AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-07-03, 20:06   Link #2041
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Just saw a leak of the OP and a portion of ep 1. Animation is pretty poor compared to many other series out there but I do like the overall feel of the new character design and OP. Compared to the original SM anime, the new character design and overall portrayal of the characters Crystal's OP gives them a more mature and stronger vibe, at least to me. The original SM anime felt very kiddish and more comedic from what I remember. If they really follow the manga more closely this time, then it should have a more mature and darker vibe, which I'm hoping for. I really do hope that Crystal will tone down on Usagi's klutziness and ditziness - the original anime overdid that and I personally wasn't (and still am not) too fond of it, since I think she is a much stronger character than that.

...and...OMG! Finally! We get to see what Mamoru looks like in Crystal! Oh, Mamoru, you were the first bishie I fell in love with...too bad so many hotter bishies have replaced you now but you'll always hold a special place in my heart as the first.

Edit: The animation of the Sailor Soldiers' attacks do look a lot better than the original! And they also have Mamoru wear glasses just like in the manga! Although it's too bad that they didn't update Mamoru's look a little bit (from what I barely glimpsed in the OP).

Edit: Comparison video of the original Sailor Moon transformation sequence to the new Crystal's transformation sequence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1xXXfvBPc0#t=113

[/TH][/TR][/table]

Last edited by PreSage; 2014-07-03 at 20:35.
Old 2014-07-03, 21:33   Link #2042
Frumix

http://www.crunchyroll.com/sailor-mo...isode-1-656623

Seems to be worl--- disregard me, US only, was using a VPN.
No get hype.

Last edited by Frumix; 2014-07-03 at 22:10.
Old 2014-07-03, 22:19   Link #2043
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumix View Post
http://www.crunchyroll.com/sailor-mo...isode-1-656623

Seems to be worl--- disregard me, US only, was using a VPN.
No get hype.
Again, Crunchyroll's license is North and South America, South Africa, and Oceania (Australia and New Zealand), not just the US. This is literally all the territories that Toei Animation's US branch covers.
Old 2014-07-03, 22:31   Link #2044
Frumix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiGoku View Post
Again, Crunchyroll's license is North and South America, South Africa, and Oceania (Australia and New Zealand), not just the US. This is literally all the territories that Toei Animation's US branch covers.
There's shows that aren't limited to these territories is why I kept checking.
You'd think they'd be able to work out something convenient since no TV stations are involved but guess not.
Old 2014-07-03, 23:32   Link #2045
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post

Edit: The animation of the Sailor Soldiers' attacks do look a lot better than the original! And they also have Mamoru wear glasses just like in the manga! Although it's too bad that they didn't update Mamoru's look a little bit (from what I barely glimpsed in the OP).

Edit: Comparison video of the original Sailor Moon transformation sequence to the new Crystal's transformation sequence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1xXXfvBPc0#t=113
This is just for the opening, we might never see that kind of animation as in these attack sequences. Just like the S season opening. This part is made by Natoshi Shida who makes small portions of animation for Toei as he is high-paied first class animator. I highly doubt the animation quality of the actual attacks will be something like this. it's an opening, even some of the cheapest productions have at least ok animated opening and first episode - well Sailor Moon might not even have well animated first episode... And this comparison between 20 year-old hand drawn animated transformation and 2014 cheap and choppy CGI makes the latter even more... meh.
Old 2014-07-04, 00:15   Link #2046
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaku View Post
This is just for the opening, we might never see that kind of animation as in these attack sequences. Just like the S season opening. This part is made by Natoshi Shida who makes small portions of animation for Toei as he is high-paied first class animator. I highly doubt the animation quality of the actual attacks will be something like this. it's an opening, even some of the cheapest productions have at least ok animated opening and first episode - well Sailor Moon might not even have well animated first episode... And this comparison between 20 year-old hand drawn animated transformation and 2014 cheap and choppy CGI makes the latter even more... meh.
You're making me more scared lol... But hopefully it'll be 2D attack sequences, or maybe better yet, no special attack sequences at all and just have them produce fire or water right in the scene.

For the transformation, you have to give it to them for wanting to try something new to set it apart from the rest of the magical girl shows like Precure. Like in the interview, they said they want to better show the flashiness during transformations and with this current technology, they're able to spin round and round! Except that it's just not animated well... I know there are ways to have it animate and constructed in 3D but have it colored and styled like 2D (an example is the Disney short film, Paper Man). I'm assuming that's what they're going for except that it's still pretty obvious that it's 3D by the way she moves and the shading.
Old 2014-07-04, 00:30   Link #2047
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
You're making me more scared lol... But hopefully it'll be 2D attack sequences, or maybe better yet, no special attack sequences at all and just have them produce fire or water right in the scene.

For the transformation, you have to give it to them for wanting to try something new to set it apart from the rest of the magical girl shows like Precure. Like in the interview, they said they want to better show the flashiness during transformations and with this current technology, they're able to spin round and round! Except that it's just not animated well... I know there are ways to have it animate and constructed in 3D but have it colored and styled like 2D (an example is the Disney short film, Paper Man). I'm assuming that's what they're going for except that it's still pretty obvious that it's 3D by the way she moves and the shading.
Yes, bu precure use cgi too, but it's made better, even some of the endings there were entirety in 3d, so it doesn't look different than precure, just worse than it. And if they are so tight on budget i doubt we will have attacks that are not stock footage, except for some really important battles. I don't think this transformation is made that way in order to be gentle and to use different angels - they can make it in 2d and it will look better. It's just cheap and really really long - lame move to cheapen it even more... And it contradict the overall old school feel with these beautiful backgrounds.

Last edited by minaku; 2014-07-04 at 01:27.
Old 2014-07-04, 04:59   Link #2048
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
I was just like those people in the live screening audience, watching the clip and going "Oooh! Ahhh! Woooow!" So I'm going to assume that the negative vocal majority in this thread is in fact a minority of total viewers. I was a bit disappointed when I came here, gushing with excitement, only to find people still talking crap about this. I'll probably have to find another forum when it starts airing.
Good luck on finding a forum that doesn't think the CGI transformations look shit, it will be a sad day when Precure eventually goes CGI for their transformation sequences as well.
Old 2014-07-04, 05:43   Link #2049
elior

Quote:
Yes, bu precure use cgi too, but it's made better, even some of the endings there were entirety in 3d, so it doesn't look different than precure, just worse than it. And if they are so tight on budget i doubt we will have attacks that are not stock footage, except for some really important battles. I don't think this transformation is made that way in order to be gentle and to use different angels - they can make it in 2d and it will look better. It's just cheap and really really long - lame move to cheapen it even more... And it contradict the overall old school feel with these beautiful backgrounds.
you joking right you call those cgi attacks of precure made better then this cgi sailor moon transformation ?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK68td-J3EY i dont think it can be worse then this
Old 2014-07-04, 06:07   Link #2050
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by elior View Post
you joking right you call those cgi attacks of precure made better then this cgi sailor moon transformation ?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK68td-J3EY i dont think it can be worse then this
Yes, I still think PreCure CGI scenes are better made. They are CGI completely, while looking quite faithful to the rest of the episodes, while this transformation is CGI shaded as 2d footage and it is odd. Sailor Moon's hair is like burned sticks of straw.Her movements are not as fluid as this attack. I hate CGI as a whole, but when it's cheap on top of that - look at Sailor Moon uniform and ribbon, it's like blocks... And this pre cure scene is like 20 seconds, while the Sailor Moon transformation is over a minute... The contrast between the 2d and 3d Usagi is so obvious and strange - even her eye color is different during the transformation... And the CGI is just one of the problems Sailor Moon Crystal has... Do not forget that PreCure is made for preschoolers, while Sailor Moon Crystal is advertised as an adaptation for older audience. We know better, children like everything shiny. To have a better transformations, attacks and overall quality animation for PreCure which is made for the sole purpose of selling toys than a massive classic with fan base all around the world. It's derisively...

Last edited by minaku; 2014-07-04 at 13:01.
Old 2014-07-04, 07:05   Link #2051
Baldurkai
Ultra durable

Quote:
Yes, I still think PreCure CGI scenes are better made. They are CGI completely, while looking quite faithful to the rest of the episodes, while this transformation is CGI shaded as 2d footage and it is odd.
I have to agree, not being a big fan of Sailor Moon, nor saying i have a great knowledge of the shows, but from the transformations i've seen, this CGI does not fit it just looks a little weird. I mean there is nothing wrong with sticking to the old style of transformation, but update the graphics.
Old 2014-07-04, 12:39   Link #2052
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Having just seen the new transformation sequence...I have to say I'm not thrilled. Couldn't help thinking throughout that the arms just seemed really weird. For something they are going to just repeat almost weekly you think they could put a bit more quality into it. Oh well can just skip over it I guess.
Old 2014-07-04, 15:01   Link #2053
videoman190

From NicoNico
Quote:
Greetings Niconico and Sailor Moon fans!

It's been a long time coming, but the wait is finally over! The newest iteration of Sailor Moon--Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal--starts streaming on Niconico tomorrow! Find all the details you need below:

-Worldwide Simultaneous Stream Info-
■Start Date: Saturday, July 5, 2014 from 7:00pm JST
*Episodes stream on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month at 7:00pm JST
*First 2 weeks is free (Single timeshift viewing) and will be a paid service afterwards.
*A valid Niconico account is required to view this content. Not a member yet?

