Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2017-04-29, 22:55   Link #241
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoakari View Post
One of the many reasons why President Trump is loved by his fans is exactly because he uses Twitter. Why use the leftist mainstream media when he can speak directly to the fans?
This is very unsettling because it is clear proof that Trump could not care less about those who do not voted for him, his actions (or lack thereof) are guided by how many cheers he can extract out of his base.

I would not be surprised if Trump is pushing for north korea to nuke California.
Old 2017-04-30, 09:57   Link #242
Key Board
Carbon

I feel too many people equate the freedom of speech with the freedom to be an asshole, and not suffer any repercussions from it

It's like, "hey, I'm pretty terrible person in my online games. And everyone seems okay with that. Why can't I be like that offline too? "
Why can't I casually make racist jokes? It's not serious bro!

"Leave social issues out of video games! It's my safe space not yours!
Except I don't want to call it a safe space because only special snowflakes do that, and I'm clearly not one. Honest, I swear."

if anything Trump election has only made people even more considerate to PC issue. Again, pendulum theory?
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2017-04-30, 10:49   Link #243
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Btw, is that really him and not just his face superimposed on someone else's body?
There does look to be a very prominent circular divide between the orange of his face and the human tone of the rest of the head. But it also kind of matches the tan on the left arm, so maybe he just doesn't know how sunscreen works.
Old 2017-04-30, 17:05   Link #244
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I feel too many people equate the freedom of speech with the freedom to be an asshole, and not suffer any repercussions from it

It's like, "hey, I'm pretty terrible person in my online games. And everyone seems okay with that. Why can't I be like that offline too? "
Why can't I casually make racist jokes? It's not serious bro!

"Leave social issues out of video games! It's my safe space not yours!
Except I don't want to call it a safe space because only special snowflakes do that, and I'm clearly not one. Honest, I swear."

if anything Trump election has only made people even more considerate to PC issue. Again, pendulum theory?
In all these cases, violation of ToS is what gets people banned, not because others don't like it. In particular, not due to dislike of an individual.

Even if they should not respect my right to free speech, then doesn't give me the right to do the same to them. Now, of course, when you say things in public, people also have the right to call you out on said opinions, of course.

Let's say you don't believe in someone's God. Maybe you believe religion has been the cause of conflict and suffering. What you could say would greatly offend someone else, as it is very personal to them. It doesn't mean that you should hold back on it, though. Obviously if it devolves into harassment, that becomes another issue.

The correct answer is not to silence him, but to point out the absurdities, and ridicule as needed.

In other words, I respect the right of someone to be an asshole, and reserve the same right to call them out for being one. Free speech is a part of communication, a two way street. You can say what you want, but you also have to bear the consequences of it too. But people ignore this on both ends, unless it's convenient.

This obviously excludes things like libel, lies, harassment, and the classic yelling fire in a theater. That should go without saying.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2017-04-30, 19:33   Link #245
Key Board
Carbon

The downside is that perpetuates a "both sides" argument

I used to hold that belief, but recent events has proved that wrong to me
even in cases where both sides are wrong, it's obviously clear that one side is much worse.

And I don't want to be on the side that is afraid of offending Nazis and Capitalists

at the very least can we not feed the (professional) trolls like Milo
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2017-04-30, 22:24   Link #246
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

I'm not disagreeing with you. But if you sink to their level, then all is lost.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2017-05-01, 00:31   Link #247
Serovectra

Even if you silence people with a perceived awful view, that doesn't make their opinion go away. It is better for them to be out in the open and known, then to be plotting something sinister. Their lack of an outlet to vent can turn a strong opinion into vindictive action. The amount of energy the left currently places on this pursuit is wildly disproportionate. We should remember that when we focus on language we’re treating symptoms, not the disease. Feel free to call them out on their nonsense, but language policing is silly at best.

Last edited by Serovectra; 2017-05-01 at 01:27.
Old 2017-05-01, 01:42   Link #248
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
you say Milo, I raise you Linda Sarsour, a sharia law advocate who is somehow turned into a feminist icon by useful idiots.
Old 2017-05-01, 05:22   Link #249
Key Board
Carbon

What Milo showed me:

Offend the left. Bwahaha nothing happens.
Offend the right. Bookdeal canceled, let go from Breitbart.
..and now he's knocked down, back trolling for attention, hoping to crawl his way up again

I guess this the real difference between the Left and the Right

Rightwingers are willing to do callous things, but actually push their plan forward
Leftist are too afraid of offending everyone

So it's no suprise who benefits the most from the "both sides" approach.
It's the the side that will use everthing in the arsenal to silence their opposition.

