AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

Old 2010-04-08, 12:38   Link #161
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
If we take this statement to extremes then there is nothing valid to write in any review. Everything a review states is subjective, like what you think of the animation or the story. So why not state why the average you give to a series is so much away from the average of the series and then take this to a broader view? Heck, might as well start by saying "my opinion of why this series has a high average is".
If you want to take it to that extreme then there's nothing stopping you but there's no reason to either. In any case why you think a review is meaningless just because it's subjective, I don't entirely understand. I haven't once come across a person that actually take a review as anything more than what a certain person that's slightly more perceptive than the average person, thinks. I, for one, have always assumed that's a given.

But what about the other extreme? Are all reviews objective then? Even though you'll eventually find two that contradict each other? That's logically impossible isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiffer View Post
actually most ppl do exactly what you are argueing against. its called "stereotypes". no scratch that, EVERYONE judges ppl on smth LESS than fact. not in ALL cases of course, but still a big portion of the time. so its nothing to be surprised about..
You're not seriously suggesting that just because lots of people do that, that makes it okay, are you?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 11:01   Link #162
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Finally got the time to watch King of Eden. That said, it's not bad but not stellar either. Definitely not as good as most of the episodes even if they have 80 minutes to work with.

One thing that was absolutely exemplary with the series was that most of the time you could cut the suspense and the tension with a knife even without guns blazing background explosions and the like. All you had were 12 people with cellphones, a shitload of money and the command to "Save Japan" or die in the process.

This is the first big problem of the film, where it only manages to capture maybe half of the pacing and suspense that made the series great. For a good third of the movie it's pretty much Saki angsty-ing around the US claiming to be looking for Akira, yet she looks so listless and directionless during most of it. Granted of course she has the right to feel that way, but for the most part it feels like a teenbopper romance subplot rather than part of the entire mystery that is once again unfolding.

On the plus side it finally sheds some light on many of the Selecao. Background of Mononobe was very much appreciated, as well as some general information on the other Selecao that have really yet to make an appearance. The biggest shocker is the info on Hiura. It completely changes for me the probable function of the Supporter and Mr. Outside, and it seems Mononobe doesn't even know about it. That and No.6 is a sick, twisted and completely fucking nuts.

To me, the movie's biggest problem was that given his renewed amnesia, they basically played out episode 2 and 3 again through the whole movie, this time nearing the end of the story. In ways the re-emergence of the romantic amnesiac subplot tends to overpower the overall story,more obvious now at the end where we expect the ball to be rolling down the hill by now. There is so much more going on now with Mononobe, Miss Johnny Cutter, the entire debacle with the Eden program and the unmasking of Ato Saizo. If this movie struck the balance between Saki and Akira's personal relationship with the entire plot of the Noblesse Oblige it would have been great, but no.

In the end it felt like 2 steps forward but 1.5 steps back. The movie's saving grace was actually an excellent cliffhanger.

Spoiler for King of Eden spoilers:

Despite it's flaws, I eagerly await for when Paradise is Lost.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-21, 10:32   Link #163
klare

watching Eden with their near perfect bg rendering is really enjoying, the movie still provide that

Spoiler for the surprise is:

i think King of Eden is ok overall, maybe we have high expectations after an excellent series, looking forward for the final movie
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 12:06   Link #164
plau

The movie was alright. Although I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked to. There are still no good versions of the movie around.
plau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 08:07   Link #165
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I have to agree with Roricofan, and it pains me to see how a series that started with such wonderful premises with such an interesting plot and original set up would turn out to have a development that can't really be taken seriously.

The disappointment from me comes from the thought of such a good material gone wasted, not for the final product itself. It's a real pity.

I still had some hopes after the tv series ending, because I thought the movie would put the story back on track, but it just confirmed the trend the series was taking and made it even worse.

Now if you never considered the potential this story had to begin with or didn't care because you just watched it for the romance aspect, then this is a very good movie. Unfortunately that isn't the case with me.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 12:51   Link #166
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Spoiler for tl;dr:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I have to agree with Roricofan, and it pains me to see how a series that started with such wonderful premises with such an interesting plot and original set up would turn out to have a development that can't really be taken seriously.

The disappointment from me comes from the thought of such a good material gone wasted, not for the final product itself. It's a real pity.

I still had some hopes after the tv series ending, because I thought the movie would put the story back on track, but it just confirmed the trend the series was taking and made it even worse.

Now if you never considered the potential this story had to begin with or didn't care because you just watched it for the romance aspect, then this is a very good movie. Unfortunately that isn't the case with me.
What romance? The guy preferred amnesia to being with the girl of his dreams.
...Plus, she was useless as a character to begin with.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 15:20   Link #167
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'm pretty sure there was some strong UST between the two.

Atleast, I remember getting strong vibes in the series and film.
Old 2010-04-29, 17:05   Link #168
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Τhe guy had her eat from the palm of his hand, invited her over to his place, impressed her with his fortune. She was obviously shaking her tail back. What went wrong other than bad storytelling?
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 02:46   Link #169
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Don't know, considering I haven't fully watched the whole of this supposedly bad storyline. Thanks for spoiling it for me though. So far all I can say is that Akira has just been a bit preoccupied.

Last edited by Haak; 2010-04-30 at 07:45.
Old 2010-05-11, 23:52   Link #170
mike.

