AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-07-04, 21:51   Link #61
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Now why couldn't Wing Commander be even half as epic?
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 06:32   Link #62
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Finally got to see this film (with subs). It isn't bad. Takes more or less the plots from the first two Yamato movies and runs with the better parts of each.

There are some...issues I might have with some changes, but they aren't really a problem. The music is fine...the acting is, alright, for live action Japanese drama. The designs work for the most part, though I wonder about the design changes to the Gamilons a little.

Two "complaints"
1. They didn't really have the massive fleet battle part from the first film in any real sense (Rainbow Nebula Battle). They had the ending of it in there, but there really wasn't the massive space battle...it was more, some shots fired by the Gamilons, The Black Tigers flying out, followed by the Wave Motion Gun blowing the entire enemy fleet up at long range (not even really getting to see the enemy fleet all that well in that battle)...and that followed by the whole third bridge section that was in the first film.

2. The ending. I know it is about the same as the second films ending, but I didn't like that ending either. It certainly makes having a sequel a lot harder with that ending (that was why they changed it when they made the second season to replace the second film in the timeline). The Final Yamato ending is also similar, but more satifying since you can see what is happening rather than it being a tiny thing in the distance (and then in Rebirth, it got better).

The secondary to the second complaint is that I would like a sequel that covered the White Comet Empire series instead of just taking the best parts of the last battles in that film for this one. I really want to see what they would do for the at least semi-effective EDF fleet with the Andromeda in live action. The Beginning battle (originally at Pluto, but here at Mars) was interesting, if short with Earths ships looking sort of like old school Gamilon ships with Earth touches (twin turets and more earthlike bridges) while the Gamilons look very different. The EDF (aside from the fighters) being completely ineffective was disheartening. Even in the first series they EDF could destroy Gamilon ships, just not very effective, and certianly not in high enough numbers. This time they did absolutely nothing but be targets for the Gamilons to destroy. Yamato however is rather effective, as she should be. Even if they are using the fighters as spotters (laser designator style almost) for the main guns.

The Wave Motion Gun is as effective as ever, though I would complain that its destructive abilities are only seen at a distance. We don't get those close up shots of ships disintegrating under its fire anymore...just explosions in the distance....some of them rather large though.
Old 2011-08-18, 13:23   Link #63
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but I was wondering what Yamato movie these clips are from? I have yet to see this one.

Old 2011-08-18, 13:33   Link #64
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but I was wondering what Yamato movie these clips are from? I have yet to see this one.

Spoiler for Tidiness:
Not movie. A Pachinko machine.

Here's a commercial to explain,

Spoiler for Tidiness:
Cheers.
Old 2011-08-18, 13:35   Link #65
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Wow, a game, eh? Thanks.

EDIT: I forgot to add that this is legitimately disappointing as well.

Last edited by Endless Soul; 2011-08-18 at 14:37.
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 17:09   Link #66
Tiberium Wolf

Awesome movie. I wish there were more life action sci-fi from japan.
Old 2011-08-21, 13:08   Link #67
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That machine makes me want to see the live action version of the Comet Empire series. Especially the Battle of Saturn.
Old 2011-11-10, 17:36   Link #68
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

For those not paying attention to the Upcoming Series threads:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=108257

A new animated remake has been announced to be released in April of 2012, titled: "Space Battleship Yamato 2199".

This post is just to get attention to the movie and the other thread so it doesn't look lonely.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2011-11-11 at 21:23.
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 22:11   Link #69
AnimeMecha

That Pachinko machine is a blast - I currently have the previous model and will play it for hours. You get to play through the primary battles in season 1.

Here are a few pics I took including a pachinko parlor flag used during it's release:

Yamato Pachinko Machine
Old 2011-11-11, 17:02   Link #70
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well there is this now: http://www.yamato2199.net/movie/yamato-PV.wmv
Old 2011-11-11, 21:05   Link #71
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I can hardly wait! !
That PV brings back fond memories as a kid watching the original on the big screen.
Looks as if they kept the original design for most of the crafts which really looks good even today.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-11, 22:08   Link #72
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Just an update about the new movie: it will be a compilation of the first two episodes of a new TV series!

But that is off-topic for this thread. Let's move the discussion to the Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (movie & TV) thread.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-12, 04:19   Link #73
Vanguard

Im watching it now finally Thank u Play-Asia well anyway the only thing that annoy me is that the Doctor with the cat is played as a Female and I know for sure in the anime the doctor was a he wonder why a they used a woman instead.
Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-12, 11:16   Link #74
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

All I can say about that is that he got Starbucked.
Old 2011-11-12, 12:36   Link #75
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The role didn't require a male touch within the story as given. And I imagine it would be difficult to find a really, really short, and ugly-ish male actor that could do the role. Because they didn't need the Doctor for the life leasons and other plots he use to give out, all they needed was someone to be a doctor, and carry a cat and a large bottle of sake. Since Yuki was made a fighter pilot, I suppose they rolled up the doctor and Yuki's nurse role to give us a female doctor.

The ship's navigator turned into a woman as well. He's role was almost backround to start with so no one really noticed.

Yuki's role changed from the alert radar, eviromental systems officer, moral officer, and nurse (and usually the only woman on the ship), to ace fighter pilot with a quick punching arm.

Shima's role (verse Kodai) changed from rival to something else.

There were a lot of relatively small changes to make this work as a stand alone movie. Most do not make much of a difference, just that if they had been left as they were they would have made for other plotlines or twists that the movie just could not be bothered with.
Old 2011-11-12, 21:43   Link #76
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
There were a lot of relatively small changes to make this work as a stand alone movie. Most do not make much of a difference, just that if they had been left as they were they would have made for other plotlines or twists that the movie just could not be bothered with.
Not to mention a sequel hook...

<joins with Ithekro in pining for the fjords a CGI Andromeda>
Old 2011-11-13, 23:29   Link #77
AnimeMecha

Agree with Ithekro - for live action it's not bad. I don't really like changes that didn't really add anything - the Doctor, Analyzer-super-bot, Yuki becoming a pilot, the Gamilons not having much depth. It felt like there were a lot of changes just to play up plot that didn't need to be there. Had this been some no-name title with little following I could see it - but changing major characters (for me) in a classic was tough to swallow. On the plus side, animation was pretty good. Agree that I was waiting for a space battle that didn't happen. The end was a open door to a sequel, but again changes that could have been made closer to the original.
Old 2011-11-15, 19:00   Link #78
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Some day, maybe we will get a new, non-game version of this:

Or basically the 21st episode of the Second season mixed with the movie version of the same events.
Old 2013-12-24, 14:03   Link #79
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Funimation licenses another Yamato film for a 2014 release: Funimation Adds Live-Action Space Battleship Yamato Film

Tags
yamato