AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Guilty Crown

Notices

Old 2011-10-21, 10:19   Link #961
tsunade666

I don't think that crazy dude has undergo testing because just touching him makes him go crazybatshit mode. Plus he got the attitude that no one can touch him because if you do "I'll tell papa about you" such an idiot guy. Well the anime did good job because they make me hate that guy.
Old 2011-10-21, 10:36   Link #962
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

BTW, which is the correct name of Gai's group? The Undertakers or Funeral Parlor?
Old 2011-10-21, 10:44   Link #963
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

It's not directly translated. Undertaker isn't quite the right translation for it, but it's sure as hell better than Funeral Parlor.

In fact funeral Parlor couldn't be farther away from the actual meaning of the term hougisha...

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 10:46   Link #964
tsunade666

then why was it translated as funeral parlor?
Old 2011-10-21, 11:20   Link #965
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

"The right to use my friend as a weapon. That is my sinful crown."

The former sentence seemingly refers to sacrificing the people you love for your own aims. In chess, in order to keep the king, you have to sacrifice his pawns. That's probably what the slogan refers to.

This is a really pretty looking show. There's no doubting that. But the premise is still dumb as hell. It's like the anime equivalent of Transformers 3.

If the show were more campy or more self-aware, then I wouldn't have a single problem with the things it was doing. But Guilty Crown seems to be taking itself completely seriously while having a catgirl pilot a giant robot with her butt. The fanservice is at odds with the kind of show it's trying to be (Eden of the East, GiTS). Whenever women are in pain (i.e. Ayase), they look sexy. The gestures and movements made by the characters are stereotypical. The catgirl has a stupid speech tic.

People compare this to Code Geass, but the two are fundamentally different. The fun thing about Code Geass was that it never passed up an opportunity to make fun of itself a bit. It was over the top; the characters were best described as flamboyant and it was completely ridiculous all of the way through. Just about everyone in the show wore some crazy outfit, and their gestures were fabulous max. There was tons of fanservice, but it wasn't limited to just women. Those elements also helped you suspend your disbelief, and ultimately made it an entertaining show.

Also, Inori is an object. I hope this is some thematic thing the director is doing, since she literally does transform into one. But her personality? First episode, "Use me." This newest episode? "I already belong to you." Come on. Ugh.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 11:36   Link #966
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
But Guilty Crown seems to be taking itself completely seriously while having a catgirl pilot a giant robot with her butt.
Um, that's wrong. Ayase (the redhaired girl in the pod) was piloting. Tsugumi was just the operations manager.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 11:39   Link #967
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Um, that's wrong. Ayase (the redhaired girl in the pod) was piloting. Tsugumi was just the operations manager.
*a catgirl managing giant robot operations with her butt.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 11:44   Link #968
dresden

Quote:
Now imagine if Ayase could pilot robots with her butt - or would if she could actually stand.

Maybe she could use her boobs.
dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 11:45   Link #969
wm4

Quote:
You should blame Steven Spielberg to bring gesturing into operations, instead
of the girl in that show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dresden View Post
Now imagine if Ayase could pilot robots with her butt - or would if she could actually stand.
Tsugumi does not have the leg issue.
wm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 11:47   Link #970
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

Still kind of on the fence on this one. Hopefully it picks later same with the main character. Had good animation but it takes more than that for me to praise a show. Haven't been drawn into it let.
Old 2011-10-21, 12:00   Link #971
klare

many things not making sense and we even see the usual transfer student move, but the amazing animations and actions in these 2 episodes are enough for me to continue

hope we not gonna be in daily school life mode for the upcoming episodes
Old 2011-10-21, 12:09   Link #972
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

So Gai wanted the Genome power for himself all along? Suspicious...

I hope that kaleidoscope guy quickly dies...he just annoys me to no end in every way...
Old 2011-10-21, 12:10   Link #973
tsunade666

school life mode would be good if it can give depth to the characters. Specially the main heroine Inori and MC Shuu. They are so flat that Gai has more character to him even though I hate this guy. If they can do character developments in the next episode then it would be good because honestly the story is kinda boring and it's the type that you want to see as fast it's been release but not the type to watch again and again or hook you up.
Old 2011-10-21, 12:19   Link #974
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
So Gai wanted the Genome power for himself all along? Suspicious...
I know the Funeral Parlor people are the good guys, but Gai's speech about winning the Survival of the Fittest battle was very creepy. Is this a translation issue? or is the show OK with social Darwinism?
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 12:20   Link #975
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Seems like Gai really likes to make dramatic entries by standing on tall structures you have no idea how he managed to get on, all so that he can look down on his enemies.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 12:40   Link #976
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Does gai even mean anything or is it just a cheap version of Kai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
^ you act like gai had a choice in regards to shu keeping his void power.
He's talking about him not tacking the genome when it was still a bottle.
Old 2011-10-21, 12:53   Link #977
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
I know the Funeral Parlor people are the good guys, but Gai's speech about winning the Survival of the Fittest battle was very creepy. Is this a translation issue? or is the show OK with social Darwinism?
Funeral Parlor are the hero of justice in this series but I can't say for its leader yet. Gai's philosophy isn't like any hero would use. His philosophy reminds me of Shishio from Rurouni Kenshin. And that Shishio wants to conquer japan and stand it in top.

Here in this story. Japan was under control by foreign countries. Does Gai intend to go against such huge force with only little back up
Old 2011-10-21, 13:17   Link #978
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
Thus why Gai may be not what he seems.
Old 2011-10-21, 13:27   Link #979
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Here in this story. Japan was under control by foreign countries. Does Gai intend to go against such huge force with only little back up
His blonde hair sort of says Gai isn't even Japanese. Just like Shu, Gai's family probably is involved with the evil foreigners!
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 13:33   Link #980
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
His blonde hair sort of says Gai isn't even Japanese. Just like Shu, Gai's family probably is involved with the evil foreigners!
-_- You got me there......... he doesn't even resemble a bit of japanese on him. Unless his half half like Kodaka. I forgot the long haired guy is blond

Tags
action, noitamina, production_ig