Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-04-06, 01:59   Link #121
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post

This series is like Starcraft. :V
And since i am a fan of starcraf, i am sold I will tolerate the possibility of characters remaining cliched and not fleshed out if this at least manages to deliver good combat scenes ... and that means i hope the giant Eva v2.0 won't appear too often.
Old 2007-04-06, 06:00   Link #122
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
So, summing it up, we're going to witness Age go through SOME SERIOUS MINDFUCK, and worse still if he falls in love with the princess. (( which has like a 99% chance of happening...))
Thanks for that back-story. Hmm, knowing the little of Age's personality and background from episode 1, I think it likely that it'll be the other way round; where it is the Princess, not him, that falls in love. It doesn't seem that having any sort of relationship with a girl has ever crossed his mind - then again, there's no barring what happened with Tarzan when he crossed paths with Jane from happening again.

Watching the scene where the Princess appears to Age, again, I'm impressed by her melodious lilt of a voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat
Age's henshin looks more like a monster than a mecha.... i wonder how they are gonna launch him into combat? Sling shot him into space?
Heh, no need for any one to launch him. Apparently, he can jump into space; overcoming an entire planet's gravitational pull. Then again, might not be a good idea, as far as the ship is concerned, for him to jump like that from an orbiting ship…

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi
So the moral is: Don't let Age get angry!
Yeah, just don't tear his Mother/Home/Food-Processor apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^
And well Humans are Humans
Terrans… Terrans!

Last edited by Lost; 2007-04-06 at 07:41.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 06:20   Link #123
Honey_and_Cleaver

What great animation, mecha designs are really crisped, but why do i feel this anime stinks!!

Such great work of art wasted in this crappy anime. Im getting Hitman:Reborn vibes out of this. Is there anything different,radical and extreme?

Whose the writer, look like some cheap harem anime writer who wanted to venture into sci-fi.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 06:31   Link #124
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey_and_Cleaver View Post
What great animation, mecha designs are really crisped, but why do i feel this anime stinks!!

Such great work of art wasted in this crappy anime. Im getting Hitman:Reborn vibes out of this. Is there anything different,radical and extreme?

Whose the writer, look like some cheap harem anime writer who wanted to venture into sci-fi.
I feel so tempted to neg-rep you for demeaning Tow Ubukata into such lowly pits, but since you are not familiar with him and his works, so I won't.

Tow Ubukata is the brainchild of Heroic Age and also the man behind the 2nd half of Fafner, Le Chevalier D'Eon, and the author of the novel Mardock Scramble, which had production problems and thus the anime release was cancelled.

He's also a novellist and has released multiple books.

It's perfectly understandable if you are not fond of Ubukata's writing styles or what not, but he's clearly above "some cheap harem anime writer". It's just the first episode of one anime, give it a chance to exploit it's setting more.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 07:05   Link #125
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

I am endlessly bewildered as to why people are picking on this particular show for not yet being "different, radical and extreme." Has anything in this season yet been "different"? Of course not! The scope of the story already sets it apart from every other sci-fi story to have been made for quite a few years.

You want to complain about bad writing this early on in the game, go camp out in the Saint Beast thread.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 07:37   Link #126
Honey_and_Cleaver

Now you said it. Okay, this writer is very ambitious guy. He wants to be a sci-fi novelist very badly. Ive seen 1st Ep of Le Chavelief, quite boring, the old french style movies hes trying to depict hard, but i have no interest there. Ill give this guy a break, but all the reviews of his animes interested me not.

Like they say, first we got "Devoc" and "Brotherhood of the wolves" style depiction in Le Chevelier. Now we got him trying to depict Starcraft in Epic Age.

This whole thing about superior alien race and one idiot to be hero will be the saviour of the universe and prophecy thing is really booring.

Id give this anime a 5 shounen star ranking after Hitman:Reborn and eyeshield3x3.
Old 2007-04-06, 07:54   Link #127
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

He is a sci-fi novelist, lol. He's won major awards for it.

ETA: You have Ikkitousen: DD and Kiba as current favorites in your sig. Are you just trolling or something?
Old 2007-04-06, 08:06   Link #128
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I feel so tempted to neg-rep you for demeaning Tow Ubukata into such lowly pits, but since you are not familiar with him and his works, so I won't.

Tow Ubukata is the brainchild of Heroic Age and also the man behind the 2nd half of Fafner, Le Chevalier D'Eon, and the author of the novel Mardock Scramble, which had production problems and thus the anime release was cancelled.
I think you meant to say Heroic Age is the brainchild of Tow Ubukata and not the other way around
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 08:11   Link #129
Honey_and_Cleaver

I dont just watch animes thats on my sig. Ive watched animes that have broken peoples head in two.

