AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-04-10, 03:09   Link #21
fujipon

Sorry for taking so long to respond

Yes, AnimeSuki.com used to load on Opera up until around a month ago. I've cleared cache, cookies, done complete reinstalls of the browser, and have even tried different DNS servers with the same result. Internet Explorer and Firefox can load the main page just fine, so it can't be a DNS issue. I've tried multiple versions of Opera as well, all have failed.

As for the mirrors you listed, they all worked except the "www.animesuki.com" ones which just adds to my confusion. The results are the same with using both my ISPs DNS server and OpenDNS.

Quote:
Let us know how it goes. If one of those fixed it, which one was it? If they didn't fix it, did it change Opera's behavior with the site?
When this error started happening around a month ago, the first thing I did was clear all private data (cache, cookies, etc) and the flushdns command. All that did was, instead of the page timing out instantly, it just sat at a white screen for ~20 seconds before ultimately timing out.

The IP address linked works great, so I added it to my HOSTS file as a temporary solution. Unfortunately, that didn't work.

Last edited by fujipon; 2008-04-10 at 03:30.
fujipon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 07:22   Link #22
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

@OceanBlue

I just tried looking up animesuki.com using BellSouth's DNS servers and get a strange result:

First, let's find their name servers:
$ host -t ns bellsouth.net
bellsouth.net name server auth-dns.asm.bellsouth.net.
bellsouth.net name server auth-dns.mia.bellsouth.net.
bellsouth.net name server auth-dns.msy.bellsouth.net.

Now let's look up AS:
$ host www.animesuki.com auth-dns.asm.bellsouth.net
Using domain server:
Name: auth-dns.asm.bellsouth.net
Address: 205.152.37.24#53
Aliases:

Host www.animesuki.comcyways.com not found: 5(REFUSED)

Hmm. That's not what we asked for; let's try the Miami server:

$ host www.animesuki.com auth-dns.mia.bellsouth.net

gives the same result as the previous server.

What seems to be happening is that their servers are appending my domain name (cyways.com) onto the end of name being requested. It did the same thing when I requested www.google.com as well.

If I make the same request against another public DNS server I sometimes use for testing, I get the correct IP address.

Now it's possible that BellSouth's DNS servers won't talk to me since I'm not one of their subscribers ("REFUSED"), though it was happy to give me the names of the BellSouth DNS servers in my first request. The only person who can test this out correctly is you. Use the nslookup utility from the command prompt ("nslookup www.animesuki.com") and see what results you get. If nslookup doesn't work for you, try "ping www.animesuki.com" and see what address that lists for AS. (To open a command prompt in Windows, use Start > Run > type cmd in the box and hit enter.)

One other thing. Try "ipconfig /all" at the prompt and see what DNS servers are listed for you. If you're behind a router, you may see the router's address (usually 192.168.1.1 or something similar) as your DNS server. That means that the router is forwarding requests on your behalf to the ISPs nameservers. Try a "nslookup www.animesuki.com 205.152.37.24" request and see what you get. (That's the IP address of the first BellSouth server listed above.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujipon
The IP address linked works great, so I added it to my HOSTS file as a temporary solution. Unfortunately, that didn't work.
That's very strange. Now you have me worried that you've got a malware problem, where something that got installed on your machine is redirecting all DNS requests to some place nasty. Is animesuki.com the only domain that you ever have problems with? If so, that's ever weirder.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-04-10 at 07:38.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 08:47   Link #23
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujipon View Post
The ip works, but if you add it to your HOSTS file it still doesn't work!?
Check again, also paste here what you typed.

(btw isn't this best placed in feedback, some of the admins don't check here very often)
Old 2008-04-10, 11:01   Link #24
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
www.animesuki.com [California, USA] did not work. Could not connect to remote server.
www.animesuki.com [Germany] did not work. Could not connect to remote server.
Just to clarify, when you followed the second link you repeated the same test as the first link. At no point were you using the server in Germany. This is because the server in Germany is running on an IPv6 address, not an IPv4 address like all of the other servers. If you resolve www.animesuki.com to an IPv6 address you get the German server, if you resolve it to IPv4 address you get the server in California. We do not make this clear from the mirror page at the moment, so it is slightly confusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The only person who can test this out correctly is you. Use the nslookup utility from the command prompt ("nslookup www.animesuki.com") and see what results you get. If nslookup doesn't work for you, try "ping www.animesuki.com" and see what address that lists for AS.
Just to echo what SeijiSensei says here. If you can provide this information it will make diagnosing the problem much easier. I would also suggest that anyone having connection problems try such checks as a first step. The output can be compared with the output provided by simple on-line tools/services such as Centralops' Domain Dossier.
Quote:
That's very strange. Now you have me worried that you've got a malware problem, where something that got installed on your machine is redirecting all DNS requests to some place nasty. Is animesuki.com the only domain that you ever have problems with? If so, that's ever weirder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
The ip works, but if you add it to your HOSTS file it still doesn't work!?
While malware should not be discounted, it may simply be a caching issue. If you make any changes to your hosts file it is a good idea to flush the DNS resolver cache (on Windows run: ipconfig /flushdns) and restart any applications that are trying to use the name in question (i.e. the browser). It is not always needed, but if you do not do this you run the risk of continuing to use outdated name-ip mappings until they expire naturally, which might take a few days.

Last edited by NightWish; 2008-04-10 at 11:15.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 11:54   Link #25
fujipon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslookup with router
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>nslookup
Default Server: tomato.tomato
Address: 192.168.1.1

> www.animesuki.com
Server: tomato.tomato

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.animesuki.com.tomato
Address: 208.69.32.132

> animesuki.com

Name: animesuki.com.tomato
Address: 208.69.32.132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ping
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping www.animesuki.com

Pinging www.animesuki.com [69.42.221.126] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 69.42.221.126:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
Sorry about the nslookup results. I'll try running it again without my router in a little while to see if I get better information than that. As for my hosts file, what I have entered in there currently is: "69.42.221.126 animesuki.com" but I've tried many different variations, none of them seemed to have worked. I just tried loading www.animesuki.com with Internet Explorer and it worked fine with that entry still in hosts file.

If it means anything, my router is a Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslookup without router
Default Server: dns-cac-dts-01.nyroc.rr.com
Address: 24.92.226.40

> www.animesuki.com
Server: dns-cac-dts-01.nyroc.rr.com

Name: www.animesuki.com.maine.rr.com
Address: 24.28.193.9

> animesuki.com

Name: animesuki.com
Address: 69.42.221.126
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracert
1 10.99.208.1 4.66 6.07 5.33
2 ge-0-3-0.ptldmeags-rtr01.nyroc.rr.com (204.210.64.193) 6.07 7.56 6.60 1.27
3 gig6-1-0.ptldmeptl-rtr02.nyroc.rr.com (204.210.64.21) 8.52 20.78 12.89 6.30
4 ge-5-1-0.syrcnycsr-rtr03.nyroc.rr.com (24.24.7.149) 23.00 23.17 23.08 10.19
5 ae-3-0.cr0.chi10.tbone.rr.com (66.109.6.72) 40.65 42.10 41.22 18.14
6 ae-0-0.cr0.chi30.tbone.rr.com (66.109.6.21) 40.43 49.08 43.35 2.13
7 ae-4-0.cr0.nyc20.tbone.rr.com (66.109.6.24) 51.50 53.19 52.29 8.95
8 ae-0-0.cr0.nyc30.tbone.rr.com (66.109.6.26) 52.82 55.04 53.92 1.63
9 ae-4-0.cr0.dca20.tbone.rr.com (66.109.6.28) 57.13 58.55 58.08 4.15
10 ae-1-0.pr0.dca10.tbone.rr.com (66.109.6.165) 57.21 63.03 59.33 1.25
11 unknown.hwng.net (69.16.190.113) 55.83 61.19 58.39 -0.93
12 2-1.r1.ny.hwng.net (69.16.191.53) 63.82 69.41 66.32 7.92
13 3-1.r1.ch.hwng.net (69.16.191.41) 83.29 86.70 85.36 19.04
14 1-1.r1.la.hwng.net (69.16.191.33) 124.20 125.59 124.83 39.47
15 unknown.hwng.net (69.16.190.214) 128.27 132.94 131.18 6.36
16 *
17 *
18 *
19 *
20 *
I use OpenDNS with my router. I've tried loading the website with both my ISPs and OpenDNS, both failed. Both worked, however, with a browser other than Opera.

Last edited by fujipon; 2008-04-10 at 12:13.
Old 2008-04-10, 12:33   Link #26
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Note: ping & traceroute on animesuki.com will fail as our provider blocks all ICMP traffic. So do not be alarmed if you can't ping the IP on which animesuki.com is located; nobody can!

As for the DNS issues... I'll have a look if there is anything on our side that could be causing this.

Edit:
Does this link work in Opera? http://www.animesuki.com./ (the dot before the slash is intentional)

Also try nslookup in the same way: append a dot to the domain name and see if you still get the same result.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 12:37   Link #27
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
> www.animesuki.com

Name: www.animesuki.com.maine.rr.com
Address: 24.28.193.9
He's getting the same appended domain problem I had. Maybe there's a missing period at the end of an entry in the animesuki.com zone file?
Old 2008-04-10, 12:56   Link #28
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
He's getting the same appended domain problem I had. Maybe there's a missing period at the end of an entry in the animesuki.com zone file?
I tried all the test I could think off, including:
dig @{dns server for animesuki} www.animesuki.com a
dig @{dns server for animesuki} animesuki.com a
dig @{dns server for animesuki} animesuki.com soa
dig @{dns server for animesuki} animesuki.com axfr
...however all seem fine. All listed animesuki.com with a period at the end.

DNS for AnimeSuki is handled by ZoneEdit.com btw, with DNSMadeEasy.com as secondary servers.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 13:20   Link #29
fujipon

I'm getting the same results with http://www.animesuki.com./ however the nslookup seems slightly different this time around with router compared to last time.

Quote:
Default Server: tomato.tomato

> www.animesuki.com.

Name: www.animesuki.com
Address: 69.42.221.126
Also, now instead of Opera timing out to an error message, the website still fails to load but sits at a blank white page.

Quote:
Is animesuki.com the only domain that you ever have problems with? If so, that's ever weirder.
So far, animesuki.com is the only website I've run into that works in one browser, but not in the other. I'm very careful when it comes to browsing the net. I've done multiple spyware & virus scans with different applications and have found nothing.

Last edited by fujipon; 2008-04-10 at 13:59.
Old 2008-04-10, 14:27   Link #30
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Try opera 9.5 beta. animesuki.com won't work for me with opera 9.25, but usually works fine with the beta.

Of course that still doesn't address why it doesn't work with the earlier versions. I assumed it was because I blocked something I shouldn't have, but since other people are having a problem too, it must be something with opera.
Old 2008-04-10, 14:39   Link #31
fujipon

I'll try the beta version since I haven't yet, but it's still weird that Opera could load the main page up until around a month ago. I can't think of anything I've changed to my system that would prevent it from loading anymore.

edit- Uninstalled Opera 9.27, deleted the folder left behind in my Programs folder and Applications Data folder, ran a registry cleaner, installed Opera 9.50b and am still not able to access the main page. I'll revert back to 9.25 again, since I know that was the last version that worked for me and see what happens ;o;

Same result with Opera 9.25, 9.27 and 9.50b

Last edited by fujipon; 2008-04-10 at 15:05.
Old 2008-04-10, 15:38   Link #32
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I'm betting it's something ISP-side. Opera may be drawing out the problem because it's handling DNS entries differently than the other two browsers, but Opera works fine with the site for many of us.
Old 2008-04-10, 23:20   Link #33
Cyz
"Show it to me"

You know, my Opera is having trouble loading YouTube. It kept saying "The Opera browser encountered a problem and is now shutting down". It kept doing that everytime I visit YouTube and it's frustrating. It doesn't act like that when I used Firefox though.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 23:24   Link #34
Ledgem
Love Yourself

YouTube is working fine for me. What version of Opera are you using? You were able to access YouTube before, I'd imagine - did you install anything or change anything recently?

If you can reproduce it regularly, haven't done anything major to your computer, and you're using 9.27 (the latest non-beta as of this time), please write a detailed report at the Opera Bug Report page. There are a lot of advertisements on YouTube; it's possible that one of them is crashing Opera (I had that happen with a website once; it stopped once the ads went out of rotation). If that's the case, it'd be helpful for the Opera team to know about it. The time you spend mentioning the bug can make Opera better for you and the rest of us Opera users Thanks!
Old 2008-04-10, 23:42   Link #35
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujipon View Post
I'll try the beta version since I haven't yet, but it's still weird that Opera could load the main page up until around a month ago. I can't think of anything I've changed to my system that would prevent it from loading anymore.

edit- Uninstalled Opera 9.27, deleted the folder left behind in my Programs folder and Applications Data folder, ran a registry cleaner, installed Opera 9.50b and am still not able to access the main page. I'll revert back to 9.25 again, since I know that was the last version that worked for me and see what happens ;o;

Same result with Opera 9.25, 9.27 and 9.50b
Please don't use the official beta version of Opera 9.5 since it is buggy crap which should have still been alpha. Since then, they've released weekly builds which are far superior. If you want to try out Opera 9.5 use build 9864. It crashes less, runs faster, can display animated gifs, and is otherwise just plain better.
Opera 9.5 build 9864 for Windows
Opera 9.5 build 9864 for Macintosh
Opera 9.5 build 9864 for UNIX
Or if Notes synchronization is a feature you really want, you can use build 9903. I've got a few minor issues with it, but Notes synchronization... wow.
Opera 9.5 build 9903 for Windows
Opera 9.5 build 9903 for Macintosh
Opera 9.5 build 9903 for UNIX

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 23:58   Link #36
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
YouTube is working fine for me. What version of Opera are you using? You were able to access YouTube before, I'd imagine - did you install anything or change anything recently?