It's the side taking an anti-intellectual approach with "alternative" facts
Not the one indulging in a smug self satisfied suppposed moral superiority
Old 2017-05-01, 05:55   Link #250
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
You missed my point. What I am telling you is that you can claim moral superiority over the Pepe spammers for all I care, your side, so obsessed with being on the right side of history, have people who are as morally repulsive.

Your Left that have basically made Linda Sarsour a symbol of resistance is NOT MY LEFT. When the people who resist Trump, supposedly, are making hiqab a symbol of resistance (when in other countries, it's something repulsive), I go WHAT. Basically, it's like you gave up trying to understand and treat the disease of the lower and middle class, the blue-collars. Your Left, and lots of the left parties around the world, gave up wrestling with the finance and the higher-ups, and turned to the easier "identiy politics", fighting against people saying mean words, so you can say, "Hey workers, it sucks we didn't fight for your jobs, but hey we made sure everyone are nicer to each other!"

When I voted Mélenchon in the first round of the 2017 French Presidency, I voted for a Left that gave a shit about the workers and wanted to fight for their rights, not a Left that seems content with small victories and small fights against people saying mean words. Give those neglected workers and youths a future, better working conditions, jobs first.

Last edited by Sheba; 2017-05-01 at 06:12.
Old 2017-05-01, 06:10   Link #251
Key Board
Carbon

The hiqab is nuanced issue. It is like a nun veil
Some people are forced to wear it, but some certainly wear it out of lifestyle

But the left certainly have people who care more about their own image than actual social progress

On the issue of Sharia law...

well.. DeVos is a staunch creationist
Pence is hostile against the LGBT community and wants to suppress birth control
Trump has said that refunding planned parenthood to be his focus
It seems we're already becoming a theocracy! it's certainly concerning. yes

You voted for Mélenchon? good for you! I voted for Sanders in the primary.
Down with corporate capitalism!

edit:
Trump's campaign has managed to convince disenfranchised working class people that the problem in the USA is not unchecked capitalism and corporatism
and instead to blame that on identity politics and minorities
They have managed to sell the the narrative that the left cares more about "such people" than their jobs

Last edited by Key Board; 2017-05-01 at 06:33.
Old 2017-05-01, 15:16   Link #252
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Short, and short, it is people being forced to accept various minorities as a part of society to the point where racism and homophobia and what have you have become the minority, and thus seeking acceptance of a sort.

It is not that so called political correctness did not have a point, whereas entire generations of people were put down as part of a society trend from the moment you were born. But it's been corrupted horrifically by the entire so called straw group of SJWs that have taken this privilege concept thus far.

So, as an Asian, living here, I find that this so called PCness certainly has had benefits, as it is less acceptable to be "racist" over the last 20 years that's good. For the longest time in media and in general, that Asians were generally a group that was more okay to be racist too. It's still okay to crack jokes about asians, but if you crack a joke about black people, then the whole media is going to come on to you. But again, it's gotten a bit better. But as you see, we can't talk about these issues when the identity politics paradigm isn't as perfect as it seems and it turns out you can't just lump every minority together.

Though I do remember not bothering to try as hard in school because the better schools in the region would require quotas and thus I was told earlier in my life that I'd have to work harder than the rest because we needed better diversity. Of course, the liberals all drank the koolaid and we got all kinds of words about tolerance and diversity and and what they did was for good of all of us until our groups became a more significant part of the base, we simply didn't matter. So what is this anyways? But the media will tell you that it's because Asian don't stand up for themselves, which makes it okay I guess.

But hey, there's also the LGBT people, because nobody likes them. 2x for B, who may be considered traitors, and 2more x for T as they get shunned from even within said community. I'm just going to say that many things have gotten better for them since it wasn't too long ago that it was okay to bully them around. I mean, we live in a world where it's okay in places to kill them, and pretty sure there are some that believe these things right here. So what one may consider just being oversensitive, doesn't really understand the trouble behind the matter, and honestly the blood spilled is on their hands.

So in the end, one side took their people for granted, and the other side presented a way to press the undo button while burying the ramifications.

