AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-30, 11:11   Link #301
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
And as a counterpoint, so did the others by not stopping her. If it weren't for Grace, it would either have been asphyxiation or asphyxiation either way.
Good enough, I guess.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 11:15   Link #302
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Will have more to comment on in a day or two, but since I've been trying to figure out what these few terms were...
Quote:
07:18 – Wow, calling Sheryl a slut is uncalled for.
Since he was referring to her dress sense (露出魔/roshutsuma, if anyone wants to know what to call someone who shows a lot of skin), perhaps "tramp", "skank" or bimbo would be better? Given the flow of the insults and her reaction, "slut" seems appropriate enough...

Also finally figured out what episode 1's "bitch" was: 小悪魔/koakuma, or "little devil".

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 11:22   Link #303
magnuskn

Well, "slut" or "bitch" seemed to be the most commonly used translations in either English or Spanish.
Old 2010-10-30, 11:54   Link #304
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Will have more to comment on in a day or two, but since I've been trying to figure out what these few terms were...
Since he was referring to her dress sense (露出魔/roshutsuma, if anyone wants to know what to call someone who shows a lot of skin), perhaps "tramp", "skank" or bimbo would be better? Given the flow of the insults and her reaction, "slut" seems appropriate enough...

Also finally figured out what episode 1's "bitch" was: 小悪魔/koakuma, or "little devil".
He was basically calling here a "flasher" or "exhibitionist".
Old 2010-10-30, 15:16   Link #305
Dop
Mmmm....

Ranka's song was really nice. I wonder if we'll ever hear it again?

Given what the Vajra did to Guilliam, I'm surprised there was that much left to recycle.

Mmmm tuna buns. Way to defuse the situation!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 21:48   Link #306
Solecs

Quote:
22:17 – And Sheryl continues to show her nice side. I wonder how many people changed their mind at this point about her.
I'm one of those people. I think this is the episode that my opinions of Sheryl and Ranka switched. I get why Ranka was the way she was this episode, but it was a bit grating to me. It's hard for me to empathize with her, I guess.

The only real complaint I have this episode is that Michael didn't feel very consistent to me. That part in the elevator in particular didn't fit his character for me. I guess if he was trying to scare Alto off or something, but it just seemed out of character.

Otherwise, solid episode. Good pacing and character development and a bit of foreshadowing for the future. Also no cliffhanger for a change.
Solecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 00:02   Link #307
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I remember really liking Aimo back when this episode aired (i still do like it ). The melody was classic Yoko Kanno, along with the classic Yoko Kanno gibberish language. Plus having it playing during Gilliam's funeral. Also i just noticed that
Spoiler for False Songstress:
I really like Aimo, too. It became my favorite NakaMegu song when I first heard it. (: I love, love, love the piano instrumental that plays before Ranka starts singing again. It's absolutely gorgeous~~

Ah! I didn't notice that before! I watched Itsuwari no Utahime raw, though, so I missed alot of dialogue that I didn't recognize from the series. "Orz

My subs (Shinsen) used "flasher," if that helps.

I remember not liking Sheryl very much until this episode when it was first released. I liked her music, but not her character. Her mini-speech about making her own way helped change my opinion, though. : )
Though she was very lucky that she didn't end up killing everyone when she was about ready to open the shelter door. ; )

|facebook.twitter|
Ceci-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 06:00   Link #308
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I just finished the movie and I'll be starting my rewatch tomorrow night. I'll catch up and follow you blokes through the rest. ;D

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 07:51   Link #309
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecs View Post
The only real complaint I have this episode is that Michael didn't feel very consistent to me. That part in the elevator in particular didn't fit his character for me. I guess if he was trying to scare Alto off or something, but it just seemed out of character.
Knowing what his character is like from already having seen this series, then it fits but yeah seeing him act that way right off the bat was a little forced. Thankfully that doesn't happen again, and his character development episode (which is one of my personal favorites of the series) isn't that far away either.
Old 2010-10-31, 17:25   Link #310
Lancel

Exhibitionist is the translation I normally see, and that one I think is the best one, also the most hilarious because it basically lampshades all of Sheryl's fanservice. It fits the scene better in my opinion, plus it's not as unduly harsh, annnnd he might have some evidence for exhibitionist given how her concerts are run. Slut not so much, since she really hasn't been seen smooching on anyone (unlike Alto's womanizing friend), nor do we ever hear juicy celebrity gossip on Sheryl Nome's latest fling.
Lancel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 01:34   Link #311
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆

I like the outfit Sheryl wears during Ranka's interview for Miss Macross. It's super cute! I wonder why it isn't cosplayed more often. :<

|facebook.twitter|
Ceci-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 04:44   Link #312
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceci-chan View Post
I like the outfit Sheryl wears during Ranka's interview for Miss Macross. It's super cute! I wonder why it isn't cosplayed more often. :<
Mainly because it's hidden behind all of Sheryl's much more flashier concert outfits. It's a shame.
Old 2010-11-01, 08:21   Link #313
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Plot devices abound! Ranka get's super vision to see her brother hurt in the cockpit! Agh!! They just so happen to enter the ship again in that same area too! Come on!