If you can reproduce it regularly, haven't done anything major to your computer, and you're using 9.27 (the latest non-beta as of this time), please write a detailed report at the Opera Bug Report page. There are a lot of advertisements on YouTube; it's possible that one of them is crashing Opera (I had that happen with a website once; it stopped once the ads went out of rotation). If that's the case, it'd be helpful for the Opera team to know about it. The time you spend mentioning the bug can make Opera better for you and the rest of us Opera users Thanks!
Well, it's working fine now. I just uninstalled and re-installed again. I'm using the 9.27 version of Opera. I didn't install anything but it starts happening after I finished watching some clips on the MTV site. I thought there must've been a program that failed to shut down so I check but they all did. And then after that, YouTube isn't showing and then Animesuki Forums as well.

Edit: Oookay nevermind, the problem came back again :upset
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig

Last edited by Cyz; 2008-04-11 at 02:33.
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 23:28   Link #37
fujipon

Unable to fix it after many different things, so I guess it could be an ISP + Opera issue I suppose. Thanks for the help

Old 2008-04-12, 17:43   Link #38
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Automatic domain name searching (by appending) is a common feature of name resolution (client side) and is normally configurable. On linux-like systems the settings can be found as "search" lines in "/etc/resolv.conf". On windows it is found in the {Connection Icon}:Properties > |TCP/IP List Entry| + [Properties] > [Advanced Button] > <DNS Tab>.

As far as I understand how it works, only the resolving client should be performing such a search (because it is configured to know about the local network). It does this to help resolve host-name only addresses correctly. If it is not working, it should be a connection related problem. The only way I can see it being an isolated problem in Opera is if Opera is using its own DNS client code, bypassing that provided by the OS or it is performing unnecessary steps. The fact you get the same effect when using nslookup makes me wonder about your DNS settings.

You can check your DNS settings to see if any specific addresses are being appended, and disable them if they are. Short of installing a local DNS proxy to watch what is actually happening I am not sure what else you can try at that level. However, just looking at the Opera settings I notice there is a "look for local network machines" option, along with the "Try name completion using...". I found it in the preferences: <Advanced tab> > |Network List| > [Server name completion button]. That sounds like it will try to do something similar with addresses it fails to find initially. You might try un-checking the "look for local network machines" to see if you get favourable results. Though the fact you get the same issue with nslookup via the router suggests your router may be doing the added search, which you may be able to disable in its configuration (can't say for sure without knowing more about your router and how exactly it uses OpenDNS). Probably fixable with a lot of trail and error, but not so easy via a forum .
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 19:27   Link #39
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
Automatic domain name searching (by appending) is a common feature of name resolution (client side) and is normally configurable. On linux-like systems the settings can be found as "search" lines in "/etc/resolv.conf". On windows it is found in the {Connection Icon}:Properties > |TCP/IP List Entry| + [Properties] > [Advanced Button] > <DNS Tab>.
Appending a domain to a hostname (e.g., using the entries in the "search" parameter of resolv.conf) is only supposed to apply to "unqualified" hostnames, that it ones without a ".domain" part. So if I have

search animesuki.com

and look up just "www", I should get an answer for www.animesuki.com (depending on the order of the domains in the search list). But if I look up www.animesuki.com, it's not supposed to append the domain and search for www.animesuki.com.animesuki.com.

Essentially if the requested hostname contains a dot, the search domains are not supposed to be applied by the client-side resolver.
Old 2008-04-13, 15:52   Link #40
fujipon

Well, I believe I just fixed it since it loads now.

I went under Network Connections, clicked my connection and went to Properties and under the list where it has all the ...things (orz) my connection uses was an entry called "Microsoft TCP/IP version 6" which I remember I accidentally installed with uTorrent. I remember disabling a similar service called "Microsoft IPv6 Helper" a couple weeks ago, so I uninstalled that entry under the connection. Rebooted, and now the website loads.

Sorry for all the trouble, if the problem was solely just this

Tags
browsers, ipv6, opera