AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-27, 22:10   Link #81
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

OP2? Personally I preferred that one.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 22:31   Link #82
Dr. Casey

Oh, there was a second one? I tried watching Saki once, but got distracted and forgot about it around the third episode or so. >_> I think that I'll go try for a rewatch now, though - I've been meaning to for a while because Triple's Saki review makes it sound like a pretty damn good show (And the review itself is hilarious Tacos in particular looks like a fun character.)
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 16:14   Link #83
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Tacos in particular looks like a fun character.
Naw, she's one whom I'd enjoy beating up.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-09, 03:09   Link #84
Dr. Casey

Just finished watching Saki today. I have to thank Triple for the review, it was a very fun show. I think there might have been a bit too much focus on Mahjohg sometimes, though... it's kind of like the anti-K-On. Some more breathing room to focus on things outside matches would have been nice. Though part of that feeling stems from the fact that Mahjong games are pretty much a foreign language, of course... but yeah, looking forward to season 2. I wonder what the story behind Saki and her sister is... the glazed over look whenever the subject of her sister arose was interesting, a lot more dramatic than what the rest of the series tended to offer. I want to know what about their relationship together is so traumatic.

Very dumb move on Mihoko's part, though, to mention the hurtful response Saki's sister gave to an interviewer. "Your older sister is Teru? Huh, that's weird. An interviewer asked her about your relationship earlier and she bitterly replied that she had no sister. It's almost like she doesn't like you or something, isn't it?" I mean... seriously? Common sense much? I guess the old blonde stereotype is true.

Can't agree with Kyuu on this though, Yuuki's awesome.

"The cursed blood of the taco lover runs through your veins as well?"
"Nado-chan's hiding tiles in her boobs!"
"*insert pretty much everything she ever says during episode 24 while Saki and Nadoka are trying to get her to study*"

My favorite character is Nadoka, personally, but Yuuki's up there. I hope Kyoutaro will have more of a role in the second season. I know that he's treated as subhuman because he's a guy and anime fans mostly care only about cute girls, but still.

Also I liked the way that the endings alternated between episodes. The dark and moody one was my favorite easily, but I liked the other two also.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-09, 23:40   Link #85
King-Slayer

He will get some scenes because they are some in the manga but other than that the animators should make him as obscure as possible like Ritz does.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-09, 23:46   Link #86
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Just finished watching Saki today. I have to thank Triple for the review, it was a very fun show. I think there might have been a bit too much focus on Mahjohg sometimes, though...
Glad you liked the review, and even more glad it helped lead you into watching an anime that you ended up liking.

Yeah, the team tournament arc was pretty intense, and perhaps could have used a "breather episode" or two interspersed in there, but I can see how that would have been difficult to squeeze in given the format of the tournament.

K-On and Saki are both moe in similar ways, but storywise, the two couldn't be any more different. Saki is the anti-K-On that way. It takes its mahjong very seriously, much more seriously than K-On takes its music, imo.
Old 2011-08-10, 00:07   Link #87
Proto

Someone has not watched Akagi

Couldn't take the Mahjong in Saki seriously at all after that.
Old 2011-08-10, 00:12   Link #88
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post

Honestly, I didn't watch Saki for the mahjong.

I watched it for the moe and heavily implied yuri.

I was actually pleasantly surprised that the mahjong was as suspenseful and fun as it was.

Obviously, Saki takes a fantastical approach to the mahjong... my guess is that Saki is to mahjong what pro wrestling is to amateur wrestling.

Still, it did take the competitive aspects of its anime very seriously. I don't see how anybody can deny that.
Old 2011-08-10, 00:15   Link #89
Proto

I was watching it for the mahjong (which makes me really sad since in later chapters it'd appear the matches transform into a pon/chi/ron/tsumo fest. )

The characters interactions are not bad though. But as a fan of sports series it's nothing to write home about. I still follow the manga but it's more because I'm waiting to see when the author is finally going to sit down and write something more detailed.
Old 2011-08-10, 05:57   Link #90
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Watched it, still enjoyed Saki's take on it. Not that I didn't like Akagi, I loved it, too bad we'll likely never get a second season.
Old 2011-08-10, 06:11   Link #91
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Watched it, still enjoyed Saki's take on it. Not that I didn't like Akagi, I loved it, too bad we'll likely never get a second season.
They're more or less focused on Kaiji anyways.
Old 2011-08-10, 06:22   Link #92
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

As strange as it sounds, I actually watched Saki for the game . Not in a same sense as people watch Akagi, though.
Old 2011-08-13, 15:14   Link #93
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

I have to admit after starting to learn how to play mahjong, Saki and Akagi both were pretty helpful in terms of gaming tips. Both series seem to have some spectator around who doesn't recognize a strategy, and then someone wise explains it to the audience.

Another commonality between the two shows is that there is always a player who breaks statistics in terms of luck. The main difference is that Akagi makes that power out to be badass, and that Saki depicts it as magical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
They're more or less focused on Kaiji anyways.
Don't forget that Kaiji has mahjong in its third arc too, for what that's worth.
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-27, 23:13   Link #94
Kyuu
=^^=

Anyways, for Saki season 2 - gimme 24-26 episodes - starting in the spring season, onward into the summer.
Old 2011-08-28, 06:24   Link #95
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Anyways, for Saki season 2 - gimme 24-26 episodes - starting in the spring season, onward into the summer.
2 cours is too much. Even one cour will be tough to make, unless they make it like Seikon no Qwaser II with the second half being fillers after fillers.

Kobayashi-sensei's running out of ideas regarding the actual mahjong, it seems. Not much unique tricks and plays since the Tacos/Jindai match. Even the latest chapter is only 8 pages, and that's to start the flashback of one of the teams.

And the new Achika side story, with a freaking 88 pages in the first chapter, has little to none mahjong at all.

I'm not harbouring much hope.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-03, 05:40   Link #96
Triple_R
*Author

Funny pic I recently came across.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought of this mash-up.

Spoiler for Puella Magi Nodoka Magica ;):

If this doesn't work. Click on this link here.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-09-03 at 12:05.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-03, 18:24   Link #97
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
lol boobs.

I'm sorry, that's all i could really thnk of; didn't even notice Sayaki, err Saki was in the background.

But shouldn't Saki be Homura, or maybe Saki as Madoka and Nodoka as Homura?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 20:53   Link #98
gsilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Honestly, I didn't watch Saki for the mahjong.

I watched it for the moe and heavily implied yuri.
That's the same reason we're watching Akagi/Kaiji...
But swap out yuri for something a little more male-centric.
Old 2011-09-05, 11:23   Link #99
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Quote:

I REALLLLLLLLLY don't think you were supposed to. Like.. at all. Were the lightning effects and geass-eye not enough of a clue?
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-05, 22:21   Link #100
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
I REALLLLLLLLLY don't think you were supposed to. Like.. at all. Were the lightning effects and geass-eye not enough of a clue?
Saki. Serious? LoL.

To think, Saki is actually much much more entertaining when y'actually know how to play. Why? The hands produced in the series are so ridiculously improbable -- you actually have a better chance of being hit by lightning or winning the lottery. Yet, it would be soooo sweet to actually generate those hands.

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri