MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-30, 19:55   Link #422
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

holy moly, what happened there!
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-30, 20:06   Link #423
Kazu-kun

So, besides fucking up the luma levels, their shitty encode is riddled with artifacts. Licensed BDs never look as good as the Japanese ones, but this one looks specially bad.
Old 2017-10-30, 21:17   Link #424
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Hope the US version doesn't look like that!
Old 2017-10-30, 23:04   Link #425
Top Sergeant

Got my pre-order in the mail. Looks good to me when I watched it. That marker dropping scene still gets me. I know its coming but the timing is just so good.
Old 2017-10-31, 21:25   Link #426
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Sergeant View Post
Got my pre-order in the mail. Looks good to me when I watched it. That marker dropping scene still gets me. I know its coming but the timing is just so good.
What version do you have?
Old 2017-11-03, 03:54   Link #427
Vegard Aune

I've checked the UK BD myself. The comparison image is, sadly, accurate... though I should note that that's kind of a cherry-picked example and it isn't that noticable in motion... But still, the encoding is really shoddy, which would be a shame at the best of times but for a movie as jaw-droppingly gorgeous as this one, it's particularly disappointing.
Old 2017-11-03, 10:04   Link #428
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Hi folks!

Following up and having unloaded the van I have finally been able to check the BD of Your Name out again for myself. Here’s the findings:

Audio: We’ve looked at the disc and while the audio point seems to just be perception based on the fact the JP audio all comes from one source and the international releases will not by and large. While reviewers have noted on the BD the video (aka UK-Anime.net most recently) you will note nobody across DVD or BD reviewing has flagged audio issues either which lends to this point.

Video: While certainly not defective, I would be adding this to the Defective / disappointing disc thread under “disappointing” as to us this is a special project and the quality is while completely fine for casual viewers (of which a large number of buyers will fall under) as a videophile along with long time fan of Mr Shinkai’s work, it isn’t what I’m completely happy with (good enough to make commercial release, not good enough for me to be proud of). This happens sometimes especially when QC was done quickly and usually companies would leave it be.

What are we doing about it: We’re making sure the Blu-Ray master is re-authored now to use a better video encode for the next print run that is done.

Will you be announcing a formal replacement scheme? No official replacement scheme will be posted, simply put as the disc does pass muster from a industry standpoint and the majority of viewers (in this case the mass market) experience won’t be impacted.

But I am in the first run and really upset! We totally understand and as a fan who’s supported us through thick and thin what we are willing to do is replace your disc when we do the reprint the disc if you’re really upset by the quality. All you have to do is email shop.uk@alltheanime.comwith a subject line of YOUR NAME – BLU-RAY and write us a (polite and short) email saying what your issue with the Blu-Ray is then we’ll replace it with a fresh master (coming late this year most likely).

Hope this clarifies and again shows our dedication to all of you ��. I could go into detail on this frontier but figure best keep it short and sweet!

Very best,

Andrew
https://animeuknews.net/2017/11/anim...r-name-issues/
Old 2017-11-03, 15:27   Link #429
Kamijou Touma IB
Imagine Breaker

That is pretty sad to hear. Glad I bought the Japanese release.
Old 2017-11-04, 05:09   Link #430
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

So how does this affect the copies being sold on Amazon?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-04, 09:00   Link #431
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
So how does this affect the copies being sold on Amazon?
Not sure, but I'm glad Amazon makes it so easy to return products with a full refund and free return shipping.

According to the thread on Bluray.com, some overseas masters have a very slight green tint to it. So far, the UK/AU version seems to the be one with the most noticeable problems.
Old 2017-11-09, 14:00   Link #432
Diet
Calorie Mate

Do not post when you are drunk.
btw recently I prefer this movie than others because I think Shinkai's naiveness plus entertainment plot made a great cafe au lait.

I really don't like Koe no Katachi because I don't like that they treated handicapped as an unhappy victim for tearjerker story.
Diet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-09, 19:04   Link #433
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Old 2017-11-13, 19:22   Link #434
Dextro
He Without a Title

Finally got around to watch the movie (and on the UK copy with the supposed problems). I didn't notice anything wrong with my copy so maybe the delay in getting it actually worked to my advantage.

That said I'm not overly impressed with the movie. Sure, production values are pretty good and the story is pretty decent but for some reason I rate it closer to The Place Promised in Our Early Days than I do to Garden of Words. Maybe it's just the upbeatness of the story that gets to me or the presence of more comedy in the story... It's not bad, very far from it, but it misses the mark from masterpiece for me.

Also, and maybe this has been mentioned before, but is that ending basically a precise 180 of the 5cm per second ending? Cause it feels like the polar opposite of that one right down to some of the scenery choices. It's almost like Shinkai-san folded to those who hoped for a "happy" ending on that show regardless of how unreasonable it would be. I'm not saying I don't like the ending, I quite enjoyed it and feel like it works thematically and was not in any way forced, but I still found it interesting how it felt so much like a "happy" version of 5cm's one. I wonder if it was on purpose.
Old 2017-11-14, 06:05   Link #435
Diet
Calorie Mate

Hmm...first of all, we tend to overrate an unpopular movie. The definition of masterpiece is not only one.
This movie became popular than Ghibli by philosophy different from Ghibli. That's why this movie is valuable, I think.
(e.g. Hosoda is great animator but he is not a great storyteller unlike Miyazaki. Hosoda was making Ghibli copy movie, after all)
Moreover, this movie is basically Shinkai movie, actually. Shinkai's "physical distance and spiritual distance" plot is Harukism, as Shinkai says.
This naiveness is completely different from creators of Miyazaki age and present audience accepted his world. That's why this movie is valuable.

---edit---

btw when I heard Miyazaki is trying to make his last movie which is like preaching to young generation. Maybe his last movie will becomes small hit.
I think Miyazaki was rejoiced that someone's hand drawn anime movie surpassed his record, in a sense.
Now, Ghibli is come to end beautifully.

He looks like Porco Rosso.

Last edited by Diet; 2017-11-24 at 02:51. Reason: ps
Diet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-31, 21:14   Link #436
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

So I finally got to watch it, but yeah... It definitely is over-hyped. That said, it was a good movie. I won't deny that. The switching and time-traveling was pretty interesting too.

To be honest, Shinkai's anime are all similar to this in quality and atmosphere and they were all just as bad or good as this one, but the reason this one out of all of them that became hyped is because for once, it is a happy end. All of the other ones (I haven't technically watched all of them though) all are bittersweet or sad and just does not make you want to suggest it to other people. On the other hand, these two were able to meet each other at the end and it was a happy end. That's really the only main difference I felt from this movie.
Yeah, I may be exaggerating a bit, but you get the idea on why I don't think the movie is "as good" as "casuals" hype it out to be.

But still a good watch, yes.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-01, 04:08   Link #437
Verso Sciolto
Banned

ANN relayed: Director Shinkai Edits 'your name.' Ending Credits for 1st TV Broadcast

[Not counting wowow]

TV Asahi

Edit:
TV spots were hosted but are no longer available on YT.

The revival of "CrossRoad" for the first CM block was nice too.

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2018-01-03 at 09:57.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-01, 07:17   Link #438
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
So I finally got to watch it, but yeah... It definitely is over-hyped. That said, it was a good movie. I won't deny that. The switching and time-traveling was pretty interesting too.

To be honest, Shinkai's anime are all similar to this in quality and atmosphere and they were all just as bad or good as this one, but the reason this one out of all of them that became hyped is because for once, it is a happy end. All of the other ones (I haven't technically watched all of them though) all are bittersweet or sad and just does not make you want to suggest it to other people. On the other hand, these two were able to meet each other at the end and it was a happy end. That's really the only main difference I felt from this movie.
Yeah, I may be exaggerating a bit, but you get the idea on why I don't think the movie is "as good" as "casuals" hype it out to be.

But still a good watch, yes.
Can't really understand this. You only suggest typical hollywood "and they lived happily ever after" kind of stuff to other people?

While it's true that one of the reasons Your Name is more hyped than other of his works is a happy eanding for once - it is certainly not over hyped. you get more insight into characters' lifes, their "worlds" etc. There is a whole lot of developments there too.
Old 2018-01-01, 09:21   Link #439
Vegard Aune

While the fact that Your Name has a happy ending is indeed one of the reasons why it's the only Shinkai movie I've actually liked, I don't think it's the only one. A much bigger reason is just, to me, his other movies just tend to be... emotionally monotonous. They're basically just melancholy from start to finish. Your Name is the only one of his movies I would describe as fun. And honestly, that to me also makes the moments where it does try to be sad hit a lot harder, because I find it a lot easier to care about characters when they don't spend the entire story moping.
Old 2018-01-01, 11:45   Link #440
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

asian vs western cinema. even something like all you need is kill got bastardized for a happy ending. western audiences can't really stomach things like that.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote