AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 29 28.71%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 49.50%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 18.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.98%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.99%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-15, 21:33   Link #41
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

This episode by far has some of the funniest quotes/moments from the series so far - just thinking back on the emotional drama built up from the last couple of episodes, you completely forget this show can be so funny. Plenty of rewatch value over Christmas me thinks~

Anyway, the moe factor went straight upto the clouds with this one. Plenty of moe scenes for each female member of the show - especially Nayuki & Mai.

& yes, Shiori eating ice cream made my year.
Old 2006-12-15, 22:54   Link #42
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Some of the comedy in this ep was outstanding. The scene where Ayu and Nayu (lol) first met had me in stitches. Kanon's comedy is very similar to series like Haruhi (for obvious reasons) and even Ouran, in that the jokes just sort of sneak up on you and tend to be a bit of a surprise. That's the sort of humour I really appreciate in particular and I think Kanon has executed it better than I ever could have anticipated.

I didn't think the visuals were typical Kyoto Animation in this ep, meaning it was still several tiers above the majority of other anime but not at the absolute pinnacle as some other their previous titles have managed to maintain for the entire length of the series. Actually, on second thoughts I can't remember a series of their's that didn't maintain an impossible, impeccable quality for the entire length. Kanon is a first in that respect, but I suppose it shows they are human after all... just exceptionally talented humans. And yet, despite this, the visuals were still incredible. There was one shot just before the ED rolled where Mai had her back turned to the camera. Even just the way she stood and the angle of the camera communicated a massive amount of her current emotions at that point. That KyoAni can impress me so much even on their off days is just outstanding. I don't care if I sound fanboy-ish here, I don't think anyone could ever understate the impact KyoAni are making on the entire industry by doing what they're doing.

Can Kyuuichi see the demons? I don't think it's been clearly shown if he can actually see them or not and if he can't, it hasn't been shown why he seems to be so willing to believe her. I'm troubled by this, a touch. When so much care has been taken with the rest of the story, I'm surprised that a detail like this hasn't been given any attention.
Old 2006-12-15, 22:58   Link #43
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
it hasn't been shown why he seems to be so willing to believe her. I'm troubled by this, a touch.
The whole Makoto part of his life is one part which leads him to believe Mai - remember, it was her who mentioned about staying close to Makoto.
Old 2006-12-16, 05:08   Link #44
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

I'm almost done with the Shiori pathway in the game, and seeing Shiori munch on her ice cream - in the middle of winter - made my heart melt once again.

The more I play the game the more I am impressed at how Kyo-Ani did well to blend back into the weaved storyline without forgetting Makoto's existence, while slowly entering into Mai's story and still managing to progress Nayuki, Ayu and Shiori's storyline at the same time.

As a left-hander, I'm glad Kyo-Ani never forgot that Ayu's left-handed by having her hold her fork and knife in the "left-handed" way.

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2006-12-16 at 05:30.
Old 2006-12-16, 08:49   Link #45
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
It was good to see Yuuichi still reflecting upon Makoto - each time she was mentioned I caught a whif of both pain and acceptance when he replied, even in his evasive explanation to Mai there was a hint of sadness there. Bravo to KyoAni for that.

The scene with Nayuki & Yuuichi at school before they went home? Oh my, was I laughing at that. Beautifully done, and terminated at the exact right moment.

Another huge plus in this episoide was Kaori. Ah yes, listening to and watching her deliver those lines? Beautiful.

Spoiler for not for first timers...:

A solid nine. Slightly less perfect animation, but to be expected. Music and VA were as usual, fantastic. Looking forward to ~waltz~... and wondering where Mai will hide her sword in an evening gown.

-Andiyar
Old 2006-12-16, 09:30   Link #46
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
Hello. Im not a Kanon expert but i enjoy the show a lot. to be honest i didnt watch the 2k2 anime nor did i play the game so its all new to me.
speaking of the impressions i didn't expect to find a really funny episode in Kanon which is more natural for Haruhi no yuutsu or ouran. thats sort of comic relief after 2 very touching episodes with lots of crying.

Quote:
The scene with Nayuki & Yuuichi at school before they went home? Oh my, was I laughing at that. Beautifully done, and terminated at the exact right moment.
indeed. now there's a good way to get on people's nerves.
the dialogue was something like this
- 今日は一緒に帰る
- 誰が
- 祐一が
- 誰と
- 私と
- どうして
- 約束したからだよ
- 誰が etc
Old 2006-12-16, 11:01   Link #47
Skane
Anime Snark

Cool

Random Thoughts on Kanon Ep11
  • While I am glad that Makato was not magically forgotten in this episode, it is far too early to celebrate yet as she may be forgotten by the next episode. Until the series end, I will withhold judgement on whether they handled the girls' existences properly.

At least it was handled better than the girls in Air though. Will we get to see Mishio in the latter episodes? Epilogues do not count.
  • On a related note, it was wise of them to showcase the family's acceptance of Makoto's departure, and their optimism that she would return in the future. It makes Yuuichi's( and Nayuki's, and Akiko's) cheerfulness that much more believable.
  • Was the opening scene a photo-realistic drawing of a cloudy sky or an actual photo? If it is an actual photo, it's going to remind me of the NGE movies( bad times, bad times). If it is an actual drawing, major props to the artist.
  • This will be the first episode where I will have to state that the standard of the animation quality has... erm... dropped? Honestly, I cannot say that the quality is bad, because it is still a gazillion times better than most anime out there, but compared to the usual KyoAni standard, it is a noticeable difference.

We're such spoilt brats.
  • Additionally, there were a LOT of reused frames in this episode( although nobody can beat Gundam Slideshow Destiny), but just like in the earlier episodes, it was used for comedy; and so I can easily forgive them for this.
  • Makoto's manga have the word, 'Key', on them. For the few of you that do not get it, 'Key' is the name of the company that made the game Kanon is based on.
  • Lots of Mai action in this episode, and as an ardent fan of Mai, I heartily approve. Still... it makes me wonder how they will resolve her issue this early without overlapping with one of the other arcs...

Currently cautiously optimistic that KyoAni will not screw over Mai fanboys by shortchanging her storyline.
Old 2006-12-16, 11:57   Link #48
Kisuke06
I see...

Yuuichi and Ayu dancing was just priceless.

This was a very good episode, probably the funniest episode so far.

And in the next episode we will see Mai in a dress, huh? This is something to look forward to.
Old 2006-12-16, 12:02   Link #49
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Thoughts on episode 11:

Spoiler:

Thumbs up for the change in the mood of the anime. Not everything is about Makoto and the depression that comes in the aftermath of her absence and going by arcs, it would be downright silly to harp on about the sudden change in the mood.

Yuuichi is entertaining as usual together with partners Nayuki, Ayu and Mai. The exchange between him and the former seemed normal but hilarious in a way, probably thanks to their expressions. As a Mai fanboy myself, the 'Banzai!' part was of course another funnier and cuter (insert biaseness here) segment of the show. Ayu, of course, at the brunt of Yuuichi's jokes and an excellent dance partner with Yuuichi. Too bad he can't take her to the dance as well. Imagine what a hit they will be on the floor!

Spoiler:

In conclusion, I guess one thing's inherent after watching the preview and the episode itself: "The way to a Mai's heart is through her stomach." [This is a terrible joke, btw ) In any case, I'll be waiting eagerly for episode 12 for more Mai goodness and a good storyline for her arc as well.

EDIT: Oh my, what a surprise...NO ONE voted below 8? Well, it's Mai after all....

But seriously, where did all the skeptics go?
Old 2006-12-16, 12:15   Link #50
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorai View Post

indeed. now there's a good way to get on people's nerves.
the dialogue was something like this
- 今日は一緒に帰る
- 誰が
- 祐一が
- 誰と
- 私と
- どうして
- 約束したからだよ
- 誰が etc
Ah, that classic scene from the game. Yuuichi sure is bored, and credit must be given to Nayuki for actually having the patience to play along.

I'm glad that part was included. Kyo-Ani basically kept the whole thing line by line, and I think I practically recited it as I remembered from the game.

Another funny bit they kept from the game was the poster scene, when Yuuichi was looking at the dental hygiene poster rather than the Dance Ball poster Nayuki was referring to.
Old 2006-12-16, 12:54   Link #51
Julius Firefocht

A nice recovery from the heartbreak that was episode 10. I salute KyoAni, never had reused scenes made me laugh harder. That part about Yuuichi and Nayuki going home together was pure genius.

As noted by a lot of fellow posters, the animation dropped somewhat, but it is still head and shoulders above what any other studio has done this season. The boys at KyoAni probably needed a break after the effort placed into the previous episode.

Aya and Nayuki were uber-kawaii, and Mai is just plain good in this episode. Can't wait for the next episode, I want to see Mai and Yuuichi dancing!
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Old 2006-12-16, 12:54   Link #52
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Spoiler for Reflections about Ep 11...:

Thumbs up to the little change of mood. I hate the type of series that maintain the drama all the time (aka Saikano) it makes it hard to see them (because you know that nothing good can happen).
Got a 9, a good 9 indeed.
Old 2006-12-16, 13:30   Link #53
Lilith
Your average fangirl

I think I'm beginning to like "Nayu". She was really funny when dealing with Yuuichi, very kind to Ayu and sooo cute when saying "lier" while pouting. Besides, I like blue hair!

This episode was quite nice to watch. The transition was well done, it made me happy that everyone asked about Makoto. I was even more happy to see my favorite girls Ayu and Shiori. <3

Looking forward to see Mai in a dress~
Old 2006-12-16, 13:33   Link #54
Blue Reverie
Rank-and-file poster

Ok, a guy without a tuxedo I can understand, but a girl witout even a semi-fancy dress suitable for a school dance? I can't believe it! (ok.. I can believe Mai/Ayu, but Sayuri/Nayuki/Shiori?)

Is it uncommon for girls in Japan to own bonified dresses? (as opposed to mere skirts)

And even Yuuichi, he seems to have a rather varied wardrobe, surely he has some nice slacks, a collared shirt, and some maybe kinda nice jacket to wear.

Or is this dance really strict on formal dress?
Old 2006-12-16, 13:53   Link #55
New/Old
Old to the New

Actually, think of the dance as a ball. Hmm-hmm.
Old 2006-12-16, 14:10   Link #56
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

well well... this will sound like some fanboyism /fanatism but... hell, i can't really believe how KyoAni is dealing with such pace.

this episode was really welcomed : the depressed climax from the previous episode could kill the pace of the serie.
instead of forgetting makoto completely or transform the world into a bewailing state, they did a great job by putting such lighthearted moments (and indeed, several mentions to our beloved fox ~~ thumbs up for sugita and his performance when yuuichi said to ayu that makoto returned home.)

anyway, i really loved the humour here, and was surprised how KyoAni was bold enough to use the same joke twice in the same episode (but it was really effective )

but not only the humour was good, but we have a lot of cute moments ^^ (awww, nayuki and ayu sleeping together... akkkh, somebody would like to take them home )

anyway... i can't wait for ep12...~~ (as a mai fan, i'm already drooling with the preview...>_>)
Old 2006-12-16, 14:13   Link #57
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New/Old View Post
Actually, think of the dance as a ball. Hmm-hmm.
Is the type of ball when the female lead runs away & in the process loses one of her shoes - thats when the all mighty Kuze comes into action to save the day.

Yeah, it'll be good.
Old 2006-12-16, 14:19   Link #58
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Is the type of ball when the female lead runs away & in the process loses one of her shoes - thats when the all mighty Kuze comes into action to save the day.

Yeah, it'll be good.
You'll see.

Heh.
Old 2006-12-16, 14:26   Link #59
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

I'm giving out some 9s now in order to give 10s out later. And this is the first time I couldn't watch it raw first since the place I get my raws from wasn't letting me. Add to that the first fansub I grabbed (I was desperate!) contained an error and refused to play and I didn't get to watch it till this morning. Sigh.

Well, as for the episode I can't believe the dance is coming up already, they're moving along rather quickly. Added Mai's hachimitsu kuma-san and ponpoko tanuki which means Mai's story is very much under way. Wonder how they'll proceed.
Old 2006-12-16, 14:36   Link #60
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
You'll see.

Heh.
I always wished it would turn out that way in the game.. ;_;