Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-06-10, 09:19   Link #181
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
I personally HATE wireless controllers.>.>
Wow didn't think I'd see people today say they didn't like wireless controllers!(the internet does indeed surprise!)
Altho I do recall alot of skeptics way back when they started rolling them out for current gen but today I don't see hate for them.

I for one could never go back to a wired controller, theres simply no freedom whatsoever and I would hate to have jerked my console outta the cabinet cause of them.

I do however share your annoyance at battery life, not a major problem but just an annoyance.
Old 2011-06-10, 10:51   Link #182
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
About the limitations of having only one controller...

I think the easiest solution without expensive change in hardware, is if they follow the example of the old school original gameboy. Link cables.

Make it so that two Wii U consoles can physically hook up with each other, so that each only has to process graphics to its own controller. Of course, that means anyone who wants multiplayer would have to have their own console per person, but at the very least people can visit their friends and play that way.

Nintendo need, badly, to solve this single controller issue. They are so close to getting a winner; I hate to see them stumble over the execution of the idea.

Oops, you beat me to it.
Making it wired won't change anything. It's a matter of the RAM, and GPU + GPU RAM. It'll have to be one monster of a console to be able to stream HD graphics into 5 screens (including the TV). If it isn't already capable, just imagine the price increase.

Anyway, nothing is set in stone yet. Once everything is finalized than bitch and moan. but only to an extent. bitch and moan hardcore after playing it yourself.

*Ahem* anyway... just a little something that I think is funny... I remember when the Wii came out... the supposed hardcores are gripping about how they don't wanna play with people in the same room, it's all about the online... now that Nintendo's focus seems more on online play, they're gripping over the opposite.

I swear, as fickle as a pregnant woman
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 13:15   Link #183
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
*Ahem* anyway... just a little something that I think is funny... I remember when the Wii came out... the supposed hardcores are gripping about how they don't wanna play with people in the same room, it's all about the online... now that Nintendo's focus seems more on online play, they're gripping over the opposite.

I must have missed that argument before, never knew people had that gripe about playing games with other people in the same room.
But I haven't seen the complaints about the opposite now with the Wii U cause it will(should) does what the Wii does just that the online is now a bonus more than anything.
Any gamer that can't see that is an idiot(I'll be somewhat blunt on that matter)

It's more people having little worries about stuff and little worries come with every new hardware in todays market whether we like it or not.

I would like say about the GAMERTAGS, I can say I wholeheartedly approve of this, I am not fond of FC at all and Gamertags is what they should be using.
Old 2011-06-10, 13:25   Link #184
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun
I for one could never go back to a wired controller, theres simply no freedom whatsoever and I would hate to have jerked my console outta the cabinet cause of them.
If the wire is long enough, it shouldn't be an issue. You don't need to move while you play, so I don't get your complain about a lack of freedom.
Quote:
Making it wired won't change anything. It's a matter of the RAM, and GPU + GPU RAM. It'll have to be one monster of a console to be able to stream HD graphics into 5 screens (including the TV).
The controller screens aren't HD, and GPU RAM isn't the problem at all, even if the screens were HD. The GPU RAM is, what, 1 GiB? Even 512 MiB wouldn't be a problem.

854 x 480 x 32 = 13117440 bytes = 12810 kiB = 12,51 MiB per frame
Old 2011-06-10, 14:09   Link #185
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
If the wire is long enough, it shouldn't be an issue. You don't need to move while you play, so I don't get your complain about a lack of freedom.
Guess I should point out, for me it gives a sense of freedom, I couldn't care if the wire is 50 feet long and I'm only sitting 20 feet away.
It's the sense of not having the controller attached to something.
Much like I prefer a wireless mouse to a wired one cause of the sense of freedom, I can move that mouse around with ease compared to wired one, even if I had a lengthy wire(in which case you don't really need for a mouse anyway)
While I don't swing my controller around madly, it's still a nice feel without the wire.

I have no idea how it is for others in that sense.
Old 2011-06-10, 14:57   Link #186
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

It's all personal preference. My big gripe is with wireless controllers is syncing issues, constant battery swapping, and if the batteries don't die, they tend to go to sleep due to inactivity when I leave for just a little bit.

