Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2008-04-08, 19:12   Link #21
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
Well it indeed makes me question where they're getting all these funds from, to be able to work on so many ambitious projects, this year
And on Eureka Seven of all things? I guess despite the horrible TV ratings (given that shitty timeslot) the DVDs did okay enough for them to warrant a movie release? Note it's a movie when they could've easily made it an OVA.
Or maybe it was money from foreign licensing and airing.

Or maybe it's money mostly from elsewhere but they all love this show so damn much they had to do a movie. I dunno. I guess they must be hoping to get lots from Soul Eater and others to fund their original stuff.
Old 2008-04-08, 19:19   Link #22
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Or maybe it was money from foreign licensing and airing.
Bandai is milking the American DVD release like there's no tomorrow. Artboxes, special editions, soundtrack releases, t-shirts, mugs, the whole shebang.

It must be selling great, else I have no idea why anyone with only casual interest in anime would be able to sink so much cash in a single series. Myself, I am either waiting for the economy thinpack, or not buying Eureka Seven DVDs at all.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 19:40   Link #23
duckroll
綺羅星★!

There are various possible reasons why they finally got a E7 movie off the ground 2 years after the original series ended. None of this could possibly be related to "great sales" because I know for a fact that E7 is not selling great in the US. It didn't do great numbers in Japan either, averaging about 6-7k per volume.

It could be that Kyoda and Yoshida actually managed to sell a really solid concept to Bandai to convince them to greenlight this. It's also possible that BONES has several well connected producers that are willing to back them simply because they're impressive creatively. It's also possible that Kyoda spent the last 2 years begging on the streets after work every day just to save enough spare cash to fund it himself. :P

Either way, this is BONES' 10th anniversary and they're definitely giving it their all. Hopefully most if not all of their new properties are successful, otherwise we might see another year or two with really low output from BONES. I wonder how Sword of the Stranger will do in terms of sales, because it'll definitely have to make up for a lackluster box office performance. -_-
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 10:43   Link #24
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Some more details:

- Kyoda originally created a fan movie to express his ideas after E7 ended
- The movie will not be a re-edit or a retelling of the TV series story in movie form, because 2 hours isn't enough to capture a year long series, it will be a different idea
- In a time of crisis, humanity cries out for a new myth, and in this situation the small love story of Renton and Eureka is told; this is the essence of the E7 movie
- Muraki is not just the special effects director, but he will be dishing out storyboards for action sequences that will definitely satisfy fans

Old 2008-04-09, 11:14   Link #25
aardvark

Since duck forgot to mention it, Renton and Eureka are meant to be 5 years old in the picture.

Who knows whether or not they will be like that for the entirety of the movie
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 14:54   Link #26
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

I certainly hope not. It's bad enough that 12 year old kids are saving the world. Now 5 year old kids can as well

- Muraki is not just the special effects director, but he will be dishing out storyboards for action sequences that will definitely satisfy fans
^Oh my
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 15:16   Link #27
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Why would they cut their ages by more than half for the movie....
Old 2008-04-09, 16:17   Link #28
cry
Berry Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
Kenichi Yoshida

one of my favourite characters designers, i simply LOVE him.
Old 2008-04-09, 20:57   Link #29
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Either way, this is BONES' 10th anniversary and they're definitely giving it their all. Hopefully most if not all of their new properties are successful, otherwise we might see another year or two with really low output from BONES. I wonder how Sword of the Stranger will do in terms of sales, because it'll definitely have to make up for a lackluster box office performance. -_-
Personally, I see Soul Eater as a potential big hit. Those Japanese have some crazy tastes from time to time, though.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 23:28   Link #30
wao
OK.

The world is sometimes interesting, like how Madhouse manages to churn out utter shit sometimes and then go support fantastic people like Yuasa and co.

Behind Bones' output of creator-based original works (that I am sure the staff feel very passionate about), they have to do the money-makers now and then I guess. This time it's Soul Eater...
Perhaps they are still making money from FMA, Ouran and such popular properties despite being just an animation studio?

I probably am misunderstanding a lot since I don't know what it's like behind the scenes, but it seems kinda inspiring to see them continue supporting original works (and doing them so much better than the average studio) even if they don't hit off so well (even I personally haven't enjoyed them that much)
If it keeps the staff together and builds up goodwill between everyone, helping everyone mature and improve by bouncing ideas off each other and working on new things rather than adaptations... then in a way, it's a pretty good investment in itself too, isn't it?

Again, I'm just talking entirely out of my ass here, but I'm imagining that Bones sees it is more important to retain its talent and the character of its studio by allowing them to do this sort of stuff, even at the expense of not selling that well. In this way, when they really need the talent for big projects that help support the studio and its original works, they can get them too... So in the long term it helps their image as well, I suppose.

This is all considering where Bones came from in the first place - surely it's safe to assume that they don't want to end up like the company that they broke off from, and know what to do to keep the right people inside.

But I still don't understand why this has to be a movie and not an OVA.
Old 2008-04-10, 05:43   Link #31
duckroll
綺羅星★!

