Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-05-22, 08:01   Link #1
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Searching for very specific anime (spoilers)

Note that this thread contains lots of spoilers. There are lots of criteria for the anime I'm looking for which can't all be satisfied, but I would be grateful if someone can offer a few that come close.

I'm looking for an anime with a love triangle (or harem) with a main relationship established. The guy in the main relationship has to be unfaithful. The main girl goes through depression, angst, and emotional trauma. She then becomes unstable and commits violent feats to others, either real or fantasy. There would be a suicide or attempted suicide scene. The other girl must have some background in the story with events dedicated to her. The anime may end with them getting back together or not, it doesn't matter.

Spoiler for Explanations of criteria and examples:

The above spoiler contains major plot spoilers for the following anime: Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo, Clannad, ef - a tale of memories, Vampire Knight, School Days, Perfect Blue, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Gunslinger Girl, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Saishuu Heiki Kanojo, and Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai.

I would appreciate any suggestions!

(No I'm not a serial murderer.)

Last edited by KholdStare; 2014-05-22 at 20:00.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 08:17   Link #2
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Huh... that's... hard to fill.

Mirai Nikki has all but (f) and is rather weak on (a).

Mawaru Penguindrum has all of the elements, but it's because the initial pairings are wrong, so it's not the main male lead that rejects the main female lead.

Oh!

Neon Genesis Evangelion w/ End of Evangelion.

Of course the romance isn't the focus, but that is pretty much exactly what happened.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 10:05   Link #3
jdennis007

Have you tried Shuffle, it fits most of your criteria.
Old 2014-05-22, 13:01   Link #4
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
The Book Girl film doesn't fit everything you're looking for, but I think it might give you something reasonably close to what you want. You can read a plot synopsis of it here.

Kimi no iro Machi after its final timeskip is somewhat close to what you're looking for. You could just watch it from the first post-final timeskip episode on to get something fairly close to what you're looking for. Alas, I forget which episode that is.

It's kind of strange there doesn't appear to be more anime like this. It seems like the perfect sort of story for a Mari Okada to write.
Old 2014-05-22, 13:30   Link #5
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It's kind of strange there doesn't appear to be more anime like this. It seems like the perfect sort of story for a Mari Okada to write.
I was actually going to recommend True Tears since I thought it came somewhat close to his criteria but just less severe...

Bungaku Shoujo is about the closest I can think of though.

Otherwise, this might help:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...nedIntoSuicide
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 13:45   Link #6
Triple_R
*Author

^^ You're right. True Tears fits what he's looking for pretty well. I guess Okada did write something like this.
Old 2014-05-22, 16:55   Link #7
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Seconding Book Girl it is definitely the closest anime to what you're looking for that I can think of. Also seconding Mawaru Penguindrum it covers a fair bit of this too.

White Album 2 should qualify for what you're looking for as well.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 17:54   Link #8
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far. Here's my status on the anime mentioned:

True Tears: I've watched this, although I don't remember...any violent acts or suicide... Maybe it's been a long time and I have to review it.

I have never watched Book Girl, Mawaru Penguindrum, or Mirai Nikki. I knew there were some anime that I skipped over entirely!

I've watched the original Neon Genesis Evangelion but not End of Evangelion or any of the other movies/OVAs after the main series. The main series wasn't focused on romance, but I'm hoping the sequels (is that what they are?) do.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 18:08   Link #9
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far. Here's my status on the anime mentioned:

True Tears: I've watched this, although I don't remember...any violent acts or suicide... Maybe it's been a long time and I have to review it.

Spoiler for Minor True Tears spoiler:
Old 2014-05-22, 19:59   Link #10
wontaek

I think 2 anime worth investigating may be

The legendary Glass mask

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1974/Gl...men_%282005%29

and Rose of Versailles

http://myanimelist.net/anime/338/Rose_of_Versailles
Old 2014-05-22, 20:41   Link #11
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
The strangest thing for me is that there are actually some pretty close answers to the super specific question the OP asked to begin with.

Bugaku Shoujo is a good recommendation imo. Definitely give a try. ^^
Old 2014-05-23, 00:51   Link #12
Dawnstorm

Hm, if you put all the elements you have in your original post into a mixer and give it a good twirl, something very much like Myself; Yourself comes out. It has pretty much all the elements you state, but none of them are lined up the way you want them to be.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 14:17   Link #13
Xarvi

School Days.This is the closest one.
But now that I love you, I am afraid to lose you...

Last edited by Flower; 2014-05-25 at 02:33. Reason: Yeesh. We get it already....
Xarvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 19:30   Link #14
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I've watched the original Neon Genesis Evangelion but not End of Evangelion or any of the other movies/OVAs after the main series. The main series wasn't focused on romance, but I'm hoping the sequels (is that what they are?) do.
Not really. Although End of Evangelion does give completion to the romantic subtext between Asuka and Shinji.

If you haven't watch End then I strongly suggest you do.

Spoiler for Detailed analysis of the Jungian aspects of Shinji and Asuka's romance. Extenstive spoilers for both the show and End of Evangelian.:

Rebuild is... confusing.

There are a lot of arguments as to what it is. Officially it is presented as a retelling of the story. Thus Rebuild 1 pretty closely follows the original 6 episodes, although there are some differences that seemed to imply we were going somewhere else. Rebuild 2 was following along with the rest of the show, if reworked and narrowed in focus to fit the movie format, when suddenly we went off the rails into a completely new story. Rebuild 3 was... Gainax. Pure Gainax crack. I don't think anyone knows what to think. Some people have pointed out hints in Rebuild 1 and 2 that strongly suggest this is a sequel instead of a remake.

Spoiler for My theory: Spoilers for Rebuild 1, 2, and 3:

Whether to watch or not... eh, I think they are rather messy and confusing. Much more so then the original series. I also feel the story flow isn't too good, supporting characters are hardly developed, and there are a lot of good starts of character development for the main cast that then go nowhere. The animation is incredible though.

Sum-up: It's in the same category as the Star Wars prequels in my book.

Spoiler for Detailed review of Rebuild: Spoilers for Rebuild 1 and 2:

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-26, 08:57   Link #15
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Kokoro Connect fits your criteria very loosely. There's a love triangle with a somewhat-established pairing, an uncommitted guy (arguably two uncommitted guys in two separate pairings), three distressed girls that use mild violence, and a scene that resembles suicide.

However, the show is heavy on drama with romance taking a slight backseat. The criteria that you're looking for are mostly used as plot elements without necessarily impacting the themes of the show. Also, the suicide scene isn't really a major focus either, and may not fit the classic convention of a suicide.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote