AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-04-24, 11:05   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Ledo related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Suisei no Gargantia fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2013-04-24, 20:14   Link #2
sky black swordman

Great MC. There are moments (mostly near the end of Ep 2) when he reminds of Setsuna F Seiei (Gundam 00) and Heero Yuy (Gundam Wing).
Old 2013-04-24, 20:17   Link #3
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Pretty emotionless and clueless in the first couple of episodes.... Hope he interacts more,,,
Old 2013-04-24, 20:26   Link #4
ReddyRedWolf

No Ledo is not emotionless as you guys think. Ledo tried to save his comrades and let loose Chamber's limiters even if it could mean they run out of power.

Unlike those characters Ledo is not of a one track mind. He thinks things through and is careful in not harming the natives who are only in the defensive.

Pirates were a threat to civilians and he did what any soldier would've done. Neutralize the hostage takers before they can harm the civvies.

He even accepted the new Rules of Engagement when dealing with the Gargantia fleet.

Last edited by ReddyRedWolf; 2013-04-24 at 21:20.
Old 2013-04-24, 21:03   Link #5
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Agreed, right now it is just cultural differences. The people of Gargantia's value is closer to us, while Ledo's value and beliefs are more foreign. So to us Ledo might feel colder, but as Ledo get uses to more of the culture and the language we should get his true-self.
Old 2013-04-24, 22:24   Link #6
Raviel

I wouldn't call Ledo emotionless, I don't think he would have volunteered to hold off the Hideauze for the rest of his squadron or bothered to try to help his trapped comrades during the first episode otherwise. He also shows visible anger at the Hideauze just before he gets sucked into the wormhole.

I think it would be more accurate to say Ledo is a product of the environment he was raised in, the fight against the Hideauze looks like it leaves very little time to do anything but practical day-to-day routines (we don't even know if the pilots get any other chances for shore leave besides the one shown to Ledo).
Old 2013-04-25, 02:17   Link #7
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I thought he was emotionless in the promo material, and I was totally wrong when he's more than just that. His biggest weakness was the fact that he's unable to interact foreigners from what I've seen so far, so he needs to learn more about the civility behind Gargantia. His fighting moments are great, hope he'll protect the civilians even though he's forced to neutralize them whenever we're in a threatful situation.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2013-04-25, 12:27   Link #8
Raviel

^I wouldn't worry about Ledo doing anything rash, he's arguably one of the most sensible and level-headed male MCs I've ever seen. His difficulty in interacting with the people of Gargantia is pretty understandable considering that he's so far removed from the environment he is used to.
Old 2013-04-25, 15:00   Link #9
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
^I wouldn't worry about Ledo doing anything rash, he's arguably one of the most sensible and level-headed male MCs I've ever seen. His difficulty in interacting with the people of Gargantia is pretty understandable considering that he's so far removed from the environment he is used to.
Yea very level headed, especially for a mecha pilot which is a what I'm enjoying the most about Ledo's character atm.

He's doing rather well given his situation and it's portrayed in a somewhat more realistic way than the norm, usually the MC would be either in a terrible state or fitting in as a local in a matter of minutes.
Old 2013-04-25, 19:59   Link #10
p-kun

The soldier clones in ep 1 look Ledo's age. I wonder if Avalon only started mass cloning soldiers recently due to Hideauze attack. As population (of soldiers) increases tremendously compared to Avalon's carrying capacity, soldiers were only allowed limited citizenships.

This gives a very gloomy implication for ep 1, as the soldiers who died might have been Ledo's siblings, while his colonel might be his parent (or the DNA source).
Old 2013-04-25, 21:38   Link #11
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

How do you know that they are clones?

Old 2013-04-26, 21:07   Link #12
Shinhwa
Banned

I wonder if they are going to go with translation-only way of talking between Ledo and the people of Earth, or if he will learn their language somehow lol
Old 2013-04-26, 21:19   Link #13
LKK

If think Ledo will gain a rudimentary ability to speak the Gargantians' language. He's already learned to say "Thank you". He'll probably learn enough to get by on a daily basis. But complicated discussions would still be translated by Chamber.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2013-04-27, 00:40   Link #14
ReddyRedWolf

I love it when he freaks out when girls try to feed him dead things.

In 16 years of his life all that he has eaten are MREs. I take it Avalon has real food but much like Macross Frontier episode 1 real meat would be a luxury.

Unless the Galactic Human Alliance turned vegetarian.
Old 2013-04-30, 09:44   Link #15
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I think they eat just nutrient packs... It's only logical.
Old 2013-05-06, 18:37   Link #16
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
I think it would be more accurate to say Ledo is a product of the environment he was raised in, the fight against the Hideauze looks like it leaves very little time to do anything but practical day-to-day routines (we don't even know if the pilots get any other chances for shore leave besides the one shown to Ledo).
Exactly. This is a rather fascinating scenario to consider. We already know that cultures can vary widely based on how the real world operates. Now we have a split in humanity (those that were stranded on Earth and those that went to space), and an unknown yet apparently lengthy period of time has elapsed. Human culture and the structure of society changes slowly with time, and Ledo's society has clearly changed quite a bit from that on Earth (which Gargantia presents in a manner that isn't so different from modern-day western society). It isn't a matter of good or bad (or good vs. evil), it just is. We may recoil from how Ledo's society operates, but that's only because we're examining it from our own present-day society and Ledo's society seems rather harsh.

Thus Raviel has it right that Ledo's behaviors and expectations were shaped by the society that he's accustomed to (as are we all). Ledo's society values efficiency and is purpose-driven, and hence Ledo was initially operating from that standpoint.

As of episode 5 I'd say that Ledo is showing remarkable flexibility and open-mindedness with how he's accepting of the operations and expectations of the society on the Gargantia. Even though his society is clearly superior (at least from a technological standpoint) he isn't attempting to dictate how the people of Gargantia should be living or what they should be doing. Open-minded indeed.

I feel that there's a fairly predictable end point coming, though. Ledo will acclimate and then fit in to Gargantian society, and then will face difficulty re-integrating with the Galactic Alliance. The theme will probably be along the lines of how the Galactic Alliance lost what it "truly meant to be human," or some such thing... we'll see.

Otherwise, this is a very interesting premise, and Ledo is a very interesting character. You have to wonder if such differences in society can and will develop if and when humans colonize other planets and space.
Old 2013-05-07, 22:28   Link #17
taofd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
No Ledo is not emotionless as you guys think. Ledo tried to save his comrades and let loose Chamber's limiters even if it meant they would burn out.
FTFY

At no point was power mentioned as an issue, the two concepts used were "burning out" and "preserving unit functionality".
Old 2013-05-14, 11:09   Link #18
bastek66

Ledo's tan
Spoiler for big pic:
Old 2013-05-15, 08:19   Link #19
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Wow is it really that consistent? If it is, it's amazing that they care about such a particular considering the vast majority won't even notice.

Old 2013-05-16, 14:27   Link #20
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Why don't they just make him the teacher? He seems to pick up language fast.

He's a genetically engineered, super soldier from outer space. He's probably a peak human specimen with a 200 IQ. He's average for his kind but a genius for the primitives.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters