AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-08, 20:35   Link #1
word sux

Good anime movies

I have had an itch to see some good anime movies and was wondering if I can get any recommendations. It seems that the 90's had a monopoly on epic anime movies (armitage, ghost in the shell etc). I was wondering if there has been any epic anime movies I have been missing since I have not seen many..
Old 2012-06-08, 20:46   Link #2
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Let's see what I have:

Ahem:

5cms Per Second - It's about a couple who grew close and drifted from each other over periods of time.

Loups=Garous - It's about a monitored society where cameras and security systems make up everyday life. A group of girls find a way to escape the system but endanger their lives in the process.

Kara no Kyoukai - The Garden of Sinners - It's a seven OAV movie series about an amnesiac girl with a special power who ends up in terrifying and brutal incidents that seemed to be drawn to her.

That's all I can say for now. Many others have great suggestions, but this is what I can think of off the top of my head. So what do you think?

Last edited by Kirito; 2012-06-08 at 21:42.
Old 2012-06-08, 21:10   Link #3
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Did you have a specific genre, content, style or director in mind? And which ones have you watched?

Here's some general suggestions:

Miyazaki movies - he doesn't like the adult world, or humans much either. So he focuses on children and feelgood/coming-of-/young female protagonist works mainly. Although he has made a couple of darker ones.
--------------------
Spirited Away - His most popular with good reason.
Kiki's Delivery Service
From Up on Poppy Hill
Lupin: The Castle of Count Cagliostro
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Howl's Moving Castle
Porco Rosso
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
My Neighbour Totoro
Princess Mononoke

Satoshi Kon films - master of the mindbend and thriller. He was a fair maverick up until his recent death.
----------------------------
Paprika
Tokyo Godfathers
Millenium Actress
Perfect Blue

Makoto Shinkai films - focuses on the yearning, innocence and agony of young love but is lately trying to explore other themes. A self-made director who started out just by himself then gained signficant backing as a result.
-------------------------
Voices of a Distant Star (technically an OVA but a good wat to start with his works)
Beyond the Clouds - The Promised Place
5cm per Second
Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below

Mamoru Oshii films - You said you liked the Ghost in the Shell movie. He did that. Social/world/futuristic themes are in a lot of his works. He's slower and more serious than the norm and anti-Miyazaki/Hollywood.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Patlabor 1 & 2
Jin-Roh
Ghost in the Shell movies (3 all up)
The Sky Crawlers

Mamoru Hosoda - Relatively new but successful director. Focuses on high-school/young adult protagonists. Somewhat similar to Miyazaki but notable differences in content/outcomes.
-----------------------------------------
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Summer Wars
Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki
(released later this month)

Other ones
---------------

Redline
Garden of Sinners (series of 7 movies)
Macross: Do You Remember Love?
Whisper of the Heart
Wings of Honneaise
Akira
Interstellar 5555
The Borrowers Arrietty
The Cat Returns
Brave Story
Old 2012-06-08, 21:40   Link #4
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

@Last Sinner

Isn't Interstella 5555 a compilation of Daft Punk's video clips?
Either way, your suggestions are terrific.

I'm gonna add Detective Conan's movies to the list, since they're pretty entertaining. You don't have to follow the series to understand the movies. Just watch them in order of their release ^^.
Old 2012-06-08, 21:52   Link #5
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

The movie that definitely stands out, in my opinion, is The disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. However, you need to have watched the two seasons of The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya in order to understand something out of it. Still, if you are willing to venture in the world of Haruhi, the movie will become some sort of godlike product. The anime is a school-life/comedy/supernatural/psychological and contains a little romance: it's about a particular girl, named Haruhi, who is bored and would like to meet aliens, espers and time travellers; the unlucky guy who'll have to deal with her is a normal student, nicknamed Kyon (that will be the humorous narrator of this story); moreover, it looks like Haruhi is some sort of deity, and whatever she wishes, it becomes true, but she's unaware of this. Also, if she ever came to know of this, she could destroy the world and remake it on her own. The job of our protagonist, will be to keep Haruhi entertained, in order not to bore her and make her wish for a new world. This will be achieved with the help of 3 more characters, that are respectively a time traveller, an esper and an alien. It's more than this, i just tried to give out a little synopsis. The first 6 episodes of the first season will be more than enough to hook you up to this series.

The movie animation is really flawless, the framing is awesome, the music fits very well the whole atmosphere, from the beginning to the end, and the plot is twisted... After the first time i watched it, i fell in some kind of post anime depression, lol, because i thought i wouldn't have been able to find something awesome like that, and stopped for some time. I actually never found something better, but in my way i happened to watch some other series that could be put on the level of Haruhi series (Naturally i'm talking under my pov).