Im just astonished at the animation but disspointed at the way the story and plots were written.

I thought sci-fi were really heavy science logic that makes your head go crazy.I just think this writer is overrated. Maybe there arent many good sci fi writers among the writers.

I may have been spoiled by the countless books ive read that was written by Stephen Sagal,Hawkings,Michael Crinton and all those crazy sci-fi writers.

When i watch a sci-fi anime like this with hardcore animation, but it look liked a shounen anime, like a kids game.

Dont hate me for it. I just dont share the optimism this guy have for his novels.

Ill give a few more episodes a try.
Old 2007-04-06, 08:25   Link #130
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

I meant that more as a reference to the quality of Kiba and Ikki as shows. I mean, both of them can be fun in their own way, but complaining about shounen themes or stock characters and liking them seems a little... contradictory.

Anyway, Michael Crichton isn't really sci-fi per se. I love his books, especially his older stuff, but because of all the research he does, he's careful to ground them meticulously in potential reality. You know what, though? His characters are pretty forgettable. You're absolutely right in that hard SF is about the concepts rather than the beauty of the writing or characterization. Yet hard SF is also more or less dead as a genre nowadays, for better or for worse. Just because a story isn't based on groundbreaking physics doesn't make it something other than sci-fi.

I think the fact that this borrows from Greek mythology says a lot about what to expect. Perhaps they could have put it in a historical setting or just on a different planet or whatever--but they chose to set it in space, against the tapestry of the entire universe (and perhaps beyond). That's perfectly valid. And again, detailed & realistic sci-fi musings aren't really something one should expect from most sci-fi anime IMO... someone earlier in this thread mentioned Crest of the Stars, which is probably about as good as it gets in the medium.
Old 2007-04-06, 08:57   Link #131
7Th
Mixtape

Just watched the subtitled version. Now I really get all the StarCraft references, really sounds like the theme came out of it and I can very much classify this is the anime simplification of Blizzard's usual far-fetched space opera mythological lore. Nothing about Heroic Age is really bad so far, the characters may be just cut-boards of nothingness with no personality at all but they're not really important for what they're trying to do, the animation is barely above average and outside of the creatures mostly uninspired but it isn't ugly by any means and the rhythm is even if heavily aggravated by a incredibly expository script entertaining so far. I wasn't expecting this much from it to be honest, so I'm gladly surprised so far. Let's see where this goes.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 09:08   Link #132
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I will proceed with watching this if they have someone as badass as Tassadar. LOL.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 09:22   Link #133
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappster View Post
I think you meant to say Heroic Age is the brainchild of Tow Ubukata and not the other way around
Yeah. Well, I don't really stop to think or check for typos when I type things. It just comes out naturally.

Regardless, people are entitled to their own opinion on whether or not Heroic Age delivered for them personally. I won't deny that episode 1 lacked character dynamics outside of Mother/Food, but my personal judgement accepted that weakness since the show clearly wants to exploit a balanced focus on the Starcraft-ish setting, setting up the climax of the Messiah, and the Argonaut + Tarzan part of the story. True, it can end up as a miserable fail, but I'll give it at least 3 or 4 more episodes before throwing it in the bin if it really sucks that bad.

And hard science fiction in Heroic Age? In a show where there's apparently a group of people capable of creating stars, god-powerful aliens that can be symbioted into humans, humans with teleportation powers, telephathy, and shield bubbles? I dunno, but maybe some people are looking at this the wrong way or something.

Anyway, I think I'll stop rambling about this until episode 2 has aired.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 09:53   Link #134
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Read your arguments. They seemed shallow at best. Maybe you need to watch more anime to broaden your horizons?
Old 2007-04-06, 13:43   Link #135
ccardoso
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Dude. Not everyone has seen Utawarerumono!!!!

I have, but you're spoiling the story for alot of people!

Negative reps to all of you spoiling it!
Lol this is the most comic comment I've read in ages: Utawarerumo was subbed till the last episode quite a few month ago and it's even licensed so it's a thing of the past. The spoiler is intended for series that are currently airing and aren't translated, not for past ones which are a closed chapter already.
If you didn't see Gundam 0079 it's your problem, you can't come here and say to not talk about it to others just because you didn't see it.

Anyway regarding the Utawareruomo reference: I agree on the fact that Hero's Tribe design is very unoriginal and just recalls me that beast within the show. It was the first thing which flashed in my mind when I saw the monster within Age. In the introduction we see that a Hero Tribe member can actually destroy an entire planet and I find it annoying: the things which are too overpowered get boring fast. I hope Age won't use his "true form" too often, even if I doubt it because he can do nothing without it.

Quote:

Instead of blaming the anime saying how crappy it is what about explaining to us WHY you think that? I'm astonished that you can assume who the writer is just by watching ONE episode!

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't see you explained () your point of view here:
Quote:
This whole thing about superior alien race and one idiot to be hero will be the saviour of the universe and prophecy thing is really booring.
How do you know that's all there is to the plot? We only saw ONE episode and you already know evreything? Can you predict the future or do you live within the writer's pants?
I'm the first saying that this series left me with some doubts: but it has great potential and the first episode could only be meant to introduce us to the general context, which is quite complex to tell the truth. Even one episode didn't explain lots of things: why did the Golden Tribe leave for another universe? What were Age doing in that falling ship? Who destroyed half of the planet where Age was introduced to us? What about the Silver Tribe? Etc etc... If this series is planned for 26 episodes then one episode is nothing, not to mention that it's made by Xebec, which is the maker of Fafner.
Instead of saying it's crap and what not, let's give the show some time instead of running here trying to post the most cooler post of the day!

Quote:
Not that your comment is much more sophisticated eh...
Try to elaborate the concept if you like!
ccardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 14:10   Link #136
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccardoso View Post
Lol this is the most comic comment I've read in ages: Utawarerumo was subbed till the last episode quite a few month ago and it's even licensed so it's a thing of the past. The spoiler is intended for series that are currently airing and aren't translated, not for past ones which are a closed chapter already.
If you didn't see Gundam 0079 it's your problem, you can't come here and say to not talk about it to others just because you didn't see it.
Not everyone is up to date with the latest anime airing in Japan or even the latest licensed anime. So I don't really see what was so funny about that comment. I pretty much agree with it. Especially as it's being talked about in a totally unrelated thread to said anime. When I come in to a thread about Heroic Age I don't expect to see spoilers about Utawarerumono or any other anime. Doesn't take a lot of effort to use spoiler tags...

Quote:
Not that your comment is much more sophisticated eh...
Try to elaborate the concept if you like!
Uh... What? My comment wasn't meant to be more sophisticated. I also don't see the need to elaborate the concept since Nightengale understood what I was getting at (or seemed to at least from his reply) and since he(or she) was the one I was addressing that's all that matters. So yeah you've totally lost me with that comment/attack/whatever
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 15:23   Link #137
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The spoiler business is a difficult problem. In the thread for a particular anime, I think it's all right to talk openly about an episode a day or so (some people say a week or so) after the sub comes out.

But I haven't seen all the classics, let along some good shows from last year, so I have sometimes been spoiled accidentally when someone mentions the key point of a show in another show's thread. I'm not saying what people should do, just that it can be a problem.

I liked the plot so far, myself, to the minor extent we were exposed to it. Didn't seem boring. We'll see where it goes. If the grand themes don't move you, then it's a problem, though, I guess. I personally think that originality is overrated. I think emotional effectiveness is more important. The old themes can be the most emotionally powerful ones, if you're able to get into them.

The writer is Tow Ubukata, who wrote Fafner, Chevalier D'Eon, and Mardock Scramble and is thought (not least by himself) to be a genius.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 15:47   Link #138
ccardoso
Banned

Quote:
Not everyone is up to date with the latest anime airing in Japan or even the latest licensed anime. So I don't really see what was so funny about that comment. I pretty much agree with it. Especially as it's being talked about in a totally unrelated thread to said anime. When I come in to a thread about Heroic Age I don't expect to see spoilers about Utawarerumono or any other anime. Doesn't take a lot of effort to use spoiler tags...
Ok let's put a new rule: all the forum must go into a giant spoiler tag. I hope this can satisfy people!

Quote:
Uh... What? My comment wasn't meant to be more sophisticated. I also don't see the need to elaborate the concept since Nightengale understood what I was getting at (or seemed to at least from his reply) and since he(or she) was the one I was addressing that's all that matters. So yeah you've totally lost me with that comment/attack/whatever
Attack? Oh no, I don't attack anyone, I like peace!
ccardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 15:49   Link #139
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Oh, please. What Zappster said about spoiler tags was perfectly reasonable. Making a joke out of his point won't get you anywhere. At the least, people should be able to browse series-specific threads without being worried about random spoilers from other shows popping up all over the place. That's just common sense.
Old 2007-04-06, 15:50   Link #140
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccardoso View Post
Ok let's put a new rule: all the forum must go into a giant spoiler tag. I hope this can satisfy people!

There shouldn't be untagged spoilers about anime Y in anime X discussion thread. < What about this is so hard to understand ?

Tags
action, science fiction