AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-09-05, 19:20   Link #1
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Top wo Nerae 2! (AKA GunBuster 2)

About 15 years had to pass while fans were screaming out aloud for a sequel to GAINAX classic GUNBUSTER, but finally the sequel is coming this fall.

GAINAX proudly has opened up GunBuster: Top o Nerae 2 webpage.
You can have look at the full place here.
Top 2

It also includes a 90 sec. teaser trailer for what's coming up in the sequel.

According to the site, GunBuster 2 is going to be released as OVA format.
Not sure how many OVA episodes, though.

The first OVA will be released officially November 26th, 2004 in Japan.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-05, 22:38   Link #2
hooliganj
Team Player

Hmm.. I'm not so sure I like the character designs being brought up-to-date. One of the links in the news section goes to a page about the remastered DVD release of the original OVA. You can really see the difference 15 years has brought to Gainax.

Nevertheless, I hold high hopes. Gunbuster was one of the greats, and it would be great if the sequel lives up to it's name.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-06, 05:27   Link #3
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Top wo Nerae 2!

http://www.top2.jp/ - http://www.gainax.co.jp/anime/top2/

Episode 1 finally out from Gainax. Anyone fansubbing this or watching? ^^

Well it's been a while since I saw FLCL and I'm really glad they bring those style and quality back, I love those. The main character Nono is funny and entertaining. She has that strange hair that move on it's own. I really like how the bar has chairs for the big mechas, it was quite interesting seeing them sitting down. ^^

And the scooter is back. ^^

Spoiler for screenshots ep 1:

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-10-06 at 05:41. Reason: Threads merged. First: it hasn't been fansubbed so what the heck are you doing creating a thread in "Fansubs." Second: Please Search!!!
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-06, 05:38   Link #4
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

they are really going WAY over the top with Top wo Nerae 2 The first episode is full of crazy parody and crazy action... I guess it's still too early to tell anything about the story (the original Gunbuster gets REALLY great in the last two episodes) but this is definitely quite fun to watch... although whether it will live up to the immortal Gunbuster name, it's hard to tell yet...

For the new Buster Machines... and the space fight scenes... I can only
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-08, 15:13   Link #5
katsuragi

I watched this 7 times in a row and working on sub right now...
but Im subbing for my friends, so I don't think that I'll upload it
( not professional as other funsub groups... Ill rather 'not' upload if other ppl are just gonna say "wtf is wrong with this crappy sup" )

btw, 1st ep DID KICK SOME ASS o.O
glad to see Kazuya Tsurumaki's FLCL-ish action
+homages, parodies, puns, etc.....

a lot of old fans think this is a crappy little average anime (because its character design is different and Noriko does not exist anymore), but I think it followed 'Top1' very well; since staffs said they were making the sequal of 'Top1's ideas and concept'...such as: "Commemoration, Homage, Parody and etc"

and... this have NOTHING to do with 'Gunbuster,' which means it can't be called as "Gunbuster2"

Gunbuster is the secondary title of 'Top wo Nerae1' ... and this anime is a sequal of 'Top1' not 'Gunbuster'... there are some significant differences =)

actually, if someone wants to call it 'Gunbuster2,' just call it 'Diebuster'

gosh..... I can't wait for another 3 months =/
katsuragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-08, 16:29   Link #6
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

well, that's what happens when the secondary title becomes too famous I guess...

Not to mention I think the official english title for the original Top wo Nerae! Gunbuster is just Gunbuster... so I guess if this series got licensed somehow it will most likely have its english title as Gunbuster 2

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-10-08 at 16:39.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-09, 17:29   Link #7
Kensuke

Hurrah! Lunar released episode 1.
dl: 15 kb/s
ul: 50 kb/s
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 09:08   Link #8
outlaw97

Being a fan of the original (I believe it was the 3rd anime title I watched when I first got into the genre), I have mixed reactions about this.

My biggest gripe is that the original Gunbuster went out of its way to explain the science behind the concepts in the show - towards the end, it gets into some pretty hard-core sci-fi. With Top o Nerai 2, I get the feeling they're going to forgo a lot of the science in favor of trademark FLCL stylish action.

Ultimately it's just a minor gripe though, and it means I'll simply have to judge the show on its own merits. I was glad that they used music from the original Gunbuster though, and one of the scenes with Nono is a direct homage to the first ep of the original as well.
outlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 14:28   Link #9
Painless

Spoiler:

Looks like this should be entertaining. I usually avoid series with this much fanservice, but here it was so over the top that it was actually pretty funny.
Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 21:51   Link #10
Za Paper

Man, I am so dissapointed. I was hoping for some resemblance to the original but Gunbuster 2 lost all its sci-fi elements and turned into a freakish FLCL-like show... and I hated FLCL. Also the I didnt like the "in your face" parody.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 22:54   Link #11
Lunchboxx

Send a message via AIM to Lunchboxx Send a message via MSN to Lunchboxx Send a message via Yahoo to Lunchboxx
Ok Ive never seen the original gun buster , but this looks intresting. Do I need see the first one to know whats going on here?
Lunchboxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 23:50   Link #12
Evirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchboxx
Ok Ive never seen the original gun buster , but this looks intresting. Do I need see the first one to know whats going on here?
Based on the first episode, it does not appear as if prior knowledge of the original series is strictly necessary.

Nevertheless, I strongly encourage you to watch the original series, as it is excellent. It starts out a little silly, with a sports anime feel to it and what appears to be a standard underdog tale, but in the course of its six episodes, you'll find that it has more serious themes.

I particularly liked its use of time dilation during high speed space travel and its subsequent toll on those who undergo such voyages.

The ending is also fantastic.

P.S. HOMING LASERRRRRR!!!!
Evirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 23:54   Link #13
Lunchboxx

Send a message via AIM to Lunchboxx Send a message via MSN to Lunchboxx Send a message via Yahoo to Lunchboxx
Thanks for the Info....

Well for now I'll just watch this as I have no money to buy dvds cuz I assume its licensed
Lunchboxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 00:14   Link #14
FriedBunny
Ayeeeee!

I completely support anything FLCL-esque, that is definitely not a negative.

Gainax's recent projects have been less than stellar, in my eyes. The first season of Mahoromatic was enjoyable, the second a major let-down. Abenobashi was decent. KonoMini was down-right bad.

We'll see if Re: Cutie Honey and Top2 can help salvage what respect I have remaining for my favorite anime studio.
FriedBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 00:57   Link #15
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedBunny

Gainax's recent projects have been less than stellar, in my eyes. The first season of Mahoromatic was enjoyable, the second a major let-down. Abenobashi was decent. KonoMini was down-right bad.

We'll see if Re: Cutie Honey and Top2 can help salvage what respect I have remaining for my favorite anime studio.

You forgot the Melody of Oblivion and Puchi Puri Yuushi!
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 07:21   Link #16
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Watched the first ep from Lunaranime and loved it. The colors are beautiful and the animation is very fluid. And I always had a soft spot for giant robot anime.

This one seems 100 miles away from the first anime though - even though they do have similarities.

The "onee-sama" thingy seems suspiciously to be a parody on Maria-sama ga Miteru.

How long is this one going to be? Looking forward to the next ep.
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 09:54   Link #17
Pai
ハガレン fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Paper
Man, I am so dissapointed. I was hoping for some resemblance to the original but Gunbuster 2 lost all its sci-fi elements and turned into a freakish FLCL-like show...
I'm dissapointed too
Man.. I know.. I don't like Gainax in general.. but to see one the few gainax's animes that I like ruined so much...
=______________=
BLAH!
Old 2004-10-11, 12:24   Link #18
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedBunny
ditto that,

The art was some levels higher then FLCL. Weird mecha's, Space monster,talking cats and to the delight of some guys i reckon, a very naive girl:

warning, adult content
Spoiler:

Looks to be a very entertaining Anime
Old 2004-10-11, 14:26   Link #19
angel_wing0
心の番だよ ^o^

Send a message via MSN to angel_wing0
yip i just finished the sub version...

I became a TOPLESS is still very funny noonetheless~

but at least nono cries less than noriko
angel_wing0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 14:59   Link #20
angel_wing0
心の番だよ ^o^

Send a message via MSN to angel_wing0
btw one strange thing...during the commerical break, they mention "DIE-BUSTER" instead of GUNBUSTER...hmmm...something strange it seems?
angel_wing0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, mecha