Even has its own thread

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...ht=seinarukana
Old 2013-05-26, 06:52   Link #84
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Are Eroge considered RPGs?
That's like asking if fighting games (or insert any other random genre) are considered rpg's >_>

While there are quite rpg eroge's (more strategy rpg's than dungeon crawlers these days) it's not a norm
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 09:20   Link #85
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
JRPGs have more in common with visual novels than with D&D, though. Like the Extra Credits crew said, JRPGs are more about narrative while WRPGs are more about expression. In the prototypical WRPG, you are the protagonist. This is almost never the case in JRPGs.

These things are two different genres of RPGs, and should really be renamed by gameplay type than country of origin, because America has made JRPGs (Anachronox, Septerra Core) and Japan has made WRPGs (Dark Souls).
Isn't this largely the case already? I don't encounter many gamers who think of Dark Souls as a JRPG, even if they're aware of its country of origin. I mean, yes, you get the odd person out here and there insisting that technically, the fact that it was made in Japan really makes it a JRPG, that origin apparently trumps all in determining genre, but I don't think most people classify it as such.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 09:35   Link #86
styr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Eien Shinken. Best one of that genre IMO
Kamidori is also a fairly popular SRPG/eroge. It also has its own thread which is even on the first page right now!

If you haven't played it and like SRPGs (FFT, Disgaea, etc) you should give it a shot. The only thing I don't like about it is how unfaithful the MC is... but it is an eroge that tries to pigeon hole each character into a different archetype. There's something like ~15 romance-able characters [+3 main heroines] and each one has a different "schtick". The game makes up for it in other ways... for instance Kamidori has tons of stuff to do in a NewGame+.
styr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 09:39   Link #87
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Can you really compare western and Japanese RPGs? RPGs are almost the epitome of Japanese games. That and dating sims.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 11:14   Link #88
majestix1988

jrpg one you are the who reading a book with challenge on the story
(you are "the fate that control their lives")

while

wrpg you are teh story..if you want to know the ending(different endings watever)

that is my simple thinking on jrpg/wrpg games nowadays

but still only differnt is how the game play + settings(Worlds,Places,Timelines)[Jrpg are unique on settings while wprg(mostly mixed but still creative)
Old 2013-05-26, 19:24   Link #89
T-6000

I'm surprised to see this topic here, it can be a pretty "Touchy" topic. I think it's all about preference so I don't think one can say the other is better. I use to play JRPGs back when I played on the SNES. Not many, but the one I remembered playing the most was Super Mario RPG. Yeah, I can year some of you laughing but I honestly played this one alot and liked it. Another one I remembered playing was Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

When I played the Diablo series, I never touched another JRPG again. They just didn't appeal to me anymore. Especially once I started playing through some of the more well known D&D PC RPG games such as Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale 1 & 2, and Neverwinter Nights.
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 19:57   Link #90
Sassarai
Army of One

Diablo is closer to hack and slash rather than rpg to me. It has rpg elements, sort of like Castlevania SOTN.
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 19:58   Link #91
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
Can you really compare western and Japanese RPGs? RPGs are almost the epitome of Japanese games. That and dating sims.
Depends who you are talking to...
To US video game market..maybe...
To Japanese gamers, it's an oversea idea. They are aware RPG started with "Table Talk RPG". It's Japanese made English. The formal name is Pen-and-paper RPG. The idea of Table Talk RPG started with Story of the Ring(指輪物語). Some may argue Table Talk RPG started with Dungeon and Dragon.
There is also mock RPG.
According to Japanese gamers, computer RPG is inspired by Table Talk RPG. It started as a text oriented system. The first product line includes Ultima(ウルティマ,1979), Wizardry(ウィザードリィ,1981), .
Japanese companies started their own national RPG: The Black Onyx(ザ・ブラックオニキスザ・ブラックオニキス),XANADU( ザナドゥ,1985), Dragon Slayer(ドラゴンスレイヤーシリーズ, 1984), Digital Devil Story(女神転生, 1987), Ys I(イースI, 1987). Dragon Quest(ドラゴンクエスト, 1986) and Final Fantasy(ファイナルファンタジー, 1987) caused the social phenomenon in Japan. On the release date of each Dragon Quest, Japanese students would ditch school for shopping the game. I guess you think RPG is Japanese thing due to the number of products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
Diablo is closer to hack and slash rather than rpg to me. It has rpg elements.
Diablo is event driven hack and slash, so it still follow the role of Text based RPG. Due to multi-threading, they just make you feel as you are playing the game in real time. The turn based RPG is subset of RPG. It is not equivalent to RPG. Even I find turn based system annoying, it's still RPG.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 20:56   Link #92
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
Diablo is event driven hack and slash, so it still follow the role of Text based RPG. Due to multi-threading, they just make you feel as you are playing the game in real time. The turn based RPG is subset of RPG. It is not equivalent to RPG. Even I find turn based system annoying, it's still RPG.
If we go by the theory that RPG was based upon electronization of D&D, then turn-based RPG was the norm. Real time was only made possible as technology develops further so I'd say real time is a subset of RPG.
Old 2013-05-26, 21:19   Link #93
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post

