AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-02-11, 06:53   Link #1221
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
They're fixing the UI. Thank you BioWare.

In Patch 1.1.4, they're adding the ability to customise the look of cooldowns. And even better, you can add cooldown text to the icons a la OmniCC.

In Patch 1.2, they're adding in target of target unit frames and UI customisations such as scaling and element movement.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 19:46   Link #1222
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

While bugs exist, its not as bad as I used to be. I suppose if SWTOR can hang on to its 1M players, the next expac will be

Back on my Trooper. I find that I simply cannot play any other class. Either too squishy, or not ranged. Spoke like a true huntard.
Old 2012-02-19, 21:35   Link #1223
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Okay, so, seeking opinions...

It's been a month and I am considering buying some of the Collector's Edition extras on eBay.

Soundtrack - Worth it? Like, is it just a bunch of :30-:40 second clips or are they longer, drawn out, orchestrated pieces like you expect out of Star Wars music?
Here, let me help...

VGMdb entry: SWTOR Collector's Edition Soundtrack

I apologize for the delay; you can blame it in part on Kingdoms of Amalur...
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-20, 11:16   Link #1224
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Uh... I think heads are starting to roll for the flop (money loss wise) that was this game... Drew Karpyshyn is leaving Bioware http://gamerant.com/mass-effect-koto...-brian-134075/ (no offense fans, just stating the exuberant cost of the game vs how little money it made (estimated 350 mil to 550 mil cost to develop this game, vs the high unsubscribe rate and not as big of a launch as expected by many, etc...))

Yeah, the article says something else "leaving to work on his books" but lets face it due to the timing and his lack of work on Mass Effect 3 (I mean wow, not being allowed to write another Mass Effect book (the latest one was written by William C. Dietz named Deception is god awful, I wasted my money buying it and ended up wishing Drew Karpyshyn had written it even after how much I hated the book Revan)). I can only conclude that there is more to this story than we are being told, since it sounds like any "retirement" announcement we get from a politician after they've had a scandal.

I honestly, was not a fan of most of the plot of TOR and was greatly disappointed with it but I honestly don't know how much Drew Karpyshyn was responsible for it's direction only that he was involved with much of it. So I'm not sure his leaving the company is justified but then again if he was responsible for a lot of it I can see why they may have fired him (or at least forced him out) after his plot cost the company that much money (or at least contributed to it).

I think his book Revan likely made him an easy target since so many fans of Kotor 1 and 2 took their frustration of all there fav characters being killed off, never mentioned, and/or "changed" out on the book... if you rad the comments on the books Amazon page it is just filled with countless bad ratings: 5 star: (37); 4 star: (27); 3 star: (26); 2 star: (38); 1 star: (35)... worse only the bad writings have huge number of this write up was helpful marks. Also quite a few of the 1 and 2 star reviews are essays, when the 5 star comments are quite clearly in many cases paid for comments or friends/family of the author... that are just a sentence or two that just say Drew is awesome or something to that effect. Oh, for those of you that didn't know amazon gives rewards (free stuff) to there top 1,000 commenters (they've surveyed these people and they say it's become an addiction to comment to earn more free stuff) and worse many companies selling stuff on amazon pay people to write good reviews for there products in the forms of x money per star rating.

For a listed history of his works on games and books... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Karpyshyn

I was a huge fan of his since KotOR and Mass Effect... and all his books (minus Revan) rocked, especially for video game books. However everything he did with TOR flet like watching the Star Wars prequels after watching several things he did as epic as Empire Strikes Back. Drew was my second favorite Star Wars author (after Timothy Zann) due to the Darth Bane novels until the book Revan, now I honestly don't know what to think of him as a Star Wars author.

