AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-27, 22:53   Link #261
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisch View Post
"Don't be mistaken.....I did it for you"

Coupled with

"Number four, protect yourself, this is me being considerate of you'
My favorite moment as well. I like it when they don't beat around the corner (on the other hand, the fact she's like that make me wonder about her back story. I just find it a bit =( that she accepted him so readily given their past family history.

ON THE OTHER HAND, I TOTALLY REMEMBERED WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY (BUT KEPT FORGETTING)

Spoiler for not spoilers but huge picture:

That's what I was thinking the whole time watching it given the incredible myriad of facial expressions both heroines have XD.

Also would be nice to have an unblurred avatar made from kid version of either of the following

Spoiler for semi-spoilers for kid of Togame version:

I like kids with awesome hairs =(.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 23:18   Link #262
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Have to thank Mazui first before I start my rant. The subs most probably made the episode much more enjoyable than, say, if I watched it RAW. I probably would have been one of the annoyed ones who thought there wasn't enough fighting. I think this show will be best enjoyed when the dialogues are understood to the dot. Since most of us lacks in the language, I think it's best hold the watch until a sub is available. Once again, thank you Mazui. To continue

... Fantastic first episode as far as the dialogues are concerned. The most impressive line's being Shichika's query followed by his own assertion, "I'm not that smart. Something as complicated won't get through to me." And then our ninja reveals the identity of our quirky heroine as the daughter of Hida Takahito. The best line in that episode follows right about there in the form of a self observant query, "She was willing to ask for help from her father's enemy to collect those swords? Even though I'm the son of the enemy..." He then continues, "Hey, is there anyone else who knows about Togame's secret?" He would shortly declare there after that he would follow Togame because he had fallen for her.

The amazing part about that portion is that how it connected the portion at the beginning along with the exchange of dialogues where their respective fathers had, and the last words uttered by the defeated. No wonder Shichika wants to help out Togame. He is also very modest when he says that he isn't that smart. To understand the scope and the audacity of the act where Togame chose to seek out help from her father's enemy need to have considerable deducing power.

Nisio Isin, have we said enough about him yet?

Like Kaoru, I also am curious about what Shaft/Shinbo combi could have done with this show as far as visual is concerned. However, this show will always have an edge over that combi whenever the need for good movements and choreography is called for. Anyone who has watched Tears to Tiara already know this studio is quite capable at delivering flawless fluid movement. I liked the delivery of the joke, especially Shichika and Nanami's. Nanami's observation at the end was just as comical and quite as alarming. She said if such a weak kid will be able to sustain such journey. So does that mean her feeble appearance is only a ploy to maintain the status quo? She moved quite well to secure those two from the path of those bursting shuriken. God I love Isin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post

EDIT: I expected at least a couple people to question the farfetchness of the cause of her white hair (which does not feel out of place for me because of the random stories that I grew up with), but everyone seem to just accept it so readily.
It didn't go unnoticed. Her hair changed as she was holding the Katana. The reason I'm reluctant to ask why is simply because there are a few Isin reader I recognize in the thread and they just might ogle out or hint the interesting part that is sure to be revealed at due times. Btw, I'll be following this show and the thread. It also means I'll come down hard on those spoiler/hints when I spot them.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 23:44   Link #263
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
It didn't go unnoticed. Her hair changed as she was holding the Katana.
Um? What scene are you talking about, exactly? If it's the fire-covered scene of her childhood at around 41 minutes, I believe it's just the regular "hair going white from shock (of seeing dad get killed)". Classic stuff. I don't see a sword anywhere. I haven't read the novels, so this is just speculation, btw.
Old 2010-01-27, 23:47   Link #264
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
Um? What scene are you talking about, exactly? If it's the fire-covered scene of her childhood at around 41 minutes, I believe it's just the regular "hair going white from shock (of seeing dad get killed)". Classic stuff. I don't see a sword anywhere. I haven't read the novels, so this is just speculation, btw.
It's in her younger self. She was having that flashback while tied up.

edit: I just noticed the screenshots posted by stuopidget. Silly me. It's the second one in his post under spoiler tag marked as "semi spoiler....". For whatever reason I thought I saw a sword in her hand which is obviously not the case.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 00:04   Link #265
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
edit: I just noticed the screenshots posted by stuopidget. Silly me. It's the second one in his post under spoiler tag marked as "semi spoiler....". For whatever reason I thought I saw a sword in her hand which is obviously not the case.
OOOH, I get how you saw it that way, haha.

