AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2007-06-06, 05:00   Link #821
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Nothing wrong with a bit of random every now and then. If we had this every episode, it'd be a different story, since we'd all get tired of it pretty quickly. But as a one-off, it's more than fine, since I thought it was quite funny, in an off-the-wall way. And I reckon I picked up on just under half of the references Fruitfly listed. That's far better than what I generally do while watching Lucky Star, which can at times have some incredibly obscure references.

Ep 10.

Is this random? I did enjoy this ep, but like I said, I don't think we can have this too often, particularly given that the real hook to this show is the situation comedy and character interactions. I love the seiyuu jokes, though. "Sumeshi Beeeeaaaamu" and Nagi wearing the Tristein Academy school uniform separated by not more than ten seconds just knocked me out of my chair.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 05:34   Link #822
Bondius
Busting in on girls.. O.O

These two were just begging to be made:
Spoiler for Hina and Maria:

I love fanservice ...
Bondius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 06:06   Link #823
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

I have to disagree with you houkoholic beacuse there are lots of english movie references and other obscure things. I doubt the JP audience under 15 years old is getting any of this. and please dont try and argue this show is intended for adult audiences. the show airs at 10am on sunday mornings and has the please watch this in a bright room message for kids. the manga may have originally been for older audiences, but not the anime. i'm pretty sure that 95% of the japanese otaku are asleep at this time, unless there's a two for one sale in Akihabara. besides being japanese doesnt give you magical goggles that work. most of these are visual references in the first place. sure, i'll give u the verbal pun's, but the parodies need better work.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 07:40   Link #824
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
I have to disagree with you houkoholic beacuse there are lots of english movie references and other obscure things. I doubt the JP audience under 15 years old is getting any of this. and please dont try and argue this show is intended for adult audiences. the show airs at 10am on sunday mornings and has the please watch this in a bright room message for kids.
Sorry but don't even argue what you don't even know please? There are these things that's call VCR ands DVRs here in Japan too and guess what, people uses them! That's how you get these damn raws for fansubbers to work with to begin with, think about it. Gurren Lagunn airs at 8:30am in the Sunday morning and look what happens with the whole 2ch fiscal in regards to episode 4, so you think nobody over 15 watches Gurren Lagunn too because it's so early, even earlier than Hayate, in the morning? It must be an illusion.

Seriously don't ever use timeslots and otaku sleep pattern as the be-all argument who watches what and when, it makes you look stupid. It's like saying that only male reads shounen manga and only female reads shoujo.

It's already established in the otaku circle that this show is not aiming for kids despite its timeslot. This show is for otakus, the gags are otaku gags, plain and simple.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 07:44   Link #825
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
I want one of those cell phones that can summon giant robots.
Old 2007-06-06, 07:53   Link #826
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Boys and Girls, listen up.

The moral regarding anime-original episodes like episode 10 was is that...
Spoiler:

Children and teen of today's generation must never look down upon the good games of the age of old. I am an 80's ojii-sama or o-san.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 08:07   Link #827
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
I'm not much younger than you, so I'm in that group.

Unfortunately, I never got to play the old NES, my first console was the Gameboy and then I got the Saga Genesis (whatever it was called back then when Sonic first came out). Still remember I had that magnifying glass attached to the gameboy...
Old 2007-06-06, 09:33   Link #828
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondius View Post
These two were just begging to be made:
Spoiler for Maria:

I love fanservice ...
Spoiler for wtf:

Cookies for 1st to identify ^^v..

Aww shoot.. I forgot my lurking coat again
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 12:04   Link #829
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Well im not the most well versed anime watcher out there, but I still get most of the parodies in a average episode...Didnt really think they where that obscure.

But the fact that maria gets some spotlight both good(Fanservice) and Bad(the letters) makes the episode instant win lol. Id so be there with the guys at the start of the episode.
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 15:41   Link #830
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

There are these things that's call VCR ands DVRs here in Japan too and guess what, people uses them!

exactly, because otaku record pokemon and digimon, it must be for overweight single males over 40 years old who post on 2CH and 4CH.

no...

