AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2013-08-03, 13:47   Link #1
Deathrip

Lightbulb Deathrip's Light Novel Project: Magic Maelstorm x Trinity + Artworks

So for a while I had been thinking about drawing and writing a light novel and since three months ago I started drawing and thinking of a Light novel I would love to write. This is what came from it. I have yet to think of a name tho

Magic Maelstorm x Trinity

Synopsis
Since Miga was born in the Teru Family he has been familiar with magic since he was born. The Teru Family is the family who had revealed the magic "Trinity Forming Magic" after long researching. Trinity Forming is a kind of magic which is so strong that it requires three people to bond together to create a 'Trinity'. Since the reveal of Trinity Forming 20 years ago every school started only teaching Trinity Forming. It includes individual learning as well. Now Miga is 15 years old, he decides to enter Horo Academy, the leading Trinity Forming teaching high school, together with his friend Kagari. What he doesn't know is that this school has a secret which shouldn't be kept a secret. A dark secret which could erase all the magic off this world. If that isn't bad enough the world isn't in it's most peaceful state either. This is the story of a Trinity leader.

Spoiler for Chapter 1:

Spoiler for Chapter 2:

Spoiler for chapter 3:

Spoiler for chapter 4:

All constructive criticism is welcome by PM or writen in this thread. I shall update this thread regulary and when I feel like my art is good enough I shall add illustrations. For now please enjoy the story of Miga's Trinity ^_^.

Last edited by Deathrip; 2013-08-16 at 01:24.
Deathrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 22:45   Link #2
Deathrip

Reserve this for artwork.
Old 2013-08-04, 06:20   Link #3
Deathrip

As I reread my first chapter a bit I found some grammatical mistakes which I should have found the first time I reread it. I guess trying to look for mistakes at 3 am isn't a good idea but I just wanted to get my story started ^_^. If there are still grammatical mistakes made please PM me about it. I want to keep this thread as clean as possible.
Old 2013-08-04, 11:31   Link #4
Deathrip

Chapter 2 is out. Does anyone feel like there is something off in these last 2 chapters?
Spoiler for chapter 2:
Old 2013-08-05, 09:57   Link #5
Deathrip

And here comes chapter three. I always feel so motivated about things I just started so I literrally will spend 4-7 hours writing if I can.

Does it read better with spaces in between?

I finally thought of a title and then I find out you can't edit thread titles.* Sob *
Spoiler for Chapter 3:

Last edited by Deathrip; 2013-08-05 at 23:51.
Old 2013-08-06, 13:39   Link #6
Deathrip

Chapter 4 finish~
V
Spoiler for chapter 4:

Last edited by Deathrip; 2013-08-11 at 03:05.
Old 2013-08-10, 00:00   Link #7
RobotCat
In a Box

It's always cool to see people post their stories that they've been wanting to write. Anyways, I read the first chapter and I've highlighted some comments on just the first section:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrip View Post
11:10 AM 21 Februari 2045
You need to setup the scene somewhere here. Either before Mayumi's first line or after her first line. Pretty much the start of any anime/manga/film is an establishment shot of the setting, whether it's a school, a house, etc. It helps ground things, otherwise there will be a gap in people's perception of the scene, like actors acting in front of a green screen.
'Miga where are you going?' asked Mayumi.
This would be where setting up the scene would pay off. The way the dialogue is going seems to suggest that Miga's sister just caught him as he's leaving the house. However, it wouldn't make sense that Miga would just leave without telling his sister, so it'd make more sense if this conversation took place at the dining room table as the siblings are eating breakfast. However, this whole thing seems like a really big deal so it'd also be strange that Mayumi wouldn't know about it.
'I'm off to the school's entrance exam' .
You can just remove the word school here, it's already implied and in a real conversation he'd just use entrance exam.
'Ohhh! Who are your partners?'. Mayumi was clearly excited about her brother deciding to take the entrance exam. The reason is because her brother usually does everything by himself. That doesn't mean he has no friends, else this entrance would've been impossible. Reason being is that the exam is taken in groups of three people chosen by one self.
This part is a bit awkwardly written, I think something like this is a bit more clear->"Mayumi was clearly excited about her brother's decision. During all the years they've been living under this roof, Mayumi has always known Miga to be a lone wolf. The fact that Miga is undertaking this exam demonstrates that he is finally willing let his friends share the burden, as the exam must be taken in a group of three. "
'Kagari will be the one taking the male spot and the female spot will be determined on the Valiant Side.' said Miga while he was tying his shoelaces.
The dialogue here is a bit stiff, I think something more direct for the Kagari line, and something a bit more playful for the female spot line would be better ->"Kagari is taking the male spot, as for the female spot, I guess I'll find out at the Valiant Side."

I think what you need even before the first conversation is a short bit on what the Trinity System is, why it's important to Miga. You don't have to reveal hidden back stories or anything, but he should be excited for this, so describe his emotions/thoughts as he's getting read to leave for the entrance exam. Make the audience feel like this is a big deal and they'll be more interested in following along.

In general I feel the dialogue is a bit stifled. One thing you can try to do is say your lines out loud and then see if that's something you'd actually say. You'll realize that a lot of times people don't talk in complete sentences and will often drop words or allude to objects/persons without actually naming them. There are also a lot of breaks in between smaller phrases, which should be emphasized in the writing.

Finally, it might be a good idea to plan out where you want to insert your illustrations and just put them into the chapter themselves with placeholder descriptions.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 01:38   Link #8
Deathrip

^ Thanks for the tips.

When I started I thought out the Trinity System and wanted to have the story tell how it works, but now you mention it, it probably is confusing that it's not explained earlier.

Regarding the dialogues, I definitely will try to work on them and try to make them better after chapter 4. A really usefull tip, thanks.

The illustrations are already planned out on my own txt/word file ^_^.
Old 2013-08-10, 15:21   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Always assume you're going to rewrite something a dozen times or more -- and you may *still* find things awkward or wrong with the product. I make it clear that what people are seeing in my thread is "version 0.9" at best. My actual latest version is almost like an entirely new book (which would make sense as I'd actually like to publish it this year).

I'm trying to address some deep structural problems in my story that someone just pointed out -- painful after several hundred pages of rough drafting.
Old 2013-08-11, 02:57   Link #10
Deathrip

@Vexx I suppose. Then again, improvements can almost always be made so why not x).

Chapter 4 is up now ^_^. Time to revise the other chapters
Old 2013-08-15, 23:20   Link #11
RobotCat
In a Box

I read chapter two, and I think one of the biggest problems aside from the flow I pointed out in chapter one is you voice POV. You're basically using Third Person Omniscient right now, which is very difficult to write in if you don't have enough experience. One of the biggest problems caused by Third Person Omniscient is head jumping, where you quickly swap between the perspectives of the different characters all in the same scene, making it much more difficult for the reader to follow. It also feels less personal, and is used better for epics involving a lot of characters and a lot of narration.

Since you're going the light novel route where much of the interactions occurs via dialogue, and you're pretty much focused on your main character, something like third person limited is a much better fit. To change your story to third person limited, you just have to tweak it so that everything is viewed through Miga's point of view. Instead of directly telling us what other people are thinking, you can either allude to it via their dialogue or Miga can tell us what he thinks the other people are thinking based on his observations.

Miga is a far more interesting character than Kagari or any of the girls that you've introduced so far. If you wrap everything through Miga's point of view, he could give some interesting commentary based on his observation of what's happening. This is particularly useful to inject some additional flavor to the narration, which might be a bit dry otherwise.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deathrip novel art