AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2019-08-13, 05:07   Link #61
LG-MAX 2.o

The movie has grossed more than 1 billion yen. :https://twitter.com/promare_movie/st...00722177925120

Last edited by LG-MAX 2.o; 2019-08-13 at 12:51.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-17, 14:17   Link #62
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Gonna watch the dubbed version tonight. Looking forward to it!
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-17, 22:53   Link #63
Irenesharda

Just came back from seeing this movie. Saw it on a whim as honestly, I had forgotten all about it after the initial PV came out. However, I was not disappointed and had a good time. Loved Lio and Galo, though Lio was my favorite. The story was pretty predictable, but still quite enjoyable. I kind of wish the story was a little longer and we were able to get more on the Burnish. Many of the infamous Triggerisms were there, but we just laughed and had fun!

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-19, 09:11   Link #64
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
The story was pretty predictable, but still quite enjoyable. I kind of wish the story was a little longer and we were able to get more on the Burnish. Many of the infamous Triggerisms were there, but we just laughed and had fun!
Yup, agree with pretty much all this. It was a feast for the eyes and ears.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-20, 14:01   Link #65
LG-MAX 2.o

Promare Anime Film Gets 4D Screenings, Earns 1.2 Billion Yen: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...on-yen/.151352

BD release should still take a while ...

At least success creates the possibility of other projects.
Old 2019-09-20, 14:27   Link #66
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Saw the movie last night, as Irenesharda said, predictable, but a fun watch.
Old 2019-09-20, 23:43   Link #67
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I laughed at the Matoi armor.

I saw this in Boston with subs last night and was naturally the oldest person in the theater. There was one guy who might have been in his early forties. Everyone else was well under thirty.

After the first twenty minutes I worried whether the whole film would proceed at the same torrid pace the opening sequence does. Would there ever be a quiet period where we could relax for a moment? But Imaishi puts them in there as well -- eating pizza, skating on an ice lake -- to pace us.

I watched the staff roundtable at the end. The character designer said that SUSHIO was animation director on the film. He was the character designer for Kill la Kill, but he showed his chops as an animator in his music video of KISS vs MCZ. The character designs in Promare are pretty similar to those in Kill la Kill and Gurren Lagann.

The seiyuu cast include some of the great veterans we heard in Kill la Kill as well, and some excellent newcomers like Saotome Taichi who voiced Lio. Koshimizu Ami transforms herself from hot-headed Ryoko to a cool, introverted scientist. Tetsu Inada (Gamagoori) and Shintami Mayumi (Nonon, Haruko in FLCL) also appear.

I'll have to listen to Sawano's score separately to evaluate it. I thought it stood out less than his score for Kill la Kill, but I thought that made it a better score in some ways.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2019-09-20 at 23:53.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-21, 15:24   Link #68
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Did no one else see this film in the theater this week? I expected to see a lot more comments.
Old 2019-09-22, 01:53   Link #69
Irenesharda

I don't think having the showings on Tues and Thurs helped it. My showings of the movie were only at one time and very small. Also, it didn't have a lot of promotion. I saw it on a whim myself barely remembering it was going to come out. It wasn't like when I went to see the Hero Academia movie.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2019-09-22, 06:28   Link #70
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

When I looked for tickets on Monday for the Thursday subtitled showing, all three venues in Boston were nearly sold out. It was playing in two theaters at the venue I selected.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2019-09-28, 00:28   Link #71
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

I went to go watch it with my friend.

To put it simply, it was over-the-top and fun. It's so over-the-top, it leaves you going "Pff, sure ", but since it is so over-the-top and still makes sense in its world setting, it is fun to watch. Quoting my friend, it was what Darlin in the Franks tried to be, but failed because they weren't over-the-top enough and thus ended up looking just stupid.

It really felt like the staff put in everything they love, drills, robots, butts, and a random black line covering the clothes of the girl to make her look naked.

Also, the use of geometry shapes in the animation was pretty.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-28, 12:04   Link #72
LG-MAX 2.o

Blu-ray release is scheduled for February 5, 2020: https://www.amazon.co.jp/【Amazon-co-...XDZMNABK8M91Z5
Old 2019-10-03, 19:20   Link #73
Irenesharda

They've been starting to show the movie again in select theaters around me in the US, so I would check your local places to see if there is a theater nearby playing it in case you missed it the first time.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2019-10-04, 08:07   Link #74
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

https://gkidstickets.com/us/promare/

Don't see an obvious way to identify subtitled versus dubbed showings though. You have to look at each showtime, at least for the theater here in Boston. I looked at a couple of cities. It appears to be running through next Wednesday, October 9th.
Old 2019-10-04, 21:56   Link #75
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Went to see Promare again tonight. This time the theater was much less crowded, since they are doing five shows per day, but there was a large contingent of girls who cheered when
Spoiler:
Had a feeling they were all waiting for that scene.

I'm impressed at how well Shitani Mayumi's voice has held up over the years. At 43 she still sounds a lot like Haruhara Haruko from FLCL.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2019-10-04 at 22:11.
Old 2019-10-11, 18:25   Link #76
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
Loved the movie, but plot kinda triggers me. Another one of those movies where I kinda agreed with the antagonist but everything in the end was magically solved through the power of friendship
Old 2019-10-11, 21:08   Link #77
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Went to see Promare again tonight. This time the theater was much less crowded, since they are doing five shows per day, but there was a large contingent of girls who cheered when
Spoiler:
Had a feeling they were all waiting for that scene.

I'm impressed at how well Shitani Mayumi's voice has held up over the years. At 43 she still sounds a lot like Haruhara Haruko from FLCL.
I had a little free time, so I searched by the Promare hashtag, and welp, all I saw where those pictures.
Not surprised, even if I facepalm at it.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-31, 04:52   Link #78
LG-MAX 2.o

The movie has grossed 1.4 billion yen: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...on-yen/.152796
Old 2020-02-07, 17:58   Link #79
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The BD's been out for a few days. Watched it and I thought it was good, but nothing to write home about. Certainly not a work I'll remember. Sure, there was some awesome animation, but the action itself felt like it was trying to emulate Gurren Lagann without ever managing to capture what made it so awesome and just ended up underwhelming me.

As for the plot, it was pretty much garbage.
Old 2020-02-11, 09:58   Link #80
LG-MAX 2.o

The film's BD sold more than 48,000 copies in the first week.