AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > KanColle

Notices

Old 2015-03-25, 19:57   Link #61
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

This bickering around which should stay or which should be scrapped is the problem that lies in adapting an anime series about Kancolle. There's so many admirals that have their choices in who should get a spotlight (i.e., some people don't like Fubuki as MC, some want less KitaOoi scenes, some wanted the other fleet divisions as MCs, etc.,) and they have lots of considerations to make (especially where to use in-game logic) in the story.

Is it even possible to meet at a compromise point?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-25, 20:17   Link #62
Academus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The problem is that "sinking" mechanic in the game is designed in such way because the game is overly reliant on RNG without any way to change formation or force a retreat during the battle of a heavily damaged Kanmusu. If sinking wasn't dependant on the admiral choice for pushing his luck, then it would be absolutely unfair gamewise. That is to say, there is no reason that point should be present in the anime, ever.

Really Academus, do you really think it would flow well that , for example, Fubuki would tank every wo plane and have absolutely no chance for sinking in the anime, just because it would be impossible in the game? That premise is just counter intuitive in its nature and presentation.
Don't put the story in a spot where you need Fubuki to tank every wo plane then, just like how we won't put a red kanmusu in a spot where she needs to dodge enemy attacks to survive. Make her receives some scratch and clothing damage, then introduce powerful allies who retaliate with superior firepower. It's not like we don't have that in ep.12.

And frankly, it's a fictional fantasy setting; I care more about its internal consistency and less about its resemblance with reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
This bickering around which should stay or which should be scrapped is the problem that lies in adapting an anime series about Kancolle. There's so many admirals that have their choices in who should get a spotlight (i.e., some people don't like Fubuki as MC, some want less KitaOoi scenes, some wanted the other fleet divisions as MCs, etc.,) and they have lots of considerations to make (especially where to use in-game logic) in the story.

Is it even possible to meet at a compromise point?
Look no further than Idolmaster. It was made by people who really know the ins and outs of the source material, and above all care and love the characters and the series.
Academus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-25, 20:27   Link #63
chaosprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The problem is that "sinking" mechanic in the game is designed in such way because the game is overly reliant on RNG without any way to change formation or force a retreat during the battle of a heavily damaged Kanmusu. If sinking wasn't dependant on the admiral choice for pushing his luck, then it would be absolutely unfair gamewise. That is to say, there is no reason that point should be present in the anime, ever.
Having a way to change formation mid battle or choose to retreat just after a ship girl is sent to red wouldn't be enough. People would still be losing ship-girls all the time by having an enemy getting a lucky critical that one-shots them even before you could have any choice, which is another thing the current sinking mechanic prevents. And I agree with you, it's very important in such a RNG reliant game and wouldn't make sense in the anime at all and would make the battles be a joke.
Old 2015-03-25, 22:58   Link #64
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academus View Post
Look no further than Idolmaster.
And even then there were compromises done simply to give everyone in the first series sufficient screentime, Miki's obsession with the Producer the only romantic angle that carried over from the game, and the last third of the show focusing on Haruka's insecurities plus Chihaya's trauma felt heavy-handed.

Ditto with Cinderella Girls -- while giving the Producer a face and a personality worked surprisingly well (the staff themselves were surprised themselves at the Producer's popularity), it was a big gamble too, as it could easily just devolve into an idol harem.

The Kantai Collection anime suffered from similar, if even worse production compromises. You can see that Kadokawa desperately wanted this to work, and they tried to tread on as few toes while trying to please everyone... which just raised a ruckus anyway from more finicky watchers anyway.

Not that there weren't legitimate complaints (pacing for example, consistent mood another), they tend to get drowned out by the people raging on, say, Fubuki being the MC, and not their own character of choice...
Old 2015-03-25, 23:43   Link #65
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Fubuki is the safe MC of the starter ships. I don't think they wanted to go with a MC that wasn't a starter ship (even though many shipgirls can hold their own in fiction). I suppose the other starter girls had too much baggage or attachements (or didn't fit the art style as well...Murakumo)
Old 2015-03-26, 01:50   Link #66
Miraluka
Banned

@Myssa Rei

And Miki's it's the only successful one that even has an epilogue when the others' just end.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-26, 02:03   Link #67
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Give me more Himes!
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-26, 02:43   Link #68
IceHism

I hope in the sequel that they don't dance around the line between plot and no plot. Either write a serious story or just make it plotless with SoL as main focus. No trying to do both as i don't think that worked for this season.

Also, no more bucky as MC please.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-26, 04:24   Link #69
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
I hope in the sequel that they don't dance around the line between plot and no plot. Either write a serious story or just make it plotless with SoL as main focus. No trying to do both as i don't think that worked for this season.

Also, no more bucky as MC please.
Hmm... I agree at some point they should just stick to one or the other and not both... Probably the writers will be able to learn from the mistakes in the first season.

I don't get the hate on bucky as MC... Too OP and plot armor?
Old 2015-03-26, 04:34   Link #70
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
I don't get the hate on bucky as MC... Too OP and plot armor?
The cries of "OMG TOO BLAND" or how she should be replaced by Shimakaze (once I have played the game, I found myself liking Yukikaze better than Shimakaze).

On my end, the handling of her growth felt... clumsy and her Akagi fangirlism should have been toned down a little. I am a TTK who picked her as starter ship and would have been fine if another starter ship like Inazuma or Samidare was picked as protag.
Old 2015-03-26, 05:29   Link #71
DerGilga
Banned

As a rare specimen who doesn't play the game, the scenes with the admiral had no impact on me at all. Did those who play the game could connect to him/her? Had his scenes any impact on game players? I'm really curious because him missing and magically reappearing had the same emotional impact on me as watching paint dry.
So I would be perfectly happy if the admiral dies a slow and horrible death between season 1 and season 2 and the girls are left on there own.

