AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-05, 16:49   Link #301
RedWing

I can hardly believe that in 2011 anime series like this are still being made. I had honestly thought we'd gone beyond unimaginative, garden-variety nonsense, that has nothing to add. Whoever funded this has no standards at all.
RedWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 16:56   Link #302
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing View Post
I can hardly believe that in 2011 anime series like this are still being made. I had honestly thought we'd gone beyond unimaginative, garden-variety nonsense, that has nothing to add. Whoever funded this has no standards at all.
lol honestly I don't understand people when they start saying it like this. For me Anime = entertainment and if it's entertaining then it's doing it's job well done and so far. The whole setting is fun.
Old 2011-04-05, 17:04   Link #303
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Since when did anime get funded based on how inspired they are? Anyway, it's not like 2011 is more significant than 2008 or 2009 or 2010. Generic things like this are going to be around forever.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 18:12   Link #304
Sekirei07

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Since when did anime get funded based on how inspired they are? Anyway, it's not like 2011 is more significant than 2008 or 2009 or 2010. Generic things like this are going to be around forever.
But this is coming from the people who made Nanoha! They took a generic side character from an H-game and made her into an iconic figure for the magical girl genre and boldly mixed magic and technology and science into something that at the time had not been very well developed.

Everything about this series has been done somewhere else in some other series in a more captivating way. We have all the right to expect better from them.

Is it honestly wrong to have expectations from those that have delivered something good to do it again?
Old 2011-04-05, 18:25   Link #305
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekirei07 View Post
But this is coming from the people who made Nanoha! They took a generic side character from an H-game and made her into an iconic figure for the magical girl genre and boldly mixed magic and technology and science into something that at the time had not been very well developed.

Everything about this series has been done somewhere else in some other series in a more captivating way. We have all the right to expect better from them.

Is it honestly wrong to have expectations from those that have delivered something good to do it again?
Except the first episode of Nanoha was just as generic as this. An average character randomly encounters a strange situation and is infodumped as to what is going on. In my opinion, it took a couple of episodes for Nanoha to take off. Plus, it's not like good staff making an anime that failed expectations hasn't happened before [for me, this was Angel Beats and its ridiculous hype].

Even though I enjoyed the first episode of Dog Days, I can't see it as anything more than an average anime that a studio and its sponsors are creating for a safe way of generating income. Is it that hard to believe that people create such anime?

Edit: Also, I'm not saying it's wrong to be excited for an anime due to its staff and be disappointed. I'm just surprised at RedWing's idea that generic anime should cease to exist by 2011. It's fine that you were disappointed, and you have every right to be. My point is that these things will happen.

Last edited by OceanBlue; 2011-04-05 at 18:35.
Old 2011-04-05, 18:38   Link #306
Seiryuu

I glanced at this at first and thought it looked interesting. Then later, when I had the time I sat down to really watch it.

I've found I can't watch this from one end to the other. I always find myself stopping and chuckling lightly while muttering about how utterly ridiculous this is. Especially with the build-up. It's like a "horror" story where a hideous beast chases the hero, constantly growing closer no matter what the hero does to stop him, finally lunges at him, hits him on the head and yells "Tag, you're it!"

I'll keep trying to watch this for a bit, if only to follow my policy of giving anything I try at least 3 eps to redeem itself in one way or another.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 18:50   Link #307
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Which is not as original as you might think, plus that H-game had two decent adaptions (considering budget and experience).

Quote:

But otherwise I tend to agree, this show is just for LULZ (judging by its first episode only), not a bad thing as long as it comes from some studio that does it consistently and effectively (KyoAni, Sunrise, BONES)
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 20:15   Link #308
Sage Shinigami

Send a message via AIM to Sage Shinigami Send a message via Yahoo to Sage Shinigami
Quote:
That's three sentences that told us nothing about what specifically you disliked about the show. What exactly is unimaginative about this? How is it garden variety? I watch a LOT of anime and look into every series each season, and I haven't seen ANYTHING like this in anime in ages.

If you don't LIKE it? Cool. Calling it garden variety is lazy though.
Sage Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 21:33   Link #309
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
I think I know where you're coming from, actually, but my counter is this:

There's plenty of dark, cynical, philosophical, satirical, and deathly serious animes out there.

What's wrong with an anime or two that's just trying to be good, easy, upbeat, unoffensive fun? Does every anime need to be dark, cynical, philosophical, satirical, and/or deathly serious? I think I'd dislike that extreme almost as much as I would the opposite extreme (albeit for very different reasons).

I don't see a big problem with the occasional lighthearted fantasy tale that's just good, happy, upbeat fun. I may tire of it eventually (just as I can tire of sweets), but for now, it's good.
Old 2011-04-05, 23:12   Link #310
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I understand completely... I used to be a teenager too, eventually I out-grow the need for everything to be dark and grim and a reflection of my broken, black soul.

That said, I've figured out the solution- It's all a matter of perspective, people come in seeing fights and expect something nasty. But if everything goes according to prediction, why not watch this show like Baka test? It is a 'war' with nobody getting hurt, there are technically fight scenes, and I don't see anyone complaining that nobody died in baka test because they're expecting a comedy series.

So instead of the school hallway and avatars, we have... Wide open fields and keimonomimi.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 01:07   Link #311
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Some generic anime
Producer: Lets make an anime, pick a teenager, make him the MC and developed him as an emo kid! And throw him into some dark middle age war! We can have him rage every episodes about everything.
(after Ep 1 )
Viewer: WTF.. Moar emo MC.. WTF lame ... WTF the backstory so dark .. WTF its so generic .. WTF bla bla bla

Dog Days
Producer: Lets make an anime, pick a teenager, make him the MC and developed him as over enthuastic kid! And throw him into some war! but the war is a bit like fun tournament .. and no one dies
(after ep 1)
[i]Viewer:[i] WTF where's mah emo MC? WTF so lame .. WTF more moeblob .... WTF generic anime like ... (urm, I dunno, when is the last time we had this kind of anime?)... like .. i dunno, but its 2011.. we cant have this sort generic anime that I dont like.. I want dark anime.. and emo MC, so I can rage like him every week!

=.=
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 01:15   Link #312
Taufiq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
Some generic anime
Producer: Lets make an anime, pick a teenager, make him the MC and developed him as an emo kid! And throw him into some dark middle age war! We can have him rage every episodes about everything.
(after Ep 1 )
Viewer: WTF.. Moar emo MC.. WTF lame ... WTF the backstory so dark .. WTF its so generic .. WTF bla bla bla

Dog Days
Producer: Lets make an anime, pick a teenager, make him the MC and developed him as over enthuastic kid! And throw him into some war! but the war is a bit like fun tournament .. and no one dies
(after ep 1)
[i]Viewer:[i] WTF where's mah emo MC? WTF so lame .. WTF more moeblob .... WTF generic anime like ... (urm, I dunno, when is the last time we had this kind of anime?)... like .. i dunno, but its 2011.. we cant have this sort generic anime that I dont like.. I want dark anime.. and emo MC, so I can rage like him every week!

=.=
You pointed exactly what's wrong with today's anime fanbase.
Old 2011-04-06, 01:16   Link #313
nines
I much prefer the 2d

Anyone else get bugged when they were saying Biscotii?

The idea of a war based off of what seems to be urban ninja gymnastic stuff is kind of dumb but it looks to be a fun anime lol can't wait to see where this heads.
Old 2011-04-06, 02:00   Link #314
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
My god guys, it is not even about GRIMDARK and being shown a medieval mud world where mud farmers farms mud to eat mud and trade mud while half of the population dies of smallpox and black plague; if I wanted this, I would be playing Warhammer the Fantasy Role Playing Game instead of Dungeons & Draongs (3.5 or ADD2), and Warhammer adds chaos, heretics and witch hunters that makes everyone's life miserable. While in Dungeons & Dragons, I can pretend that most of my notable princesses, she-warriors in chainmail bikini or not, sorceresses, priestesses and tavern ladies in my homebrew world seems to be buxoms babes that seems to be pulled out of an eroge by G.J and designed by Sano Toshihide, and add the lolis wise beyond the years or the dragons who turns into ladies for no other reason than hanging out with the adventurers to have fun for balancing it out. Also, badass old guys who wrestles demons to the death, FABULOUS fencers fighting with rapiers and taunt their foes then steal a kiss during a bar brawl, pirates who steal the gold from mighty empires and nerdy sorcerers who have yet to discover the world.

It's about having a potential interest in the fantasy world and its possible tensions and/or conflict. So far the only pull for me is the character designs, because the conflict here could at best be described as A Winnie The Pooh Epic sans the epic. And as for "Modern world human transported in another world", people with a little more discernment will not stop at comparing it with Now and Then, Here and There or The Twelve Kingdoms. People like me want the world and the characters to be engaging. Which is what the two aforementioned anime are, and for all of its faults, Utawarerumono managed to be compelling as well. You know more effort have to be made when there is more effort put behind the mooks of Thundercats than those in Dog Days.

Last edited by Sheba; 2011-04-06 at 02:59. Reason: I meant Thundercats not Cosmocats
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 02:04   Link #315
DummyInc

its been some time for yui horie animes
Old 2011-04-06, 02:39   Link #316
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
It's about having a potential interest in the fantasy world and its possible tensions and/or conflict. So far the only pull for me is the character designs, because the conflict here could at best be described as A Winnie The Pooh Epic sans the epic.
I agree with this. I think the draw in this episode was supposed to be Shinku gearing up and dazzling the stage. The problem is that there's no tension because we don't really have a reason to care about them winning or a pressing want to see Shinku tear up a battlefield. Personally, I don't even think it has to do with the setting. Replace it with a war-torn battlefield, and I still wouldn't find reason to care about Shinku changing the tide of the battle.

That being said, it's only been one episode. I want to see if it'll find its stride, so I'll wait and see what happens next.
Old 2011-04-06, 03:16   Link #317
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
I agree with this. I think the draw in this episode was supposed to be Shinku gearing up and dazzling the stage. The problem is that there's no tension because we don't really have a reason to care about them winning or a pressing want to see Shinku tear up a battlefield. Personally, I don't even think it has to do with the setting. Replace it with a war-torn battlefield, and I still wouldn't find reason to care about Shinku changing the tide of the battle.
I haven't check anything about Dog Days before watching it. So I'm not expecting anything. I just like the picture shown in the anime for this season.

I also agree with this. From the first few minutes I had the feeling that the hero is needed to save the country from the invading forces. But showing Shinku in merry style change it but I thought that maybe it's a setting that if his been send to another world. It will break him up. But soon after his been summoned and the battle field is shown. I expect nothing anymore. It will be just an ordinary show that needs to be watch with brains off mode. Though while the whole war thing is happening. The princess explains that they need to win it. OR otherwise her countrymen will get overtaken and poverty will rise. But I don't even see that coming with the whole setting of what's happening. For now I don't see the enemy as a real threat and a bunch of people that will do harm to your country. And maybe that's because of the method of the war.

Shinku agreeing it like an enthusiastic boy with new playing field doesn't also adds up the tension. Plus his entrance also doesn't do much good. It looks like his entering a big show but not a real war...... so I will just ignore the whole war setting and just imagine him as the last guardian in takeshi's castle.
Old 2011-04-06, 05:10   Link #318
Seiryuu

Good grief, why does complaining about the show's lack of seriousness equate with a desire to have grim, dark and ugly instead? Most fantasies I like are in the middle, there's good and bad wherever you look. It doesn't have to be a dark, depressing, emo thing for a "threat" to be a little threatening. I don't think I've seen anything where a "hero" is dragged from another world to save a people from losing-streak blues. At least they could have had something real at stake in the "war", like a piece of land or something.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 05:25   Link #319
dragon132004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
Good grief, why does complaining about the show's lack of seriousness equate with a desire to have grim, dark and ugly instead? Most fantasies I like are in the middle, there's good and bad wherever you look. It doesn't have to be a dark, depressing, emo thing for a "threat" to be a little threatening. I don't think I've seen anything where a "hero" is dragged from another world to save a people from losing-streak blues. At least they could have had something real at stake in the "war", like a piece of land or something.

It's only been one episode. They've established the premise, I kind of want to see what they do with it now. we'll have to wait and see more episodes... And first and foremost the important thing here is that this anime is directed towards the Japanese audience before anything else.. So it depends on what their anime markets have now. I will watch it and see how it will go and I think its a nice refreshing before the other dark shows start airing you know like the Deadman Wonderland.
dragon132004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 05:35   Link #320
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon132004 View Post
It's only been one episode. They've established the premise, I kind of want to see what they do with it now. we'll have to wait and see more episodes...
Agreed, all we've seen is one episode, they still have at least 11 episodes left. That's still plenty of time for things to go awry and stakes are raised to make it more dangerous. For instance, there's been theories that there probably will be a third faction that won't play by the rules and can kill, or something like that. It probably won't be as dark as, say, Madoka, but I seriously doubt we're going to see a full season of Takeshi Castle game show. It could, but I'm still optimistic that Nanoha writers can do better than that.

Tags
ecchi, fantasy, harem, shonen