AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-09-12, 00:22   Link #101
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think it's probably safe to assume it was forty-plus years after the divorce that Owner-san ended up with Rikyu's mother. I would imagine he grieved for a while at first after his divorce, but after that indulged his playboy side.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-12, 01:06   Link #102
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I don't really ascribe any real malice in what Owner did to Holmes' grandmother, although in light of the fact that he ended up moving on to a younger woman...
That younger woman wasn't even born at the time of the divorce. Though maybe she's the latest in a string of progressively younger women...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-12, 09:03   Link #103
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That younger woman wasn't even born at the time of the divorce. Though maybe she's the latest in a string of progressively younger women...
It could be his way of regaining the time lost with his ex-wife.
Old 2018-09-12, 12:59   Link #104
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
While I don't doubt that what Kiyotaka said is most likely the truth, and the grandfather left with the best of intentions, it's still pretty dumb and shitty. Considering the information came from a shaman that even he thought was a sham. There are waaay better situations (or at least more realistic) that could have been presented for why a spouse might need to leave their mate.

But I guess this partly explains why he hasn't married Ryoko. The shaman did say he'd curse his spouse, so by not making her his legal wife, I guess that makes everything OK.
Old 2018-09-12, 13:37   Link #105
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
While I don't doubt that what Kiyotaka said is most likely the truth, and the grandfather left with the best of intentions, it's still pretty dumb and shitty. Considering the information came from a shaman that even he thought was a sham. There are waaay better situations (or at least more realistic) that could have been presented for why a spouse might need to leave their mate.

But I guess this partly explains why he hasn't married Ryoko. The shaman did say he'd curse his spouse, so by not making her his legal wife, I guess that makes everything OK.
You got a point. If his karma can curse wife #1, then it should also curse wife #2. He already has an heir (to take care of him in his old age), so he be a playboy without any problems.
Old 2018-09-12, 20:47   Link #106
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
While putting its pair for sale in his shop. I don't actually begrudge him that, it's been more than fifty years after all. Past time to move on. But I'm not that impressed with the gift either. I don't see it as some incredible, undeniable proof of love.

Which is the only reason I don't actually think my explanation is right, just that the facts look bad. It's like seeing someone with a bloodstained knife standing over a freshly stabbed corpse. Maybe the guy didn't do it, maybe those who know him will tell you he'd never do something like that - but it still looks bad. It's even worse in some ways because it's not a whodunnit. We know who, what and when. It's the why that's in question.

Though I'll point out, even if the curse explanation is 100% honest, it doesn't look much better. How did he even explain it to his wife? "Some shaman told me I'm cursed, pack your bags."? How hard did he fight to stay with her?

I'm not dismissing it. I'm qualifying it. What does he know, and how does he know what he knows?
Was it for sale? The guy had some of his favorite property on display, and even if there were items in his collection he wouldn't sell having a display case to present them wouldn't be all that strange would it? Show off his personal collection to demonstrate his skill and wealth or something. I mean, it is a quality piece and it's remained unsold for all these years? I'd suspect he didn't put it on display as an item for sale.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-12, 21:05   Link #107
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Agreed. High end antique salons do this all the time - they want their most impressive pieces on display, whether they’re for sale or not.

As to old bisque dolls, they can be crazy valuable (and always creepy). My mom used to collect them.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-13, 21:54   Link #108
AC-Phoenix
Detective

The Grandmother'snew husband reminds me of a character from another anime, I just can't put my finger on it... Like he's someones older version.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-26, 09:28   Link #109
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Overall a nice series. I generally prefer mysteries with a little more severity to them, like the attempted murder mystery, but it was still fun and even a little informative about Oriental antiquities. And sure enough, it ends with the famous saying "the moon is beautiful is it not?", used for such a long time as a way to express one's love when one feels unable to do so directly. And points to Holmes for telling Aoi not to be ashamed for having refused to have sex with her previous boyfriend. There's absolutely nothing to be ashamed of in choosing to wait, whether you're waiting for the right time or some sort of certainty that this person's "the one" or even marriage. My only problem would be how he blew it off as some sort of fate or something.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-17, 03:05   Link #110
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I have to admit that I was disappointed about the animation quality of the series. This was supposed to feature the arts and crafts of Kyoto after all. Seeing them in such a state hurt my impression of the series.

However, the development of the story was very admirable. Aoi isn't your typical hopeless romantic; she got hurt, she bounced back, and she found something that she can be proud of, whether it was drinking coffee black instead of cafe au lait or developing her skills in appraising Japanese crafts. On the other hand, Kiyotaka isn't the "perfect" Holmes character either. He understood that he may not be able to understand the feelings of others and he can even be overwhelmed with emotion, especially when Ensho becomes involved. Despite this, he stood beside Aoi as she started her own path to greatness.

Hell, he even hated being called a "detective". He's an appraiser, after all.

The cases are also interesting yet light. There's no grand conspiracy in the making. There's no phantom thieves lurking at every corner. What he have is Kiyotaka's reputation dragging him and the Kura crafts shop in solving crafts-related cases under the backdrop of the rich artistic history of Kyoto.

Overall, the series was an exercise in patience. I probably won't be able to enjoy the series weekly, but the overall show wasn't that bad. It just failed to deliver the look and feel of the Old Capital that it deserved.

ENTRY #364 GET.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote