AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2015-02-24, 05:05   Link #1
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Exclamation [youtube][/youtube] BBCode tags not working for my browser??

The web browser I use is called Waterfox aka the unofficial 64-bit Firefox.

For a while now, I have noticed that when someone makes a post with the [youtube][/youtube] tags, the youtube video doesn't appear; nothing appears. Posts which just have the youtube video appear blank on Waterfox.

I've checked with different browsers and different tags. The [youtube][/youtube] work fine on all of the other browsers except Waterfox. The [yt][/yt] tags work fine across all browsers including Waterfox.

I was under the impression that Waterfox wasn't significantly different to Firefox but I can't confirm on my laptop whether the [youtube][/youtube] tags work on the normal version of Firefox. I'm guessing they do since no one else seems to have reported this problem.

Any ideas? Is it worth fretting about?
Old 2015-02-24, 07:26   Link #2
sneaker

Do you have the Flash Player for Waterfox? It seems Animesuki does not follow the youtube recommendation of using the player-agnostic iframe instead of the Flash player, thus disabling HTML5 video.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-24, 07:27   Link #3
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

I'll give it a try.

EDIT: Nope, didn't work. Again, its only on Waterfox and only with the [youtube] tags. The [yt] tags work just fine.

Last edited by OH&S; 2015-02-24 at 07:43.
OH&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-24, 07:47   Link #4
sneaker

Sorry, I did not read correctly about the different tags. I see now they are implemented a bit differently but I don't know the reason. Maybe someone else can help you (or the Animesuki team will start following the youtube recommendation which might help).
Old 2015-02-24, 09:21   Link #5
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

The YouTube tag has been around a while, I don't know if the current embed code was the recommended approach when it was first added. The dynamic tags use the same object code, so again I don't know why it works if the other doesn't. Maybe something to do with the late loading… (Edit: okay, so I upgraded the object code to avoid the old embed tag when I created the newer tags…) In any case, I've added an iframe based implementation to let you verify if resolves the problem. I don't have the time or inclination to install Waterfox to test myself. If we change anything permanently it will probably be to rationalise on a single implementation (the dynamic tag), though we will have to keep both tag names for backward compatibility and in the short term I'm happy to update the youtube tag to the iframe implementation if it fixes the issue.
[TESTYTDONOTUSE]KWZGAExj-es[/TESTYTDONOTUSE]
Note: do not use the above mark up in your own posts, it will be removed
TL;DR…
Current implementation for reference
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-24, 19:48   Link #6
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

I can verify that the iframe based implentation test shows me the intended youtube video.

I guess that's what the problem is.
Old 2015-03-16, 17:05   Link #7
monster

So are you planning to switch the YouTube embedding any time soon so it will no longer require Flash Player to play?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-16, 18:08   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

While I'd like to see Flash die, I suspect it's way too soon to throw it out in favor of pure HTML5 implementations. I'd bet there are a bunch of people visiting this site with browsers or operating system platforms that don't support that. Firefox began bundling Cisco's OpenH264 codec a few months back, but I'm sure there are a lot of people with older FF implementations that don't include OpenH264.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-16, 19:01   Link #9
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
While I'd like to see Flash die, I suspect it's way too soon to throw it out in favor of pure HTML5 implementations. I'd bet there are a bunch of people visiting this site with browsers or operating system platforms that don't support that. Firefox began bundling Cisco's OpenH264 codec a few months back, but I'm sure there are a lot of people with older FF implementations that don't include OpenH264.
Well, I can understand if there are still a significant number of visitors to the forums who are not using a recent enough web browser version.

I just thought that YouTube also provides a WebM/VP8 version for its videos, but maybe I'm wrong about that. HTML5 video itself seems to have been supported for quite a while now by the more commonly used web browsers.
Old 2015-03-16, 19:01   Link #10
sneaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The proposed implementation does not lock Flash out, it only does not make it a requirement anymore. It uses whatever Youtube thinks works best on your PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I just thought that YouTube also provides a WebM/VP8 version for its videos
It does offer VP9 and VP8 on most if not all videos.
Old 2015-03-16, 19:04   Link #11
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
The proposed implementation does not lock Flash out, it only does not make it a requirement anymore. It uses whatever Youtube thinks works best on your PC.
If that's the case, then that's even better. Hopefully they'll be able to implement it soon (and not wait for the "upgrade").
Quote:
It does offer VP9 and VP8 on most if not all videos.
Nice.
Old 2015-03-16, 21:49   Link #12
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
So are you planning to switch the YouTube embedding any time soon so it will no longer require Flash Player to play?
I'm confused. I just played the video linked above and it's in HTML5. I'm using Firefox 36.0.1 on a PC.
Old 2015-03-16, 21:56   Link #13
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I'm confused. I just played the video linked above and it's in HTML5. I'm using Firefox 36.0.1 on a PC.
In Internet Explorer 11, the first video in NightWish's post is using HTML5 video, but the video inside the TL;DR tag is using Flash Player, and the second video is labeled as the current implementation.

Interestingly enough, in Firefox 36.0.1, both videos use Flash for me.
Old 2015-03-16, 22:05   Link #14
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
In Internet Explorer 11, the first video in NightWish's post is using HTML5 video, but the video inside the TL;DR tag is using Flash Player, and the second video is labeled as the current implementation.

Interestingly enough, in Firefox 36.0.1, both videos use Flash for me.
Hmm, I see what you mean. I'm not sure what Nightwish has set for the coding on that, to be honest, but I'm sure if there's a solution he'll find it.
Old 2015-03-17, 00:21   Link #15
sneaker

The code for the new implementation seems fine. It doesn't really do much, it's just an iframe that opens the Youtube embed URL which is what Youtube recommends to use. What player it chooses depends on Youtube and your browser, not AnimeSuki. Note that Firefox's HTML5 support is not yet deemed stable by Mozilla so it's not fully enabled yet. If you have Firefox 36.0.1 with default settings it will only use AVC video and Firefox relies on your system codecs for that. If you use Windows XP or an "N" version of Windows you are probably out of luck and it should fall back to Flash. But the advanced Firefox settings, your youtube HTML5 settings and the video in question also play a role so it's not easy to say why a certain player was chosen.

tl;dr: everything is fine, no reason not to activate the new implementation ASAP
Old 2015-03-17, 04:14   Link #16
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
Note that Firefox's HTML5 support is not yet deemed stable by Mozilla so it's not fully enabled yet.
Ironic, given the problems they've had with Flash support. It's...not great. HTML5 works pretty well though, at least for me.
Old 2015-03-17, 04:56   Link #17
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

I'm sort of confused by all of this new talk. For reference, I'll use both tags:

YouTube
TL;DR…

The tldr tags are empty upon opening (meaning, the code is there but the youtube player doesn't appear and the tldr tags are empty).

I thought the solution to the problem had been found when NightWish tested a different implementation in his post. I could see the video that was intended. So I thought NightWish had every reason he needed to implement it.

Unless real life became more of a priority, as it always does, is there a reason for the delay? Do these things take extended periods of time?
Old 2015-03-17, 05:14   Link #18
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
The tldr tags are empty upon opening (meaning, the code is there but the youtube player doesn't appear and the tldr tags are empty).
I can see both videos outside and inside the tldr tag on my end on both Internet Explorer and Firefox and all four instances using Flash Player.

What happens when you remove the tldr tag on the second video?
Old 2015-03-17, 05:26   Link #19
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^
Oh, the tldr tags are independent of all of this. If they weren't there, then nothing would be there. It was just to illustrate the fact that something should be there but isn't.

Again, Waterfox problem only.
Again, the solution has been found and I am just waiting on NightWish to get onto it.
Old 2015-03-17, 06:56   Link #20
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Firefox 36.0.1 on Kubuntu 14.04 even with the Cisco OpenH264 codec included still invokes Flash to play all the videos on this page.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote