AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-09-10, 00:35   Link #61
Hatter
Never Knows Best

Animeish.com... heard of it?

I just stumbled across this site a couple of days ago, searching for a rather scarce Love Hina wallscroll. They have good prices, and I do plan to buy from them, but nowadays, you can never be too careful.

They don't have an "About Us" section, so I have no idea where they are or how long they've been operating. Their transactions are handled through PayPal... do they have some sort of quality-assurance system set up?
Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-10, 01:43   Link #62
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter
I just stumbled across this site a couple of days ago, searching for a rather scarce Love Hina wallscroll. They have good prices, and I do plan to buy from them, but nowadays, you can never be too careful.

They don't have an "About Us" section, so I have no idea where they are or how long they've been operating. Their transactions are handled through PayPal... do they have some sort of quality-assurance system set up?
Their domain has existed since the 13th of Feburary this year, so at least that website hasn't been around long. And, since a lot of the site is "coming soon", I assume that they're just getting started up - it looks to me like a one-person operation (not that there's anything wrong with that).

In terms of the risk, though, since payment is processed by Paypal, your biggest risk would be the price of whatever you purchase - and since most of their merchandise seems to be $10 (US, I assume), it's not a huge risk. Normally, I wouldn't deal with companies that don't have a long-standing reputation and a solid online store infrastructure, but as I said, worst case scenario, all you lose is $10, and you could even use Paypal's dispute policy to resolve that if need be.

So in other words, you're taking a risk, but all you've really got to lose here is about $10. If you get the merchandise and it turns out to be of good quality, then everybody wins.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-12, 02:16   Link #63
Hatter
Never Knows Best

Well, I do really want to order from them, but they still haven't responded to the emails I sent a few days ago. We'll see.

And also, I'm absolutely shocked at how low the prices are at DVDPacific! Even with conversion to CDN, and S&H, I still stand to save more than $20 on anime DVDs, which are ridiculously overpriced up here!
Old 2004-09-12, 02:31   Link #64
Hatter
Never Knows Best

Has anyone ever heard of AnimeCheap.com ? Just stumbled across them...
Old 2004-10-10, 14:06   Link #65
BeNighted
To Bid You Farewell

Let's see if I can bring in something useful:

United Kingdom DVD's:

· http://www.dc-dvd.co.uk
· http://www.amazon.co.uk

United Kingdom Merchandise:

· http://www.otaku.co.uk

DC-DVD is slightly pricey though, so Amazon.co.uk is your best bet. However, they don't do as much anime... it all depends on what series you want to buy ^^;;
BeNighted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-07, 04:21   Link #66
Suzaku no Miko

Question

recently i ordered MKR 1 +2 (yes i know it's old). i got my MKR2, and i was wondering why there was no MRK1 coming. 2 days ago i got an email from dvdpacific,

"Before we can ship your new order we will require the following further information from you as detailed below. Unfortunately this is necessary due to the large amount of fraudulent activity we have recently experienced. This will be a one time request only unless you at some time in the future amend your credit card details to a different card. Please send the following information to accounts@dvdpacific.com and they will quickly verify and proceed with placement of orders.

1.Utility Bill (water, electricity, phone etc.) which clearly displays your billing address.
2. Credit Card Statement current for period within the past 3 months again clearly displaying account number and billing address."

did any of u guys get this or is this one of those email pranks..cus HK has a bunch of pranks in regard to citibank already. o_O

and if i screw up dad's credit card i'm not gonna get anything online anymore
Suzaku no Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-07, 07:36   Link #67
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzaku no Miko
did any of u guys get this or is this one of those email pranks..cus HK has a bunch of pranks in regard to citibank already. o_O
I haven't received anything like that from them recently and they (DVDPacific) sent me an order a few days ago (on the 4th Nov I received the Shipping Confirmation email).