Another problem I get is that my roommate and I both have an XBOX 360, and we have to sync up controllers to get certain ones set up with the right console. A couple of them aren't often perfect controllers, so we try to split them up evenly to make system links fair.

It probably helps that I'm much more of a retro gaming fan than modern gaming, so I'm used to wired controllers. Yes, I hate wire clutter, who doesn't? But if they're connected directly to the console, I never ever have problems during gameplay, and that's why I love them.

Finally, on topic, I know Nintendo can come up with something for the controllers that will allow for the best experience. Every company gets to have a couple Virtual Boys and Wiis to learn from their mistakes, and it seems like they've smartened up. I'm pretty sure they know of the expectancies and that only allowing one controller would be a waste of time, so they'll work something out.
Old 2011-06-10, 16:56   Link #187
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I have another question about external hard drives. So, USB 2.0 would be fast enough to play games from the hard drive, but you'd be better off buying a 7200 RPM hard drive rather than a 5400 RPM hard drive? That would actually matter in this case?

If a 7200 RPM external hard drive will allow you to play games with no hiccups, I'm buying one of those.

Quoting myself. >.> Anybody have an answer to this. I'd like to know. I'll appreciate it for anyone who answers.
Old 2011-06-10, 16:59   Link #188
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post

I am not one of those complainers. Hell, I hardly play with other people at all one way or another. I am just pointing out if Nintendo can't get two U controllers connected, they will lose a large chunk of their competitive edge. It would be the equivalent of only able to use one wii-mote at a time.

I want Nintendo to be successful. More choices is always good for the industry.
Old 2011-06-10, 18:34   Link #189
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:

The controller screens aren't HD, and GPU RAM isn't the problem at all, even if the screens were HD. The GPU RAM is, what, 1 GiB? Even 512 MiB wouldn't be a problem.

854 x 480 x 32 = 13117440 bytes = 12810 kiB = 12,51 MiB per frame
Source? nowhere have I seen any specs on anything on the WiiU.
Old 2011-06-10, 18:48   Link #190
Sides

Quote:
Quoting myself. >.> Anybody have an answer to this. I'd like to know. I'll appreciate it for anyone who answers.
Should not make a difference, because the USB2.0 interface would be the limiting factor, in this case. Although the HDD or flashram itself would also affect the speed.
The 360 actually allows you to install games on to USB device, provided the drive meets the required performance. The 360 has USB2.0 ports, btw.
I would go for a 7200 drive, since most of them have a PSU, which is always better than relying on the power coming out of the usb ports, for external HDDs.

PS2 has usb1.1 and ilink(firewire), wii has usb2.0, 360 got usb2.0 and ps3 uses usb2.0.

Unique FC on the 3DS isn't that bad, as you can name people how you want, on your machine. The only annoying thing is that both parties have to manually enter the codes to their machines, and you don't get a notice if being added, delete and what not.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-10, 20:18   Link #191
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Should not make a difference, because the USB2.0 interface would be the limiting factor, in this case. Although the HDD or flashram itself would also affect the speed.
The 360 actually allows you to install games on to USB device, provided the drive meets the required performance. The 360 has USB2.0 ports, btw.
I would go for a 7200 drive, since most of them have a PSU, which is always better than relying on the power coming out of the usb ports, for external HDDs.

PS2 has usb1.1 and ilink(firewire), wii has usb2.0, 360 got usb2.0 and ps3 uses usb2.0.

So, I should go with a HDD that is 7200 because most of those have a PSU. Flashram could also affect the speed...could you clarify on this? Flash ram on an external HDD? Also, if you are talking about flash ram on an external HDD, what is a good amount of it, that would improve performance?
Old 2011-06-11, 01:23   Link #192
Sides

