AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-12-21, 13:08   Link #81
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

That trailer was so awesome and its only a trailer I want to see the film NOW!
Old 2011-12-21, 19:40   Link #82
Vus
Running

Send a message via MSN to Vus
Very excited about this! Huge fan of the books, and I have always thought that Peter Jackson did a good job with the movies. Now he is working on the book that got me into the LotR universe.
Vus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 20:07   Link #83
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think Peter Jackson is going to be able to extricate the "grownup" aspects of the Hobbit from the "children's tale" quite nicely from what I see in the trailer.

And I really like the choice for the young Bilbo ... its so fitting in some ways
Old 2011-12-22, 06:17   Link #84
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

That preview was AWESOME. Cannot wait to see more.

Although, small quibble. Do Oin, Gloin, Balin and Dwalin (and a couple of the others) look a little plastic in comparison to Thorin (he seemed a little thin too!) and Kili for anyone else? They look good, but seeing them compared like that seemed to highlight it. then again I watched it like three times in a row... Enough enough nit picking, the trailer was awesome.

Spoiler for villain spoiler, mebe... for saftey.:

Its a bit facepalm worthy to see people thinking this is a sequel to LOTR, asking why Gollum is back and so on.

Last edited by Mr Hat and Clogs; 2011-12-22 at 06:31.
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-22, 09:32   Link #85
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I really shouldn't, but I can't help but have high expectations regarding Smaug.
Old 2011-12-22, 09:47   Link #86
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I wonder if they'll ever make the Silmarillion...
Old 2011-12-22, 14:41   Link #87
Aqua Knight

^
That's too grand. Also too many characters, with too much battles and complex plot,that nobody will understand unless you read a book, so you can't make big money out of it.
Old 2011-12-22, 16:05   Link #88
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I wonder if they'll ever make the Silmarillion...
I also would highly doubt it. The Silmarillion is nowhere near as widely read or known on a "pop" level as the Hobbit and the LotR trilogy.

But who knows?
Old 2011-12-22, 16:12   Link #89
Xagzan

I would love to see episodes from the Sil in live-action film, but I don't think it would lend itself well to the format. If anyone could do it, though, PJ could.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-22, 16:28   Link #90
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There's some great story in Sil... but its written in epic myth 'biblical' mode so it would require a LOT of adaptation. Also, a lot of the storylines heavily parallel LOTR (or rather LOTR storylines echo the legends) so the casual viewer might just think "wasn't this already done"...
Old 2011-12-22, 16:36   Link #91
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There's some great story in Sil... but its written in epic myth 'biblical' mode so it would require a LOT of adaptation. Also, a lot of the storylines heavily parallel LOTR (or rather LOTR storylines echo the legends) so the casual viewer might just think "wasn't this already done"...
I think they'd get the best traction if they adapted "The Children of Hurin" storyline.
Old 2011-12-22, 16:42   Link #92
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I'm heavily inclined to agree, The Silmarillion is just too much. That being said I'd love to see how Valinor, Ungoliant, Morgoth, young Sauron, the Two Trees, and Númenor, to name just a few, might look on film.

Endless "Epic" Soul
Old 2011-12-22, 17:25   Link #93
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I had the misfortune to read the Silmarillion first for a college course. I would not recommend reading it first. If you have no vested interest in the Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit, the Silmarilion reads like the Bible. I was bored because there was no meaning behind it for me. Some parts read very well, but read like something I'd already read or heard about from mythology or the Bible...so it didn't set the imagination going.

After having watched the Lord of the Rings films, I went back and poked thought the Silmarillion. When one has an interest in the world, it not only makes more sense, but you actually care about what is happening, and understand why it is this way...even if it still reads like the Bible (so in so begate so in so who begate so in so who killed this guy and married this elf and they....so on and so on).

I can't see if as a plausible movie. At least not one. Maybe a series of made for TV movies or something that takes people thought the different stories one at a time.
Old 2011-12-22, 17:30   Link #94
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I had the misfortune to read the Silmarillion first for a college course. I would not recommend reading it first. If you have no vested interest in the Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit, the Silmarilion reads like the Bible. I was bored because there was no meaning behind it for me. Some parts read very well, but read like something I'd already read or heard about from mythology or the Bible...so it didn't set the imagination going.
Haha, those are pretty much the same cautions I gave someone on another forum after my previous praise convinced them to try it out.

All I know is, I would love to see Ancalagon the Black, Melkor, the War of Wrath, the Akallabeth, etc done in live-action.

Loved Beren and Luthien too.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-22, 23:41   Link #95
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Sigh this is going to be anther 6hrs movie but ill think ill skip this one and wait for the dvd
Old 2011-12-23, 14:37   Link #96
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

May I also add that after several viewings of the trailer, there is not a doubt in my mind that these movies ( it's a two-parter, right?) will play along side the LOTR trilogy pretty much seamlessly. Jackson is about to show Lucas what a prequel is supposed to look like.

(Although, technically, The Hobbit isn't really a prequel.)
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 15:30   Link #97
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well that and this is an adaptation. Lucas was writing from scratch, more or less.
Old 2011-12-23, 17:34   Link #98
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Jackson is about to show Lucas what a prequel is supposed to look like.
/snort
Like that wod be hard!
Old 2011-12-23, 18:00   Link #99
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm just glad it will be in the same style as the Lord of the Rings. Some of the locations will be exactly the same. Some of the cast will be the same. The cinimatic style will be the same. The effects will be improvements on the originals when they aren't the same.

It hasn't been so long that all the technology has changed (aside from the use of digital 3D cameras), unlike from the difference between the first and second Star War trilogies, were there was a massive computer effects change leading to new styles of effects and other things.

Also it helps that no one had to write the Hobbit from only backstory like Lucas had to do. We, the audiance, knows pretty much what to expect from the novel, and from what we saw in the Lord of the Rings in terms of style. By the time of the Phantom Menace, we had no idea what to expect, either from the story, or from Lucas. (though I figured it out, more or less, from the very last thing you hear in the credits of that movie. The "breathing" showed me that this was all a setup for the last film.) Though I will say that I know exactly what Lucas needed to make those films better...another editor. That is what made "Star Wars" the film it was in 1977. I've seen some of the cuts Lucas had shot for use...they actually are like what we saw in the second trilogy....it was the editing that fixed the original films.

Fortunately, we don't seem to have that issue with Peter Jackson.
Old 2011-12-25, 06:56   Link #100
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

quick question.

what is LOTR "Main Battle theme"?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie