AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2011-01-31, 08:02   Link #3841
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Oh wow, really?

I might pick it up then, somehow.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 17:25   Link #3842
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
English Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya will be available in June from Amazon.
Specs:

Quote:
The Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya (novel)
Nagaru Tanigawa

The original bestselling comedy novel series!
Stunning, brash, and completely clueless about her powers, Haruhi Suzumiya can make anything bend to her will. Although she doesn’t know it, she’s a goddess who has the ability to destroy the world — don’t make her mad! Luckily, she has her SOS Brigade — a club comprised of her high school’s most extraordinary
students — to keep her happy.
This fifth volume in the wildly fun and unpredictable Haruhi Suzumiya series features three short stories for Haruhi’s every mood — an endless summer, an overheated competition with the computer club, and a ski trip getaway in a dangerous blizzard!

978-0-316-03884-3
$8.99 ($9.99 CAN)
Trade Paperback
5.5” x 8.25”
240 pages
Carton Qty: 20
Coming June 2011
Baru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 18:06   Link #3843
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baru View Post
Specs:

Coming June 2011
do we have regular cover for this?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 18:24   Link #3844
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
do we have regular cover for this?
Baru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 18:25   Link #3845
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

That... logo...

Well, given what story appears in this volume, I suppose it's appropriate.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 12:36   Link #3846
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Noizi Ito designs > KyoAni designs
Hahahahaha... No.

Ito has been overrated for far too long.
Takamura Mamoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 13:12   Link #3847
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Noizi Ito designs > KyoAni designs
Hahahahaha... No.
Yeah, I disagree too, but for the life of me I can't pinpoint what makes the KyoAni ones more likable. They're...smoother? Is that a thing?

Or, perhaps it's that the KyoAni designs are the ones I associate with the anime. Because I've seen those characters animated, it's easier to believe that the images with those designs are more "real"; that is, that they're simply still frames in an active world rather than actual drawings. On the other hand, the novel artwork really does "feel like" sketches or drawings, rather than actual characters. I dunno. Maybe the KyoAni ones are simply more expressive? Maybe it's the huge eyes on the novel-style characters that turns me off, and the anime designs simply look more realistic and less stylized? Or, maybe it's that I'm just used to the original anime art. After all, I really don't like the Season 2 designs, so maybe that factors into it. But I doubt that's the whole story either, since I also like the Season 1 art a lot better than the art in many other animes, and I'm not necessarily a fan of the "realistic" designs of some animes.

Spoiler for comparison:

Can someone who knows about this sort of thing explain the technical differences between the two styles? I'm stumped.

Last edited by Gamer_2k4; 2011-02-02 at 13:22.
Gamer_2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 14:03   Link #3848
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

It's not really fair to use the older designs. Itou's style has changed allot.
Spoiler for Noiji:
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 21:29   Link #3849
D-Gold
Aurum

I have been waiting for vol 5 to come out in english.
I always liked the snow mountain syndrome arc.

I am still deciding whether to get the paperback version though since I have collected the hardcover novels so far. I may end up getting both this time around.
Old 2011-02-02, 23:23   Link #3850
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
It's not really fair to use the older designs. Itou's style has changed allot.
Spoiler for Noiji:
I like this style, although the second Haruhi kinda looks...non Haruhi if you know what I mean.
Old 2011-02-03, 11:34   Link #3851
wistfulloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Yeah, I disagree too, but for the life of me I can't pinpoint what makes the KyoAni ones more likable. They're...smoother? Is that a thing?

Or, perhaps it's that the KyoAni designs are the ones I associate with the anime. Because I've seen those characters animated, it's easier to believe that the images with those designs are more "real"; that is, that they're simply still frames in an active world rather than actual drawings. On the other hand, the novel artwork really does "feel like" sketches or drawings, rather than actual characters. I dunno. Maybe the KyoAni ones are simply more expressive? Maybe it's the huge eyes on the novel-style characters that turns me off, and the anime designs simply look more realistic and less stylized? Or, maybe it's that I'm just used to the original anime art. After all, I really don't like the Season 2 designs, so maybe that factors into it. But I doubt that's the whole story either, since I also like the Season 1 art a lot better than the art in many other animes, and I'm not necessarily a fan of the "realistic" designs of some animes.

Spoiler for comparison:

Can someone who knows about this sort of thing explain the technical differences between the two styles? I'm stumped.
Yeah, those were some old designs from Ito. They certainly are not the unique Haruhi animation we've come to expect, but Ito worked with Tanigawa for the illustrations, so they are at least (pre-anime) what the author would have wanted Haruhi to look like.

Anyway those designs are not uniqe to Haruhi, quite a few novel illustrations have that similar cartoonish, light-hearted feel, Toradora comes to mind.

Spoiler for Did some one say cross arms?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySyler View Post
I like this style, although the second Haruhi kinda looks...non Haruhi if you know what I mean.
You're right, never seen her wear that outfit before...
Oh but if you're talking about the bottom right picture, that's Asakura actually.
wistfulloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-03, 23:50   Link #3852
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

No, not Asakura. I meant the second picture, on my touch screen it's the second from the top.

Also, why is it that newer styles are less "cartoony"? Especially in animus like Kanon to Kanon 2006, and Kyoto Animations older stuff verses newer. I guess its just evolution of style, but I could be wrong.
Old 2011-02-04, 02:36   Link #3853
Grahf616
High Saint of Asakuraism
*Author

The outfit Haruhi's wearing in the second picture is the summer outfit for Kouyouen, so it's never actually seen in the anime, nor anywhere else really. I suppose that it might show up in Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu eventually, but we're still in winter outfits in that one.
Old 2011-02-04, 07:56   Link #3854
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Kadokawa updated their special site for the Haruhi series today. A 1 day extension of the trailer going around Akiba, mention of an ad last Saturday in the Yomuri newspaper, a digital poster placed in the Akiba Japan Rail station, and reference to the Sneaker February releases video on Kadokawa's Youtube channel were updated in the news portion of the site. The Surprise special site is still under development.

Next week they will reveal part of the 64 page color booklet to be included with the first press edition of Surprise.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 10:44   Link #3855
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySyler View Post
No, not Asakura. I meant the second picture, on my touch screen it's the second from the top.

Also, why is it that newer styles are less "cartoony"? Especially in animus like Kanon to Kanon 2006, and Kyoto Animations older stuff verses newer. I guess its just evolution of style, but I could be wrong.
Maybe it's the same reason that everything in America is getting a "gritty reboot" these days. =P "Real" sells now.

As for this particular anime, I'd argue that Ito's drawings are less cartoony because she's getting better. And as for the show itself, well, the second season stuff is (IMO) much more cartoony than the first season, so you'll have to give more examples before you can consider your point made.
Old 2011-02-04, 14:12   Link #3856
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:

Spoiler for comparison:

Heh... The two different Mikuru Claus pictures arguably prove my point. Ito's version is much more dynamic, giving a better impression of the motion involved, while the KyoAni version is fairly flat and boring. I freely admit that Ito's Disappearance!Asakura looks like ass by comparison, but the Disappearance movie improved on Asakura in more ways than just appearance, and I've frankly never been a big fan of Ito's take on her.

Of course, that's what it all comes down to, is personal stylistic preference. If you're not yet burnt out on the generic K-on style of moe, chances are you prefer the anime version, since they're fairly inextricably linked. Haruhi S1 is a blend of the Ito illustrations and generic Key designs, K-on anime is a blend of the K-on manga and Haruhi S1 designs, and Haruhi S2 (and to a lesser degree Disappearance) vaccilate between S1 designs and the unholy S1/K-on anime hybrid most apparent during E8.
Old 2011-02-04, 14:16   Link #3857
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

The image looks without motion cause it's just one individual frame. The motion comes from lots of other frames.

Noizi's illustration is designed to convey motion in one frame. That's why it looks better in just one glance over.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 14:22   Link #3858
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

to me in depend on character.

Ito haruhi > anime haruhi
!to mikuru < anime mikuru
Ito yuki = anime yuki

Ito haruhi more cute while in anime haruhi have bitch-ish fell
!to mikuru is too cute and idiot to the point it feel uncanny. anime mikuru tone this a little
both Ito yuki and anime yuki gives nice feeling of emotionless. (prefer ito alternate!yuki compare to anime one because the anime version is simply yuki with mikuru dash)

Old 2011-02-04, 14:42   Link #3859
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Ito Yuki looks more alien because of her head shape, IMO. It's consistently a weird horizontal oval, instead of being round like the other girls'.
Old 2011-02-04, 15:17   Link #3860
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Ito Yuki looks more alien because of her head shape, IMO. It's consistently a weird horizontal oval, instead of being round like the other girls'.
isn't both of them have same face shape

Spoiler for spoiler pic:

damn its hard to find non alternate yuki on surprised so decide to put big picture instead

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga