AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-05-13, 15:32   Link #341
hai_san

I also think the reminiscence scene in MJP with the BGM is very well done, unlike another certain anime with High school musical at the end... it was just way over the top there.
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 16:32   Link #342
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hai_san View Post
I also think the reminiscence scene in MJP with the BGM is very well done, unlike another certain anime with High school musical at the end... it was just way over the top there.
The calm before the storm is how I see it(and spoiler confirmed).
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 16:47   Link #343
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, we really do know very little about the Wulgaru's motives in all of this.

It certainly doesn't look good on the face of it - It definitely does come across as being a blood-thirsty hunt on their part. And it just occurred to me that this being a hunt for the Wulgaru side would make "Team Rabbits" a rather fitting name.

But for all we know currently, the Wulgaru could have a much more reasonable motivation for their actions. It's best to remain prepared for that, especially given how anime often pulls the "last minute sob story meant to make the antagonist more sympathetic" bit.
While that's true it's kinda hard to justify or give them a reasonable motivation when we've seen them going, "Kill all humans, hunt them down like animals!"

I'm hoping it's something that makes sense but I really hope they don't go the "make them sympathetic" to the viewer.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 17:18   Link #344
ReddyRedWolf

Given that Theoria mussing on human literature that she and her guard can't comprehend I see it as a cultural difference between the Earthers and the Wulgur.

Like Predators the Wulgur are a culture around the hunt. There is some indication they may not be native in this universe as they went through a gate.

Humans are highly valued prey as they at least fight back a little for the sport.

But once the humans are able to fight back the Wulgur would be at a corner. They are in for the hunt not be hunted themselves.

I think that is why MJP's use of the Juria system would be significant. The survival instincts of the Ashmb's would overcome the Wulgur's hunting instincts.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-16, 11:27   Link #345
larethian

Spoilers
Spoiler for 7
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-16, 12:24   Link #346
EroKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Spoilers
Spoiler for 7
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Yea that idiot at least ought to get fired at some point, he clearly isn't commander material nor a decent human =_=
Also that alien prince, hope there's more to him than just going around banging women
Old 2013-05-16, 12:38   Link #347
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

Komine doesn't seem bad so far. Anyway, as for this ep
Spoiler:

White haired Char might be an interesting villain, I mean he killed a dunkoleosteus.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-16, 13:19   Link #348
hai_san

Damn when it is getting exciting... next EP grand fight!
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-16, 13:20   Link #349
Puu

The more I watch this series, the more it reminds me of Martian Successor Nadesico. Something about how the characters don't really take their jobs (and themselves) very seriously... and then that incompetent glory-hog commander...

Anyway, maybe it's just me, but I feel like as of Episode 7 it's finally finding its footing (somewhat). I hope it really takes off from here because so far it's kind of... like cotton candy anime. Good, but not much in the way of distinction....
Puu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-16, 14:01   Link #350
Irenesharda

It's funny how introducing your enemies can up the scale of an entire show?

We are beginning to get to the meat of this show as we are introduced to the Wulgaru high council which seems to be made up of the upper echelon of nobles and the king as well as his younger brother. They look just like humans, almost to the point where I thought one character have walked right out of the earth military. While the Wulgaru group is also made up of walking cliches' just as the MJP group is, for some reason I find the Wulgaru much more entertaining!

The Wulgaru appear to be a technologically advanced barbarian race that fights for the glory of the hunt and their entire society seems to revolve around carnal desires and goals. Their entire race seems to go on these epic hunts according to prophecies from their gods. Prince Pleguzas (is that a title? It seems to keep changing as people address him...) Jiart, is a very interesting character as he at first seems like a simple Char clone, however he ends up being quite different since he's the barbarian version. He does what he wants, takes what (and who) he wants, and doesn't give a care about anyone else. It also seems that he has quite a dominating streak about him, and he has a thing for Theoria (Lacus clone), who as been confirmed as an alien herself.
Now is Theoria his and the king's younger sister? The king's daughter? (I really hope not, since Jiart seems to have set his eyes on her...o_o)

As for our MJP crew, they seem to be trying to adjust to life in the real military but are having a little trouble and a bit of homesickness. They also seem to be having family issues since they don't have any memories of a family to have. (Why is that really a good idea again? What sense does it really make to wipe their memories, it doesn't make them perfect soldiers, it just makes them emotional confused.)