By the way, I have a question regarding Togame's eye? What exactly is it? Shichika said Koumori mentioned something about it, but I don't think he did, so I'm lost.
Old 2010-01-28, 00:54   Link #266
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

Yikes.
Was this show suppose to be this dull?

I mean, no offense but the talking is way worse than your -insert-generic-shounen-long-ass-battle-speech-here-and-I-shall-uncover-all-my-moves-to-the-enemy-even-though-no-one-gives-a-crap gimmick. Seriously? lol
The way the info-dumping was handled was terrible.

I love the character designs & all but I personally found the series trying too hard to be....well, witty. The best thing that came out of this series was that ninja guy's laugh. He has such a weird laugh lol.

I guess this is one of those shows that has a slooooooooow start? And picks up later on?
I really hope so because so far, I'm not very impressed :[
Starry Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 02:41   Link #267
Westlo
Lets be reality

Andrew didn't waste much time laying into the anime lol... first words being

So the anime is shit, too.

http://theeasternstandard.blogspot.c...pisode-01.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Ok, I seriously think that this series should get its own separate forum here. I mean look, the next episode airs in 1 and a half week and we clearly need separate threads for different episodes. Also, a light novel spoiler discussion thread would be nice too.
They should just convert the Bakemonogatari forum into a Nisio forum for this, Bake, Zaregoto, heck even his Medaka Box manga has over 2000 posts lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Overall, I LOVED Katanagatari, and in the visual sense, I rate it far above Bakemonogatari.
Considering this is an OVA series compared to TV, style aside something would be quite wrong if you didn't.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 03:32   Link #268
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

I have been going through a lot of bloggers' opinion of Katana and I can honestly say that people who doesn't like it simply doesn't understand what happens when a light novel gets adapted.

I mean come on, what the hell do you expect people to do when the only thing they have to work with is dialog and a few simple character designs. I can say in confidence that Nisio is one of this generation's greatest writer simply because his work appeal to us.....and because he is not a freaking troll like other writers that take year-long breaks just because their anime adaptations were a hit.

Man, I can literally feel the fanboy in me raging.

Last edited by omimon; 2010-01-28 at 09:23.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 04:01   Link #269
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post

I had great fun reading that short passage. Given that he read the whole series, the negative perspective might run ... for a somewhat different reason. It's pretty tough to like this adaptation when he dislikes the original.

Quote:
They should just convert the Bakemonogatari forum into a Nisio forum for this, Bake, Zaregoto, heck even his Medaka Box manga has over 2000 posts lol.
Medaka Box's topic's mostly just filled with rage until the recent chapters, and I don't think Nisio's work's that popular yet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
I have been going through a lot of bloggers' opinion of Katana and I can honestly say that people who doesn't like it simply doesn't understand what happens when a light novel gets adapted.

I mean come on, what the hell do you expect people to do when the only thing they have to work with is dialog and a few simple character designs. I can say in confidence that Nisio is one this generation's greatest writer simply because his work appeal to us.....and because he is not a freaking troll like other writers that take year-long breaks just because their anime adaptations were a hit.

Man, I can literally feel the fanboy in me raging.
I fanboy Nisio too, but I just think Nisio trolls me differently than other writers ... (and somewhat troll harder too ...)
Old 2010-01-28, 04:36   Link #270
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

I don't read people comments on things I like (outside of Animesuki and the russian fansub forum I'm in), it's bad for my health.

Because people nowadays can't judge things on a scale and simply use two words - "masterpiece" (english for "I liked it") and "shit" (english for "I didn't like it").
God damn Internet. Shit is a waste product. Anime is not.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 04:52   Link #271
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
It was kinda obvious for me that there would be a lot of still images. All the promo pics from the series were just pin-ups. Including the frames screensaved from the episode.
I will give it a second chance in the next episode before I drop it entirely or just keep hoping for SOME FREAKING ACTION.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 05:11   Link #272
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
I had great fun reading that short passage. Given that he read the whole series, the negative perspective might run ... for a somewhat different reason. It's pretty tough to like this adaptation when he dislikes the original.