-Overseas Version Channel Info-
(Click a URL below to jump to the streaming page for that language)
■Supported Languages: English, Chinese (Traditional, Simplified), Korean, French, Italian, Spanish, German, Turkish, Portuguese, Indonesian and Malaysian

Note that Nico Points are required to watch episodes outside of Japan after the first 2 weeks of streaming and can be purchased through the following form of payment:

・Credit Cards: VISA, Master Card and JCB. (3D Secure required)
*Please contact your credit card company for details about 3D Secure.

Don't understand Japanese and want to buy Nico Points? Proceed here.

-Classic Sailor Moon Marathon Stream Info-
*Available to users in Japan only; Japanese language only

If you happen to be in Japan, all 46 episodes of the original Sailor Moon anime series are scheduled to be broadcast on Nico Live and can be watched free of charge!

■Bishojo Senshi Sailor Moon Episodes 1 - 23
 ・Date: Stream starts Saturday, July 12 from 1:00pm JST
URL: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv184085600
■ Bishojo Senshi Sailor Moon Episodes 24 - 46
 ・Date: Stream starts Sunday, July 13 from 1:00pm JST
URL: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv184089334

-Miscellaneous-
■Official Trailer: http://ch.nicovideo.jp/sailormoon-Crystal
■Official Site: http://sailormoon-official.com/animation/en/ (English Language)

We hope you enjoy Sailor Moon Crystal!

http://blog.nicovideo.jp/en_info/201...st-047217.html
-Niconico
Old 2014-07-04, 16:15   Link #2054
Sakuya
*Artist

Thanks for the update. So you pretty much have to pay to watch the second episode then. Sneaky, I thought it would be free like their other videos.
Old 2014-07-04, 16:23   Link #2055
Frumix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
Thanks for the update. So you pretty much have to pay to watch the second episode then. Sneaky, I thought it would be free like their other videos.
No, you can watch every broadcast for free for 2 weeks since it's been posted.
That's the same for just about every Nicovideo live stream that's being archived if I remember correctly.
Old 2014-07-04, 16:36   Link #2056
pff
Banned

Why the thread says "guardian" and not "warrior" as the actual title is? Quite a big fucking difference.

Also CGI transformation

Old 2014-07-04, 16:43   Link #2057
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by pff View Post
Why the thread says "guardian" and not "warrior" as the actual title is? Quite a big fucking difference.

Also CGI transformation

The actual title is Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, even in the official Japanese logo
Old 2014-07-04, 16:44   Link #2058
xizro345
King's Justice

Because "Guardian" has been the officially sanctioned version ever since the live action version aired. Even the reprints of the manga use it.
Old 2014-07-04, 17:16   Link #2059
pff
Banned

Quote:
The actual title is Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, even in the official Japanese logo
No it's not. It's still seishi, 戦士, as it always been. Everywhere.

Spoiler:

Although they do use "guardian" for english romanization for some reason. I have two versions:
- They seriously don't know english and how drastically different those words are. Japanese themselves never really translated the title before.
- They want a more safe image for those "dumb westeners" who can't handle any violence and shoot each other with the slightest opportunity. So let's say "guardian" instead of "warrior", less murican kids will stab each other.
Reminds me of Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles.

Either way it's really stupid. Japanese text says seishi, so it's still seishi. Period.
Old 2014-07-04, 17:31   Link #2060
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by pff View Post
No it's not. It's still seishi, 戦士, as it always been. Everywhere.

Spoiler:

Although they do use "guardian" for english romanization for some reason. I have two versions:
- They seriously don't know english and how drastically different those words are. Japanese themselves never really translated the title before.
- They want a more safe image for those "dumb westeners" who can't handle any violence and shoot each other with the slightest opportunity. So let's say "guardian" instead of "warrior", less murican kids will stab each other.
Reminds me of Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles.

Either way it's really stupid. Japanese text says seishi, so it's still seishi. Period.
Naoko has been playing with furigna for kanji for quite awhile. The Death Reborn Revolution in kanji is Death World Revolution, she can play with it, it;s normal in japanese. When you think about it guardian makes more sense - they are guardians of Earth, Moon, The entire Galaxy, they are the guardians of the princess, they protect their loved ones. Guradian encompasses their role better. If Naoko Takeuchi carried about the Westeners, she could have left them dub it long ago, without supervision of this sort In Japanese they have always played with furigana for kanji. In my favourite manga Akuma no Hanayome they write akuma in kanji (meaning demon or devil) but the furigana of it is Deimos, same with the main heroine which is called Minako but for various purposes they have given her name a furigana Venus from time to time, and it's manga from the 70s when Japan really couldn't care less about the Western part of the world.

Last edited by minaku; 2014-07-04 at 17:44.
Closed Thread

Tags
remake, shoujo