AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Durarara!!

Notices

Old 2010-01-08, 16:04   Link #161
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbee View Post
... Not too sure about the plot though. Monster biker chicks? It could go both ways really, but if they stick to the current style and don't make the plot too crazy the show could be quite interesting all the way through...
I think they should make her chest even flatter (like flatter than kansas) because you're not supposed to think "she"'s a chick XD
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 16:31   Link #162
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
@Natsuki Hyuga: Thanks for the info.

Spoiler for Upcoming episodes title only:

Hrmm I read these as well on the Chinese wiki, but I was confused because they are all kanjis! And they made sense if I read them like Chinese. Sticking 'em in the google translator doesn't really help at all, but

Spoiler for minor title spoilers:
They're all yoji-jukugo. Shinra has a thing for them.

See Jisho.org or similar sites for translations. (ep 8's title is "nanka no yume" == "transient dream"; seems it's not in their database)
Old 2010-01-08, 17:03   Link #163
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post

See Jisho.org or similar sites for translations. (ep 8's title is "nanka no yume" == "transient dream"; seems it's not in their database)
8 is here XD, which is pretty accurate if you use google's TL. It also gave the exact same phrase if you TL it to Chinese, while the other ones go somewhat funky.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 17:13   Link #164
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Very solid first episode. Great look. Interesting events. A little slowish, but with good background dump.

I sure hope Toyonaga Toshiyuki (the seiyuu for Mikado) loses that weakly whine soon. I think it was a little less by the end of the episode. Miyano Mamoru was perfect as the urban friend, I thought.

@musume_no_hoshi: I was pleased to find that my characters/seiyuus page did help me keep the characters and names and seiyuus straight, as long as I didn't mind interrupting the flow to check something every few minutes. But yes, simpler than Baccano.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 17:30   Link #165
Auria

Spoiler for forgot his name already:

Okay, he only spoke one line within the whole episode but I already feel like he's going to be my favorite character can't decide whether there's really something wrong with me for liking one character more like the whole cast of another show if he has spoken only one line or paafekuto female intuition

I got interessted because of the all-star seiyuu cast (want my hanezawa and fukuyama already ;.; ) and because the trailer was quite impressive..
The opening is nice, though I felt the breaks with the names didn't fit the music that well. Ending song is okiesh too, animation-wise that's a loooooooooooong row of characters there, can't say I don't like it.

Nice introduction, looking forward to next week.
Auria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 17:46   Link #166
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I sure hope Toyonaga Toshiyuki (the seiyuu for Mikado) loses that weakly whine soon. I think it was a little less by the end of the episode. Miyano Mamoru was perfect as the urban friend, I thought.

@musume_no_hoshi: I was pleased to find that my characters/seiyuus page did help me keep the characters and names and seiyuus straight, as long as I didn't mind interrupting the flow to check something every few minutes. But yes, simpler than Baccano.
Partially I went and watch this because of the seiyuu cast. I just looked at the seiyuu cast and forgot to look at the characters name . Like Auria said, it's an all-star-seiyuu-cast. Seeing Miyano, Kamiya, Ono, Nakamura and Fukuyama made me one happy fangirl. Add on Hanazawa and Takagaki, who I am quite interested seeing more of them. Male seiyuus really do have it easier once they break through.

Miyano did a good job of being the nice best friend. Toyonaga was much better then I expected, I only heard him from Reborn, which he did a pretty average job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auria
Ending song is okiesh too, animation-wise that's a loooooooooooong row of characters there, can't say I don't like it.
Weirdly, I love the ending sequence. I think it's the character design, it's fairly simple yet works.

Last edited by musume_no_hoshi; 2010-01-08 at 18:38.
musume_no_hoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 17:56   Link #167
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Very intriguing first episode...Sorta odd pacing, but I can easily say I'm hooked and wanna know what happens next.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 18:23   Link #168
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by musume_no_hoshi View Post
...Toyonaga was much better then I expected, I only heard him from Reborn, which he did a pretty average job....
I might be a little harder on him because I thought he was outstanding in (the underrated) Zettai Shounen.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 18:55   Link #169
donoghu

From the trailer...

Same feeling as "Baccano!"...
Some "kick-ass" stupidities based on characters' skills...
A scythe welding biker...
Some "kick-ass" action with this biker...
The scythe welding biker can bring his scythe out from his un-headed body?!?
(Around 0:50 from the trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YVNwzhaR78 )

Sound a bit strange to me... but still makes me want to watch it closely.