I even meet him once at a book store (it wasn't a signing of his but he was randomly stopping by to sign his new book Darth Bane: Path of Destruction). I got to talking to him for quite a bit about KotOR 1, I even told him I had saved at every conversation option so I could replay any convo LS or DS whenever I wanted with any character, but ended up with so many saves I crashed my original xbox permanently. His eyes literally bugged out of his head and I had to explain I had just as many saves in Morrowind (which was getting tons of lag issues due to me doing crazy stuff in that game too, but was playing KotOR when the xbox died but it had never had any issues previously), so I never was sure which game caused the crash... but the end result was when Mass Effect came out the next year the game limited you to 10 saves per character. I've always feared I was responsible for that 10 save limit... ... sorry everyone that wasn't my intent, I even told him I was proud of it and it gave me an excuse to play the game all over again (which I did ). Now expecting tons of negs for the 10 save limit...

Anyways, from what I could tell from the 10 minutes I spoke to him (he had a flight to catch so we couldn't talk long) he was a very nice guy (funny too) and was a good developer/writer/employee of Bioware since he kept trying to redirect the convo to things he could use to help further games carry on what was good with his previous game and what could be done better next time. He then gave me a personalized autographed copy of the book telling me to join the dark side (which I still have)

Well, anyways (regardless of my speculation of the reason behind the retirement from the gaming industry and opinions of TOR) best of luck Drew in your new endeavors. I was a big fan of much (actually Most, not much) of your work, so I will give whatever you come out with next a read (and buy it).

Last edited by Ryus; 2012-02-20 at 11:46.
Ryus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-20, 15:43   Link #1225
Aqua Knight

That's pretty bad news. I too thought that Drew was awesome, though I will get my Revan novel copy in 2 days...

Also a question to people who play TOR, doesn't the game get boring after doing the main quest?
Old 2012-02-20, 17:46   Link #1226
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Knight View Post
Also a question to people who play TOR, doesn't the game get boring after doing the main quest?
Hm... Yeah, could be. After I went through the Sith Warrior Story and finished the Imperial Story afterwards I pretty much stopped playing my SW, only logging in to give some crafting orders and help out friends if they need it.

I now concentrate on my Imperial Agent, wich makes at least the class story part interessting as they are new to me, I also choose some different answeres with her for the "free for all" quests. Playing Empire for the second time is still quit nice.

I think if I grow bored I go and resume to play my Jedi Consular. Still haven't seen much of the Republic side of things.

Well, but that's just me and I can be pretty easily sadisfied. I'm sure people are bored pretty quickly if they concentrate on one character only. So I don't advise it.
But I like my SW... so I do hope they will give him some more story in the future, would be sad if it really was the end of line for him.
Old 2012-02-20, 17:56   Link #1227
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I think one should focus on 1 character first, then get the Legacy going, then start spamming alts. Should buy you enough time while waiting for the next expansion.
Old 2012-02-20, 21:37   Link #1228
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Well, this isn't the kind of news I'd hoped to hear.

I hope the game survives long enough for the initial price to come down so I can justify buying it and trying to cram the Trooper's story into one month of play.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-20, 23:34   Link #1229
Nixl

Actually it does not stop with the writer. 4 others have actually resigned as well.

Eric Brown, the guy who made the 1.7 mil subscribers statement, resigned.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/09/ea...tions-company/

In addition 3 other TOR devs have resigned to make an Indie RTS/RPG company. I'll have there names in just a sec.
http://kotaku.com/5886418/bioware-tr...rategyrpgthing

Arnie Jorgensen : swtor Lead Concept Artist. (they'll live)
John Watson : swtor Lead Combat Programmer. (big deal?)
Alex Thomas : swtor Senior Environment Artist. (they'll live)

edit: It may very well be a coincidence and TOR could be okay, but it is definitely bad timing all around. No one likes to see resignations of staff so close together even if it amounts to nothing. That and, leaving a project/game that is suppose to be wildly successful always leads to speculation of problems.

Last edited by Nixl; 2012-02-20 at 23:52.
Nixl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-21, 01:41   Link #1230
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Combat... Yeah. They'll live through that too. I like my proc-watching buttonspam MMO gameplay just fine. I'm serious!

Then again, probably why I love WoW so much, too.

EDIT:

Is this awesome or what?

Guess I'm joining you guys on Jung Ma soon. HO-AH!!
Old 2012-02-21, 04:07   Link #1231
Blaat

My guild cleared Karatta nightmare last night we had a melee only team really (all our ranged were healers) but it was still easily doable.
Old 2012-02-21, 08:11   Link #1232
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
Actually it does not stop with the writer. 4 others have actually resigned as well.

Eric Brown, the guy who made the 1.7 mil subscribers statement, resigned.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/09/ea...tions-company/

In addition 3 other TOR devs have resigned to make an Indie RTS/RPG company. I'll have there names in just a sec.
http://kotaku.com/5886418/bioware-tr...rategyrpgthing

Arnie Jorgensen : swtor Lead Concept Artist. (they'll live)
John Watson : swtor Lead Combat Programmer. (big deal?)
Alex Thomas : swtor Senior Environment Artist. (they'll live)

edit: It may very well be a coincidence and TOR could be okay, but it is definitely bad timing all around. No one likes to see resignations of staff so close together even if it amounts to nothing. That and, leaving a project/game that is suppose to be wildly successful always leads to speculation of problems.
That many people who where in high level posistions leaving is suspicious and to me does imply some sort of house cleaning... you think these people would have stayed long enough to make expansion packs if they where leaving on good terms. All the articles are very vague about there future projects, which by itself isnt too odd but usually one or two would have had more info if this leaving wasnt something being rushed along.

As a fan of Kotor 1 & 2 a part of me wants this to lead to making all of TOR unoffical and Kotor 3 to repace them (no offense TOR fans but I didnt like TOR even after a month of trying all the characters, however kotor was one of my fav series ever and even after all this I want my direct sequel that doesnt follow the plot line of TOR), but I know Lucasarts will never let that happen since Lucas wants a straight timeline and no series not being cannon plus they wanted a new MMO and will likely now find the next successful Star Wars game series and convert the series into a MMO against fan wishes once TOR no longer earns them any more profit. I wonder if they'll try it with battlefront next... at least that series would make sense going full online multiplayer.
Old 2012-02-21, 10:49   Link #1233
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I think one should focus on 1 character first, then get the Legacy going, then start spamming alts. Should buy you enough time while waiting for the next expansion.
Just to clarify, if above was said to me, I pretty much mean the same thing.
Make one character, then start the next.
"concentrate on one character only" means, that they jsut have this one and no other even after they finished it.

@Ryus and Nixl
Definitly interesting, thanks for sharing this with us.
Old 2012-02-21, 13:04   Link #1234
Nixl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus View Post

As a fan of Kotor 1 & 2 a part of me wants this to lead to making all of TOR unoffical and Kotor 3 to repace them (no offense TOR fans but I didnt like TOR even after a month of trying all the characters, however kotor was one of my fav series ever and even after all this I want my direct sequel that doesnt follow the plot line of TOR), but I know Lucasarts will never let that happen since Lucas wants a straight timeline and no series not being cannon plus they wanted a new MMO and will likely now find the next successful Star Wars game series and convert the series into a MMO against fan wishes once TOR no longer earns them any more profit. I wonder if they'll try it with battlefront next... at least that series would make sense going full online multiplayer.
I agree, I would like to see parts of TOR declared non-canon by Bioware. The parts I speak of are of course Revan and the Exile's characterization and conclusion. I simply hated it (subjective lololol). Furthermore, the very characters that started the franchise are turned into a very small footnote of TOR as they are killed off early and with ease. I would be okay with Revan/Exile's death if what TOR offered story-wise was just as compelling, but I found absolutely nothing in TOR's story to love.