Seriously don't ever use timeslots and otaku sleep pattern as the be-all argument who watches what and when, it makes you look stupid. It's like saying that only male reads shounen manga and only female reads shoujo.

if you don't even have enough common sense to realize kids watch tv on weekend mornings, not much of a discussion, now is it?

no where in my post did I say people over 15 years old cannot like hayate.
what I said is that this show is clearly targeted to a younger audience and I don't think that auidence is getting all the jokes.

I'm not here to give you lessons on television marketing or how advertising works,
that's what college is for, but if you want to argue that this show is targetted to otaku, then come up with some real evidence to support your claim. "My friends like to talk about it on 2-chan," well that doesn't cut the butter with me, friend. try something like pointing out the differences in censorship between the manga and anime, where did the manga originally show up, and who buys that publication.

of course, I agree with you otaku love this show. look at me, I'm thirty years old and I watch it, but that doesn't mean the show is marketed towards me.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 23:06   Link #831
Fruitfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto View Post
Spoiler for wtf:

Cookies for 1st to identify ^^v..

Aww shoot.. I forgot my lurking coat again
What did you do to Maria?!
She got pregnant? and her child is Yomi?

btw timeslots is kind of weird. I believe Azumanga was shown at like 1am or 2am.
Fruitfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 23:20   Link #832
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
what I said is that this show is clearly targeted to a younger audience and I don't think that auidence is getting all the jokes. [...] of course, I agree with you otaku love this show. look at me, I'm thirty years old and I watch it, but that doesn't mean the show is marketed towards me.
Like a lot of modern animation (both in the U.S. and abroad), I think the key here is that it works for both audiences. Its heavy promotion in magazines like Megami is a pretty big hint that they're looking for a broad cross-section. Of course, it is obviously a shounen manga and placed in a shounen timeslot; I think you're right that the younger crowd won't get all the references. But that's sort of the secret -- it's got all the standard shounen trappings to reach that younger demographic, with enough otaku puns to keep the "older" crowd entertained. They obviously know that kids buy the toys/manga, and otaku buy the DVDs -- I expect they're trying to sell to both. In U.S. terms, it reminds me a lot of Pixar's strategy (obviously applied to an entirely different audience set). Basically, if you can enjoy the show whether you understand all the puns or not, then it worked.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-06, 23:31   Link #833
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitfly View Post
What did you do to Maria?!
She got pregnant? and her child is Yomi?

btw timeslots is kind of weird. I believe Azumanga was shown at like 1am or 2am.

Its a parody of Rozen Maiden.. Maria = Rie Tanaka = Suigintou = no stomach.

the boy = angsty position + glass = Jun

O_O.. that boy could be girl = Yomi from AzuDai (also Rie's char) as well (emo about food all day long)
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 01:20   Link #834
Katsu Koneko
明日がある

Send a message via AIM to Katsu Koneko
XD Yay for Rozen Maiden parody. It does look like Jun and with the glasses, Yomi~

I drew Neko Hayate. ^^
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/57024699/

My AnimelistMy DeviantartMy Youtube
Index & Spinx banner Made by Pellissier / Keiichi & Rika Icon Made by Nabiki Asakura
Katsu Koneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 01:26   Link #835
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
if you don't even have enough common sense to realize kids watch tv on weekend mornings, not much of a discussion, now is it?
And if you don't have enough common sense to realise that not only kids watch tv on weekend mornings, not much of a discussion is there too right?

Quote:
what I said is that this show is clearly targeted to a younger audience and I don't think that auidence is getting all the jokes.
Which I just told you you are plain wrong, as the puns were clearly designed for otakus.

Quote:
I'm not here to give you lessons on television marketing or how advertising works,
that's what college is for, but if you want to argue that this show is targetted to otaku, then come up with some real evidence to support your claim.
I already did, the proof is in the content of the show. Those are puns and otaku jokes from 70s 80s anime and seiyuu jokes from the very first episode and they never for a second went outside of that formula. They already know kids don't *get* them because common sense will know those jokes are from shows that are popular before those under 15s were even *born*, yet it's littered throughout the entire show. So tell me, oh-so-great-wisdom-of-marketing, what promotes the creators to continously put and push otaku jokes in a show that is marketed towards children, as you claim, who obviously don't get it? So they can totally bomb it and tell sponsers they did a great job at running the entire IP and franchise into the ground? What marketing and advertising school did that come from?
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 21:39   Link #836
Fruitfly

New ending song was announced. I'm guessing it'll air in episode 13 or 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://aibublog.wordpress.com/2007/06/06/new-hayate-no-gotoku-end-theme-to-be-sung-by-mami-kawada
I’ve Sound-heavy anime Hayate no Gotoku’s second ending theme will be called “Get my way!” and will be performed by Mami Kawada. Other credits or an air date for the first episode with the new theme have yet to be announced, but the single is set to be released on the 8th of August.
For those who don't know who Mami Kawada is, she also did Shana's first opening, Onegai Teacher and Onegai Twin ending, and Starship Operators opening.
Fruitfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 22:31   Link #837
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
then puns, crossovers, parodies in Hayate are really lame in my opinion.

like 85% of them go over people's heads, *WoosH*

this is not like pani poni dash where finding the references was fun.
Luckily this is not like that.

This was just a random, Negima!?-like episode, but seriously this anime does not focus on that, but on the relationships and interactions of the characters.
Thank god for that. Because at least youre 40 years old and live in Japan, finding references in PPD is a total pain (and its the main attractive of the show).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitfly
New ending song was announced. I'm guessing it'll air in episode 13 or 14

http://aibublog.wordpress.com/2007/0...by-mami-kawada
I’ve Sound-heavy anime Hayate no Gotoku’s second ending theme will be called “Get my way!” and will be performed by Mami Kawada. Other credits or an air date for the first episode with the new theme have yet to be announced, but the single is set to be released on the 8th of August.
For those who don't know who Mami Kawada is, she also did Shana's first opening, Onegai Teacher and Onegai Twin ending, and Starship Operators opening.
Good
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 01:01   Link #838
myopius

I've watched plenty of shows like this one which are pseudo-harem in that the main character could be seen as suitable to have a relationship with any one of several female characters, and in each of them I either don't care about any of those relationships or I only care about the one who seems "obvious" (first female introduced, spends all her time with the male lead...). Since the main female character in Hayate no Gotoku is an immature kid who's imagining her entire romance with Hayate, I figured then this would be one of the shows where I don't care about any of the relationships, and so was really surprised to find myself becoming a supporter of Katsura.

When this show ends I'll have to continue on with the manga to read on and find out if Hayate ever ends up with her. I can't believe that he'll end up with the only other two possibilities I can see, Nagi or Maria (and definitely not Isumi since she has Wataru), any interest between him and each of them has been completely one-sided with no visible potential for the "other side" to appear. (Well, there's also the girl in the OP who's at the end of the big right-to-left-scrolling character appearance animation, but I have a sense that the depth of that relationship will be about the same as the depth of Mutsumi in Love Hina--there's the "idea" that they could have something, but they'll probably barely spend any time with each other or have meaningful exchanges of feelings. Although I could be 100% incorrect in that prediction/analysis...)

But I suppose with the amount of text I've now typed up about it, I'm over-representing my interest in the romance aspect of the show. What I love about this show is definitely the comedy plus the entertainingly crazy plot twists. Seto no Hanayome has better comedy IMO but the plot aspect allows this show to rival (and exceed) that one.
Old 2007-06-08, 02:24   Link #839
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Boys and Girls, listen up.

The moral regarding anime-original episodes like episode 10 was is that...
Spoiler:

Children and teen of today's generation must never look down upon the good games of the age of old. I am an 80's ojii-sama or o-san.
Filler..... that's all. I want my 20 minutes back.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 07:38   Link #840
UPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Filler..... that's all. I want my 20 minutes back.
could not agree with you more on that
UPR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, romance, shounen, synergy sp