They military is organizing a counteroffensive against the Wulgaru known as the Battle of Ceres, however, you can tell from the get go that it will be a failure because of our failure of a pompous tactical vice-chief who ignores all advice and you know will end up getting good soldiers killed.

Unfortunately for the Earth Forces, the Wulgaru have already organized an attack against them and I have to admit when I saw the noble council members in battle, I automatically though "Star Wars" with their color coded units. LOL, they had yellow leader, orange leader, purple leader, red leader, green leader, and blue leader. All the colors of the rainbow!
I like the fact that the aliens ships seem faster and more organic and unique in comparison to the Earth Forces vessels and mechs that look very metallic, unoriginal, and cold.

Looks as if we're going to have an epic fight next week and this is the first time I will actually be looking forward to an MJP episode instead of just nonchalantly checking it out. This episode was more than I expected and so I have to give this an 8/10.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-16, 14:03   Link #351
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

ugh I hate this episode. so many hateble character

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-16, 14:09   Link #352
Irenesharda

What does anyone think about the whole MJP mind wiping thing?

From the way I understand it, they are artificially and genetically enhanced and created by the military (test-tube babies), and then given to foster families to raise until they reach the age of 12. At 12, they have their memories erased and are put in MJP for training until they graduate to go into the real military.

Its really a stupid and unneeded process to get soldiers, especially since it doesn't seem as if they've been fighting the Wulgaru all that long and there seems to be no shortage of able-bodied adults to apply and/or draft into the military. Wouldn't it be much less of a problem and less expensive to just get soldiers the regular way? The MJP students don't really appear all that special no matter how much the exposition says so.

And they say they wipe their memories so they won't have any regrets and will be perfect soldiers. But they will still have memories that they make after their minds were wiped? And actually wouldn't taking away their memories they formed as a child make these teens even more emotionally unstable than they already are? Your childhood forms your foundation of who you are as a person. Why take that away?
Memory wipes would only work if you were going to make these kids into unfeeling killing machines, but it's clear that you're not? So what's the deal?

All the other soldiers seem to be doing fine without memory wipes, why do it to the teenagers who are going to need their background memories more than anyone?

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-05-16, 14:16   Link #353
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

Quote:
It does not seem to be much of a factor so far. I was more annoyed by the "hey get out of my room!" running joke.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-16, 14:21   Link #354
Irenesharda

No, it's not a big factor thus far, but they seem to be mentioning it more and more now, so I think it will eventually become a bigger issue later on down the line.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-05-16, 14:57   Link #355
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Pretty decent build up episode and the sentimental moments thankfully hit the right notes. I don't know what on earth the deal is with the Earth forces explaining their tactics to literally the entire world but again, I'll just chalk that up to the setting they still have yet to fully expand upon.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-16, 15:24   Link #356
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Pretty decent build up episode and the sentimental moments thankfully hit the right notes. I don't know what on earth the deal is with the Earth forces explaining their tactics to literally the entire world but again, I'll just chalk that up to the setting they still have yet to fully expand upon.
I didn't think about it, but I guess since they don't know that the Wulgaru look just like humans and could therefore have spies around every corner, they didn't think of that.

However, broadcasting their attack plan is still irresponsible since they also don't know how advanced Wulgaru tech is. They could be easily be picking up on their broadcasts and the Earth Forces would be none the wiser until they are slaughtered by the enemy.
Maybe that's why the enemy is always waiting for them, one step ahead.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2013-05-16, 20:01   Link #357
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post

From the way I understand it, they are artificially and genetically enhanced and created by the military (test-tube babies), and then given to foster families to raise until they reach the age of 12. At 12, they have their memories erased and are put in MJP for training until they graduate to go into the real military.

Its really a stupid and unneeded process to get soldiers, especially since it doesn't seem as if they've been fighting the Wulgaru all that long and there seems to be no shortage of able-bodied adults to apply and/or draft into the military. Wouldn't it be much less of a problem and less expensive to just get soldiers the regular way? The MJP students don't really appear all that special no matter how much the exposition says so.