I can assure you that the movie is worth watching the 2 seasons (It lasts 2h and 40 mins).

EDIT
Oh ye, seconding Summer Wars (Awesome artwork and animation) and The girl who leapt through time

Last edited by Classified Info; 2012-06-08 at 22:08.
Old 2012-06-08, 23:20   Link #6
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
@Last Sinner

Isn't Interstella 5555 a compilation of Daft Punk's video clips?
Either way, your suggestions are terrific.
Daft Punk are big fans of Leiji Matsumoto, who oversaw the direction of the film. The film is the visual realization of Discovery, an album by Daft Punk. Each track from the album has been animated as an episode in the story of the abduction and rescue of an interstellar pop band.

So your statement is somewhat true. However, there is a story told from start to finish that flows from track to track. Matsumoto's character designs compliment the music well. It was essentially two groups of artists from two different mediums deciding to have some fun. Whether one can like the film is fairly dependent on liking Daft Punk. That said, it is unique and was well worth the effort put in.
Old 2012-06-09, 00:04   Link #7
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
So your statement is somewhat true. However, there is a story told from start to finish that flows from track to track. Matsumoto's character designs compliment the music well. It was essentially two groups of artists from two different mediums deciding to have some fun. Whether one can like the film is fairly dependent on liking Daft Punk. That said, it is unique and was well worth the effort put in.
Yeah, I remember that story. It’s kinda sad when...
Spoiler for Major plot point:
Old 2012-06-09, 00:10   Link #8
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Seconding Redline, Summer Wars, and Miyazaki movies

Also suggest:
Colorful
Bungaku Shoujo

Eve no Jikan
MAL
Old 2012-06-09, 00:30   Link #9
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm glad someone suggested Colorful, because while many of the usual suspects are wonderful movies, this one rarely gets the attention is deserves. It's absolutely superb.
Old 2012-06-09, 04:26   Link #10
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I'll second everything Last Sinner suggested as well as Coloful

I'll add Mardock Scramble to the list
Old 2012-06-09, 16:58   Link #11
word sux

thanks for the help! this gives me allot of material to work with.
Old 2012-06-09, 17:46   Link #12
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I didn't see Hotarubi no Mori e on anyone's list, so I am going to add that. It's a short movie lasting only about 50 minutes or so, but a very moving one and a good romance film.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
Old 2012-06-11, 17:46   Link #13
word sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
I didn't see Hotarubi no Mori e on anyone's list, so I am going to add that. It's a short movie lasting only about 50 minutes or so, but a very moving one and a good romance film.

thanks I will check it out!

Almost done with The melancholy of haruhi suzumiya so I can watch the movie but I have to say

WTF IS WITH THE ENDLESS EIGHT! I went throw all of that, 3 hours ish of the same episode over and over and expected to see some sort of kiss or professing of his love for haruhi and what do I get? HOMEWORK, baosifguhjeruirhfueiarhguiaehfugierhuifehuifes
Old 2012-06-12, 07:16   Link #14
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by word sux View Post
WTF IS WITH THE ENDLESS EIGHT! I went throw all of that, 3 hours ish of the same episode over and over and expected to see some sort of kiss or professing of his love for haruhi and what do I get? HOMEWORK, baosifguhjeruirhfueiarhguiaehfugierhuifehuifes
KyoAni turned a 30-page section of the light novel into 8 episodes. People raged but 13k people still bought the E8 section of the show. KyoAni laughed.

FYI, Yuki actually suffers that for 1500 days in the light novel.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:20   Link #15
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Why don't you give Macross Frontier: Itsuwari no Utahime & Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa a shot when you have time.

You have to watch the Macross Frontier anime first to understand the movies. If you like mecha, love triangle, and space battle romance story this is right up your alley.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:15   Link #16
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
Why don't you give Macross Frontier: Itsuwari no Utahime & Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa a shot when you have time.

You have to watch the Macross Frontier anime first to understand the movies. If you like mecha, love triangle, and space battle romance story this is right up your alley.
I think if word_sux is done with the tv series, he/she can jump straight to the second movie and watch the last 15 minutes
Old 2012-06-12, 12:28   Link #17
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ghibli stuff is generally great imo - plenty of choices there.

Others? Many have already mentioned ones I would suggest ... I guess I would add:

Metropolis
Mai Mai Shinko to Sennen o Mahou
Kumo no You ni, Kaze no You ni

I also enjoyed Yobi the Five-Tailed Fox.
Old 2012-06-12, 18:52   Link #18
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Grave of the Firefoxesflies (to cry hard)
Nanoha the Movie 1st (it's good too).
Evangelion films? (Rebuild)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann has films too (1 & 2).