Luckily I <3 Sheryl, so the episode was still enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Not to mention she looks good in that hat.
She looks good in anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post

Skank would have been best if he was referring to her dress. "Slut" is defined more by behavior than dress.
Old 2010-11-01, 12:12   Link #314
moncikoma

Episode 4 "miss macross",

i just find out..cathy once was miss macross....>.<
acttually who is the miss macross today??

did sheryl also miss macross once?
moncikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 12:15   Link #315
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncikoma View Post
Episode 4 "miss macross",

i just find out..cathy once was miss macross....>.<
acttually who is the miss macross today??

did sheryl also miss macross once?
Whoa, pardner! We're still on episode 3.
Old 2010-11-01, 12:34   Link #316
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Plot devices abound! Ranka get's super vision to see her brother hurt in the cockpit! Agh!! They just so happen to enter the ship again in that same area too! Come on!

Luckily I <3 Sheryl, so the episode was still enjoyable.

She looks good in anything.

Skank would have been best if he was referring to her dress. "Slut" is defined more by behavior than dress.
Plus I don't think Alto is the type to call someone a "slut" or "bitch". He was definitely referring to her way of dressing.
Old 2010-11-01, 13:24   Link #317
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Whoa, pardner! We're still on episode 3.
Maybe he couldn't stop watching. I know the feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
Plus I don't think Alto is the type to call someone a "slut" or "bitch". He was definitely referring to her way of dressing.
This is why translation notes at the end of every episode or in the bonus menu if it was a BD/DVD would be great.
Old 2010-11-01, 18:23   Link #318
wisteria233

Now its episode three once again I find things I never noticed before.

First because of the focus of the second half of the episode I'm gonna start with my views on SMS and go from there

Alto
This is part of the reason why I don't believe that Ranka was really his reason for joining SMS. The reason is that when we see Alto walk around the city we (the audience) also get to see his reaction to the casualties from the attack in episode one, and he's actually affected the deaths of the people of Frontier as well Gilliam's death which is still fresh in his mind. However it seems as though Alto's kindness towards Ranka might be because he received knowledge of her past, in other words he seems more interested in what she represents than who she is. Its also really interesting how he and Sheryl share the same opinions on hard work, and not letting others make decisions for you. I also find it funny that Sheryl had to berate him for not catching on to Ranka's feelings.

Michael

Being Alto's closest friend he currently knows Alto better than anyone else in the series. And because of that he is one who declares bullshit in the elevator after Alto confronts Ozma in the hospital. He really wants the best for Alto and you can see from this episode.

Luca
Is a horrible pilot

Gilliam
R.I.P man, its only now that I realize how important you were to Alto's character.

Leon
Seems a bit like Grace in his ability to be precise. He actually reacts to seeing Ranka's picture in this episode, hmm... Didn't notice that before.

Ozma

Sees the death flags in the horizon, also he seems to butter right up to Alto after Alto basically says that he joined SMS because of Ranka, hmm... another thing I never noticed before.

Grace
Seems like a nice person, whose hiding something.

Sheryl
Less of a bitch, in fact in this episode it kinda goes into why she acts like she's on such a high horse. She comes across as the kind of character that would rather die fighting, or would at least try to save her own life instead of sitting back and doing nothing, and I've gotta respect her for it. Also if she didn't act they would have died of suffocation, because by the time that Sheryl did open the hatch it was safe to be outside again, so even Grace and Cathy didn't show they'd be alright, and when you stop to think about it whenever the glass on Frontier's roof breaks, it seems to fix itself after a little while.

Ranka
I just noticed it from re-watching episodes one-three again and Ranka didn't really react to Gilliam's death even though she was there, and even after Alto tells Ranka that the pilot who died is really the person that she should be thanking, she never bothers to find out from Ozma who Gilliam was, and instead tries to find out who the pilot who is as "pretty as a princess" was. There is also the fact that she basically saw the same things Alto did that day and yet she doesn't seem affected by it (unlike Alto). However, once she saw her Ozma injured she reacted, but when it was other people in trouble she doesn't react. Its a discerning thing to notice.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 18:56   Link #319
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
Leon
Seems a bit like Grace in his ability to be precise. He actually reacts to seeing Ranka's picture in this episode, hmm... Didn't notice that before.
And he knows what "buttons" to push too.

Poor Ozma...I'd feel bad for him but he was at fault as well. I don't know how Cathy could sink so low though.
Old 2010-11-01, 19:36   Link #320
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
Ranka
I just noticed it from re-watching episodes one-three again and Ranka didn't really react to Gilliam's death even though she was there, and even after Alto tells Ranka that the pilot who died is really the person that she should be thanking, she never bothers to find out from Ozma who Gilliam was, and instead tries to find out who the pilot who is as "pretty as a princess" was. There is also the fact that she basically saw the same things Alto did that day and yet she doesn't seem affected by it (unlike Alto). However, once she saw her Ozma injured she reacted, but when it was other people in trouble she doesn't react. Its a discerning thing to notice.
Yeah, it's rather interesting to see how early there were warning signs about her self-involvement. I must admit, though, that I never gave Gilliam much thought, either, until the re-watch.

And I completely agree about Gilliams importance for Alto.

Tags
macross frontier, re-watch