And they say they wipe their memories so they won't have any regrets and will be perfect soldiers. But they will still have memories that they make after their minds were wiped? And actually wouldn't taking away their memories they formed as a child make these teens even more emotionally unstable than they already are? Your childhood forms your foundation of who you are as a person. Why take that away?
Memory wipes would only work if you were going to make these kids into unfeeling killing machines, but it's clear that you're not? So what's the deal?

All the other soldiers seem to be doing fine without memory wipes, why do it to the teenagers who are going to need their background memories more than anyone?
Well the gene-babies were originally meant for space colonization not combat.

Only when the war came did MJP thought of using these Augments.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-16, 22:31   Link #358
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Episode 6 was very good in most respects (it was great to finally learn more about the antagonists), but there were definitely some head-scratching plot points (the massive press conference outlining their entire military plan in detail probably beings tops amongst them ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I don't think it's worth the cost, morally speaking, but here is what I think is the rationale behind it:

The JURAI system reacts instantly to the pilot's emotions. So if the pilot is freezing up emotionally, so does the mecha, as we've seen numerous times.

So a key prerequisite to the JURAI-based mechas working is that their pilots have to conquer their fears and doubts; to not succumb to more cowardly (if rational, in some cases) instincts.

Now, let's say these pilots come from normal, loving families. On the field of battle, against long odds, a desire of "I want to go home!" may scream out for the pilots, particularly given their young age. It's not hard to imagine such an instant, passionate desire resulting in a JURAI-based mecha instantly retreating, like a bat out of hell, to the pilot's civilian home on Earth.

Ah, but what if they have no real home to go to? What if the closest thing they have to a home (and family) is their training academy, the ships they serve on, their fellow pilots, their superior officers, and the crews that maintain their mechs? Running away from battle would only serve to disappoint the people of "their home"; it would only serve to disappoint "their family". Their "family" will probably tell them to get back out there and fight. There's no comforting civilian home to run to. There's no "peaceful civilian life" fallback option there.

In Psychology, there's what's called the fight-or-flight response. When faced with danger, people instinctively either fight back or run. People are more likely to fight back if they don't feel like they have a good, safe place to run to. And by severing any familial/civilian ties that the pilots have, there are no real safe places to run to.

Yes, there's a definite cruelty to it. But from a ruthless and purely pragmatic perspective, perhaps it does help. Mind you, I think that even from a purely pragmatic perspective, it only makes sense given the particular strengths and weaknesses of the JURAI-system. If these were Gundam super-mechs, say, then I don't think there'd be much benefit to this genetically engineered and later mind-wiped approach.
Old 2013-05-16, 22:46   Link #359
whsie

Clearly the prologue for the 2nd arc of the story. Gotta admit, I'm pretty hyped about the fight between Izuru and the Prince. Gonna be really interesting to see how Izuru close the experience gap and make it at least a respectable fight. At this point, the Battle (if I were to guess) looks bleak and the Majestic Princes may be the lone shining beacon of the fight.
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-16, 22:52   Link #360
Irenesharda

Well, as the JURIA system (which I also think is stupid and unnecessary) is new and experimental and the only ones who are fit to supposedly test with it are the Fail 5 crew, I highly doubt the mind wiping had anything to do with that, especially since it was started even before they created the JURIA systems.

In fact I think it was Rin who mentions that they wipe the kid soldiers minds when they come into the academy so that they will be perfect soldiers. This is not just Team Rabbits, this is Team Doberman and EVERYONE in the MJP. I think that's an incredibly stupid thing to do with teens since they need that upbringing and those memories to make them who they are. without them, they begin floundering like the Fail 5 are, not knowing where they belong, not having memories of being safe and comforted as children, not even having families in order to fight for.

You get 20 soldiers fighting for their families, they are better than 50 hired guns.

And what are they going to do when the war's over, as they've mentioned in the show. They'll basically just belong to the military to fight whenever they say fight. You'll have an entire generation of maladjusted people who are just being trained to fight and don't really know who they are.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu

Tags
action, actual mecha action, comedy, mecha, science fiction