Ignoring my qualms with the writing for the moment, I simply think no matter what choice any company made that trying to translate an RPG into a MMO medium has inherent problems. I will make the assumption that any RPG fan would prefer an true dedicated RPG over an MMO with some RPG.

Simply put, I think Bioware should have kept Kotor and TOR separate. To be even more specific, they should have kept Revan/Exile and TOR separate. That separation would definitely pose its own problems, but I honestly do not see how it would be inherently worse than the current direction.
Old 2012-02-21, 13:43   Link #1235
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
The parts I speak of are of course Revan characterization and conclusion.
I did the Foundry on a higher level with only a friend of mine (so it was not 4 guys fighting him but only 2, but I think this is why I liked it somehow, as it was a lot more personal and my friend let me do all the talking because he knew I like Revan).
And to be honest, I don't believe Revan died. Like I don't believe the endboss of The False Emperor died. It's a little speech of Revan, a bright flash and a chest to loot. Show me his corps and I believe he is dead.

There is still potential to either redeem the character's story or make it worse ("Muhahahaha! The Foundry was only a setback!").
Old 2012-02-21, 14:07   Link #1236
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
I did the Foundry on a higher level with only a friend of mine (so it was not 4 guys fighting him but only 2, but I think this is why I liked it somehow, as it was a lot more personal and my friend let me do all the talking because he knew I like Revan).
And to be honest, I don't believe Revan died. Like I don't believe the endboss of The False Emperor died. It's a little speech of Revan, a bright flash and a chest to loot. Show me his corps and I believe he is dead.

There is still potential to either redeem the character's story or make it worse ("Muhahahaha! The Foundry was only a setback!").
That bright flash and [minor to epic] shock wave is cannon to Star Wars mythology of a true sith/dark side user dying (aka not one on the fence of light and dark but one fully committed to the dark side (with lots of power and Master level, and typically only those who meet violent ends... all these rules to it sound silly on paper )). It's been so ever since Return of the Jedi when the Emperor exploded after hitting the bottom of the shaft (so no he didn't hit something vital down there but force exploded from hitting durasteel (the name sounds silly outside of a star wars book )) that was in the room for no apparent reason other than for someone to fall down it. BTW George Lucas said this (it's the force that they where manipulating with the darkside leaving there body) not the authors who ran with it for many many books (Joruus C'baoth meets his end this way for example in the Timothy Zann Series Heir to the Empire (Best three Star Wars books ever btw) and Shaak Ti in The Force Unleashed video game).

So a sum up: Pure lightside have their bodies disappear Obi-wan style (with the exception of Mara Jade who didn't cause Ben (her son) had to see her corpse so he could investigate her death and discover for himself who killed her , she did disappear into the force during her funeral (days later) the moment her murder showed up pretending to be a good little jedi (hint hint son )), Pure Darkside users have a force explosion that typically leaves there body behind but not always (though there have been a few where fans wonder why X sith didn't explode and it's either cause they weren't true sith for X reason like seeing the light in the end (Darth Vader, Darth Malak, etc...), Had already destroyed there bodies as a result of a force power (Darth Bane), they didn't die when you thought they did (Darth Maul), where just too weak (any minion in TOR) or not master level in touch with the dark side (any most bosses in TOR where close but since they served masters and not themselves failed to meet the final quota), or they tried to survive death by haunting a spot thus left there bodies before force exploding (like Marka Ragnos or Exar Kun)), and anyone in between leaves a normal corpse.

So Revan truly is dead, but that isn't to say his spirit couldn't inhabit a new body as has been done before in Star Wars mythos (clone bodies with no consciousness in them are preferable). The Emperor (Darth Sidious) did that himself in the Graphic Novel series Dark Empire. (it was a good series though, so I don't know why I added the sarcastic mark other than it sounded stupid on paper )

Quote:
I agree, I would like to see parts of TOR declared non-canon by Bioware. The parts I speak of are of course Revan and the Exile's characterization and conclusion. I simply hated it (subjective lololol). Furthermore, the very characters that started the franchise are turned into a very small footnote of TOR as they are killed off early and with ease. I would be okay with Revan/Exile's death if what TOR offered story-wise was just as compelling, but I found absolutely nothing in TOR's story to love.

Ignoring my qualms with the writing for the moment, I simply think no matter what choice any company made that trying to translate an RPG into a MMO medium has inherent problems. I will make the assumption that any RPG fan would prefer an true dedicated RPG over an MMO with some RPG.

Simply put, I think Bioware should have kept Kotor and TOR separate. To be even more specific, they should have kept Revan/Exile and TOR separate. That separation would definitely pose its own problems, but I honestly do not see how it would be inherently worse than the current direction.
QFT!

Last edited by Ryus; 2012-02-21 at 14:30.
Ryus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-21, 15:54   Link #1237
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus View Post
*sorry to cut your text*
What you sum up is all that I already know about the death of powerful dark siders, I saw the movies, I read the Interviews and Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy, yet still with this knowledge, I was not convinced, this was no Dark Side Explosion like in the movies (the only one we actually saw), Even Joruus' death had a lot more force and destroyed part of the room they stood in, Mara Jade had to Force Pull Luke out of the explosion radius (Or was it the other way around? I only remember her killing Luuke but I forgot who killed Joruus).
Now I even rewatched a video of Revan's "demise" and it really could be everything. They easily could have made the PCs fall down during the explosion to show the force at work here. But no... they don't even flinch, it just like some kind of longer lasting flash.

Nothing against your arguments, they are good and show your knowledge of the matter at hand but sorry, still not convinced. Maybe I am just in denial and won't admit Revan is gone like this...
If he's not dead, BW will pull him out in the future. If he is dead... at least I had one epic duel with him in the end (The healing Mercenary in the background... he doesn't count, just ignore him! )
Old 2012-02-21, 18:14   Link #1238
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I always thought he just Force-teleported. I'm mean, he's over 400 years old, resisted tons of shit done to him... I doubt this was beyond him.
Old 2012-02-21, 18:41   Link #1239
Nixl

"Foundry was merely a setback!"

(I joke, but....Bioware may just do that if they need another boss later down the line.)

edit: Honestly, the fact they tried to transfer Revan to an MMO medium screams "bad idea" to me.

Furthermore, I do even believe it is even possible to characterize Revan without some disappointment. If you think about it, Revan's identity has been hyped through both Kotor games and additional material. In Kotor 1 he was the master who controlled the Starforge and brought the Jedi council to their knees. In Kotor 2, Kreia describes him as the heart of the force and a force user that ascended beyond mere terms of Sith and Jedi. If Kreia praises someone that much, you know they are virtually unstoppable. In other materials I believe they also reference Revan as creating a rule of two used by future Sith.

I feel that Reven was set up to be a very unique persona in the Star Wars Universe. In TOR, he is incompetent and I question whether the idiot could even open a jar of jam without cutting himself and needing mama Exile to give him a band aid and sing him a lullaby to sleep.

Personally, I wish Bioware had tried to model Revan off of what Kreia described instead of an action hero. Maybe not a walking god, but a Gray Jedi that intended to toughen up the Republic in order to prepare it for war. Oh well.

Edit 2: And then I thought, Bioware trying to write Gray Morality with the dialogue wheel choices. Nevermind, not going to happen.

Choice A: Kick the Cat into the Volcano of Doom. You are evil.
Choice B. Do not look at the cat, do not talk to the cat, do not acknowledge the cat. You sure showed them Grey Jedi.
Choice C: Flirt with cat's owner. That's a good thing right?

Last edited by Nixl; 2012-02-21 at 19:02.
Old 2012-02-21, 18:53   Link #1240
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I guess that just means Revan...

*puts glasses on*

...took an arrow to the knee.

YEEEAAAH

Tags
bioware, lucasarts, mmorpg, star wars, windows