AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-01-25, 00:25   Link #1
daiphongdao
Fairy follower

Send a message via Yahoo to daiphongdao
Is it possible to creat and seed a torrent without tracker using magnet link?

So today I try to creat a torrent and leave it trackers field empty. After that I seed this torrent from my desktop and copy its magnet link to my laptop.
However, when I use that magnet link to download the torrent I create from my desktop to my laptop for some reason the client on my laptop cannot find the seeder even though both PC are on the same LAN network.
After that I try to download from my desktop to a virtual machine ( the virtual machine is also on my desktop and I use Virtual PC) using the same magnet link and this time it works.
Here's my desktop uTorrent client settings:

Could someone please help me here?
Old 2012-01-25, 04:38   Link #2
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
I don't really understand why you are using magnet link ; Why not just put thepiratebay or something in the tracker field? No one else can NOT download the files, even with a tracker there, if you do not upload the torrent file to a site.

Also there are better ways to transfer files from PC to PC in LAN network than torrents..
Old 2012-01-25, 06:08   Link #3
daiphongdao
Fairy follower

Well I know that there are better ways to transfer file between PCs in LAN network, and I have uploaded torrent to public tracker as well as private tracker before. I just want to do some experiment with magnet link.
Beside, it's entirely possible to share a torrent without uploading it to some site.
Old 2012-01-25, 23:25   Link #4
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
' Beside, it's entirely possible to share a torrent without uploading it to some site. ''

Isn't that what I just said -_-

And if it works through other means, why bother with this, especially if it doesn't even work.
Old 2012-01-26, 00:07   Link #5
daiphongdao
Fairy follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
And if it works through other means, why bother with this, especially if it doesn't even work.
Curiosity I guess
Old 2012-01-26, 05:26   Link #6
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
If memory serves Vuze has a option to use your computer as the tracker since I'm guessing leaving the tracker field empty would cause the problems and I think that the local peer discovery in µtorrent won't work without the tracker information (but then I haven't used any bittorrent client for a few years so I could be talking out of my backside) and I think your success using a virtual machine on the same computer might be because it's on the same computer (I'm guessing doing the same through a virtual machine on another computer would yield the same results as using another computer, but then it could be another run of talking out of my backside again).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 14:11   Link #7
Jaden

The virtual machine works differently than the laptop, apparently.
How have you configured the networking of the virtual PC?

If it's "bridge mode", the virtual PC should have its own, complete identity in the network, so it should behave just like your laptop when picking up torrents.

If it's "shared networking mode" the virtual PC will share an IP, or at least the MAC address in the network, so it might behave differently than the laptop.
Old 2012-01-26, 21:23   Link #8
daiphongdao
Fairy follower

I used bridge mode.