Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-12-16, 04:36   Link #161
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipFace View Post
On the male singer side, only Fome and I sang at the tenor range, which was disappointing.
Mmh, this is not true. I had a good portion of my song (Mizonokuchi Taiyouzoku) in tenor range, also AlexL55 who sang UNDO.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 10:43   Link #162
Hourai Rabbit
Blissfully Ignorant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipFace View Post
Now for a technical comment, since we eventually have to rate these. On the male singer side, only Fome and I sang at the tenor range, which was disappointing. Normally I wouldn't be griping, but this is in contrast to at least twelve males who sang down. In my first competition, I sang one octave down, realized how awful it sounded, and swore never to sing down again. If I can do it, others can, too, and if it's still too high, there are thousands of other songs out there. That's why it's really tough for me to rate someone who sings in a different octave.
I can't vouch for anyone else but the reason I did it was because I'd rather pick a song I like than a song I can...well, actually sing. I guess that's a very poor choice of tactic from a competitive point of view but at the same time I looked on the competition as a labor of love more than anything else. It took me awhile to get over the fact that my voice sounded off compared to the original and seriously sit down to give myself honest criticism on my technique but I think it was worth it in the end and I'm more or less happy with how my entry turned out.

It doesn't help that a lot of songs I really enjoy are sung by female vocalists. That may have been another reason.

The other concern was, I guess, my vocal range since I'm a bass normally and I haven't sung tenor in a long time so I didn't want to break anything/didn't want to make the effort. If there is one thing I would do differently next time, it would certainly be to try and sing tenor but I have to somehow find a way to make my voice not sound very thin at that level. When I tried, I discovered that I couldn't really sing for long periods of time without getting lightheaded due to too much breathing.
Old 2009-12-16, 11:48   Link #163
GipFace

I had a good portion of my song (Mizonokuchi Taiyouzoku) in tenor range, also AlexL55
Sorry, I apologize for forgetting. That's why I haven't handed in my scores yet; I need to listen to everything a second (and probably a third) time to accurately rate everything.

I'd rather pick a song I like... I guess that's a very poor choice of tactic from a competitive point of view but at the same time I looked on the competition as a labor of love more than anything else.
Well, that's understandable. The problem is that this event occurs so infrequently that matching the song with your voice is a factor in scoring. I'd love to do something like Fuyu Mo Machine Gun (fastest Japanese I've ever heard in a song) for laughs except that I'm throwing away my entry by doing that. I think the non-competing portion fills that role nicely: you can experiment with whatever you want there. The competing portion should be the "best effort" submission because you have 1+ year to select an appropriate song, and over a month of warmup to do it. Most people want to sound at least half-decent in the end. Personally, I don't think singing one octave down does the trick, but everyone has different criteria.

The duets competition has more leeway and experimentation because you're allowed three entries. I did that last time: One serious entry, one fun entry with kissing and screaming, and one "B" entry which was more of an attempt to increase my vocal range because I needed the practice.

Sure, you can do whatever you want, but at the end of the day, it's still a competition, otherwise we'd be having karaoke meetups every month just for fun. Well... unless someone wants to arrange that... <_<

I wasn't trying to offend anyone with my comment. If I did, sorry. Hopefully you can understand where I'm coming from.
GipFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 14:25   Link #164
Langknow

Thanks for kcl and other people for making this happened.

I had a lot of fun, and can't wait to get the other songs to listen to.

Also, I couldn't understand that Gipface was talking about but what is Tenor ?

http://www.youtube.com/langknow
Langknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 18:22   Link #165
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Tenor refers to the higher part of a man's range, the lower being bass.

The women's version of that is soprano (high) and alto (low).

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 01:11   Link #166
Cz
Needs more sleep~

Hmm though some treat this competition really seriously for me it's more of a fun event, so perhaps that's why I would rather sing a song that I like rather than one that my voice suits well. I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but with so many more talented people in the competition (you know who you are ), I don't think me singing a perfect piece would help me much.
Cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 07:11   Link #167
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Yeah, I just do it to do it, I don't do it to win LOL

Not with some of the talent we have

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 13:12   Link #168
SCHADOWFOX
#AnimeSuki - ChanOp

Send a message via ICQ to SCHADOWFOX Send a message via AIM to SCHADOWFOX Send a message via MSN to SCHADOWFOX Send a message via Yahoo to SCHADOWFOX
ok torrent is "almost" done , just double checking everything atm

#animesuki @ irc.synirc.net
SCHADOWFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 18:14   Link #169
SCHADOWFOX
#AnimeSuki - ChanOp

Send a message via ICQ to SCHADOWFOX Send a message via AIM to SCHADOWFOX Send a message via MSN to SCHADOWFOX Send a message via Yahoo to SCHADOWFOX
All looks fine --- here it is --- grab it while it's hot ;D

Old 2009-12-20, 18:25   Link #170
Fome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHADOWFOX View Post
All looks fine --- here it is --- grab it while it's hot ;D
Thanks a ton. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 18:40   Link #171
kcl822
Queen of the Underworld
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to kcl822
VOTING

If you want to vote:
Name of contestant, then from a scale of 1-10, put a number that you think fits the song.
If you want to put comments please do so, they will be posted later on anonymously.

Email votes to karacom@animesuki.info

DEADLINE: December 31, 2009.
Old 2009-12-21, 16:32   Link #172
Mnemosyne
Ruler of the Universe

About the tags? Inoue Marina sang Houseki for real... I sang it for this here thing... eh heh heh...
Old 2009-12-21, 19:32   Link #173
Shiemi
Counting days

My desktop is dead and I was not planning on installing BitTorrent in laptop... Is there any chance someone can put a direct link?

Frank Parsons
Shiemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-22, 00:04   Link #174
SCHADOWFOX
#AnimeSuki - ChanOp

ftp://animesuki-ftp:daisuki@ftp.anim...petiton.tar.gz

Old 2009-12-22, 04:54   Link #175
Natsumeyashi Meiyo
. : メイヨ : .

Send a message via AIM to Natsumeyashi Meiyo Send a message via MSN to Natsumeyashi Meiyo Send a message via Yahoo to Natsumeyashi Meiyo
Thanks for the files! <3
Natsumeyashi Meiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-22, 06:37   Link #176
Cz
Needs more sleep~

Much thanks, SCHADOWFOX.
Cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-22, 09:08   Link #177
Langknow

thanks for the direct link... is it a zip file?

http://www.youtube.com/langknow
Langknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-22, 09:28   Link #178
SCHADOWFOX
#AnimeSuki - ChanOp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langknow View Post
thanks for the direct link... is it a zip file?
it's a .tar.gz file, I use winrar to extract files like that

Old 2009-12-22, 11:39   Link #179
Shiemi
Counting days

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHADOWFOX View Post
Thank you very much!

Frank Parsons
Shiemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 18:22   Link #180
kcl822
Queen of the Underworld
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to kcl822
Need the votes soon so I can tally them up! Although... I'm guessing most people are drunk from new year... Oh well.

Tags
karaoke competition