AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-02-25, 12:27   Link #2081
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

lol all I can say about 40 is Maguro sure knows how to make an entrance
Old 2010-02-25, 12:41   Link #2082
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

I'll need to see the scans to be sure, but I think Black White just took Kikaijima's position as my favorite character.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 12:46   Link #2083
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Those 2 Abnormal girls and their sexy poses.....
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 13:44   Link #2084
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Ha, Akune seems to be struggling with Koga a bit. Fucked her leg over and still couldn't stop her. Not that I blame him, having an opponent who literally attacks in 3 dimensions can't be easy in such a confined space.

Looks like we will get a story on how Koga and Naze met as well as became friends. lol @ having a bag over her head. Reminds me of Potemkin from Guilty Gear. Considering the references and shout outs in this series so far, I wouldn't be surprised if that was what it was meant to be. Also another Kamen Rider reference "Raida Kikku!"

lol how the fuck did Maguro get in there? I don't mind though since he is awesome. Seeing those sparks fly between him and Naze made me chuckle. She must not be happy to see him lol. Also Maguro tied his hair back so is he about to fight?!
Rejuvenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 13:44   Link #2085
KLGChaos
The Shermain

After seeing the RAWs for 40, I'm just scratching my head even more... I think I'll going to drop the manga for now and come back later when it's more than just strange battle after battle.
Old 2010-02-25, 20:24   Link #2086
Xion Valkyrie

I think the difference between a good battle manga and your general run of the mill battle manga is that in a good one, the battle is setup beforehand, so the readers eagerly anticipate the battle. Whereas in the run of the mill one, they introduce the characters just as the battle starts, and add some kind of flashback to make the battle feel important, which doesn't really work. I mean, we're basically just waiting for the party to fight King again, and all these battles with the random abnormals are really just stretching the arc out.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 01:13   Link #2087
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

We can't quite call them "random" when we already met each of the current 13 Party members before the student council invaded the facility. Now if it was the other 6 members of the 13 Party then I would agree about it being random since they are no where to be found atm. Although I wouldn't be shocked if they turn up later on after the first half gets beaten.

Although I'll agree on Miyakonojou being the most anticipated battle since he was actually the one with the most interest in Medaka. Thus going out of his way to find her and tell her where the facility is located.
Old 2010-02-26, 06:51   Link #2088
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
I think the difference between a good battle manga and your general run of the mill battle manga is that in a good one, the battle is setup beforehand, so the readers eagerly anticipate the battle. Whereas in the run of the mill one, they introduce the characters just as the battle starts, and add some kind of flashback to make the battle feel important, which doesn't really work. I mean, we're basically just waiting for the party to fight King again, and all these battles with the random abnormals are really just stretching the arc out.
I think that's my problem with it. It's the Student Council thing all over again. Too many characters at once and not enough plot, just some random backstory for the characters. 30 chapters in and this still feels like I'm reading a prologue. I can't really care about any of the characters and it's all following the same formula of Abnormal introduced > fight starts > a few pages of backstory > fight continues for chapter > fights ends > friends are made > rinse and repeat. It's just drawing the whole thing out and has gotten a bit boring. And we've got to go through it several more times still. So, I'll come back in 30 chapters when it's all over and the plot has actually advanced at all.

I can deal with a story that doesn't rely a lot on plot, as long as it has great characters (like the game Mass Effect 2), but the characters here are still just too shallow. Hard to give them much depth when you introduced a ton of them all at once.
Old 2010-02-28, 11:57   Link #2089
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
Issue 14 Bottom 5:

Hunter x Hunter
Sket Dance
Hokenshitsu no Shinigami
Psyren
Kashikoi-ken Rilienthal

Issue 15:

Lead CP: Nurarihyon no Mago
CP: Sket Dance, Medaka Box
We have escaped the worst of the bottom 5 again this week and the series will be in color next week. I think I hear more nails being driven into coffins when it comes to certain claims that were made.
Old 2010-02-28, 14:31   Link #2090
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstorm View Post
We have escaped the worst of the bottom 5 again this week and the series will be in color next week. I think I hear more nails being driven into coffins when it comes to certain claims that were made.
Hmm, good to see Medaka out again, about time it showed us why it was allowed to live for so long. I still think that Jump gave it the benefit of the doubt these past 3 cuts, as I think any other series with Medaka's polling history would be gone by now, so it's good to see it take advantage of that and actually improve.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 15:34   Link #2091
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
Hmm, good to see Medaka out again, about time it showed us why it was allowed to live for so long. I still think that Jump gave it the benefit of the doubt these past 3 cuts, as I think any other series with Medaka's polling history would be gone by now, so it's good to see it take advantage of that and actually improve.
I partly disagree because these past few times have been series that ranked worst than it and did not have sales to make up for it when the decision to cut them was made. Stuff that go on last place losing streaks like Kagijin and Neko Wappa are easy targets. We at least know that Medaka has had worthwhile sales since the first volume came out.

Believe me, if DGM had not moved to Jump SQ and To Love Ru didn't end because of Yabuki's personal reasons near the end of summer 2009, both Medaka and Akaboshi would have ended at that point in time rather than continuing on as long as they did. Which is why I mentioned having the devil's luck earlier in this thread.

The only series that Jump seems to make sure to save is Kuroko no Basket unfortunately.
Old 2010-02-28, 15:48   Link #2092
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Told you on OM, wingman, Zen's chapters would keep it out of the bottom five more than two weeks in a row. Think it's sort of confirmed that he's the driving force behind the manga now, not Medaka.

Now, let's hope when Akune's chapters come around, it doesn't drop back down. BTW, welcome to animesuki. :P
Old 2010-02-28, 15:59   Link #2093
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Told you on OM, wingman, Zen's chapters would keep it out of the bottom five more than two weeks in a row. Think it's sort of confirmed that he's the driving force behind the manga now, not Medaka.

Now, let's hope when Akune's chapters come around, it doesn't drop back down. BTW, welcome to animesuki. :P
I guess you were right, but according to what you said, it might be short lived. Zen's fight lasted only like 4 or 5 chapters. I haven't read the latest chapter, but I think Medaka will fall back to it's home. At any rate, good to see Medaka earning it's keep. Perhaps these good rankings will result in a focus shift from Medaka to Zen.

And thanks for the welcome! I've been looking for an anime dominant forum for quite a while because I put manga on the backburner for now in favor of anime .
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 16:02   Link #2094
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
I guess you were right, but according to what you said, it might be short lived. Zen's fight lasted only like 4 or 5 chapters. I haven't read the latest chapter, but I think Medaka will fall back to it's home. At any rate, good to see Medaka earning it's keep. Perhaps these good rankings will result in a focus shift from Medaka to Zen.

And thanks for the welcome! I've been looking for an anime dominant forum for quite a while because I put manga on the backburner for now in favor of anime .
You know, I probably should get into anime, but the squeaky Japanese voices tend to kill it for me... and I hate waiting for episodes to download. Much quicker to just read them.

The Akune fight, for me anyway, hasn't been anything special and from I've seen for chapter 40, it's just getting stranger and stranger.
Old 2010-03-01, 02:44   Link #2095
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstorm View Post
Funny how people were saying volume sales don't matter, all these color pages we see for Kuroko and now Medaka are rewards for volume sales.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 07:02   Link #2096
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Funny how people were saying volume sales don't matter, all these color pages we see for Kuroko and now Medaka are rewards for volume sales.
Yet, Ane-doki, whose first volume actually sold better than MB was cancelled. Of course, it was probably cut before volume totals came in, which they're probably smacking themselves in the head over now because they could have made a ton of money from a other volume. It's just amazing how stupifying the WSJ cut system is.
Old 2010-03-01, 10:17   Link #2097
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Kuroko was getting color whored even before its volumes sold anything decent though. At least now its a bit justified. Even if only slightly.

In Medaka's case, no attention was paid to it color-wise until after two of its volumes sold well so it looks like

Quote:
Yet, Ane-doki, whose first volume actually sold better than MB was cancelled. Of course, it was probably cut before volume totals came in, which they're probably smacking themselves in the head over now because they could have made a ton of money from a other volume. It's just amazing how stupifying the WSJ cut system is.
It most likely was. Although I also get the feeling that someone higher up just probably doesn't like Kawashita or something. Although I think people overrate Ichigo 100% too much, a hit is still a hit.

Hatsukoi sold fairly well and Ane-Doki ended up selling very well with its first volume. Even if volume 2 fizzled out in comparison to Medaka 2 & 3, I think its ridiculous that they chose her series to boot when they should know by now she has a chance of selling well. If volume 1 flopped then cutting it would have made more sense.

But oh well, I guess they only cared about getting HxH back in. Seeing Ane-Doki about to go on a last place losing streak didn't help its chances without concrete volume numbers on its side at that time.
Old 2010-03-02, 04:04   Link #2098
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Ane Doki made way for Hunter x Hunter, that call would've been made before tank sales were out. Hunter X Hunter has been one of the biggest manga titles in Jump and shounen overall in the last decade. For a good reason too.. pity these constant hiatus have just hurt the series period.

And yeah another volume of Ane Doki would've probably outsold 2 volumes worth of Shingami and Rillenthial.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-04, 17:09   Link #2099
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Ok, just saw the RAWs for 41...... O.O.... This gets weirder and weirder.

Spoiler:
Old 2010-03-04, 17:33   Link #2100
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
Ok, just saw the RAWs for 41...... O.O.... This gets weirder and weirder.

Spoiler:
You dont say
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council