I just finished watching the first movie, and wow, was that boring. That was just completely awful as a movie, and awful as a continuation of the series. Only one significant thing happened withing the entire 80 minutes of that.

I do not say this as a troll, but as someone who was severely disappointed by this movie. Killed any interest left in the series for me.
mike. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 00:40   Link #171
Notebook Darling

I didn't have any expectations for the movie and I must say that I enjoyed it. It was nice that they didn't rush the plot and it was a great set-up for the second movie.
Notebook Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 21:57   Link #172
BlueDo

So yeah, I didn't watch the movie until recently.
Had to rewatch some parts of the series to actually understand/remember what's going on.

Also, a few days ago I read some passages from the Catcher in the Rye, and I realized that the Merry-go-Round scene in the movie was completely referencing the book.
It even showed a sign of it at the park!
The golden ring was also talked about. It also reminded me of the part where Saki gave Akira her red hunting hat.
BlueDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-17, 05:31   Link #173
karumofin

so whens the last movie coming out?
karumofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 09:03   Link #174
Sigu

The last movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by karumofin View Post
so whens the last movie coming out?
DVD of the last movie are going to come out on 8 August in Japan.
Sigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-23, 02:11   Link #175
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notebook Darling View Post
I didn't have any expectations for the movie and I must say that I enjoyed it. It was nice that they didn't rush the plot and it was a great set-up for the second movie.
I went in exactly the same way the first time, which is probably why I enjoyed it. Finally got a chance to sit down and watch a subbed version, which helped with a lot of things I'd missed, but...some parts made me wonder if the translator had actually watched the entire movie before starting on the translation... They also seem to have worked on some of the "flat" animation that I remember seeing at the cinema.

I'm still looking forward to seeing Paradise Lost...from the general vibe here, I'm thinking it'll be similar to GITS:SAC in the sense that it deals with political and social issues in Japan that we 'outsiders' might not understand. (Typical of Production I.G. perhaps?) Unfortunately, like Haak, I'm regretting having stepped back into this thread before I got the chance to do so. Keep the spoilers under spoiler tags, please

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 16:24   Link #176
Bangirasu

Movie 2 next week in DVD, isnīt it?

Canīt wait to watch it.
Bangirasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-10, 12:37   Link #177
ViewtifulAlchemist

Hm, after I completed the original 11 episodes I was banking on the 2 movies to really push things forward and hopefully finish this series off properly with at least a decent bang instead of a whimper. The movie wasn't that bad to me, a setup for the grand finale that is 2nd movie is par for the course.

Most of the time it felt like a recap of earlier episodes.
Spoiler:

I can see how they rubbed some people off the wrong way.

I forgot how much I loved the animation and backgrounds of this series, really absorbs you into their world. The English dialog was surprisingly decent compared to other Engrish I've heard in other series. Taxi guy had lol'ing when he

Spoiler:

With the way things went down in the end of the movie, everything should (hopefully) be shifting into high gear for the next movie. It should be worth the wait.

Spoiler:

Sig by Jze0
ViewtifulAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 08:19   Link #178
Francismeunier
Banned

Thumbs up Higashi no Eden: Gekijouban II Paradise Lost

Just finished watching it and it was amazing!
Best part below!

Truly amazing that finally Saki kissed Takizawa! It was a dream come true!
This whole movie is a solid 9/10
Other comments are.......Juiz girls all look like clones almost here and here. Although I did like their high five. Brilliant escape route of Kasuga along with Itazu here. This part was the fatal clue she said to admit that Aya is indeed the mother of Takizawa! After that whatever she said did not get to me because I know she was the one. Does she ever look beautiful too here=>
Spoiler:

Only scene which I cried with Saki. She got to me pretty bad at this part......Why hello there Mr Outside! Finally we get to see much more a better view of your face. Damn he looks old. Such a cute Takizawa this here is and glad they showed him when he was younger. Interesting I liked the different color scheme of Mr. Outside's phone.....especially the color was nice. Finally nice city view! It was splendid.

Guess other things that were nice was how Yuuki shot at Mononobe at the end and he crashed assuming he is dead. Takizawa driving Juiz truck. His message to all that the old should leave the young to work. Mikuru's expression at one point and that slipper slap to Mr. Outside at the end of which I will a GIF of it later on. Also OP is fantastic!
Francismeunier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 03:13   Link #179
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Finally completed it myself, and...I think I'll be blogging about this series for a while (though I'm not quite ready to do so yet).

I have the feeling that...a lot of Western fans are or will be disappointed. The reasons will differ for everyone (e.g. you may have been expecting a more exciting finale with a simple straight answer, it may have been way too unbelievable etc).

Personally, I think the creators said what they wanted to say...and it's up to the (Japanese) viewers to take what they can from it. Other than certain things about Juiz, I felt that Higashi no Eden was actually quite a realistic depiction of what Japanese society is like today, and it's a society that's really different from any other society that I've lived in (or know about because its media is so pervasive, e.g. a number of societies in the US). I don't think their message is really intended for those of us who live outside of Japanese society and the mentality of the Japanese people.

I don't want to go further into this at present, but in response to a couple of things that were discussed/mentioned on the previous page of posts...

Spoiler:

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 14:11   Link #180
ZODDGUTS

What a dull ass movie. I already consider the TV series to be good but wasted potential but this movie ugh, what a complete waste. Can't say I'm looking forward for the final movie.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote