AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2017-12-06, 14:01   Link #1
BWTraveller
Born to ship

MacGuffin collecting

An unusual request, but I was looking for a list of anime/manga/LNs containing a specific set of items being collected by the heroes and/or villains. Something of a quest-type plot with multiple treasures.

I have just a few things I'd like to exclude though. Not too many pieces. There should be few enough that you can keep track of them, distinguish between them, even have each one serve a unique purpose or have a unique nature. The items should be legitimate items, not people or beasts (like Naruto's tailed beasts). It's fine if one's collecting party members who either carry the items, or are bound to them, just as long as the items themselves are to some extent distinct objects. It should be a complete set. Rather than something like Nanana's Buried Treasure, where there is a huge collection of items and the hero's collecting them with knowledge that many may not serve the purpose he needs and he may search long before getting something that'd actually serve him properly and directly in his quest, I'd like something where the goal is to collect the whole set of items, with all necessary.

For instance, in Battle Girls Time Paradox, the hero's party is attempting to collect pieces of armor. There's a set number of pieces, and the quest is to collect every last one.

There are at least a few series, especially older series, in which a collection of individuals possess weapons or armor that are part of a set or even aspects of a whole (like Ronin Warriors) that hero or villain is trying to collect for the power to be obtained by the full collection.

I even recall the incomplete American animated series Pirates of Dark Water had something similar, with a collection of talismans that, only when gathered together, would be able to stop the titular dark water.

Pieces of an artifact are fine as long as there aren't too many (seriously, how many pieces did that jewel from Inuyasha break into?), and it doesn't matter whether the collection is directly a source of power, a key to something or a map even. The point is the long-term quest for the completed set.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-06, 17:03   Link #2
LKK

The first thing that comes to my mind is Cardcaptor Sakura. Is that along the lines of what you're looking for?

PS: And points for the Pirates of Dark Water reference!

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-06, 17:08   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The girls in Flip Flappers are travelling around "Pure Illusion" gathering "amorphous," crystals with seemingly magic powers.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-06, 19:05   Link #4
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
I even recall the incomplete American animated series Pirates of Dark Water had something similar, with a collection of talismans that, only when gathered together, would be able to stop the titular dark water.
"It's high adventure with the Pirates of Dark Water!" I loved that cartoon.

Recommendation: Dragon Ball. Few pieces, trackable and distinguishable, and for bonus points they're collected several times throughout the series.
Old 2017-12-06, 20:42   Link #5
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
The first thing that comes to my mind is Cardcaptor Sakura. Is that along the lines of what you're looking for?

PS: And points for the Pirates of Dark Water reference!
Yes, a good example there. Would be a little better if there was a bit more of a meaning to the set AS a set, but seriously after watching that series through several times I have absolutely no complaints.

And yes, DB does pretty much fit. Please never mention it again. I love it, but I can't go back there; I already have a few series with extreme lengths.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-06, 22:20   Link #6
cyberdemon

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon - They are attempting to collect the scattered emotions of Horizon, which actually take the form of a set of 9 weapons of mass destruction based on the deadly sins, in order to subvert the apocalypse.
Old 2017-12-06, 23:36   Link #7
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Mentioning: 「コレクターズ」 by 西UKO / "Colectors" by Nishi Uko. Briefly - but how could I not, with a title like that...?
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-08, 10:27   Link #8
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
And yes, DB does pretty much fit. Please never mention it again. I love it, but I can't go back there; I already have a few series with extreme lengths.
Heh heh heh heh.

Another recommendation: I only watched episode 1 of Katanagatari, but they were talking about collecting various swords made by a certain blacksmith. It's only 13 episodes long so there can't be that many swords (can't remember the details, it's been a while).
Old 2017-12-10, 00:30   Link #9
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Yeah, Katanagatari fits very well.

12 special swords that they need to collect. Each with it's own power. Togame (the heroine) sent a ninja after the first one, well paid. He stole the sword for himself instead. So she picked the most honorable samurai to recover the next one, he stole it for himself.

She decides to go find the exiled master of the swordsmanship school of no sword. A school that teaches it's practitioners to wield no blade but to become the sword himself. Togame figures that since the style rejects swords these special swords will not be as tempting. Additionally, since both money and honor have failed her, she decides she will seduce the master and depend on love to keep him loyal.

Lots of talking, especially the first three episodes. Fourth episode though they finally get going with some major plot and action.

Official Promotion
Preview for episode 4
Opening

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote