AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2006-08-16, 14:37   Link #121
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Wow what a new and creative thread?? I don't think we've ever talked about this in here ...

CN is trying to get that DBZ hit again...Naruto is the closest thing they have to getting it which is why they want to show it to the kid-demographic...The demographic which asks their parents to buy toys, videogames, and apparel with Naruto's name on it...This show despite it's violence is not a show that appeals to [adult swims] core demo...So it's on Toonami and ratings numbers for Naruto are sky-high as it's the most popular new show by far on the station according to the numbers...So don't expect any changes...
Old 2006-08-16, 14:51   Link #122
ragweed
woah woah!

Quote:
decent dub?
It is a decent dub.
ragweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 15:37   Link #123
SpecterVR
Calming Everyday Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazakura
and Naruto wasn't intended for freakin' ten year olds!
Wait, what?
I thought thats exactly who it was intended for.
As for the dub, well, they did well enough. I mean, Theres much better out there, but theres much DEFINITELY worse. But its not bad, they got it right and they'll probably get it righter as they get used to the roles.

I've never really understood why people take shounen animes so seriously...
SpecterVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 15:59   Link #124
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuujin
Intended audience is the same in both the US and Japan, btw, it's TV standards that differ. Secondly, there's not even that much editing anyway.

Not true. Not only are the majority of dubs uncut, but the Japanese frequently edit manga (sometimes greatly) when they animate it...
@ Ryuujin: Are you too sure about that? You might want to have evidence to back up your theory like I found some for mine.

Last edited by Yazakura; 2006-08-16 at 16:22.
Yazakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 16:19   Link #125
Yogi

Here's a list of videos directly comparing the two dubs. Don't take anyone's word for it and see for yourself.
Yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 17:07   Link #126
Slayerx

Quote:
Am I the only one here who thinks the Naruto dub cast sucked and should've been band from the role? Sasuke's and Hinata's voices were the only ones they did a decent job on in my opinion...and Naruto wasn't intended for freakin' ten year olds! Why edit out all the good stuff for the brats watching CN, and not air it on Adult Swim unedited with a decent dub?

Your thoughts are...???
Why do you think Naruto stars characters at the young age of 12 as opposed to something more like 17 or 18? Because it WAS meant for kids aswell... the target audience was meant to include going as low as around 10 years old, safe to say, for the most part they targeted kids to younger teens, as opposed to older teens and young adult... But ofcourse, just because it was intedned for a younger audience doesn't mean it wouldn't end up appealing to an older audience aswell... the "brats" that watch toonami fit perfectly into the target audience...

and it is a decent dub...

Quote:
@ Ryuujin: Are you too sure about that? You might want to have evidence to back up your theory like I found some for mine.
The editing in naruto is still rather light... so far it just a few things like excessive blood (not all blood) and few things that some poeple tend to get overly sensitive about... the nosebleed scenes don't work aswell without the extra blood, but for the rest, the loss of the extra blood doesn't really take much away... American TV has different standards when it comes to such things, such as more limits on sex and violence, and aiming to not offend anyone... all in all, the edits don''t take much away
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 18:01   Link #127
Jaiven

i cant bear to imagine how much the itachi vs kakashi fight is going to be edited
Old 2006-08-16, 19:49   Link #128
Zek
Eyebrows...

Quote:
What you've got there is evidence that supports his point. Naruto is aimed at preteens in both Japan and the U.S. What differs is the TV standards, i.e. the U.S. is more sensitive about what it shows to preteens than Japan is. That's the reason for the censorship. Naruto is absolutely a kid's show in Japan - if you don't believe me, watch a couple filler episodes.
Zek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 20:45   Link #129
gencbiba

To be frank, America is trying to raise little sissies..... I see it all the time when I watch T.V. The material is heavily edited and really made out to be for little kids and it annoys me. That is the reason I stopped watching T.V.