- After watching Episode 1 -

I don't know if I'm alone, but have anybody feel a similarity in the "feeling" of the anime that looks like "Persona"?
For a reason I can't explain or even clearly think about, as I watched the episode, I feel the same feeling from when I read Persona or played the games. (But that's me... Might be my senses that are going crazy... XD)
donoghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 19:35   Link #170
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Loved the first ep, starting with the terrific OP. Not as great as Baccano's but still a catchy tune, and I love the character "handoff" format. Loved the episode itself, too, from the Horo cameo on down. It was odd seeing that Baccano style overlaid on Yozakura faces, especially as I don't love those character designs, but I got used to it.

There's a certain rhythm to this author's stuff - you could sense it in Baccano and you feel it here, too. It's drama moving to a bebop beat, with the feel of improvisation to scripted material. In Baccano it literally had a jazz soundtrack, but this is still the anime equivalent of jazz. I expect to be confused by the plot, unable to remember all the character names, and to love every minute of it.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 21:22   Link #171
ProdigalSon
Ragnarocker

So I get why Mikado's name is weird/ironic from the translation of the novel (his name means Emperor Dragon's Peak and he's a super mild mannered guy)

But why does Mikado think Izaya Orihara is a weird name?
ProdigalSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 21:35   Link #172
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

It was an Ok episode , a bit slow . They introduced most of all characters in OP .
We recognize Baccano's style
So , did they censored the part when the grim reaper cut the fat guy or is it like he stole his soul something like that ?
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 22:07   Link #173
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
It was an Ok episode , a bit slow . They introduced most of all characters in OP .
So , did they censored the part when the grim reaper cut the fat guy or is it like he stole his soul something like that ?
That was something I was wondering myself...Maybe its because I watched the 3rd Bleach movie that had a character using a scythe that cut through people without hurting them recently, but I got the feeling she didn't cut him in two...Might be proved wrong on that point though.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 22:22   Link #174
ac3y

The one thing I can say about this show is that it's got style to spare.
The OP is enough to demonstrate that! (although the number of characters in the op is a bit intimidating).
I haven't watched Baccano! so I don't know about any resemblance between the story or characters, but the plot seems promising so far.
Maybe a little bit confusing, and it's hard to know what to expect from any single character, given that all we've heard from most of them is "Hi, I'm _______".

Oh well, it's just the first episode, right?
Old 2010-01-08, 22:32   Link #175
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I liked this show well enough to watch another episode or two; not something I've said about most recent series.

But where was the Brains-Base logo? Usually their shows say "Brains-Base" in English during the closing credits. All I saw was Orange.

The character designs looked to me a bit like a cross between Baccano! and Kure-nai. I've not seen Yozakura Quartet so I have no basis for comparison.

All I could think of during the motorcycle pursuit was Jacuzzi screaming "Rail Tracer!"
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 22:34   Link #176
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
From what other people have said, the motorcycle rider isn't a shinigami but rather
Spoiler for in case people rather not know:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon_ View Post
Spoiler for Ep 1:
Spoiler for I'm thinking the same way....:
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 23:36   Link #177
ZODDGUTS

Good first episode a bit slow but good. The first episode reminded me of that live action japanesse drama called Ikebukuro West Gate Park except this anime has supernatural thing going on.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Ikebukuro_West_Gate_Park
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 23:47   Link #178
Kagura89

As I expected,this anime starting pretty good in the first episode. A bit of introduction of Ikebukuro surrounding by Kida,Mikado inner monologue after arriving Ikebukuro, mysterious online chatting,color gang & a Dulahallan kick some ass on those kidnappers.That makes this first ep solid in my opinion.

I was amused with Kida lame jokes,it's very entertaining.LOL Mikado have a little prejudice about Simon didn't he
Waiting for another characters appear in next ep including the vending machine abuser Shizuo,he is awesome
Kagura89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 02:17   Link #179
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Not bad for a show I had no interest in since crunchyroll was doing it....but it's not bad.
Old 2010-01-09, 02:58   Link #180
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post

So it is idioms of sorts! Thanks for the infos apr and stuopidget

It's pretty easy to know the kanjis but I could never get the meanings of all of them properly. Never thought of using googles for info either (Q_Q)

Now that I think about it, the official Durarara!! blog+Official 'on-air' summary also mention about Shinra's interest for 四字熟語 oh hay... Which I passed as 4 'words' kanji combination. I'm failing kthx

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, light novel adaptation, shounen