AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-20, 13:05   Link #1
scorpio516

Need some suggestions for my niece

OK so I'm looking for some fansub suggestions for my niece. She's almost 9, but can handle subs no problem. She likes shoujo, especially like Fruits Basket and Tsubasa Chronicles (and well anything CLAMP). But she also likes stuff like FF:AC and rurouni kenshin.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated!
Old 2006-06-20, 13:14   Link #2
jedinat

Angelic Layer
Stellvia of the Universe
Kaleido Star
Full Moon wo Sagashite

I dunno, those seem like anime a nine year old girl would like. To me, at least.
Old 2006-06-20, 13:22   Link #3
SlugZilla
woofles

Highly recommend The Strawberry Marshmallow if she likes slice of life with humor, the characters in it are around 10 and 11.
Old 2006-06-20, 13:26   Link #4
Keios
Q(°.°Q)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugZilla
Highly recommend The Strawberry Marshmallow if she likes slice of life with humor, the characters in it are around 10 and 11.
You stole my suggestion.

Anyway, it's very good.

Can't really think of anything else... Card Captor Sakura?

[edit] "and well anything CLAMP" ... should've realized she's already seen CCS. :/
Old 2006-06-20, 13:32   Link #5
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, I take it you have already seen CardCaptor Sakura and Chobits.

Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~ is very cute.
Aishiteruze Baby is great.

Your niece watches Rurouni Kenshin??? Yeah, well, can't blame her, I was watching more bloody stuff somehow...

Tsk, so hard to find good stuff for children...

Hmmm... now that I think about it... I think Chobits has too much fanservice for a 9yr old. Disregard that Hmm... and that scene with Kippei and Kokoro in Aishiteruze Baby might be a bit much... Or I'm imagining things.
Old 2006-06-20, 13:42   Link #6
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Hm, how 'bout watching Midori Days? It's a lighthearted anime with comedy and romance (anime is licensed). Mmm, if she likes fairy tale-like anime then let her watch The Good Witch of The West - the anime is still new and on going.

--> Btw, Rurouni Kenshin isn't that bloody. It's just too many fight here and there. If you want something bloody then try Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (Oh! and if your niece is easily get scared DO NOT LET HER WATCH THIS, you'll just give her nightmares )
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-06-20, 14:07   Link #7
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Eh, well, I think it's bloody enough for children... Not that I wasn't watching far worse... Tsk tsk, where were my parents Oh well, I turned out ok I guess, despite that

Second that. NO Higurashi
And don't let her watch AIR either... No point in getting her depressed for the rest of her life.

Hmm... To Heart and To Heart ~Remember my memories~ are ok from what I remember. She could watch those. Although the second has a bit of drama here and there.
But I think To Heart has been licensed.

Kokoro Library is a heartwarming series, but there's no action there, it's slice of life.

