Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-10-20, 09:40   Link #501
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
If the baddies were capable of draining the life force of the whole city this easily, why not do it earlier? Why bother with the more minor plots they employed early on?
At least it wasn't another round of mass hypnosis. I believe that device was used three times so far.

You can't hold this show to some demanding standard of narrative presentation. There are way too many things that require suspension of disbelief like Mamoru's remarkable ability to appear at just the right moment to save Usagi. At base it's still a magical girl show for young girls. It's airs on Saturday evenings at 7pm in Japan after all.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-20, 17:18   Link #502
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
If the baddies were capable of draining the life force of the whole city this easily, why not do it earlier? Why bother with the more minor plots they employed early on?
I figured that it wasn't the standard drain that they'd been doing, and more of a "kill" drain. So they wouldn't retain the energy of those killed in this way.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-21, 02:56   Link #503
RDNexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
At least it wasn't another round of mass hypnosis. I believe that device was used three times so far.

You can't hold this show to some demanding standard of narrative presentation. There are way too many things that require suspension of disbelief like Mamoru's remarkable ability to appear at just the right moment to save Usagi. At base it's still a magical girl show for young girls. It's airs on Saturday evenings at 7pm in Japan after all.
Even so, I'd like to ask this again...

From what everyone here has seen of this story so far, how do you think you could rewrite the events to make them more "logical" or closer to a standard of narrative presentation or something like it?
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-21, 07:54   Link #504
Underworld

The sales for the first Sailor Moon Blu Ray is out
Quote:
*1. 10,767 10,767 Free!: Eternal Summer Vol.2
*2. *9,705 *9,705 Haikyuu!! Vol.4
*3. *7,251 *7,251 Psycho-Pass Blu-ray BOX
*4. *3,651 *3,651 Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Vol.1 Limited Deluxe Edition
*5. *3,057 65,990 The iDOLM@STER Movie: Kagayaki no Mukougawa e! Limited Edition
*6. *2,432 *2,432 Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda - Shin Zvezda Daisakusen Limited Edition
*7. *2,396 *2,396 Isshuukan Friends. Vol.5
*8. *2,378 *2,378 Akame ga Kill! Vol.1
*9. *2,279 *2,279 Yowamushi Pedal Vol.11
10. *2,182 *2,182 Yuru Yuri♪♪ Blu-ray BOX Limited Edition
11. *1,351 11,078 Tamako Love Story
12. **,832 **,832 Akuma no Riddle Vol.5
13. **,719 **,719 Ao Haru Ride Vol.2
14. **,580 *3,338 Mekakucity Actors Vol.8 Limited Edition
15. **,578 *7,123 Persona 4 The Golden Animation Vol.2 Limited Edtition
16. **,518 31,271 Monogatari Series: Second Season "Hanamonogatari" Vol.1 Suruga Devil Part 1 Limited Edition
17. **,421 47,996 Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season Vol.4 Special Limited Edition
18. **,386 *9,540 Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Vol.1
And the cover of the vol 2 is revelead

Underworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-21, 10:21   Link #505
Kazu-kun

3,5k isn't so bad considering the non-existent production values. It's a shame they didn't put a little more work into it. With genuinely good animation, it might have reached 5 or 6k imo.
Old 2014-10-21, 10:48   Link #506
Underworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
3,5k isn't so bad considering the non-existent production values. It's a shame they didn't put a little more work into it. With genuinely good animation, it might have reached 5 or 6k imo.
Yeah its not bad and its only 2 episodes and i hear its really expensive. I think DVD version will come in November

This is the guys comment on behalf of Sailor Moon sales, he runs the page for anime sales

Quote:
Whether Sailor Moon Crystal gets a sequel probably depends little on disc sales. Sailor Moon is such a huge franchise that I imagine its other revenue streams, while obviously much smaller than at their peak, are way more important than BDs.

But in Sailor Moon’s case I think it will really depend on whether they planned to do more from the start. With it running for a year thanks to the insane two weeks per ep schedule, I don’t think we’ll know their plans for a long time.
Old 2014-10-21, 11:13   Link #507
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

I feel so very lied to by these boxes... their pretty exterior does not reflect the quality! inside.

Seriously though.. it's such a shame the actual anime did not receive a similar amount of attention as the design of those boxes seemingly has. I would've wanted to buy the heck out of them. As it is, everyone I know stuck to buying other merchandising instead. No one even wants to talk about the anime.
And those are people that were obsessed with this show :/

So I guess I hope it's true that other revenue counts and we'll see a second season that actually delivers.

Story- wise, I have to agree that it's a shame no one thought to come up with a better game plan for the Dark Kingdom. Would've done a great deal for the show's credibility.
As for The levitation bubble: it looked like it could've been a randomly added skill for Jupiter. But I wish they'd stop with the random flying and teleporting. Something like that happened last episode too and it's frankly bad storytelling. "Lol and then everyone who was somewhere completely different randomly teleported up there because magic, screw it, who even cares." Cheap.
Old 2014-10-21, 13:16   Link #508
RDNexus

I've just started watching Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso and at 2 episodes so far I've been enjoying it.
The main cast is composed of 4 14 year-old boys and girls. At first, I wasn't planning to check it out but something made me change my mind...
However... When I started watching the first episode, what was one of the first things that came to my mind?

SAILOR MOON SHOULD HAVE HAD CHARACTER DESIGNS AND ANIMATION SUCH AS THIS!!! Or something like it, in the least...

Seriously, I was seeing the characters and immediately came to mind the SM's characters if they had tried to go with that art-style... Such tragedy...

Last edited by RDNexus; 2014-10-21 at 14:37.
Old 2014-10-21, 15:16   Link #509
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Seriously, I was seeing the characters and immediately came to mind the SM's characters if they had tried to go with that art-style... Such tragedy...
You mean like this with a bit more detail and expression?
(Enjoy your manly cry over what could have been )

edit: comparison
Old 2014-10-21, 16:47   Link #510
RDNexus

Oh, right... I had forgotten about those awesome fanfic arts... As I said, such tragedy...
Even an art-style of that level could have more than sufficed to all of us... I guess?

Last edited by RDNexus; 2014-10-21 at 17:24.
Old 2014-10-21, 19:50   Link #511
Underworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
You mean like this with a bit more detail and expression?
(Enjoy your manly cry over what could have been )
OMG!

This is horrible! What even..

Thank God its nothing like this
Old 2014-10-21, 23:32   Link #512
Sakuya
*Artist

I think this series still has some potential in terms of story. But I have to agree that the animation is becoming more and more disappointing. Animation critique follows, skip if you want, but I really just want to get this out of my system and be done with it.

Spoiler for Comments on animation:
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-22, 02:58   Link #513
RDNexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underworld View Post
OMG!

This is horrible! What even..

Thank God its nothing like this
Horrible?! In what sense? I'd have preferred that kind of art-style over the one presently used...
Old 2014-10-22, 03:12   Link #514
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
It feels like they're rushed without giving much thought to the staging of each scene besides getting it done on time.
It feels that way because it's most likely true. What with all the delays and then the underwhelming quality of the final product that airs only online, I think it's clear that the series had funding issues (I wouldn't be surprised if sponsors pulled out, etc.) and perhaps unrelated production issues as well. So in the end this was the best they could do with the remaining time and budget. I'm fairly sure that the reason why it's released bi-weekly is because they're producing most, if not all, of the episodes right before they're supposed to air (which is why Makoto's intro episode looked so much better than the ones before - they had three weeks to work on that).

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, I know many people enjoy the show regardless of its flaws, and more power to them (normally I'm not very hung-up on animation quality myself). But I wish we'd knew what happened that things turned out this way, I really doubt that it was the producers' original intention to just churn out a hastily slapped-together internet only anime...
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-22, 14:05   Link #515
Underworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Horrible?! In what sense? I'd have preferred that kind of art-style over the one presently used...
Its just an horrible art style, i like it more now.

Animimation is another topic, i agree they are wonky scenas but its getting better

I think Act2 was a complete disaster in terms with animation, Act 5 was the best so far.
Old 2014-10-22, 17:12   Link #516
RDNexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underworld View Post
Its just an horrible art style, i like it more now.

Animimation is another topic, i agree they are wonky scenas but its getting better

I think Act2 was a complete disaster in terms with animation, Act 5 was the best so far.
Well, diverging opinions. Shoujo art-style is usually far from having the characters anatomically close to realistic, one of the reasons I'd prefer the other art-style better than the present one. And the girls seem more like High Schoolers than Middle Schoolers, they're frigging 14 year-old girls, for God's sake!

Anyway, I asked before, does anyone here have any ideas of how they could have made each episode "logically" better plot-wise? Better saying, the story itself... I'd like to know your opinions and ideas.

Last edited by RDNexus; 2014-10-22 at 18:16.
Old 2014-10-23, 00:13   Link #517
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
It feels that way because it's most likely true. What with all the delays and then the underwhelming quality of the final product that airs only online, I think it's clear that the series had funding issues (I wouldn't be surprised if sponsors pulled out, etc.) and perhaps unrelated production issues as well. So in the end this was the best they could do with the remaining time and budget. I'm fairly sure that the reason why it's released bi-weekly is because they're producing most, if not all, of the episodes right before they're supposed to air (which is why Makoto's intro episode looked so much better than the ones before - they had three weeks to work on that).

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, I know many people enjoy the show regardless of its flaws, and more power to them (normally I'm not very hung-up on animation quality myself). But I wish we'd knew what happened that things turned out this way, I really doubt that it was the producers' original intention to just churn out a hastily slapped-together internet only anime...
But you would think since it's Sailor Moon, such a famed franchise would surely attract tons of sponsors. I mean they're releasing all the toys and merchandise now, plus they had that sale event at Shibuya 109, the manga re-re-release and they're splurging with the BD limited edition by making it all bling bling. It's like all that revenue went poof... Pretty disappointing but it's still worth it to me to continue watching it, I can't wait until the final showdown.

And I'd honestly buy the BD boxset for Crystal once Viz releases it since the animation was touched up a little.

By the way, to answer someone's question from before about Jupiter's flying sphere, she does have that power from the manga. But as far as I can remember, she only used it for the Dark Kingdom arc.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-23, 10:45   Link #518
RDNexus

I'm sorry if I'm being persistent with this question but I'd like to see someone answering it...

From what everyone here has seen of this story so far, how do you think you could rewrite the events to make them more "logical" or closer to a standard of narrative presentation or something like it?

Last edited by RDNexus; 2014-10-23 at 14:55.
Old 2014-10-26, 15:08   Link #519
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Episode 06.

I concur with those who watched this episode weeks ago that the pacing was well done.

The senshi immediately engaged Zoisite without any much-ado-about-nothing tropes, and Sailor Moon engaged Queen Beryl face-to-face after recovering back her self-assertion without playing too much unneeded drama.

It also focused on Mamorus' worries and anxieties to get the Ginzuishou in order to help him recover his memories. Finally, the chemistry between both Usagi and Mamoru played so spontaneously beautiful before and after finding out each other's identities.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 04:45   Link #520
RDNexus

More than one week has gone by and nobody seems to have gotten an interest in my question...

I really just wanted to read your opinions about it...

Tags
mahou shoujo, remake, sailor moon