Captain Tsubasa and Dai no Daibouken are being translated!! Check us out at http://www.hiei-tf.fr/frenchies-subs/. Stop on by and show us some love at the forums.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 21:01   Link #130
Zek
Eyebrows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencbiba
To be frank, America is trying to raise little sissies..... I see it all the time when I watch T.V. The material is heavily edited and really made out to be for little kids and it annoys me. That is the reason I stopped watching T.V.
Again, the material on Cartoon Network is for little kids, excluding Adult Swim. Also, you make it sound as if you were brought up in a different environment, but our culture's attitude towards sex and violence on TV has only gotten more lax over the years. Kids get exposed to this stuff at a younger age than ever if anything.
Zek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 23:46   Link #131
ragweed
woah woah!

Quote:

Spoiler:

GODS NOOOOOO !!! THE HORROR THE HORROR

Somehow, I can't bring myself to care about such small editing.

Last edited by ragweed; 2006-08-17 at 00:01.
ragweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 16:15   Link #132
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

Which one's the worst? The UK'S or US'S? You decide! XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGNJj8Rnv6k
Yazakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 16:23   Link #133
Slayerx

Quote:
Which one's the worst? The UK'S or US'S? You decide! XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGNJj8Rnv6k
ouch >.<, ya, now there's editing that you can complain about... seems like the uk doesn't have the cash to edit, and just leave big gaping blank spots... atleast our Naruto, the editing doesn't really take much away...
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 16:52   Link #134
RanBan
Likes cheese

What do we think about the English Naruto?

i think cartoonnetwork would get a LOT less grief if they would at least keep the origonal opening and ending themes!!!

what do you think?
RanBan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 16:56   Link #135
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanBan View Post
i think cartoonnetwork would get a LOT less grief if they would at least keep the origonal opening and ending themes!!!

what do you think?
absolutely! believe it! ibtl?
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 17:27   Link #136
Xelsol

When CN first picked up Naruto, I dreaded what the outcome would be, especially since I found out it would be played in the Toonami block. After watching the first couple episodes, I found Naruto's voice extremely annoying... but one or two episodes would not be enough for me to judge the dubbed version.

Watching it up until now, I can honestly say, It's really not bad at all. Sure there is alot of blood edited out, but that is to be expected when played in a timeframe with most of the audience being around 10-16 years old, or so.

I got curious on just how much they actually edit, so I found a website that compares the American version to the original Japanese version. I gotta say, Viz is working hard on not only making it acceptible for young American, but also making up for lazy Japanese animators' mistakes. You may have noticed in the original Naruto anime, the faces and bodies of characters are sometimes poorly drawn and have little resemblance to what they should look like. Viz goes so far as to have these characters redrawn to make them look like they should. Sometimes the animation in some scenes doesn't look right, so they reanimate those scenes. Even trees that look like blurry green blobs in the original are redrawn with more detail.

Now even Naruto's raspy voice doesn't get on my nerves anymore, I have gotten used to the difference, and actually prefer it over the high pitched, immature sounding Japanese voice. I don't really care about OPs and EDs much anyways, but it was a bad idea to have spoilers in the OP.

I am not disappointed at all in the dubbed version. Kudos to Viz, and thank god 4kids didn't get a hold of it.
Xelsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 18:00   Link #137
Masj
saiko denwa o narimashita

I have heard the English dub just a few times ... but in my hears it sounds horrible... not the worst dub i heard "that's a Swedish one ;P" but not good in any means..

but I would love to see if you got a page that can show the differences in the Japanese and the American version
Masj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 18:12   Link #138
Xelsol

I'll see if I can find that page again.

Edit- Here it is: http://anime-editz.net/
Xelsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 21:03   Link #139
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

The people who dubbed ( VC) it and Excutives of CN for airing a second rate production must be made to stand in line and executed . Executed slowly and painfully I might add . That way true Otaku Justice will be executed
Old 2006-10-30, 21:11   Link #140
Luminion Lancer
Time-diver

-The only thing I cannot still bring myself to get used to is Naruto's "Believe it" catchphrase. Other than that Viz is doing a good job on keeping the anime true to it's origins. In fact I recently heard Jiraiya's English dub voice and I gotta say it's an almost exact replica of the Japanese voice actor, 'cept the former's voice sounds "younger"...