Medaka Box's topic's mostly just filled with rage until the recent chapters, and I don't think Nisio's work's that popular yet ...

I fanboy Nisio too, but I just think Nisio trolls me differently than other writers ... (and somewhat troll harder too ...)
It's hard to not spoil anything when you know some of the secrets to the series isn't it. I know how you feel, I'm know what you mean when you said Nisio trolls us in a different way....
Old 2010-01-28, 05:22   Link #273
Lightseeker

Quote:

I don't see anything wrong with the acting. Yukari Tamura and Mai Nakahara's voiceover is superb, and while the main lead sounds "amateurish" , it doesn't really classified as "horrible".
Lightseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 05:41   Link #274
Sol Falling

That was pretty awesome. I guess people have a point though about the visuals being kinda boring. Put that way, I guess I could sum up my feelings with 'I like the plot/characters/premise better than Bakemonogatari's'.

Maaaybe I was bored by the dialogue on one or two occassions but in general I found either the content or the wit engaging enough that it was enjoyable the whole way through. I didn't feel that the action scenes were too short at all.

I quite liked the voices, and the onee-san was way cute. The character designs are quite attractive as well; on the whole there was only one part of the animation which I really bothered me, which would be the silhouette of the main guy running in the OP. That somehow seemed too fluid and stylized, going into 'cheap cartoon' territory rather than 'art'. I'm glad that for the most part however the rest of the action was suitably crisp.

Anyway, I think this first episode worked great in tying up a great many connections in a single episode without leaving a bunch of vague 'mysteries' to be unveiled later on in order to keep up the suspense. It seemed like a very complete story to me, bringing together the dream from the beginning with the two mains' true identities, the sister's concerns about leaving the island and the visitors, the backstory of the main enemy with the characters' motivations, and all that sort of stuff. I'm actually pretty surprised to hear that there was controversy about how the first episode was handled, because aside from a bit more visual creativity to help spice up the dialogue, I can't imagine how it could be done better. This seems like a very solid work for now.

Anyway, just one last, perhaps tangential thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
As my brother puts his criticism of Shinbou's work in Bakemonogatari, "What a pathetic attempt at post-modern artistry." His words, not mine, for the record...
:P Dude, no offense or anything, but your brother is obviously using vehemence to cover up a lack of any actual concrete reasoning with that statement. Summing a work up as 'pathetic' or just an 'attempt' is the equivalent of childish namecalling.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 07:27   Link #275
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

I think I love all of you! I never thought I'd hear these kinds of opinions. I've always thought that the modern anime blog is so riddled with insults as opposed to constructive criticing. Personally, I fon't think there is any anime that is completly terrible. Any anime can keep you at least moderatly entertained. Prople talk nowadays as if watching copious amounts of anime were the same as having produced their own.
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 09:34   Link #276
arkxkra
全力全開

erm, first episode me give a good impression, and lol in some area.
Old 2010-01-28, 09:48   Link #277
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Okay, has anyone here read the novels? I only have one question to ask.
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 10:00   Link #278
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelLuvsPnut View Post
Okay, has anyone here read the novels? I only have one question to ask.
Ask away, I don't know if I know the answer though.
Old 2010-01-28, 10:16   Link #279
Aliaric

Quote:
I quite liked the voices, and the onee-san was way cute.
Same me, voice and visual is very nice...

Quote:
I probably would have been one of the annoyed ones who thought there wasn't enough fighting.
Also agree. I waited all ~49 minutes for a full animeted fight like Samurai Champloo for example.
Aliaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 10:41   Link #280
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

at the very least, this is a refreshing break from all the crappy fanservice anime we got this season.

as for ep 1, i have nothing bad to say against it, which is to say it was perfect for a first episode, it made me want to watch ep 2 just to see how it turns out.

too bad it only airs a few times a month
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, edo setting, light novel adaptation, nishio, romance, tragedy