Last edited by npal; 2006-06-20 at 14:25.
Old 2006-06-20, 14:29   Link #8
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Speaking of slice of life, let her watch Sister Princess (licensed) and Sister Princess Re Pure. Now this anime is definitely people friendly. Also, if she likes dollies, then watch Rozen Maiden and Rozen Maiden Traumend. It has comedy and sillyness with fantasy and magic
Currently Watching:
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
~~~~
Old 2006-06-20, 14:41   Link #9
jedinat

Who thinks slice of life and such wouldn't be too boring for a nine year old?
I thought Kokoro Library, To Heart and such were on the slow side, and I like to think I have a greater attention span than a nine year old.

And I definitely don't think a nine year old girl would appreciate harem. But maybe I'm mistaken.

Ichigo Mashimaro almost seems to fit under the seinen genre, or is that just me? I know the manga with the lolicon fantasy portions definitely is leaning that way
Old 2006-06-20, 14:45   Link #10
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, I can't recommend stuff which have much higher ratings than her age, so that rules out most of the things I have I just recommend the things I liked that have lower ratings Plus, To Heart is not really a harem in its conversion
Old 2006-06-20, 14:48   Link #11
jedinat

Ah yeah, I was thinking Mahoraba and Sister Princess (which I havent actually seen) when I mentioned harem.
Old 2006-06-20, 14:50   Link #12
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Mahoraba is a romance/comedy love story actually. If you call that harem, pretty much everything that has more than one girl in it is harem
Old 2006-06-20, 14:58   Link #13
jedinat

Well, it's a matter of opinion of course. To me, if the guy is living with the girls it's a harem anime.

Not to mention the fact that the main girl is practically a harem by herself.
Old 2006-06-20, 15:08   Link #14
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

How about Ouran High School? It's reverse harem

You mean, if I marry a person with MPD, the only thing I can be is a sultan
Old 2006-06-20, 15:09   Link #15
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516
OK so I'm looking for some fansub suggestions for my niece. She's almost 9, but can handle subs no problem. She likes shoujo, especially like Fruits Basket and Tsubasa Chronicles (and well anything CLAMP). But she also likes stuff like FF:AC and rurouni kenshin.
Tsubasa Chronicles (like many Clamp works) is actually Shounen, not shoujo. It's serialized by Kodansha in their Weekly Shonen Magazine. I know because I buy it to read Tsubasa, Suzuka, Negima and School Rumble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
Ichigo Mashimaro almost seems to fit under the seinen genre, or is that just me? I know the manga with the lolicon fantasy portions definitely is leaning that way
Ichigo Mashimaro _is_ seinen, it's serialized in the same magazine that did Azumanga Daioh, Dengeki Daioh. That being said, I'm sure that there's nothing inappropriate in the anime, at least, for a 9 year old girl. My 8 year old son watches (and loves) Azumanga Daioh and I remember thinking that it had more inappropriate humor than Ichigo Mashimaro.

I'd second the recommendation of Full Moon wo Sagashite and throw in another for Ouran High Host Club and Kodansha.

If she likes Tsubasa Chronicles and Kenshin, you might try her on the Third and/or Shakugan no Shana. Inuyasha is also pretty popular at that age. You might try Fullmetal Alchemist, but it is exceptionally bloody. I would also throw out a recomendation for xxxHOLiC with Tsubasa, but it can be a little on the frightening side if that kind of thing bothers her.

But I should throw out the warning that I'm almost fanservice-blind. I literally don't notice it. So I can't remember how bad it is in the Third and Shana.
Old 2006-06-20, 15:14   Link #16
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
Not to mention the fact that the main girl is practically a harem by herself.
This is why I consider Mahoroba the _perfect_harem. One girl, many partners, legal in every state.

Seriously, harem undertones can't bother her that much, she watched Fruits Basket which is essentially a reversed harem situation.
Old 2006-06-20, 15:14   Link #17
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, if you don't count Hecate (ah... Hecate...) which is verbal, there's only Margery's fanservice part, which is not tremendous, I think it's just her yukata at some point. Then there are the girl swimsuits, but that's normal I guess. I don't remember anything else. I've watched only 1 The Third episode, so I can't tell But the first episode didn't have fanservice.

I don't know, I wouldn't want my kid watching Full Metal Alchemist. Too gory, too depressing.
Old 2006-06-20, 15:28   Link #18
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Mine loves Fullmetal Alchemist ... I think we have a tendency to get carried away about stuff like that. After all, it is designed to be consumed by boys between 8 and 18 (the same as Tsubasa Chronicles). I actually had a worse time deciding whether I should let him watch it because it questions whether or not a soul is real; however, ultimately I decided it was the kind of thing that would be allowable as long as we discussed it in the context of fiction.

Seriously, I saw Alien before I went to kindergarten and the Shining and Cujo not long after ... FMA is definately not at that level.
Old 2006-06-20, 15:30   Link #19
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Let' see....If you want to increase the age group a little, I can recommend you: Mahou Sensei Negima (licensed), Suzuka, and Love Hina (licensed). But if not then try watching Petite Princess Yucie (licensed) - it's quite good because I've watched it and enjoyed it myself
Currently Watching:
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
~~~~
Old 2006-06-20, 15:52   Link #20
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, if we want to increase the age group to Full Metal alchemist's level, Trigun would be nice. Nah, Tsukihime would be too heavy.

Well, you could watch School Rumble, it's a comedy/comedy Ok it has romance, too.

Full Metal Panic, all of it, falls in FMA's rating, so it's ok I guess.

Last edited by npal; 2006-06-20 at 16:05.
Closed Thread

Tags
children, family