Quote:
So, I should go with a HDD that is 7200 because most of those have a PSU. Flashram could also affect the speed...could you clarify on this? Flash ram on an external HDD? Also, if you are talking about flash ram on an external HDD, what is a good amount of it, that would improve performance?
I'm talking about usb sticks and ssd. They should have a faster access time than hdds. IRC microsoft advices against installing games on external HDDs and flash devices should be used.
Reason for getting a 7200 is not just because of the psu, but also it should have a faster access time than a 5400. Other things to look for in a HDD is the cache size.
If it is just for the Wii U, i would wait until nintendo release more data about what will be supported via those usb ports.
You can get hybrid HDDs, but iirc the performance was depending on how the OS handled the data.
Old 2011-06-11, 07:39   Link #193
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689
Every company gets to have a couple Virtual Boys and Wiis to learn from their mistakes, and it seems like they've smartened up.
The Wii is a failure, now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara
Source? nowhere have I seen any specs on anything on the WiiU.
I suggest you read the thread.
Old 2011-06-11, 07:46   Link #194
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
The Wii is a failure, now?

I suggest you read the thread.
That's not a reliable source, I mean seriously? Counting pixels of a picture of a screen? *head explodes*
Old 2011-06-11, 15:56   Link #195
Calca
Expressionless

Nintendo outdoes the competition again

http://www.dorkly.com/article/17359/...do-ever-pulled
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 13:25   Link #196
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I am not one of those complainers. Hell, I hardly play with other people at all one way or another. I am just pointing out if Nintendo can't get two U controllers connected, they will lose a large chunk of their competitive edge. It would be the equivalent of only able to use one wii-mote at a time.
I just had a look at the japanese garden tech demo on youtube, and noticed that the 2 screens (TV and pad) are actually rendering different content, meaning it will require more resources to process this. I think it is different to amd's eyefinity, because that is joining up displays to give one a bigger view. It is kind of interesting, since it looks like the U-Pad is a window to a different dimension. Similar feature was also demonstrated in the shield pose demo. To be able to support multi u-pad and 720p on a TV screen, the console itself requires at least twice the performance of a ps3/360, and a solid and high bandwidth wireless transmission technology.

Old 2011-06-13, 15:15   Link #197
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
It's all personal preference. My big gripe is with wireless controllers is syncing issues, constant battery swapping, and if the batteries don't die, they tend to go to sleep due to inactivity when I leave for just a little bit.
You should be getting that play and charge kit or something they sell for the xbox.

I don't know personally since I have a ps3, but I just have to hook it up to the console with the usb cable and it charges while i play in about under 2 hours. On the battery the controller lasts 20 to 30 or more hours depending on how hard I use it.

The lack of cord is massive freedom for me. I have a small table between the sofa and tv so occasionally we place stuff on that table. Won't do to knock over a coke or something with a twenty foot long cable. Just one reason why lack of cord is great.

PS: I prefer wired mice however, but my current setup doesn't need the mouse to move away from its position at all.
Old 2011-06-13, 16:35   Link #198
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
You should be getting that play and charge kit or something they sell for the xbox.
Bad advice, the 360 wireless controller will still use bluetooth for communication, when using the play&charge kit (usb), unlike sony's sixaxis/ds3. Meaning you will still get sync issues. I had the same problem, only reason why i got the hori ex2 pad, besides for its digipad.
Old 2011-06-13, 20:07   Link #199
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
I just had a look at the japanese garden tech demo on youtube, and noticed that the 2 screens (TV and pad) are actually rendering different content, meaning it will require more resources to process this. I think it is different to amd's eyefinity, because that is joining up displays to give one a bigger view. It is kind of interesting, since it looks like the U-Pad is a window to a different dimension. Similar feature was also demonstrated in the shield pose demo. To be able to support multi u-pad and 720p on a TV screen, the console itself requires at least twice the performance of a ps3/360, and a solid and high bandwidth wireless transmission technology.
There is a way around the restriction though.

As you know, with current Wii U the console is already rendering graphics to two screens; the controller screen and the TV.

The way to save processing power, is to make sure there are only two types of games made; one type is using the controller screen for inventory management and command issuing, so there is less rendering required than what you see on TV. The other type is to have both controllers displaying full graphics, but with the TV itself either entirely off or only used to displaying low-intensity images.

Not the ideal solution, but one that is workable. You just have to decide with any particular game, that is it going to be TV focused or controller-screen focused.
Old 2011-06-13, 21:39   Link #200
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:

Wow, didn't know this video existed. Simply Gorgeous

Tags
nintendo