There's a news bite on BONES' site, it's.... pretty interesting to say the least:

http://www.bones.co.jp/news/index.html

Basically, BONES is producing the E7 movie using an animation studio called Kinemashitorasu (Cinema Citrus?), and they are now opening contract positions for a few production process staff. The employment is contract based but with a possibility for fulltime employment.

What does this mean? It basically means BONES is establishing a seperate studio at a different location just to house the produciton of the E7 movie. This is not unheard of, but pretty uncommon. It is probably similar to how Anno established Khara to make the Eva movies, but in this case it looks like BONES is directly involved, and it's not just Kyoda.

For a property like E7, why would they go to such lengths to do this? Who knows, but it's pretty clear that BONES is very serious about this upcoming movie, along with their other works this year. Hopefully whoever is financially backing all these productions is kept happy in the process.
Old 2008-04-10, 11:17   Link #32
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I honestly wasn't expecting that move. Looks like BONES really wants to get serious about their own original projects. I just hope they have enough financial resources to pull all these moves off. It's a huge bet, though. I'm intrigued.

As for the E7 movie, I still don't get it. If it's not a retelling... it's some sort of spin-off?
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 16:36   Link #33
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
I honestly wasn't expecting that move. Looks like BONES really wants to get serious about their own original projects. I just hope they have enough financial resources to pull all these moves off. It's a huge bet, though. I'm intrigued.

As for the E7 movie, I still don't get it. If it's not a retelling... it's some sort of spin-off?
...it's a retelling.
Old 2008-04-10, 19:19   Link #34
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
...it's a retelling.
Hmmmmmm.... says the guy that said the Gurren Lagann would be TOTALLY NEW!
Old 2008-04-10, 19:27   Link #35
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Hmmmmmm.... says the guy that said the Gurren Lagann would be TOTALLY NEW!
No, Gurren-Lagann is a retelling too. Retelling: same themes through a different script, which means something “TOTALLY NEW” in my eyes. I guess “remake “ would a better term, though.
Old 2008-04-10, 20:09   Link #36
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Don't confuse us with this banter, please!

So this is, basically, the Alternative World version? Same characters, same surroundings, different setting, different plot?

Quote:
What does this mean? It basically means BONES is establishing a seperate studio at a different location just to house the produciton of the E7 movie
Don't the BONES people already have several studios? I know that FMA was made on BONES Studio C, which implies there are also units A and B.

Or is it more like a completely different company, but under the one corporate heading, sort of like Production I.G has 3 studios inside of it, but then it also has XEBEC for different type of work?

I don't really understand the purpose here. Though, funny fact: BONES was formed when Sunrise spun off a separate animation unit to work on Bebop movie. Now BONES is spinning off a studio of its own to work on E7 movie on their 10th anniversary.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 01:04   Link #37
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
No, Gurren-Lagann is a retelling too. Retelling: same themes through a different script, which means something “TOTALLY NEW” in my eyes. I guess “remake “ would a better term, though.
No, it's a goddamn compilation movie, like RahXephon. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Don't confuse us with this banter, please!

So this is, basically, the Alternative World version? Same characters, same surroundings, different setting, different plot?
There are several theories right now, but it's very likely that Kyoda is trying for a unqiue angle that will make the movie both a new story about the same characters and still somehow tie it into the continuity.

Quote:
Don't the BONES people already have several studios? I know that FMA was made on BONES Studio C, which implies there are also units A and B.

Or is it more like a completely different company, but under the one corporate heading, sort of like Production I.G has 3 studios inside of it, but then it also has XEBEC for different type of work?

I don't really understand the purpose here. Though, funny fact: BONES was formed when Sunrise spun off a separate animation unit to work on Bebop movie. Now BONES is spinning off a studio of its own to work on E7 movie on their 10th anniversary.
BONES has A Studio, B Studio and C Studio within BONES. This is a completely different company located a few minutes away from BONES' actual location. Think of it as Studio Khara and Gainax.
Old 2008-04-11, 08:59   Link #38
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
There are several theories right now, but it's very likely that Kyoda is trying for a unqiue angle that will make the movie both a new story about the same characters and still somehow tie it into the continuity.
I think it's going to be something completely different and unrelated to Eureka Seven that only uses Renton's and Eureka's designs for the main characters. Just like Escaflowne’s movie.
Old 2008-04-11, 09:04   Link #39
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
I think it's going to be something completely different and unrelated to Eureka Seven that only uses Renton's and Eureka's designs for the main characters. Just like Escaflowne’s movie.
You also thought they were going to use GL's charcaters and animate a brand new movie! Instead they're just using the same footage and going "Lolololz, that 7th is such a silly fanboy!". GET READY! SEPT 2008!
Old 2008-04-11, 09:24   Link #40
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
You also thought they were going to use GL's charcaters and animate a brand new movie! Instead they're just using the same footage and going "Lolololz, that 7th is such a silly fanboy!". GET READY! SEPT 2008!
But that's basically what they've said so far! An all new story that has nothing to do with Eureka Seven other than the themes, name and character designs!