AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2010-02-24, 11:10   Link #461
Kayzenx

Thansk for the help guys, it worked out ^^
Kayzenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 06:35   Link #462
Kurre

I don’t think that this find deserves its own thread so I’ll post it here. I came across this thread today on Planet Peer and it seems that Stealthnet might be the next step in Japanese ap2p. I actually thought that something like this would happen after PD's anonymity was compromised but I didn’t know if Japanese would make a new program or use western ap2p applications. Everything depends on the developers now as there is a lot of work to be done to make Stealthnet support files over 4g and make the network more scalable. Still, there’s something going on here…
Kurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-06, 21:27   Link #463
CryptWizard

I don't like the model of having a certain person explicitly sharing a file at a particular time.

I like the fact that PD is like a huge truck that I can just dump anything on, and everyone will naturally help to keep a copy of it alive.
CryptWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 02:04   Link #464
Ferstelle

Hey. Is there anyone in this thread who has managed to run Perfect Dark under Wine in Mac OS X? I've had little trouble installing the program, but the characters appear as Ascii boxes, and I can't search using kana.

Neither LC_Messages=ja_JP.UTF-8 or LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8 will work. I can't use LANG because it doesn't work in OS X. I've tried changing my OS to run in Japanese, and THAT doesn't work either. When I run locale -a, it says I have ja_JP installed on my system, so that's not my problem.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Last edited by Ferstelle; 2010-04-20 at 02:18.
Ferstelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 06:49   Link #465
Emess
Slower Than You

Send a message via AIM to Emess Send a message via MSN to Emess Send a message via Yahoo to Emess
Your font needs the characters or it cannot display them.

E~
Emess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 14:49   Link #466
JediNight
キズランダム

What's the usual amount of time it takes people to get a file from Perfect Dark? It always takes me several hours, despite being on 25/2.5mbit connection. I have my router configured properly as well.

Is it normal for 20-25% of my connection attempts to fail connecting to PD from the US? Is there some trick to it I don't know about, I wonder?
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 12:02   Link #467
Emess
Slower Than You

Send a message via AIM to Emess Send a message via MSN to Emess Send a message via Yahoo to Emess
Japan has a crappy connection to the rest of the world. That is completely normal. Some people with faster connections than you have had it take months to get some files. PD is designed for use inside Japan where everyone is effectively on a giant LAN. They didn't really think about or care about anyone outside Japan using the app, and why should they?

E~
Emess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 15:59   Link #468
JEEB
Bishoujo fanatic
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Is it normal for 20-25% of my connection attempts to fail connecting to PD from the US? Is there some trick to it I don't know about, I wonder?
IIRC Kaichou did write in his "system overview" (available on PD if you search for his "tagname") that PD will lie about 1/3 of the peers it's found, so my guess would be that what you're experiencing is completely normal. I should re-check this, but IIRC I did read about this somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
What's the usual amount of time it takes people to get a file from Perfect Dark? It always takes me several hours, despite being on 25/2.5mbit connection. I have my router configured properly as well.
As with other non-"tracker"-based P2Ps (DHT was the right word, yes?), it will take some time before peers with the file you wish for appear. Otherwise, the age and overall popularity of the file does have something to do with the speed you'll get your file. Thankfully, since PD usually tries to help the life of the file on the network by making seeding as easy as possible, and not being as leecher-mode'ish as Share, your chances of actually getting the file are rather good in the end (Share usually gets things quickly after peers are acquired, but on the other hand doesn't try to make it hard as possible to play around with the cache). Emess' reasoning is alright for speed-wise limitations per-connection. With more connections higher speeds are possible, though.

Also, if you really, really seem to be not finding peers after quite some time, ask for a refill on the file from other PD users on the internal BBS system's boards (not on the "flow"). Of course, at least some knowledge of Japanese is needed for its usage, but I think it's nice to know that people might be ready to help you, should you ask nicely.
Old 2010-06-15, 13:34   Link #469
Smirk

I have a question about Share. Should I transfer downloaded files to upload folder? Cause when I did that to my around 10Gb downloaded music the current download tasks immediately started with insane speeds like never before. Like some barrier was crushed and Share thought "Holy shit! You've got a considerable upload. Here, I'll let you download all you wanted". Or I wasn't supposed to transfer anything from download folder, cause my cache reduced by the same amount? Also, all my orange "Complete" labels turned pink with "Link" written.

Ouh, and concerning Perfect Dark - is there any benefit regarding download speeds and priority, by uploading stuff yourself even if you have cache around 30Gb?
Smirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 16:32   Link #470
seven|x_x
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノ​ヽノ \ / \

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
...concerning Perfect Dark - is there any benefit regarding download speeds and priority, by uploading stuff yourself even if you have cache around 30Gb?
my unity folder is well over 300GB for perfect dark... and no, theres no real benefit that i see. maybe i upload a bit more than i would otherwise, but i dont think theres any speed benefit on the downstream.
seven|x_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-05, 16:24   Link #471
mr.john

hi

can u help me
I have this problem with pd

pd dose not download anything
and when I open pd this show

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?o2d4oja2p6k0ogz

Please help me
mr.john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-05, 17:09   Link #472
Desbreko
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Desbreko
If it's not downloading anything, not even unity cache, then you probably need to open a port for it in your router settings and enter that port number in PD's settings. (You should see "perfect dark is online" in blue letters above the settings button if this is set up correctly.) Otherwise, it's exactly as the message says; it won't start downloading stuff you actually want until you get enough unity cache.
Desbreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 09:33   Link #473
helmaul

Hi
I have a problem with converting to file in PD.
Iam using wine to use Pd on Mac OS.

If I download something and the download is finished i cant convert it to a file.
It is suposed to do so automaticly but nothing happends even when i use the context menu.

can anyone help?? :-/
helmaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 14:36   Link #474
prnoct90

I just started using Perfect Dark. It says its online and the port is open and everything. I got new nodes, and the files list populated. I double clicked on a couple of them and they moved to downloads. But, they all just sit in there and never start. It says ('-m-')zZz under status (or something like that cause I can't type it properly). What am I doing wrong?
prnoct90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-10, 05:10   Link #475
helmaul

hmm I think you have to wait till the first 2GB of your Unity folder are downloaded, after that your own downloads get a higher priority and should start :-)

You can see you size of Unit under information, there you also can see if he is downloading anything.
Old 2010-08-14, 09:02   Link #476
helmaul

no ideas at all?? :-/
Old 2010-08-15, 01:30   Link #477
_eternal
anthem core

Send a message via AIM to _eternal
Hey, does anyone have a link to an explanation of the Unity system? I'm only familiar with filesharing with bit torrent and IRC so I don't have much prior knowledge going into this. Whenever I log onto PD, my unity slowly increases (at maybe 25 kbs max), but then I close the program, open it the next day, and the numbers seem different. I think my problem is that I have no idea what the numbers mean in the first place (there's one really big number and one thing that says 10 MB / 80 MB or something like that). I figured it would sort itself out eventually, but I'm starting to doubt that, so can anyone who understands the system help me out? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, for what it's worth, my unity folder currently has 2.5 GB of stuff in it. I have no idea what that stuff is. I'll let you know if that number magically changes by tomorrow.

Also, out of curiosity, do you think PD and Share should be used together or can one replace the other? I noticed that a lot of these C78 files aren't on PD so I should probably set up both, if I can even find it.
Old 2010-08-19, 08:09   Link #478
CryptWizard

Share and PD currently both operate very actively. Neither renders the other obselete.

Think of unity as a huge truck. Basically, tiny portions of each users hard drive (with some hocus pocus in between) forms a giant distributed hard drive that stores all the files.
CryptWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-27, 12:35   Link #479
reverend

Hello,

I am currently using Perfect Dark (Nothing Ends) and after many months of occasional use, my unity cache got up to 40GB, which is the maximum size that i set. Thing is, after that it seemed to download only very slowly compared to before.

Does anyone know if once the unity fills up, PD loses the ability to download until the unity cache is reduced through some means?

cheers

rev
reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-27, 19:41   Link #480
jpwong

Perfect Dark should automatically delete older unity cache items on it's own if you ever reach you capacity limit. Mine lops off 10GB and unity drops to 30GB anytime it reached 40GB for me.
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p2p, perfect dark