint (didn't anyone read the first post...)
  • Each member may only enter 3 banners maximum. If you go over this number, only your last 3 entries will be used.
Note to others: Now, see how the left and right edges of boneyjellyfish's and ChibiDusk's banners merges into the template. That's how it should be done (except for the "subsidiary" comment, tsk)
Old 2004-09-02, 15:59   Link #14
Necrodeath

We'll, I'll have a go too. Going to be hard to get something autumn themed though, I hate autumn. I prefer winter
Old 2004-09-02, 16:11   Link #15
Hellychan
~chibi tenshi~

Woohoo! The new banner contest has begun! ( Thx NSW! )
And as I can see, some nice banners have been already made

I've also made one (well, maybe too flashy ):

It's hard to keep the file under 20 Ko...^^;

I'm gonna try to make a Halloween one

EDIT: OK, my three

Last edited by Hellychan; 2004-09-07 at 15:29.
Old 2004-09-02, 16:21   Link #16
Anbu_33

Send a message via MSN to Anbu_33
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
Sorry but this is no good since the background colour of your banner doesn't even attempt to match the light blue background of the template (you know, that image NoSanninWa posted at the start of the thread).
wow , sorry , didnt know i had to use the template , well then back to work.

EIT-

ok here we go , just some color changes , hope i got it right this time , hehe ,

Last edited by Anbu_33; 2004-09-02 at 16:34.
Old 2004-09-02, 16:41   Link #17
Necrodeath

Sux royal ass if you ask me...

Sux somewhat less, but still sux at least mid-class ass...
Old 2004-09-02, 16:42   Link #18
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Looks nice, but chii seems a little stretched
Old 2004-09-02, 17:07   Link #19
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I guess I'll take a shot at this...
Old 2004-09-02, 17:26   Link #20
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

er, ok...should I stop posting them each time and just edit my existing post?
Come on people comments? likes? dislikes? just don't nominate, the rest is ok.

All of you must attempt it atleast! It's no fun with only a few.

Hellychan: ooooh, flashy! I really like it, brings out autumn in the colors
I see you use the leaves brushes aswell ^_^ Like the little wings on either side
Closed Thread

Tags
banner contest, contest