Add some nihilism. We've seen various people that support Trump because of shits and giggles. We have those that oppose him in spirit but failed in action leading to the same exact conclusion. Yea, forget about it. My life is going to be the same anyways. Who the fuck cares if other people's lives get affected, or they get kicked somewhere or held with proper causes? It's fun because every day our clown of a president that can entertain us every day. And that, is pathetic, which unfortunately gives the Anti-American pundits more fuel for the fire, so they can post the same 5 lines arranged in a different fashion.

What did you expect from people, in this social media age, that just care about cheap and quick entertainment, and spend all day staring at a smartphone (even when crossing the road?)

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2017-05-01 at 15:52.
Old 2017-05-01, 20:11   Link #253
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
In so far as the social--not economic--climate surrounding this, enough vocal people had the idea to accuse everyone of bigotry to the point that the charge lost all meaning when an actual wolf presented itself. And then a swath of other people ended up conflating political incorrectness with unsightly behavior. The identity politics brouhaha then gave platforms to people to profit off the low-hanging fruit, as they notably lack coverage on wide-sweeping issues pertaining to policy itself in favor of younger people who keep playing into their hands. To the extent these observations about political correctness and hypersensitive people are criticism for improvement, that is true. But even in the best intentions, too many of most notable voices focus on the howling wolves and not the grizzly bear waiting to ambush
GANBARIMASU
Old 2017-05-01, 22:01   Link #254
MCAL

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...09801175269376

Doubling down on the White Supremacy I see...
Old 2017-05-01, 22:14   Link #255
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Because we know Trump would never think of casually starting wars.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2017-05-01, 22:59   Link #256
Blueknight78

man i gonna say, honestly, the more news i see/hear from trump the less make sense why he "stilll" being the president O.o, this guy is just a crazy old geeze which think he is a sort of "god" and is doing every crap he can to make USA look like the worst country in the world, really every news i see from him make me really sick and even in a "weird" way glad to living in brazilian cuz while we suffer a lot with corruption in our politics, at last when a crazy/idiot or insany greedy person is in the power we actually put him down with impeachemen and things like that, it's really so strong the republican influence or trump really soo well loved among all the republicans which they are allowing trump say and to all the crazyness he do????.

one time he is treatening NK Dictator in the next day he calling the guy is "best budy" and a lot of others crazy things.

one thing i noticed for sure is which he really must have hated obama with all his strenght, cuz he is literaling undoing almost everything obama did during his time even the good things, even things which his partid actually is fine to have, he is literally trying to show "who's the boss".

serious if he keep being so crazy like that, the peoples on USA could still being fine, at this point i can see we not really getting different from peoples like kim jon(NK dictator) and others crazy rulers, this guy for sure will get easy the tittle of the worst usa president ever.

seeying a guy like trump make me afraid of the 2018 elections upcome here in brazil cuz also we have our own "trump" called "bolsonario", which is another crazy radicalist, which is so crazy or maybe even more than trump.
Old 2017-05-03, 10:34   Link #257
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Trump tweets:
FBI Director Comey was the best thing that ever happened to Hillary Clinton in that he gave her a free pass for many bad deeds! The phony...

...Trump/Russia story was an excuse used by the Democrats as justification for losing the election. Perhaps Trump just ran a great campaign?
He hasn't had a good week. I've noticed anytime he feels he's in some kind of conundrum he tends to bring the Russia-story.
Old 2017-05-03, 10:39   Link #258
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Trump tweets:
FBI Director Comey was the best thing that ever happened to Hillary Clinton in that he gave her a free pass for many bad deeds! The phony...
I almost feel sorry for Comey. He sacrificed his personal integrity to such an extent, in public, and this is his reward?
Old 2017-05-03, 12:57   Link #259
GDB

Quote:
Trump tweets:

...Trump/Russia story was an excuse used by the Democrats as justification for losing the election. Perhaps Trump just ran a great campaign?
He hasn't had a good week. I've noticed anytime he feels he's in some kind of conundrum he tends to bring the Russia-story.
Did Trump just refer to Trump in the third person?
Old 2017-05-03, 13:10   Link #260
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Did Trump just refer to Trump in the third person?
Yeap! Then again, those two tweets do not read like his typical tweets. There are actually two complete sentences in there.
Closed Thread