AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-06-25, 14:34   Link #21
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
If we're talking about overall quality here, anime does not have any greater quality compared to a normal 'cartoon'. If we were to break down into individual components, such as story, style, voice acting characters, backgrounds, there is one very important component that anime is lacking alot: Animation.
I've heard that a lot, but I can't help but to noticing how every time it's a comparison between an anime serialized on TV and a disney movie with hollywoodian budged.

I would like, for a change, to see someone comparing anime to actually comparable western cartoon that are actually meant for the TV media and that span several episodes.

For example the miriad of Warner bros and Hanna & Barbera cartoons or the more recent stuff that they air on adult swim and so on.

What is the frame rate on those?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 19:08   Link #22
bradosia
Chump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I've heard that a lot, but I can't help but to noticing how every time it's a comparison between an anime serialized on TV and a disney movie with hollywoodian budged.

I would like, for a change, to see someone comparing anime to actually comparable western cartoon that are actually meant for the TV media and that span several episodes.

For example the miriad of Warner bros and Hanna & Barbera cartoons or the more recent stuff that they air on adult swim and so on.

from what I've read cartoon series are animated at 1 drawing per 3-5 frames and run at 30 fps on a TV.
This equates to 6-10 fps animation quality. I guess anime and cartoons don't differ that much after all.
Also I like your argument, that does make more sense. Cartoons actually seem a lot easier to make with oddly shaped bodies and/or non-human characters. Animating Patrick from "sponge bob square pants" seems vastly easier than animating Spike from "Cow Boy Be-bop". Plus the background quality of sponge bob is very simple compared to realistic backgrounds.

Also does it make sense comparing "Cowboy Be-bop" to "Spongebob square pants"? Both are popular anime/cartoon. If I compared "flapjack" to "pani Poni Dash" in terms of animation I would say "Flapjack" wins
Old 2011-07-12, 02:46   Link #23
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post

Yeah, try comparing something a bit more fair. Compare Snow White to a Miyazaki film, or to Kara no Kyoukai. Comparing a low-budget TV series to a gigantic-budget Disney film (even in the 30s) is ridiculous.
Old 2011-07-12, 03:05   Link #24
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Hayst, reading how expensive that is in making an anime, makes me scratch my head.

It would be easier to have a famous company make the anime for you and your only concern is making the anime models, characters and especially the plot.

I'm not done yet with part one of three......
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 04:34   Link #25
bradosia
Chump

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
Hayst, reading how expensive that is in making an anime, makes me scratch my head.

It would be easier to have a famous company make the anime for you and your only concern is making the anime models, characters and especially the plot.

I'm not done yet with part one of three......
It really depends on the anime quality.
Fan made ones definitely have low expectations since what you said, no budget (,no time, no manpower!)
Old 2011-07-12, 06:10   Link #26
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradosia View Post
from what I've read cartoon series are animated at 1 drawing per 3-5 frames and run at 30 fps on a TV.
This equates to 6-10 fps animation quality. I guess anime and cartoons don't differ that much after all.
Also I like your argument, that does make more sense. Cartoons actually seem a lot easier to make with oddly shaped bodies and/or non-human characters. Animating Patrick from "sponge bob square pants" seems vastly easier than animating Spike from "Cow Boy Be-bop". Plus the background quality of sponge bob is very simple compared to realistic backgrounds.

Also does it make sense comparing "Cowboy Be-bop" to "Spongebob square pants"? Both are popular anime/cartoon. If I compared "flapjack" to "pani Poni Dash" in terms of animation I would say "Flapjack" wins
Despite NTSC being at 30 frames per second, all animation is still based on 24 frames per second because that's the framerate for film. (It's then 3:2 telecined for broadcast).

The 3 main types of animation are "on the 2s/3s/4s", which means 12 fps, 8 fps, or 6 fps respectively. Rarely "full animation" is used, normally for extreme action scenes or opening/ending animations (and digital/cg generated things, obviously).

When making the e-conte (equivalent of storyboards) for a show, the episode director will usually decide which cuts to do at which level of animation.

The total number of frames of animation is determined by the budget, therefore you pick and choose to animate the more important cuts "on the 2s", etc...
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 14:23   Link #27
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Until you start bringing computers into the equation, at least. CGI rendering animation at what, 60fps?
Old 2011-07-13, 18:06   Link #28
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Sadly, if you're not Japanese in Japan -- then you can't make anime because so many people are stuck on the idea that "anime has to be made in Japan".
Probably something like: tailored for a Japanese audience or looks like anime.

The only things I have seen that are close to anime would be Danny Choo's coming anime (Chinka and Mirai Millenium). The other anime short I know done by fans would be MAIKAZE's Touhou...
Old 2011-07-14, 05:50   Link #29
bradosia
Chump

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Probably something like: tailored for a Japanese audience or looks like anime.
Yes! I think that's the most accurate definition for anime I have ever read. Yes! The difference between anime and cartoons is not where its made, but for what audience it tries to target.

Tags
anime, fan-made, making, production, user-made