Wish for next season: I just want one abyssal focused episode with MC Hoppo!
DerGilga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-26, 05:37   Link #72
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
From a game-player's perspective, the Admiral was pretty incompetent actually -- lots of the stuff shown, like not stockpiling resources prior to an important Event, are no-nos among veteran players (for example, in the actual in-game Midway Event, I had amassed 400+ buckets and 100k+ resources in prep for it). Nevermind the implication that they only managed to win in the final episode because the admiral used his credit card to buy the 10-bucket pack from Akashi's shop.

That said, I'm fine if the series keeps the same character dynamics for the sequel, for continuity's sake. However, the production really has to get a better screenwriter -- the two-screenwriter thing didn't really work, as it just caused whiplash between the serious vs. SOL segments.

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2015-03-26 at 06:56.
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-26, 06:59   Link #73
James Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Why does the opinion of the anime only viewers matter more than the game players? KC is based on a game with ship girls. WIth anime viewers, you can already go ??? at the shinkaisen kan, arrows becoming planes, the bath scenes and well, the buckets is the game mechanics.

That's like saying that in war, you don't need to be afraid of injuries and shrapnel wounds but only need to be afraid of death.
Not really, I didn't played the game either yet I could understand that there are fairies that do a lot of work together with the shipgirls or that instant repair buckets literally repair you instantly and what not. An anime can explain stuff to anime only viewers pretty well if done right.

Also the shipgirls really don't need to be afraid of injuries and shrapnel and stuff like that. From what we saw they cannot lose limbs or even get scars. All they need to do is take a bath and their skin is as smooth and clean as before. So any kind of damage taken is nothing else but an annoyance, maybe an annoyance that hurts but nothing with lasting effects like being unable to shoot a bow anymore thus being a useless aircraft carrier, etc.
So "death" aka sinking was the only thing the shipgirls could be really afraid of and which the viewers could agree with as fear as a bath or bucket cannot undo death.
People in our real world would kill for such a bath or instant repair buckets for humans. XDDD
James Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-26, 07:04   Link #74
Kopi
Σ(゚ロ゚ノ)ノ

-An admiral with face and personality please, so I relate better to how the girls feel like when he actually went missing (well since they went with dead silence figure, it's kind of hard to change this...gdi)
-Tenryuu, RJT, other naval bases
-A better writer & director to make the battle episodes better... the non-battle epis are actually fine
-Physical and emotional developments ONSCREEN into Kai Ni (overcoming crisis, or even better together so they can Kai Ni a bunch of girls at the same time, etc)
-More voiced Abyssals
Kopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-26, 07:48   Link #75
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Not really, I didn't played the game either yet I could understand that there are fairies that do a lot of work together with the shipgirls or that instant repair buckets literally repair you instantly and what not. An anime can explain stuff to anime only viewers pretty well if done right.
Same, but only because [a] I know enough about the game without playing it and [b] I played a sizable amount of games to recognize game logic.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2015-03-26, 07:57   Link #76
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

They need to include more gundam references in season 2. xD

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-26, 08:20   Link #77
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
They need to include more gundam references in season 2. xD
They missed the boat with the Yuudachi Kai 2 episode.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-26, 08:59   Link #78
msg

Actually i don't mind Fubuki as an MC, The real problem lies with Diomedia themselves..they took more of what they can chew (i believe they're handling four anime concurrently? one of them i believe is cross-ange? and because of that they're short of staffs)..this lead to rush out for production datelines and time which lead to poor to below average quality anime (direction and plot wise, their animation is ok)...i rather (if they're gonna make a second season) see them pass to another company affliated to them so as to not to compromised the "quality"of the said "titles"...I understand that diomedia doesn't want to miss out "big titles"but what they're doing right now is counter productive and missing out making big profits so to speak...quantities over qualities.

Like others already been said, Diomedia really need to change the screenwriter or the director..the season gotten worse after half the season (specifically after episode 5).The anime stuttered irregular flow/pacing and inconsistencies show up more especially in the later half of the season.

That being said, i doubted they going to change the staff that they have for future sequel (and complaining here is kinda useless in this forum...you think they're gonna listen or read this forum)...we can only hope they would improve if they still sticking with the current production staff.
Old 2015-03-26, 09:08   Link #79
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Actually i don't mind Fubuki as an MC, The real problem lies with Diomedia themselves..they took more of what they can chew (i believe they're handling four anime concurrently? one of them i believe is cross-ange? and because of that they're short of staffs)..this lead to rush out for production datelines and time which lead to poor to below average quality anime (direction and plot wise, their animation is ok)...i rather (if they're gonna make a second season) see them pass to another company affliated to them so as to not to compromised the "quality"of the said "titles"...I understand that diomedia doesn't want to miss out "big titles"but what they're doing right now is counter productive and missing out making big profits so to speak...quantities over qualities.
Diomedea's current load consists of this season's Cute High Earth Defense Club Love!, Unlimited Fafnir, Kantai Collection and World Break: Aria of Curse for a Holy Swordsman and Kūsen Madōshi Kōhosei no Kyōkan next season(?). If that doesn't explain why they're struggling when they're used to loads this big, then I don't know what.

Old 2015-03-26, 10:24   Link #80
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

I have another idea for season 2. Have all the Shiratsuyu class (yea, we'll see poi again) under the command of a new Teitoku. For the ending antagonist, see Harusame with Destroyer hime.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote