AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-01-25, 14:00   Link #361
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Having now seen a Chinese sub, I realize I got something wrong.
Spoiler for ep4:
I think the flashbacks are suggesting that Touya and Yuki really did play together as kids, but he has forgotten altogether and only remembers Haruka.

In some ways, Touya seems like a jerk, but I think I can see why he is attractive to women: he really likes women, and thinks of them as goddesses. Even twintails. So they do become goddesses to him: Yuki, Rina, Haruka, Misaki, twintails-- all have done good things for him. [see apr's following post for various corrections: Yuki is his "everyday," rather than a goddess. I thought she was his everyday goddess, but apparently not.]

If anyone wants to hear Hirano sing something completely different quite well, try this jazzy scat song (audio via YouTube). But I'm not going to claim she's the most professional singer around. She's getting better and better, but she's no Nana. That's part of why she does songs that don't require a perfect voice. The other part is that she prefers rougher-edged, more punky music. I can remember her specifically praising only two singers in her blog: Avril Lavigne and Shiina Ringo.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-01-25 at 19:06.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-25, 14:13   Link #362
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Really? I didn't find it confusing

Spoiler:
-In fact, probably the easiest episode to understand...

-What are you asking for for what year...? The story doesn't take place in the 2000s or anything...

-So it wasn't my imagination...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
he really likes women, and thinks of them as goddesses.
Uwaa... Playboy. (Kyaa~, ecchi~)

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-25, 14:15   Link #363
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
In some ways, Touya seems like a jerk, but I think I can see why he is attractive to women: he really likes women, and thinks of them as goddesses. Even Mana. So they do become goddesses to him: Yuuki, Rina, Haruka, Misaki, Mana -- all have done good things for him.
Um.
Spoiler:
Anyway, it's Yuki, with one 'u'.

Edit: I just realized that mentioning Mana's features is a spoiler.
Old 2009-01-25, 20:24   Link #364
anyme

At first, I watched this anime and felt the True tears atmosphere ( first 3 EPs).
After I finished 4th EP, it's like Harem atmosphere.
anyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 07:51   Link #365
Mentar
Banned

Aaah... say what you want, I really loved the wistful-melancholy atmosphere throughout the episode. Some people complain about the BGM for some reason, but I thought that the anime set the mood very nicely.

Spoiler:

PS: I don't remember when the last time I felt seriously emotionally invested in a show without a clear person I was rooting for. The anime DOES keep us at arms' length. Quite interesting.

Last edited by Mentar; 2009-01-26 at 08:13.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 10:07   Link #366
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
In some ways, Touya seems like a jerk
Mind if i ask why? I've seen the first four episodes like you have, and nothing he's done has made me think that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Some people complain about the BGM for some reason, but I thought that the anime set the mood very nicely.
Indeed, it's been a very impressive score so far. Especially like the piece used in the last scene. Very powerful --- worked perfectly with the scene.
Old 2009-01-26, 11:49   Link #367
cyth
Banned

Is this show supposed to be one cour long? If so, the creators aren't very smart. Assuming we're two DVDs in and 100 EUR poorer, it's depressing that the story still hasn't made it clear in what direction it's heading. I already feel like I'm chewing on a damp towel. Knowing this to be two cour long would make me spit it out.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 12:59   Link #368
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
Is this show supposed to be one cour long? If so, the creators aren't very smart. Assuming we're two DVDs in and 100 EUR poorer, it's depressing that the story still hasn't made it clear in what direction it's heading. I already feel like I'm chewing on a damp towel. Knowing this to be two cour long would make me spit it out.
Yes it is. Four DVD/Blu-ray release is scheduled (3 episodes each) with a 7,350 Yen price tag, I don't think they're not very smart.
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 13:55   Link #369
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This show is a complex fabric of many threads. The question is whether they will be able to pull it all together into a coherent whole as they resolve the threads. But unlike Toua, I am enjoying every minute of the fuzzy complexity and lack of definition. Of course, I loved Touka Gettan, too.

Various threads:
Yuki and Touya: Is Touya drifting away from Yuki, as he sees her more and more occupied by her career? Does he feel inferior or left behind? Does he think of her as inferior and have trouble accepting her seeming to rise above him? Does she offer herself to him out of a fear that he is drifting, or just a fear that her career is going to make it even more impossible to meet? Is their love a hollow shell of teenage habit, rather than a deep relationship?
Rina and Yuki: Is Rina really a friend, or is she just trying to manoeuver Yuki into the best situation for being a success for the company? Is she somehow after Touya, if only to prove to herself her attractiveness? Or is she manipulating him in some way for the good of the company?
Rina and Eiji: Is there a competitive dynamic going on there?
Touya and Haruka, Touya and Misaki, Touya and Mana.
Yuki's career: Would she be willing to abandon Touya for the sake of the career?

All those loose threads of subplot keep me wondering and speculating and sympathizing with the feelings of all concerned.

As for Touya seeming a bit like a jerk, Shiroth, the things I'm thinking of are things like (1) the way he puts down but does not end things with Haruka, (2) the way he kept trying to pass on the poetry books Misaki wanted to loan him, (3) the way he was so vague about when and where to meet, and did not try to solve the problem himself but enlisted another goddess, (4) the way he is not inwardly committed to Yuki, but wondering about Rina, even though he continues to be Yuki's boyfriend. Things like that. I'm not saying he's a bad person. Most of those things seem fairly normal. But they are jerk-like, to me. As we all are, sometimes. He is a pretty good everyman, for me. I don't hate him. He just reminds me of the Baudelaire quote I've been remembering a lot recently: "Hypocrite reader, you who are like me, my brother." (French: Hypocrite lecteur, mon semblable, mon frere.)
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-01-26 at 23:07.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 14:28   Link #370
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirn View Post
Yes it is. Four DVD/Blu-ray release is scheduled (3 episodes each) with a 7,350 Yen price tag, I don't think they're not very smart.
I'm not exactly sure whether you intended your double-negative or not. In any event, as I said before, I think releasing the show on 4 discs instead of the more usual 6 or 7 was actually a good move, and the price is pretty par for the course for Japanese anime Blu-Ray (DVDs are 1000 Yen cheaper). But, of course, this is the sort of show where you'd probably expect that people are either already familiar with the franchise, or already saw it on TV before investing in the media. Plus, there's always renting before buying. (And P.S., the last disc will contain 4 episodes, so assuming the tension ratchets up near the end, at least you won't have to wait for the next volume to see how it all ends.)
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 15:25   Link #371
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

ooh, i knew there were ill intentions with Rina calling. Rina suggested telling Touya to go early to make up for his occasional lateness, giving no indication to Yuki that she wanted to steal him away first. A small blip, but snowballed into the two of them missing each other for the whole day.

I also think that Touya has some jerk qualities. He seems to forget important milestones in his and Yuki's past together, and he doesn't find it at all suspicious that Rina is trying to do all those things for them. I know that possibility crosses his mind this ep, but anyone with any light in their brain would be suspicious first, accepting second. Plus he inadvertently "slapped" Yuki when he didn't remember that the two of them had met at the location of her current residence.

I commend Yuki for trying to salvage their relationship, because it seems as though Touya is once again taking it for granted. Its definitely implied that they had sex, but i was a little disappointed they didn't at least visualize it in some way or form like they did in Kare Kano.

I hope they can just weed out the side stories soon and focus on the two that really matter.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 15:33   Link #372
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
As for Toua seeming a bit like a jerk, Shiroth, the things I'm thinking of are things like (1) the way he puts down but does not end things with Haruka, (2) the way he kept trying to pass on the poetry books Misaki wanted to loan him, (3) the way he was so vague about when and where to meet, and did not try to solve the problem himself but enlisted another goddess, (4) the way he is not inwardly committed to Yuki, but wondering about Rina, even though he continues to be Yuki's boyfriend. Things like that. I'm not saying he's a bad person. Most of those things seem fairly normal. But they are jerk-like, to me. As we all are, sometimes. He is a pretty good everyman, for me. I don't hate him. He just reminds me of the Baudelaire quote I've been remembering a lot recently: "Hypocrite reader, you who are like me, my brother." (French: Hypocrite lecteur, mon semblable, mon frere.)
Well you've just said you don't see him as a bad person, so i'm fine with that. Still even with your points mentioned, i don't see him as a jerk, though that's just where we are all different.
Old 2009-01-26, 16:11   Link #373
Mentar
Banned

Hmm, I think I have to disagree on many counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
ooh, i knew there were ill intentions with Rina calling. Rina suggested telling Touya to go early to make up for his occasional lateness, giving no indication to Yuki that she wanted to steal him away first. A small blip, but snowballed into the two of them missing each other for the whole day.
I don't really see this intention of "stealing away" yet. If that's what she really wanted, why would she bother to mention to herself that "She wouldn't mind me borrowing him for a bit, right?" - if she really wanted to put the moves on him, why would she bother about what Yuki might be okay with it? Methinks she's curious and wants to play around with Yuki's belonging a bit, but not "steal" him away.

Quote:
I also think that Touya has some jerk qualities. He seems to forget important milestones in his and Yuki's past together, and he doesn't find it at all suspicious that Rina is trying to do all those things for them.
Hm. I'd be careful about the "forgetting milestones" part - we only know that Yuki and him are not in synch about where they first met, THAT alone isn't a capital crime in my book. And - as I said before - I do think that Rina is currently making her efforts for the sake of _Yuki_. This may change, but so far I see no romantic interest from Rina's side - yet.

Quote:
I know that possibility crosses his mind this ep, but anyone with any light in their brain would be suspicious first, accepting second. Plus he inadvertently "slapped" Yuki when he didn't remember that the two of them had met at the location of her current residence.
Same as before. It seems that Yuki's memories go back to meeting a guy in shadows here (so we don't know for sure whether or not it's Touya), but he can't remember. Is this really such a major crime? ^_^;

Quote:
I commend Yuki for trying to salvage their relationship, because it seems as though Touya is once again taking it for granted.
Objection, your honor. Yuki doesn't even REALIZE that their relationship is in danger. The reason she gave for her suggestion was that SHE wanted to "feel", not "dream". This is about her, not him. Not about "them" either.

Quote:
Its definitely implied that they had sex, but i was a little disappointed they didn't at least visualize it in some way or form like they did in Kare Kano.
I don't think so. A brooding Touya is still fully dressed, and sitting on the cleanly made (and thus unused) bed. The way I see it, Yuki is showering in preparation for it. So, the deed's not done yet.

Quote:
I hope they can just weed out the side stories soon and focus on the two that really matter.
Hmmm... I'd say that it's the side stories which are going to drive the eventual development in the main pairings. They're putting pieces on the chessboard to move later.
Old 2009-01-26, 16:26   Link #374
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

mentar, i officially quit this show :P

i knew i should not have tried to analyze anime after 5 hours of straight classes...
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 16:41   Link #375
Mentar
Banned

Oi, I sure hope you're only kidding ^_^;

I mean, I may be perfectly wrong, I know nothing more than you do. Just tried to point out where I came to different conclusions.
Old 2009-01-26, 16:48   Link #376
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Objection, your honor. Yuki doesn't even REALIZE that their relationship is in danger. The reason she gave for her suggestion was that SHE wanted to "feel", not "dream". This is about her, not him. Not about "them" either.
Yuki mentions wanting it to be "unforgettable", which leads me to believe that she's bothered by their real first meeting being so insignificant to him that he doesn't even remember it, making her willing to move their relationship to the next level ahead of time, just to make a proper mark in his life. Before it's too late.

Alternatively, Yuki never actually joined Haruka and Touya when they were playing as kids. She just hung around in the same area, not daring to close in. Maybe she dreamt of being part of that group?
Old 2009-01-26, 17:25   Link #377
prototype_sky

There is a very high chance of either Rina or Yuki's manager showing up and breaking up their little party or Touya chickening out.
prototype_sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 17:38   Link #378
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
Yuki mentions wanting it to be "unforgettable", which leads me to believe that she's bothered by their real first meeting being so insignificant to him that he doesn't even remember it, making her willing to move their relationship to the next level ahead of time, just to make a proper mark in his life. Before it's too late.
Hmm, possibly so. Or - what I suspect - it might be their first time ever. Which would explain Touma's thoughts about Yuki "rushing" it. If they had been sleeping with each other before, why would he use the word "rush" now?
Old 2009-01-26, 17:40   Link #379
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Hmm, possibly so. Or - what I suspect - it might be their first time ever. Which would explain Touma's thoughts about Yuki "rushing" it. If they had been sleeping with each other before, why would he use the word "rush" now?
Yuki's line is enough to make me believe that they haven't slept with each other yet, though i do think there may be a reason why she's suddenly brought it on. If not, then it's her feelings that are taking control, and that i see nothing wrong with.
Old 2009-01-26, 17:41   Link #380
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Sorry, you're misreading my post. First meeting, not first sexual experience. At this point they don't seem to have made love yet, so once she steps out of that shower it's party time. Until they're interrupted, obviously.

Meeting as in the flashback to when they were kids.

Tags
drama, eroge, romance, seinen