I suggest you email accounts@dvdpacific.com and forward the email you received and ask them if they did send it. It sounds genuine mind you (as they did recently have problems with credit cards, see GHDpro's post earlier)
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-08, 09:49   Link #68
Suzaku no Miko

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
I suggest you email accounts@dvdpacific.com and forward the email you received and ask them if they did send it. It sounds genuine mind you (as they did recently have problems with credit cards, see GHDpro's post earlier)
strange..the reply was to "decline@dvdpacific.com"
so i changed it to "accounts@..."
i haven't got ANYTHING back from them.
neither have i got anything by mail. but it's so expensive, i might as well get the DVD version in HK. they're produced in taiwan..i can't even say if they are pirated or not. much cheaper though. 120HKD VS. 1200HKD (10x difference!!)
and the shipping cost is also $$$.
but then again, i want a nonpirated copy. they provided a fax number. i wonder if i should fax them and see if they reply - but long distance fax -.-"
Old 2004-11-08, 10:01   Link #69
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I think the problem is where you live. I'm not sure if it's discrimination or if they simply get a lot of
fraudulent orders from Hong Kong or elsewhere in Asia, but I do think this is why.

Certainly requesting a copy of your credit card statement is not unusual in this case. A copy of
your utility bill is though. The only time I ever have been requested to be that thorough would be
when I opened a back account when I was staying in Ireland.

I myself have had to send a copy/scan of my credit card statement and/or credit card itself when:
- ordering server(s) for AnimeSuki and other sites -- these are expensive, so they want proof
- buying from online game shops such as www.tronixweb.com and www.therage.com

Example: TronixWeb shows this text on their "Shopping Cart" page:
"Please note: New customers may be requested to FAX (212-727-8934) over additional
information before order processing. Your faxed information is completely private.
We only require this additional information if we cannot easily verify card ownership and address."

Note: you may assume that pretty much all international orders fall under above clause.

So... DVD Pacific is just doing this to protect them against fraud. Most likely if you comply with their
request they'll send you the DVDs without futher questions, plus it'll be 1-time only, you won't need
to go through the same trouble when ordering again.

Edit: Just read the part where you indicated already having ordered (succesfully) from
DVD Pacific before. In that case it's really odd they're sending this mail out. But again:
if you comply they'll send the DVDs out, and it'll be 1-time only. I would recommend waiting
for a reply on that email though, and also recommend trying the email address they used
to reply just in case.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-08, 10:18   Link #70
Suzaku no Miko

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
Edit: Just read the part where you indicated already having ordered (succesfully) from
DVD Pacific before. In that case it's really odd they're sending this mail out. But again:
if you comply they'll send the DVDs out, and it'll be 1-time only. I would recommend waiting
for a reply on that email though, and also recommend trying the email address they used
to reply just in case.
i think i'll just call them cus we got plan of 1200 long distance minutes each month
just checked the fax number, it does corresspond to website. but i guess i will call them haha hopefully then i won't have to scan all that stuff or else parents will be skeptical of ordering online again *sigh*
yet i wonder why i got MKR2 and not MKR1 grr. not like i didn't pay them

Thanks!
Old 2004-11-08, 10:43   Link #71
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
i haven't got ANYTHING back from them.
neither have i got anything by mail.
I assume you mean that you have not had a reply from the email you sent. Don't forget that it was the weekend and at this point in time it's something like 10AM Monday morning for them, expecting a reply on a Sunday may be a bit optimistic.

I've had email replies from them ranging from 2 to 20 hours after I sent them.
Quote:
but it's so expensive, i might as well get the DVD version in HK. they're produced in taiwan..i can't even say if they are pirated or not. much cheaper though. 120HKD VS. 1200HKD (10x difference!!)
and the shipping cost is also $$$.
but then again, i want a nonpirated copy. they provided a fax number. i wonder if i should fax them and see if they reply - but long distance fax -.-"
Yes, if they are 10 times cheaper then most likely they will be illegal bootlegs. Take a look at The generic "Is this a bootleg" thread.
Old 2004-11-09, 12:43   Link #72
chimuikuzeru

initial d box sets

i got an original box sets of initial d a long time ago. the box set of stage 1, box set of stage 2, and box set of stage 3, extra, and battle, but these were a gift so i have no idea where the person got them from because he just bought them when he went back home to japan for vacation. is there anywhere online that sells the original japanese boxsets, NOT the released tokyopop version.
chimuikuzeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-09, 13:09   Link #73
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimuikuzeru
i got an original box sets of initial d a long time ago. the box set of stage 1, box set of stage 2, and box set of stage 3, extra, and battle, but these were a gift so i have no idea where the person got them from because he just bought them when he went back home to japan for vacation. is there anywhere online that sells the original japanese boxsets, NOT the released tokyopop version.
CDJapan is always a good place to start, they do list the Initial D DVDs but no box sets (I assume you are after the Japanese R2 releases). Are you sure they aren't bootlegs (see The generic "Is this a bootleg" thread).
Old 2004-11-13, 21:39   Link #74
firstian

I thought some of you might be interested in this, DeepDiscountDVD is having a 20% off for all in stock items. Find the coupon code in from the following link:

http://www.slickdeals.net/forums/sho...postid=0#post0

It's starting now and finishes on 11/20. So go check it out. They usually have the lowest price anyway, and also free shipping. I just place my $200 order with them.
firstian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-14, 21:07   Link #75
Fellini 8.5
Film Snob

Talking Remember that great 20% off sale...?

Deep Discount DVD is doing it again. Right now! Until the 20th. Just showed up in my inbox.

Code="SUPERSALE"

Not affiliated with them, but I'm about to spend a couple of hundred well-discounted bucks there and I want some company.
Fellini 8.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-27, 01:59   Link #76
Bonsai Forest

Tico of the Seven Seas / Tico and Nanami

Anyone have an idea where I might find this? The series has been released on DVD (albeit not with English subtitles), but the sites mentioned in the "where do I buy" thread don't have it. Do you know of anyone who ships this to America?

Also, has anyone watched this anime before? What opinions do you have on it?
Bonsai Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-27, 03:36   Link #77
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Forest
Anyone have an idea where I might find this? The series has been released on DVD (albeit not with English subtitles), but the sites mentioned in the "where do I buy" thread don't have it. Do you know of anyone who ships this to America?

Also, has anyone watched this anime before? What opinions do you have on it?
As usual with this sort of question, the answer is cdJapan.

Tico & Friends (Tico of the Seven Seas)
Old 2004-11-27, 15:26   Link #78
Ryoma-Echizen
Tennis rookie

A beatifull anime, on my country (Perú) a local channel(managed by the goverment) puts on air... 4-5 year ago.

The r2 dvd como with japanese subtitles.
I only have the first four dvd´s , on near future will be buying the rest ^^.

*A piece of collection.

Someone knows others stores similar to cdjapan? (in nihon)

money order(ipmo) as payment option will be better.
Ryoma-Echizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-27, 21:28   Link #79
Bonsai Forest

Re: CDJapan/Tico of the Seven Seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
As usual with this sort of question, the answer is cdJapan.

Tico & Friends (Tico of the Seven Seas)
Thanks. I guess there is no English release, is there? I think it might be worth watching even if I can't understand the language, so I'll probably end up ordering it.

While I'm disappointed there's no English version, thanks for your help.

A side note: do you know if any fansub group might try their hand at this cartoon?
Bonsai Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 16:42   Link #80
elniro

Send a message via MSN to elniro
For dvdpacific.com:

1) When you buy from there, do you become a member and so pay the member prices? or do you have to pay a fee to be a member?

2)What's the last date you got to order to ensure christmas delivery?

thanks
elniro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anime dvd suggestions, anime movies, help finding an anime, manga, purchase, streaming anime