I never played any Diablo except 3. Reason I don't consider it much of an rpg is because you don't really learn much skills, you can beat the game with one setup, no real "exploration", no strategy in killing mobs, etc. Feels more like Sengoku Basara more than it does an rpg.
Old 2013-05-26, 21:25   Link #94
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
I never played any Diablo except 3. Reason I don't consider it much of an rpg is because you don't really learn much skills, you can beat the game with one setup, no real "exploration", no strategy in killing mobs, etc. Feels more like Sengoku Basara more than it does an rpg.
If you have played table top and pen and paper rpg's then almost everything you are saying can also true to those. You can also min-max your character , so that you don't have to use any real strategy or any real setups.
Also there is barely any exploration if you are playing the "dungeon crawler" type of rpg's
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 23:23   Link #95
Soverence

Quote:
I haven't played Diablo 3 myself but I have heard that on the hardest difficulty this isn't really true, that unless you have down pat what you are going to do and how you are going to go into it, you are going to die and lose your character.

Anyhow on topic, I feel like American RPG's have moved away from the turn based RPG style that you see in a lot of JRPG's. I am going to repeat what most people in here have been alluding to, America makes a lot more Action games with RPG elements then pure RPG games bent on strategy. Games like Skyrim, Bioshock, and Mass Effect have RPG elements in them but they are not really the core focus of the games, they are more about the action then anything else.

At least in my opinion, JRPG's are games that are more about the stories and characters as well as the micromanagement of those side characters and how they work together. American RPG's are usually more focused on action and fast paced fights that are effected by the RPG like choices that you make. Also I feel like American's RPG's usually have you control one character while JRPG's are usually a team (although I feel like that is the norm, there are obviously examples I can think of that aren't true for that statement.)
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 23:29   Link #96
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

All I see now on Western RPGS are either games with problems or there is a hero with a gun which is either FPS or a shooter base RPG game.

Nothing really change imho.
Old 2013-05-26, 23:40   Link #97
Dirty_Harry

I don't consider Skyrim a action game with rpg elements, but a true rpg. Turn-based combat or real-time combat is not what defines unequivocally whether or not a game is a rpg.

Don't mistake with Mass Effect.
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 23:50   Link #98
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soverence View Post
I haven't played Diablo 3 myself but I have heard that on the hardest difficulty this isn't really true, that unless you have down pat what you are going to do and how you are going to go into it, you are going to die and lose your character.
Nah it's still true, higher difficulty is just a gear check. Hardcore mode is where you can lose your character if you die once but you still do the same thing. I mean you can find challenges in the game if you try to but it's mostly just a repetitive farming game. Everyone is just trying to get the lucky money drop.
Old 2013-05-27, 00:02   Link #99
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post
I don't consider Skyrim a action game with rpg elements, but a true rpg. Turn-based combat or real-time combat is not what defines unequivocally whether or not a game is a rpg.

Don't mistake with Mass Effect.
Agreed. Mass Effect is as much an RPG as Deus Ex is. They're action games with strong RPG elements.

The Elder Scrolls are true RPGs, Western RPGs in the truest sense of the word.
Old 2013-05-27, 00:07   Link #100
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
I like to compare Final Fantasy and Fallout, japanese and american respectively.

The on-going trend with most JP RPGs is that you're stuck with a character and he goes on a predefined quest to save the world, usually not alone. Not much room to change or develop your character, because he's not really "You" and yes, a puppet being controlled.

That's the opposite of American RPGS, where you can shape your character in almost any way you wish. That coupled with choices that trigger different endings.

And compared to classic Fallout (1 and 2), newer TES games are extremely limited when it comes to decision making and "good/bad" ways.