AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

View Poll Results: Total Eclipse - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 10 20.83%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 31.25%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 16.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 14.58%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 14.58%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 2.08%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-29, 09:58   Link #81
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I'm also reluctant to pose the, "Who am I?" question in regards to Yuuya, cause he might just answer back with, "I'm Yuuya, bitch, the TSFsexual."
A key element of Yuuya's story is that he doesn't actually know who he is, and can't really answer that question That said, the more the story goes along, the more his answer evolves.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-10-29, 10:20   Link #82
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
A key element of Yuuya's story is that he doesn't actually know who he is, and can't really answer that question That said, the more the story goes along, the more his answer evolves.
Interesting. How would you say episode 17 contributed to Yuuya's evolution? I hope I didn't put you in the spot.
Old 2012-10-29, 10:29   Link #83
klare

they give us a one minute fight and then spend the rest of the episode showing us the harem fight (is Tarisa forgotten?), well at least they remember to setup the fight vs US

the betas must be so curious on who will win Yuuya that they hold on their attack for now
Old 2012-10-29, 10:34   Link #84
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post

the betas must be so curious on who will win Yuuya that they hold on their attack for now

I think at this point anything that walks on two legs have a shot at hooking up with Yuuya. Jerzy Sandak is included.
Old 2012-10-29, 10:52   Link #85
dmaxzero

In fact, I am still wondering how any of the girls fell for Yuuya in the first place. I do enjoy the antics and situations, but I dont know what triggered Yui and CryskaŽs Flag. Of all the love interest, the only one that makes sense in a cliche way is Yufei, at least you see her somewhat, weird reasoning for that. Its anime and i know it, but... :d
Old 2012-10-29, 10:54   Link #86
Alastor Mobius Toth
Idar Lead

I think people misunderstand. This wasn't a Yuuya episode. This was the "rest of the cast" episode. For once, we have seen that Cryska does have feelings - but she's wholly unprepared on how to deal with them. Inia being Inia is not helping. And we have the typical Yui's "WHY AM I BEHIND!?" consternation.

Anyway, Total Eclipse was never intended to be a big war story (like it was said already) or being excessively conspiracy-esque; that's what Schwarzemarken and The Day After are for. The incessant problems of adaptation of a side-story, it would seem.

And it may sound a little bit ridiculous, but the whole identity questions being flown around are more serious then it can be inferred from the nature of the show. As someone who had spent a great deal of time as an expat in largely homogenous society, Yuuya's identity crisis is a bit waaaaayyyy to familiar to me, though naturally, without all the drama included. Or not so severe.

Back on topic, I congratulate Cui's bravery, but it was rather obvious who was going to win there. Your "I just wanna fight" attitude is not helping.

And once again, Raptor's design is awesome.

Sharon being the master b**** again. Though those MPs aren't doing it right - your first run into the bar, load your guns so that everyone can hear you; because the sound of automatic rifles being cocked gets everyone's attention, drunken or not.

And someone has to screencap Cui's "What's your problem Princess?" moment. So much gold.
Old 2012-10-29, 11:23   Link #87
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxzero View Post
In fact, I am still wondering how any of the girls fell for Yuuya in the first place. I do enjoy the antics and situations, but I dont know what triggered Yui and CryskaŽs Flag. Of all the love interest, the only one that makes sense in a cliche way is Yufei, at least you see her somewhat, weird reasoning for that. Its anime and i know it, but... :d
I may have found what triggered the Yui flag....

It's obviously the paddling. The man knows how to take charge with a paddle in his hand. Still scouring for the Cryska flag, but I'm confident it's out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor Mobius Toth View Post

And someone has to screencap Cui's "What's your problem Princess?" moment. So much gold.
Old 2012-10-29, 11:23   Link #88
Alastor Mobius Toth
Idar Lead

Pretty certain it might have something to do with Yuuya treating Cryska as fellow human being.

And, them MURICAN abs, obviously.

And you sir, you just made my day.
Old 2012-10-29, 11:32   Link #89
tsunade666

Quote:
Interesting. How would you say episode 17 contributed to Yuuya's evolution? I hope I didn't put you in the spot.
Hmm... Yuuya's evolution well from the beginning he is an arrogant bastard that only sees it his way. He thinks Japanese are crap and is full of himself that he is "american" total despise for Japanese.

But after meeting a hard headed Yui that helps him get over with his own stupid pride. He becomes in love with his shiranui second that he wants to be one with it he finally accepts the tsf that its not a piece of crap but an ore that needs to be polished and he need skills to do it.

He undergo mild train wreck when he met the BETA got praised and spoiled by his surrounding being a total noob in BETA fighting but he overcomes it in the end and ending up trashing his beloved shiranui at the process but by that time he finally understand himself and not full of himself and finally accepts his japanese side which makes him more mature and stop being childish and racist.

And in the past few episode and the latest. He is not the one asking for advice and finding answers but the one giving answers to Cryska which is a huge development from him. From throwing tantrums to being an adviser to someone who has the same problem as him though that what he thinks.

He might finally mature in his mentality but when a girl said that your causing some problems for him and she can't understand it. You won't answer that "I understand, Shiraunai second also gives me the same problem" saying that its because of your superior that you finally overcome that "superior's pressure" and the expectations that everyone hopes for you.

he matures in his head but it looks like he is still hiding something from what Leon said. Yuuya is still running from something but its not about his race anymore but maybe his past mistake that he wants to forget and Leon just wants to rub it on him but oh well.

The kid finally matures and find his collection of tos from america boring and finally goes international and even love the toys from japan but he only likes the toys not the girl who help to produce it. He still has much to learn.

and I think its not Yuuya alone who matures and evolve in the story.

Yui also evolves and matures in the story. From emotional trainwreck girl that has trauma on BETA from a in love teenage girl.

The next one in line to mature is Cryscka
Old 2012-10-29, 11:51   Link #90
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I'm in agreement with your views more or less. Rather than Yuuya, I think it's Yui and Cryska who are benefiting much more as characters from this story. Yui was a mess since her traumatic encounter with the Beta. She was truly lost at how to further the agenda of winning against the relentless and ruthless Beta. Cryska is also interesting in her own way. The question of "who am I" might be a literal one when it comes to her considering she may very well be a product of bioengineering. Compared to them and what they have gone through, Yuuya's inferiority complex based on his own identity crisis is so silly. My impression of him in general is that he is a mean to further the unraveling for the likes of Yui and Cryska and even Inia to a certain degree. Yuuya, on the other hand, is a pretty one dimensional and have not yet seen any meaningful character development.
Old 2012-10-29, 11:58   Link #91
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
I wouldn't say it contributed to Yuuya specifically, because again, as AMT said, it was more of a cast episode. What we see is the results of Yuuya's evolution so far, which contrasts how he was when he came to Yukon: he was a selfish, self-absorbed cocky jerkass with a chip on his shoulder; in the last few months he's grown up, and is able to put his pride aside and concentrate on the job. It's most explicit with him and Yui: in the earlier episodes he was an ass to her and she was a bitch to him; now they can talk to each other as human beings, and they're actually being tsundere to each other without the usual tsundere violence.

And no, I don't mind being put on the spot - I studied law and dreamt of being a trial lawyer. Getting put on the spot woulda been a regular occurrence. And since I work in customer service, that's also a regular occurrence for me.

Anyway, to get back to my main point, what we see here is not further development of Yuuya, but instead we see the ripple effects this development has on the people around him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor Mobius Toth View Post
Though those MPs aren't doing it right - your first run into the bar, load your guns so that everyone can hear you; because the sound of automatic rifles being cocked gets everyone's attention, drunken or not.
Or, when assault rifles are not present, shotguns, because as that unnamed UNSC Marine said, "I believe that the sound of racking the pump of a shotgun is universally recognized as "kiss your ass goodbye"."

...dafuq, you changed your avatar to Yifei. While I can't say I disapprove, I almost didn't recognise you, lol

Quote:
I'm in agreement with your views more or less. Rather than Yuuya, I think it's Yui and Cryska who are benefiting much more as characters from this story. Yui was a mess since her traumatic encounter with the Beta. She was truly lost at how to further the agenda of winning against the relentless and ruthless Beta. Cryska is also interesting in her own way. The question of "who am I" might be a literal one when it comes to her considering she may very well be a product of bioengineering. Compared to them and what they have gone through, Yuuya's inferiority complex based on his own identity crisis is so silly. My impression of him in general is that he is a mean to further the unraveling for the likes of Yui and Cryska and even Inia to a certain degree. Yuuya, on the other hand, is a pretty one dimensional and have not yet seen any meaningful character development.
...yes and no; with Yuuya, while he has an inferiority complex based on his identity crisis, and while in the grand scheme of things it is not as critical/important/significant as Yui or Cryska's issues, it's like saying that bleeding out from your wrists isn't as bad as bleeding out from the jugular vein, or getting your arm blown off by a .50 BMG round. His issues will continue to affect and color everything he sees. He reacts towards others based on the hurts of his childhood, which are festering wounds that haven't been treated.

Speaking from personal experience, these things take time to work through. Comparing how Yuuya was so determinedly anti-Japanese at the start of the show, and compared to how he is now, he has shown remarkable improvement. I view him more as a catalyst for triggering change in others. It's sorta a ripple effect: Yuuya begins to deal with the shit in his past; as he does so, the ripple effects of dealing with that shit affect the two girls he's with the most, which triggers their development. But that's really just my take on this.

Yuuya is the snowflake that starts the avalanche, if you will.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-10-29, 13:23   Link #92
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

Just another day with Yuuya and his harem.

I more interested in Leon was going to say about Yuuyas past. Maybe more will be revealed next episode.
Old 2012-10-29, 13:25   Link #93
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:

...yes and no; with Yuuya, while he has an inferiority complex based on his identity crisis, and while in the grand scheme of things it is not as critical/important/significant as Yui or Cryska's issues, it's like saying that bleeding out from your wrists isn't as bad as bleeding out from the jugular vein, or getting your arm blown off by a .50 BMG round. His issues will continue to affect and color everything he sees. He reacts towards others based on the hurts of his childhood, which are festering wounds that haven't been treated.
While you are right to a certain degree, I should also point out that as an audience we are observing the event that are shaping these characters. It's not us who are going through these events. We can garner sympathy or be even empathic if any of these situation aligns to our own life experience but it's hard to imagine a moment as egregious as seeing ones comrade die brutally who is begging for a mercy kill, and yet she couldn't even pull the trigger to spare her comrade from the inevitable agony of terror. Yuuya, on the other hand.... well, his complex is contributed by his mother's family who never warmed up to his Japanese father and his own sensitivity toward how he was treated growing up because of his half Japanese side. So if I compare Yui's story from Yuuya's as an audience of this show, then Yuuya suffered a papercut on the inside of his pinky. His development is nothing more than that he is a bit more comfortable due to the people around him who have went through similar form discrimination/bullying (and much much worse). I also have a feeling it won't take too much to unravel Yuuya as shown in the bar fight of this episode.

With that said, I'm in complete agreement with you in your following point:

Quote:
Anyway, to get back to my main point, what we see here is not further development of Yuuya, but instead we see the ripple effects this development has on the people around him.
Old 2012-10-29, 13:47   Link #94
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
if I compare Yui's story from Yuuya's as an audience of this show, then Yuuya suffered a papercut on the inside of his pinky. His development is nothing more than that he is a bit more comfortable due to the people around him who have went through similar form discrimination/bullying (and much much worse).
That's true, and you're right in this regard, albeit I'd add that the papercut was left untreated and by this point has become infected and festering. That said, IMO we're both correct, differring only in the approach we use to interpret the characters, following them from the omniscient 3rd person POV, or following the characters and judging them by their own experiences.

That said, I'll note that Yuuya has made progress since the start of the show (including in his professional aspects), but you're right, it's still not a major change. Then again IRL people can stay stagnant for years.

Quote:
I also have a feeling it won't take too much to unravel Yuuya as shown in the bar fight of this episode.
Completely agree. The chip on his shoulder due to being Japanese-American was lessened... But he really hates Leon, which would be just the right catalyst to trigger a backslide.

...I think part of why this has been such a pleasant discussion is because, at the end of the day, we're both right.

...also maybe I'm just easily amused, but I couldn't help chuckle at the two couples fleeing the MPs. I can just imagine, years from now...

Spoiler for Speculative snapshot of TE, many years in the future:

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-10-29, 14:56   Link #95
Esg

I need gifs people
Old 2012-10-29, 16:17   Link #96
Blonto

The animation...it's so baaaad! It made it hard (well, harder) to take anything seriously. Well, that and female military personnel acting like little schoolgirls.
Lol weren't those MPs only a few meters behind them? And then they just disappear? How very nice of them.
I really didn't expect Cui to be the type that would apologize for physically assaulting the MC. Most anime girls are sadists towards the guys they have a crush on. That said, Yuuya is kind of a wuss. Does a punch from a Chinese girl really hurt that much? Well, his "abs" did look bloody creepy in that beach episode.

Quote:
Can someone point out why does Cryska fell for Yuuya? What is the reason?
Because he's the main character. Isn't that explanation enough for you?
Old 2012-10-29, 18:20   Link #97
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

He's not a wuss, it's a normal reaction from a crushing blow. You'd crumple too if you got hit in the solar plexus.

You should know, you watch Ippo. Body blows hurt.

Last edited by playmaker2k; 2012-10-29 at 18:36.
Old 2012-10-29, 18:38   Link #98
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Fun.

Can someone point out why does Cryska fell for Yuuya? What is the reason?
Inia is at fault. She likes Cryska but she likes Yuuya as well. Cryska likes Inia so she should like Yuuya as well. Yuuya likes Inia ( imouto vibes) so Yuuya must like her (Cryska) too...
Old 2012-10-29, 19:39   Link #99
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

I think what happen was Inia immediately got attached to Yuuya and then Cryska wanted to investigate this new phenomenon with "that man".

It all started back in the beach episode when Cryska wanted to know more about Yuuya in order to find out what his objectives are for Inia. She finally has her "Pleasurable Discussion" with Ensign Bridges. Yui is not amused by this.

During they're outdoor and in cave talks, Cryska manages to ask personal questions to Yuuya about his family. Oddly enough, they were connecting while Yui was listening and downloading all of Yuuya's stats for future references. lol

After they got rescued from Gilligan's Island, she was watched Yuuya and Yui defend themselves from Argos Flight's teasing melee which then triggers the Cryska route.

Last edited by playmaker2k; 2012-10-29 at 19:53.
Old 2012-10-29, 22:43   Link #100
GreenČ
It's bacon!

Quote:
*spittake* Inia is the only kid I have ever seen who LIKES getting injections instead of oral medication.

That said, for bitter pills, I'd swallow them with a teaspoon of honey.
I had a line break just after you said "oral". No spit-take there. Only, just a really long pause, and then the word medication appears. Of course I wouldn't be surprised if that scene ends up within a doujin at some later point.
Closed Thread